What is the Legal Status of the Undead?

I am aware of two classes of undead people that ought to concern us:

1. Zombies: these are re-animated corpses, who display no human emotions. their sole aim is to eat the brains of living humans. How are they handled under the law?
  2. Those people in “Coldsleep”: thse are people who have been frozen, at the point of death. They will be revived at some future date-what is their status?
    I would like to know; are any lawyers pioneering this legal frontier?

I for one am terrified of zombie lawyers. (Or is it lawyer zombies?)

There is no legal status for something which doesn’t exist.

By and large, human remains are treated as the property of the deceased’s estate.

If I understand correctly, zombies have no remnants of their former human personalities, and are completely incapable of human standards of behavior. So they have no status as people.

Coldsleep needs clarifying: if you’re talking about a state of suspended animation in which they maintained in a revivable condition, then they’re still alive but unconcious. If they’re currently unrevivable, but frozen in the hopes that someday their bodies can be rebuilt at the cellular/ molecular level, then they’re legally dead.

You call it “coldsleep.” We call it “organ banks.”

The kzinti call it “the frozen food section.”

You forgot about vampires.

Like Discworld’s Mr. Slant?

If you don’t get recorded in public records as dead, I suspect your legal status is going to be that of a free citizen.
Of course, if you’re not going to play nice with others and insist on eating their brain, you’ll wind up burnt, sliced, diced, imprisoned or declared incompetent in probate court.

Disclaimer: I’ll point out that my being licenced to practice practice law in your jurisdiction is every bit as likely that the OP’s question matters.

What’s practice law, and when are they going to let you practice real law?

Well, there was a discussion on how zombies would inherit property over at lawdopers: can blackacre vest in a zombie? - Cafe Society - Straight Dope Message Board.

Whoops. Missed the edit window on that one.

If these issues ever ended up in my court:

1. As you say, they’re re-animated corpses. Until the legislature provides otherwise, however, their deaths stripped them of all rights in the first place. In seeking to eat the braaaaaaaaaaaains of living humans, they are now analogous to dangerous animals, and may be destroyed with no legal consequences for the scared nubile teenager holding the shotgun.

2. Those in coldsleep are incompetent but not dead. Just like someone in an irreversible coma, they cannot be removed from life support and deprived of life without due process of law. Killing them would be murder. I suppose if a coldsleeper (band name!) had left a durable power of attorney, the holder of her POA could sue and be sued on her behalf, but otherwise she’s pretty much “on ice” legally-speaking for the duration of her medically-induced slumber. I know of no attorneys currently practicing coldsleep law.

They are no longer considered married.

I dunno about the undead, but in Ontario at least there is actual legal precident for the legal status of Martians.

I’m an Ontario lawyer, and I was tangentally involved in that case.

Emphasis added.

There is a legal reason the case went the way it did, which I’ll bore people with if they want to know. :smiley:

Do your judges always give such a detailed explanation when they toss out a case that’s clearly toss-bait?

There is a reason - appellate courts at that time in particular did not like cases being dismissed on a summary basis. Thus the more explaination you give, the more chance you will not be overturned.

The problem in this case was a rational-sounding person arguing a case with some drafting skill which was based on an obviously absurd premise - that he was a Martian. The problem is that it is difficult to dismiss a case at the preliminary motion stage because the evidence for it sucks or is absurd - much easier to dismiss based on some legal failing. In this case, “Martians do not have standing to sue” = doesn’t require evidence to prove.

[Much to the detriment of any real Martians who happen to sue in Ontario in the future. :D]

I am a lawyer, shoot away. If something like that had occurred in England it would have been tossed out in 2 minutes, the guy would have had a wasted costs order against him, and a visit to the Judges chambers, and it won’t be about what a fine advocate he was.

Could you use that as a defense in a criminal case?

Yes, I shot the bastard, but here are the results of a DNA test that conclusively proves that I’m not a human. Can I go now?

At that time (end of the 90s) the Ontario appellate courts were on the warpath over “excessive” use of summary motions proceedings to turf out cases before trial. They were sending the message to the lower courts not to punt cases because the lower court judges didn’t like them because the evidence wasn’t sufficient.

Now, in theory at least, whether or not this guy was a Martian is an evidentiary issue. An absurd one, but there it is. By structuring it as a question of standing, the judge framed it as a legal issue, not an evidentiary one.

Of course, she goes on to say that the case is absurd and a waste of time. The song and dance about standing is a “belt and suspenders” approach, used just to forestall appellate court interference.

You will note of course the “Martian” plaintiff got costs awarded against him.