1,474 Megapixel Photo of Obama's inauguration

I did a search to see if this had been posted, but couldn’t find anything, apologies if it’s already been shown on here.

This is an incredible piece of photographic work. I put five pictures together in a panorama and was proud; this is made up of two hundred at twenty.

You can view it fullscreen here.

Could spend hours just zooming in and looking at people’s faces in the shot, the detail is incredible.

Enjoy!

Wow, that is very, very cool.

make that two hundred and twenty

Incredibly cool.

But check out the lower right. Along the low fence that runs diagonally through the picture and just below the rightmost legs of the tower.Disembodied legs!

Well, I know how I’m going to spend a couple hours later tonight…

Is anyone else thinking that this picture would make one badass game of I spy? Truly a remarkable picture. I’ll be plaing with it a lot tonight I think.

If you go to the www.gigapan.org site (also linked from David Bergman’s site (the first link in the OP)) and click on the picture–it’s the headliner there–it expands to give pan controls and a row of detail snapshots at the bottom. You can then hit any of the snapshots and it’ll zoom in to that snapshot. People were spotting themselves in the crowd. :slight_smile:

CSI Tech Geek: Now, if I zoom in and enhance this picture taken by an ATM camera from across the street. There’s your murderer.

Former Stripper CSI Woman: Good job CSI Tech Geek. And I can’t believe you were able to do that in five seconds when this schmuck required 6 and a half hours of computer processing time.

The mind boggles.

I spy…

With my little eye…

David Gregory?

I found Waldo.

The grassy knoll looks clear as day.

I like the floating hat in front of Aretha Franklin.
What is Laura Bush doing under that blanket to put such a smile on her face?
Burberry scarves seem to be a very popular item.

That is just about one one the coolest things I’ve ever seen on the net. Seriously.

Wake up Clarence, you’re missing everything!!!

Check out the three-headed dude behind Jimmy Carter (shades and orange hat) to the right of the Clintons and The older Bushes.

Drats, can’t do a screen grab.

If you look at the bottom right of the picture, there’s a concrete wall intersecting the metal railing. Zoom into the police officer standing in front of the wall. See the woman in the black jacket with the camera that has a big lens? Anne Leibowitz.

If you look about three rows in front of the police officer, there’s a guy with gray hair and a dark coat grabbing his head. I believe that’s Dustin Hoffman.

(I know a guy who sat in that section who saw both of them.)

You know, I thought my new hat was old-mannish, and now that I see Jimmy Carter wearing it, that clinches it.

Seriously. Same style, same color. It’s probably even leather suede too.

I can’t decide who looks more bored, Newt Gingrich or Dan Quayle. Maybe it’s that both of them seem to be looking dead at the camera.

Is that John McCain with a navy hat on? Has anybody spotted Sarah Palin yet?

There are some neat bunches of folks on roof tops in the distance and you can even read the banners on the construction site in the distance: Morrow.

I want to see somebody famous in one of the windows of those faraway buildings or else somebody watching TV.

I can’t spot anything illegal going on in the port-a-potties.

There are quite a few obvious seams between photos. Some are weird in that they’re moments-apart views of the same individual.

What is that figure (bronze?) on the very top of the Capitol?

The best part is the look on Bush’s face.

Freedom.