The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:07 PM

Did the Romans really train apes to rape women?

Did the ancient Romans really train apes to rape human women or was that something HBO made up for Rome?
Old 02-01-2009, 10:49 PM
Charter Member

I've never heard of this in any history I've read. I did read something similar once but it was in a historical novel - and it was Egyptians not Romans.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

How many women would they have to go through before the training finally took effect?

(And when I say go through, I mean go through. )
Old 02-01-2009, 11:35 PM

Wait, was there a reference to ape rape on HBO's Rome? I don't remember that. It's been a while, though. What happened?
Old 02-01-2009, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
Did the ancient Romans really train apes to rape human women or was that something HBO made up for Rome?
For what reason would they have allegedly done this?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:06 AM

in all the history I've taken and all the books i've read I've never heard any mention of this.

As Fell through the ice said, why would they do this? To be more specific, the men of their armies did enough raping, I don't think training animals to do the same would be necessary
Old 02-02-2009, 01:30 AM

I'm surprised nobody else has heard of this. I had, and did a Google search for lions raping women rome, or some such word string, and found a few references.

Joe
Old 02-02-2009, 01:36 AM

I don't recall specifically reading accounts of Roman Ape Rape.

However:

In the only extant Roman novel (The Metamorphoses by Apuleius), a donkey is trained for this purpose. It's doubtful IMO that this was actually done, however, since the book is heavilly fantastical. The Romans were fans of making spectacles of horrific punishments, but in general they let Roman women maintain modesty, even as criminals.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam Zeh Yaavor View Post
I don't recall specifically reading accounts of Roman Ape Rape.
You mean you didn't know that's where the word comes from? Roman Ape - just look at it. I've been Roman Aped. You've been R-aped?

It's perfectly obvious!
Old 02-02-2009, 02:13 AM

"Get your stinking paws off me you damn..." oh, never mind.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Wait, was there a reference to ape rape on HBO's Rome? I don't remember that. It's been a while, though. What happened?
Brutus and Cassius are out in the sticks trying to bargain with some Pontic potentate to gain financial backing for their army. The bejewelled potentate practically twirls his moustache as he inquires, "I hear there is a performance where Roman women have intercourse with baboons. I would like to see that!" Cassius clears his throat as he tries to get the conversation back on track: "Um, actually, it's more of a punishment . . ."
Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervorin View Post
You mean you didn't know that's where the word comes from? Roman Ape - just look at it. I've been Roman Aped. You've been R-aped?

It's perfectly obvious!
Rape Ape! Rape Ape!
Old 02-02-2009, 03:20 AM

During Pinochet's rule in Chile it was reported they used dogs trained to rape women. If you can train dogs to do it I'm sure you can train apes.
Quote:
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/radical...79.1meade.html

One of the guards was a female carabinero (policeman) named Ingrid Olderock who was a dog trainer for the police. She used her particular talents to train a German shepherd dog to rape women. The police called the dog "Bellodilla," which was the name of the head of the Chilean Communist Party. Olderock is alive and lives in Nunoa (a section of Santiago), where she is retired on a comfortable pension.
That was the regime the U.S.A supported in their coup against democratically-elected president Salvador Allende.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopeJewish View Post
in all the history I've taken and all the books i've read I've never heard any mention of this.

As Fell through the ice said, why would they do this? To be more specific, the men of their armies did enough raping, I don't think training animals to do the same would be necessary
Well, the men of the armies did plenty of killing, too, but they still also trained animals to do it as punishment (for the recipient, not the animal) and spectacle.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 AM

Probably not apes, as generally they do not have large penises.

Quote:
Man is the ape, the monkey and the primate with the biggest penis!

Gorilla males, which dwarf humans in size, have minute penises compared to ours, no thicker and longer than a pencil. Other apes do not reach even this size.

In some African countries, saying that one is 'hung like a gorilla' is considered an insult.
http:/ /news.softpedia.com/news/ The-Largest-Penis-in-the-World-43756.shtml
Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dervorin View Post

It's perfectly obvious!
This post has been Times New Romaned by the Timed New Romaner!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:58 AM

The only institutionalized bestiality that I'm aware of was that they supposedly executed a woman by putting her in a contraption to enact the myth of Pasiphae and the bull.

The Romans were strange and brutal, but I've never heard anything about apes.

(It's days like today, when I realize I know far too much about ancient bestiality, that I start to question my life choices.)
Old 02-02-2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
That was the regime the U.S.A supported in their coup against democratically-elected president Salvador Allende.
Which has what to do with the OP's question?

I read a book about Roman gladiators and other spectacles a few years ago. I can't remember the title. I do remember thinking, while I was reading it, that the author was just making shit up. He claimed the Roman entertainments included:
1. Women being raped by apes.
2. Women being raped by donkeys.
3. Women being raped by big cats.
(a recurring theme in these rapes was that the women were singers, dancers, or other entertainers set upon in the middle of a performance.)
4. A ship full of musicians and singers being deliberately sunk, drowning all the entertainers in the process.
5. Entertainers being killed by armed men in the middle of a performance.
6. Gladiators killing animals.
7. Gladiators killing each other.

The gladiators fighting animals and each other is true enough. The rest of it sounded suspiciously like a product of the author's diseased mind. How on Urth would they have been able to convince anybody to perform at the Colluseum after the first group of entertainers met some grotesque fate?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Apparently a boatload of performers drowned in a freak storm during Domitian's reign, but the rest sounds pretty unlikely.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:27 PM

Well, over on wikipedia, they repeat this old story, that I'd read in college. And they at least have a reference. But how likely this all is, I don't know. Getting baboons drunk, collecting their females' urine, tossing it on virgins -- seems like a lot of work. If they went to that much trouble, it shouldn't be a one off anecdote, but documented often.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histori...mes_and_Circus
Old 02-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
Brutus and Cassius are out in the sticks trying to bargain with some Pontic potentate to gain financial backing for their army. The bejewelled potentate practically twirls his moustache as he inquires, "I hear there is a performance where Roman women have intercourse with baboons. I would like to see that!" Cassius clears his throat as he tries to get the conversation back on track: "Um, actually, it's more of a punishment . . ."
Technically baboons are monkeys, not apes. I remember that scene and I thought that Cassius was being sarcastic.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
Is it possible that Cassius was just humoring him and this didn't actually occur, either in the universe of the television show or in the real world?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty sure that the anthropoid apes such as gorillas and chimpanzees were unnkown to the Romans. "Ape" in this context would have meant a baboon or macaque, like the Barbary "apes". The HBO reference cited does say baboon however, and some species of short tailed or virtually tailless monkeys can be pretty darn big. I don't know what north African or Egyptian species would have been known to the Romans.

Last edited by Lumpy; 02-02-2009 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: spellign
Old 02-02-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy View Post
I'm pretty sure that the anthropoid apes such as gorillas and chimpanzees were unnkown to the Romans. "Ape" in this context would have meant a baboon or macaque, like the Barbary "apes". The HBO reference cited does say baboon however, and some species of short tailed or virtually tailless monkeys can be pretty darn big. I don't know what north African or Egyptian species would have been known to the Romans.
The Romans knew of at least the existence of great apes, via Carthaginian expeditions into sub-saharan Africa: the account of the voyage of Hanno refers to hairy people called "gorilla," the pelts of which were brought back to Carthage. Since the Roman demand for exotic animals reached as far as India for tigers, I think it's fairly likely that at least a few chimps made their way to Rome proper.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi867 View Post
was that something HBO made up for Rome?
If this is the HBO coproduction with the BBC and RAI, I bet a biscuit that the whole thing is a complete fabrication. It's an entertainment show, and does not adhere even to Discovery/History Channel levels of factual accuracy.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkcon View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see an ancient reference for that. I haven't found anyone writing on the Roman games from a Roman historical perspective talking about anything on that scale.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Looks like a group of Dopers should go salvage that article from bad info.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadaji's linked article View Post
Man is the ape, the monkey and the primate with the biggest penis!
Homo sapiens is not a species of monkey. Which doesn't mean that the rest of the article is wrong, but opening like that probably means they haven't been too rigorous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor's linked article
She used her particular talents to train a German shepherd dog to rape women.
Training a dog in this way seems especially implausible. Their body shape, normal method of intercourse (which is not "doggy style") and lack of dexterity make it very difficult to believe that a dog could have sex with an unwilling female.

Actually it's difficult to believe it's possible with a *willing* female, but I wouldn't like to bet against any such video existing in the torrent realm. (Please don't link any such video ).

Last edited by Mijin; 02-03-2009 at 01:29 PM..
Old 02-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Charter Jays Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Finn View Post
Is it possible that Cassius was just humoring him and this didn't actually occur, either in the universe of the television show or in the real world?
In the show, it's not just possible but obvious Cassius is humouring the guy to try to get the discussion back on track. He's visibly bewildered by the question.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fell through the Ice View Post
For what reason would they have allegedly done this?
Are you kidding? The Romans? "Nail People To Crosses" Romans? "Put Someone In A Bag With A Wild Animal And Toss It All Into A River" Romans? "Feed Him To The Lions" Romans?

These were not nice people. Watching apes rape people would probably qualify as "Good Family Fun," suitable for the kiddies.

I'm not saying that they did this Ape Rape Thing, but honestly, if it turned out to be true, I wouldn't be all that surprised.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijin View Post
Actually it's difficult to believe it's possible with a *willing* female, but I wouldn't like to bet against any such video existing in the torrent realm. (Please don't link any such video ).
It's hard enough to do doggie style and even spooning with two willing humans! I can't imagine an ape or a dog raping a woman in this way.

As for Cassius, I thought he genuinely meant it was a punishment and that no one really watched this for fun.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
3. Women being raped by big cats.
I have trouble getting our cat to use the litter box. Getting it to rape on command---that's something else.

Quote:
4. A ship full of musicians and singers being deliberately sunk, drowning all the entertainers in the process.
5. Entertainers being killed by armed men in the middle of a performance.
That's just some New York Times critic's pipedream.

Last edited by TV time; 02-03-2009 at 02:15 PM..
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 PM

Just a reality check - from a physical geometry point of view unless the woman was tied down and positioned "just so" there is almost no chance of any non-human (including apes) animal being able to forcibly copulate with an unwilling human female. I vote shenanigans on this whole concept.

Last edited by astro; 02-03-2009 at 02:52 PM..
Old 02-03-2009, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Homo sapiens is not a species of monkey. Which doesn't mean that the rest of the article is wrong, but opening like that probably means they haven't been too rigorous.
Any category broad enough to include both the Old World and New World monkeys must necessarily be broad enough to also include the great apes, us included. An Old World monkey is more closely related to a human than it is to a New World monkey.

And strictly speaking, I might point out that the Pontic potentate doesn't actually say it's rape, just intercourse. Certainly there are women out there who would be willing to consent to bestiality, if the pay were good enough.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
Any category broad enough to include both the Old World and New World monkeys must necessarily be broad enough to also include the great apes, us included. An Old World monkey is more closely related to a human than it is to a New World monkey.

And strictly speaking, I might point out that the Pontic potentate doesn't actually say it's rape, just intercourse. Certainly there are women out there who would be willing to consent to bestiality, if the pay were good enough.
Well... this guy's married.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I'm not sure how to respond to this. The word "monkey" means old or new world monkey, and explicitly excludes apes. Look in any dictionary you like.
The relationship between monkeys and other superfamilies is of no relevance.

You might just as well say that we should think of the sun as a planet, since planets like Jupiter are more similar to the sun than they are to planets like Mercury. It's an irrelevance because the sun does not meet the definition of a planet.

The latter part of your post was obviously not addressed at me.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro View Post
Just a reality check - from a physical geometry point of view unless the woman was tied down and positioned "just so" there is almost no chance of any non-human (including apes) animal being able to forcibly copulate with an unwilling human female. I vote shenanigans on this whole concept.
Actually, there is a documented case of an orangutan raping a woman, as told by Biruté Galdikas and repeated in Wrangham and Peterson, "Demonic Males: Apes and the Origins of Human Violence".
Old 02-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm not sure how to respond to this. The word "monkey" means old or new world monkey, and explicitly excludes apes. Look in any dictionary you like.
Any dictionary?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
1. (Zo["o]l.) (a) In the most general sense, any one of the Quadrumana, including apes, baboons, and lemurs. (b) Any species of Quadrumana, except the lemurs. (c) Any one of numerous species of Quadrumana (esp. such as have a long tail and prehensile feet) exclusive of apes and baboons.
In a biology context, monkey can include apes.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Rape Ape
Rape Ape

G.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Training a dog in this way seems especially implausible. Their body shape, normal method of intercourse (which is not "doggy style") and lack of dexterity make it very difficult to believe that a dog could have sex with an unwilling female.

1- I have no idea what you mean when you say dogs don't do it "doggy style". All dogs I have seen did it that way. You need to explain how you think dogs do it.

2- I have seen videos of large dogs fucking women "doggy style" (there's this thing called the "internet"; I'll tell you about it another day) and they did not seem to have much trouble. I mean, not as fast as your average college male who is in and out in a matter of a couple of minutes but they did not seem to have much more difficulty with a human than with a bitch. In fact, a female human on all fours cannot run away like a dog can.

3- You force a woman to remain on all fours, either by immobilizing her or by threats and a German Shepherd will fuck her in a matter of minutes without any problem.

4- There have been many reports of this being done in Argentina and Chile during the dictatorships. It is not new. It was reported at the time and has been confirmed later. Both perpetrators and victims have been named.

5- The cite I gave mentions the name of the place and persons who did it and mentions they have not been prosecuted, like many other known torturers. It is not without details which can be checked. Those details have been reported and confirmed by plenty of news organizations and reporters over the years. Search for "venda sexy" and for "Ingrid Olderock" and you will find plenty of cites.

Quote:
JULY 15, 1981 - Captain Ingrid Olderock survives a murder attempt by the "Popular Resistance Militia," which accuses her of training dogs used in torture.
I think there is plenty of evidence to convince me that it happened. It may be hard to believe there are people like this in the world but historical evidence shows it takes very little for persons to become monsters. A little authority and the knowledge they can get away with it turns your average person into a monster. It happened in Germany, it happened in Japan, it happened in Vietnam, it happened in Abu Ghraib, it happened in Guantanamo. People will torture for fun. It's depressing but it's a fact.

The Chilean and Argentine dictatorships committed all sorts of untold horrors and you can easily find plenty of information online. Why would they fly airplanes out over the ocean and dump people into the ocean to their deaths when they could just as well kill them and bury them? I suppose they just wanted to experience what it is like to push someone out of an airplane to their death, or see how a man reacts when his testicles are electrocuted, or a woman raped by a dog. Sadly that is part of humanity. We want to think we are not like that but wars and history prove otherwise.

I have no difficulty believing the reports of the Chilean Junta.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

You might just as well say that we should think of the sun as a planet, since planets like Jupiter are more similar to the sun than they are to planets like Mercury. It's an irrelevance because the sun does not meet the definition of a planet.

The latter part of your post was obviously not addressed at me.
The thing is, if there is a natural category such as "monkey" it has to include apes and humans. Simple cladistics. Sure, you can arbitrarily exclude some lineages from your definition, but those exclusions are purely arbitrary. It would be like declaring that while lynxes and cheetahs and jaguars and cougars and servals are cats, lions and tigers aren't. Sure, you can define the category of "cat" and exclude lions and tigers, but it wouldn't make any sense.

Similarly, any definition of "monkey" that includes both baboons and howler monkeys has to also include chimps and humans or it doesn't make any sense, because a baboon is more closely related to a human than it is to any new world monkey.

The "apes aren't monkeys" meme is wrongheaded. Apes are a particular kind of monkey, just like humans are a particular kind of ape. Humans are apes, apes are monkeys, monkeys are primates.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
1- I have no idea what you mean when you say dogs don't do it "doggy style". All dogs I have seen did it that way. You need to explain how you think dogs do it.

2- I have seen videos of large dogs fucking women "doggy style" (there's this thing called the "internet"; I'll tell you about it another day) and they did not seem to have much trouble. I mean, not as fast as your average college male who is in and out in a matter of a couple of minutes but they did not seem to have much more difficulty with a human than with a bitch. In fact, a female human on all fours cannot run away like a dog can.

3- You force a woman to remain on all fours, either by immobilizing her or by threats and a German Shepherd will fuck her in a matter of minutes without any problem.

4- There have been many reports of this being done in Argentina and Chile during the dictatorships. It is not new. It was reported at the time and has been confirmed later. Both perpetrators and victims have been named.

5- The cite I gave mentions the name of the place and persons who did it and mentions they have not been prosecuted, like many other known torturers. It is not without details which can be checked. Those details have been reported and confirmed by plenty of news organizations and reporters over the years. Search for "venda sexy" and for "Ingrid Olderock" and you will find plenty of cites.

I think there is plenty of evidence to convince me that it happened. It may be hard to believe there are people like this in the world but historical evidence shows it takes very little for persons to become monsters. A little authority and the knowledge they can get away with it turns your average person into a monster. It happened in Germany, it happened in Japan, it happened in Vietnam, it happened in Abu Ghraib, it happened in Guantanamo. People will torture for fun. It's depressing but it's a fact.

The Chilean and Argentine dictatorships committed all sorts of untold horrors and you can easily find plenty of information online. Why would they fly airplanes out over the ocean and dump people into the ocean to their deaths when they could just as well kill them and bury them? I suppose they just wanted to experience what it is like to push someone out of an airplane to their death, or see how a man reacts when his testicles are electrocuted, or a woman raped by a dog. Sadly that is part of humanity. We want to think we are not like that but wars and history prove otherwise.

I have no difficulty believing the reports of the Chilean Junta.
Which has fuck-all to do with the OP.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:

3- You force a woman to remain on all fours, either by immobilizing her or by threats and a German Shepherd will fuck her in a matter of minutes without any problem.\
Maybe he meant humans don't naturally do it doggie style? Any time I've done it doggie style it's fallen out at least once before going in all the way. And sometimes I get freaked out it'll go in the wrong hole...how are these dogs just managing to get it into the right hole just like that? With a lack of opposable thumbs no less, and a person struggling?
Old 02-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Re. the nomenclature debate about monkeys: even if anatomically, genetically and cladistically there is no such thing as a single group that can exclusively be labelled "monkeys", I have no trouble with it's colloquial use to mean "a comparatively small, quadrapedal, arboreal primate". Heck, I have no quarrel with the term "pachyderm" to mean big hairless African mammals like elephants, rhinos and hippos, even though they are unrelated below the subclass Placentia*.

*or whatever the heck the clade equivalent is these days.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

TMI regarding "doggy style"; you were warned

SPOILER:
Some dogs have penises that stick almost straight back when erect, and they mate rump to rump
Old 02-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleonast View Post
Any dictionary?In a biology context, monkey can include apes.
The link given includes references from 8 dictionaries, all but one of them explicitly exclude apes, and the one that does starts with "In the most general sense...".

So...you scrolled through that page, trying to find a favorable definition, and when you eventually found one, you throw it out there like you're correcting me. Rather disingenuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
First of all, the tone of your whole post seems to me quite defensive. I was not suggesting that you were a liar or otherwise, just that I had difficulty believing the details of the article that you linked. Not that you'd done anything wrong.

In response to your point, I've never seen dogs at it, but I believe that the male is locked in place by his penis, which swells up within the female, and then the male swings a leg over so they're back to back. link

Quote:
2- I have seen videos of large dogs fucking women "doggy style" (there's this thing called the "internet"; I'll tell you about it another day)
Dogs do that humping action on legs or whatever else; perhaps they weren't actually having sex? Actually, this isn't a road I'd really like to explore.

As for this thing called the internet, I won't even dignify that with a rolleyes.

-------------------------

In fact, I was going to respond to all 5 points but we're going far enough off-topic as it is. My current opinion is simple: the concept of animal rape at the moment seems a legend based on hearsay. I don't want to search for "Venda Sexy". If you find a compelling link, let me know.

Last edited by Mijin; 02-03-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Maybe he meant humans don't naturally do it doggie style? Any time I've done it doggie style it's fallen out at least once before going in all the way. And sometimes I get freaked out it'll go in the wrong hole...how are these dogs just managing to get it into the right hole just like that? With a lack of opposable thumbs no less, and a person struggling?
Ohh... and I thought that Chinese girl I dated was using "wong ho" as an endearment.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 PM

I do remember reading a novel set in roman era once (was it I, Claudius?) that mentioned in passing women being raped by "specially trained jaguars" as a public spectacle.

The women in question were either the wives/daughters of traitors to the throne, or were involved in a conspiracy themselves, or were the wives/daughters of an opposing country, or some such.

Heh. This is so vague that it is much like no cite whatsoever.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 AM

This sounds like the setup to a very old joke.

The punchline being, "All right now, Kong, I'm only going to show you this ONE more time!"
Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Charter Member

Oh man, why did I read this thread? I had finally managed to stop thinking about that horrible video I was stupid enough to watch of the guy and his stallion (the guy died a few hours later, in case you are unfamiliar with the case).

But as long as I'm here, the Romans and most ancient cultures were pretty messed up and there doesn't seem to be much they weren't willing to give a go to, just for the entertainment value. As for "unwilling", that's easy enough...restrain a woman just so and it's a piece of cake for just about anyone to do just about anything, pencil dick or no.
Closed Thread