The secret to homemade popsicles...why so watery?

Anyone have a good recipe for homemade popsicles? When I just take a nice juice and freeze it, the yummy part kinda separates from the water, so that I end up sucking on an ice cube. Commercial popsicles manage to stay flavorful all the way, for the most part.

What’s the secret?

Rapid freezing.

Doesn’t give it time to separate during the freezing/crystalization process.

if you read the ingredients on store-boughten popsicles, you’ll see all kinds of emulsifiers and stabilizers. I don’t know what the homemade equivalents would be; gelatin? tapioca? google around, see what you find.

Yeah, when we made popsicles when I was young, we put some jello power into the mix. :smiley: But then, we weren’t using real juice either, just koolaid punch for the other half. I don’t remember the proportions offhand.

I remember seeing on this on ABC Saturday mornings all the time but I never tried it myself. Unfortunately Timer doesn’t mention any “tricks” for preventing a half water/half juice-sicle.

Try this link.

I’ve been looking for Timer videos forever. Thank you!

Robin

It’s a little more trouble, but I’ve made excellent popsicles by putting the juice in my ice cream maker first. When it’s frozen but still soft I spoon it into cups and insert a stick, then freeze solid.

One of these days I’m going to try creamsicles.

I find it irritating that emulsifiers aren’t available to consumers. Try making a frappachino in your blender at home. Without carrageenan, it comes out as crunchy watery coffee instead of slushy goodness like you get at Starbucks.

Try throwing in a frozen banana. It would probably help if we had those industrial blenders that they have too. Like this one.

But really, coffee, banana and ice cream/fro-yo is a fantastic combo. Good thing we don’t have the Jugo Juice chain here in Chicago, or I’d gain ten pounds

I had no idea… hmmm.

It looks like gelatin is the ticket, from what I can see. Although avoiding a “frozen jello” texture must be a bit of a challenge.

Perhaps pectin?

Memories of a neighbor family when I was a kid regularly having homemade Kool-Aid “pops” in their freezer just came back to me (made in what was probably a Tupperware™ container). Unfortunately I can’t help if there was a trick beyond freezing plain Kool-Aid though. The resulting texture was different than a colored ice cube and different than a grocery store popsicle. I remember it as being “filmy” and stained my clothes like you wouldn’t believe. :slight_smile:

Well, I called my mom to ask her about the mix, she even checked her metal recipe box, couldn’t find it written down, but here’s what we remember from talking it out.

Start with:
one pack jell-o mix, (regular size - weighs 85g and basic directions call for mixing up with 2 cups water.)
1 packet of unsweetened kool-aid mix, (weighs 6g, makes up 8 cups.)
1 cup of sugar.

Empty the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add 2 cups boiling hot water, and mix thoroughly. Add 2 cups ice-cold water, and mix again. Pour into molds, insert sticks, and freeze overnight.

The consistency is not like store-bought popsicles, but I enjoyed them a lot. There was indeed something just a bit jelly-like about the texture after you’d been sucking on them for a while, but I think that’s better than getting ice that has had all the flavour sucked out of it.

If anybody mixes this up, please post to let us know how it went! :slight_smile:

…but then you’re just going to hanker for a hunk of, a slab or slice or chunk of, …hanker for a hunk of cheese.

Funny how it feels when you lay your eyes on something from your past for the first time in years. It’s like it fires off little young synapses that have lain dormant for all those years…

Can’t you buy it online?

This is the recipe that my family has used for years and years, and it is great! The Jello gives it a better consistency than just using juice or Kool-Aid, which freezes too hard and ice-like. You can bite into the popsicle without breaking a tooth!

When I want to make fruit juice popsicles, I use unflavored gelatin, dissolved in the juice (I believe I had to simmer the juice and gelatin over a low flame until it dissolved, but I can’t find my recipe right this second…I think it may be on the package of Knox Gelatin, though).

And we make Fudgesicles with Chocolate instant pudding mix and four cups milk. Or I’ll use vanilla or white chocolate pudding, and add fresh fruit.

Thanks for all the secret ways to make popsicles. But does anyone have a good way to get them out of the mold with out half melting them? Thanks:)

I wonder how popsicles using agar agar would turn out. Agar doesn’t have to be heated to such a high temperature, so you wouldn’t have to boil the juice.

Attack of the zombie popsicles! Aaagh!! :eek:

Um, it’s been long enough that I don’t clearly remember that part, except…

Run the outside of the mold under very hot water for no more than a second or two.
Do not let any hot water get inside the mold.
Then start carefully pulling the popsicle stick, while bracing against the mold.

Results not guaranteed.

Popsicle Maker we have that is awesome. Zoku from Williams-Sonoma. It freezes in 7-10 minutes so the texture is like store bought (no big crystals) and they have a screw mechanism to get the popsicles out. I highly recommend it. It would easily do 3 sets of popsicles before needing to refreeze the block. We’ve tried ice tea, smoothy (Naked), chocolate milk, Kool-Aid, apple juice. They are all great. I am convince that the fast freezing and more homogenous popsicle is the key to enjoyment- you don’t need to make them overly sugary sweet.

*Two hints for users: 1. keep the Zoku “block” upside down in the freezer to keep gunk and ice crystals out. 2. Just wipe out the slots with a warm wet rag when you are done and only thaw and wash it every 4 or more uses.