The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 PM
jakesteele jakesteele is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Sealed records of JFK assassination

I have heard from time to time that there "sensitive records" from the JFK assination that were sealed for 50 yrs. and wouldn't be released until after the death of the people mentioned within them. What's the deal with this? Is it fact, fiction or something from another planet?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 02-08-2009, 10:37 PM
Duckster Duckster is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,925
Quote:
I've heard that some of the records are sealed? Why? When will they be opened to the public for examination for my research?

It is a common misconception that the records relating to the assassination of President Kennedy are in some way sealed. In fact, the records are largely open and available to the research community here at the National Archives at College Park in the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Record Collection.

Congress created the Kennedy Collection when it passed the Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992. This statute directed all Federal agencies to transmit to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) all records relating to the assassination in their custody. The Kennedy Act also created a temporary agency, the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB), to ensure that the agencies complied with the Act.

In addition to records already open at NARA prior to the passing the Kennedy Act, the Collection now consists of previously withheld records of the Warren Commission, records of the Office of the Archivist, and newly released materials from the Kennedy, Johnson, and Ford Presidential Libraries. Other agency records in the Collection include records of the House Select Committee on Assassinations, records of the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a small amount of material from a variety of other agencies, including the Office of Naval Intelligence. The Collection now includes over five million pages of records.

With a very few exceptions, virtually all of the records identified as belonging to the Kennedy Collection have been opened in part or in full. Those documents that are closed in full or in part were done so in accordance with the Kennedy Act, mentioned above. According to the Act, no record could be withheld in part or in full, without the agreement of the ARRB. The guidelines for withholding records are outlined in the provisions in Section 6 of the Act. The full report of the ARRB is available online. A copy of the Act is in Adobe Acrobat PDFAppendix C of the ARRB Report mentioned above. In all cases where the ARRB agreed to withhold a record or information in a record, they stipulated a specific release date for the document. In addition, according to Section 5(g)(2)(D) of the Act, all records in the Kennedy Collection will be opened by 2017 unless certified as justifiably closed by the President of the United States.
Source: http://www.archives.gov/research/jfk/faqs.html#sealed
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:11 PM
panache45 panache45 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NE Ohio (the 'burbs)
Posts: 22,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
. . . assination . . .
Hey, have a little respect.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 PM
Magiver Magiver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
You may be thinking of the 500 pg document written by Jacqueline Kennedy that is to be openned 50 years after her death (May, 19, 2044).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:22 PM
hajario hajario is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Posts: 13,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
You may be thinking of the 500 pg document written by Jacqueline Kennedy that is to be openned 50 years after her death (May, 19, 2044).
What's up with that? Is is assassination related or memoirs or what?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 59,011
Quote:
What's up with that? Is is assassination related or memoirs or what?
The title "How I Shot My Husband For Sleeping With That Monroe Slut" is intriguing.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Zoe Zoe is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
There were records that were to be sealed until fifty years after President Kennedy's death. I've remembered that since the mid-Sixties. But I think that most, if not all, have already been unsealed.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:54 PM
jakesteele jakesteele is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Duckster Duckster is offline
Charter Member

Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,327
Quote:
I've heard that some of the records are sealed? Why? When will they be opened to the public for examination for my research?

It is a common misconception that the records relating to the assassination of President Kennedy are in some way sealed. In fact, the records are largely open and available to the research community here at the National Archives at College Park in the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Record Collection.

Congress created the Kennedy Collection when it passed the Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992. This statute directed all Federal agencies to transmit to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) all records relating to the assassination in their custody. The Kennedy Act also created a temporary agency, the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB), to ensure that the agencies complied with the Act.

In addition to records already open at NARA prior to the passing the Kennedy Act, the Collection now consists of previously withheld records of the Warren Commission, records of the Office of the Archivist, and newly released materials from the Kennedy, Johnson, and Ford Presidential Libraries. Other agency records in the Collection include records of the House Select Committee on Assassinations, records of the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a small amount of material from a variety of other agencies, including the Office of Naval Intelligence. The Collection now includes over five million pages of records.

With a very few exceptions, virtually all of the records identified as belonging to the Kennedy Collection have been opened in part or in full. Those documents that are closed in full or in part were done so in accordance with the Kennedy Act, mentioned above. According to the Act, no record could be withheld in part or in full, without the agreement of the ARRB. The guidelines for withholding records are outlined in the provisions in Section 6 of the Act. The full report of the ARRB is available online. A copy of the Act is in Adobe Acrobat PDFAppendix C of the ARRB Report mentioned above. In all cases where the ARRB agreed to withhold a record or information in a record, they stipulated a specific release date for the document. In addition, according to Section 5(g)(2)(D) of the Act, all records in the Kennedy Collection will be opened by 2017 unless certified as justifiably closed by the President of the United States.


If I'm reading this correctly it is saying that not all of the records have been released. I am trying to find out mainly why they haven't been released and what they are, which, of course, you can't because they are withheld. Does the withheld info pertain to National Security or what, if anyone knows.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2009, 11:56 PM
jakesteele jakesteele is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by panache45 View Post
Hey, have a little respect.
You're right. I shouldn't speak unkindly of the dead, my bad!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-2009, 12:03 AM
KneadToKnow KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 24,087
jakesteele, dude, with all due respect, you seriously need to learn how to use the quote tags.

It's [ quote ] what you want to quote [ /quote ] just without the spaces.


Wait, I see you do know. Never mind.

Last edited by KneadToKnow; 02-09-2009 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM
APB APB is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
If I'm reading this correctly it is saying that not all of the records have been released. I am trying to find out mainly why they haven't been released and what they are, which, of course, you can't because they are withheld. Does the withheld info pertain to National Security or what, if anyone knows.
Duckster's link should already have led you to this information anyway, but clearly we're going to have to spell this out for you. This is the relevant section of Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act.

Quote:
Section 6. Grounds for Postponement of Public Disclosure of Records

Disclosure of assassination records or particular information in assassination records to the public may be postponed subject to the limitations of this Act if there is clear and convincing evidence that --

(1) the threat to the military defense, intelligence operations, or conduct of foreign relations of the United States posed by the public disclosure of the assassination is of such gravity that it outweighs the public interest, and such public disclosure would reveal --

(A) an intelligence agent whose identity currently requires protection;

(B) an intelligence source or method which is currently utilized, or reasonably expected to be utilized, by the United States Government and which has not been officially disclosed, the disclosure of which would interfere with the conduct of intelligence activities; or

(C) any other matter currently relating to the military defense, intelligence operations or conduct of foreign relations of the United States, the disclosure of which would demonstrably impair the national security of the United States;

(2) the public disclosure of the assassination record would reveal the name or identity of a living person who provided confidential information to the United States and would pose a substantial risk of harm to that person;

(3) the public disclosure of the assassination record could reasonably be expected to constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy, and that invasion of privacy is so substantial that it outweighs the public interest;

(4) the public disclosure of the assassination record would compromise the existence of an understanding of confidentiality currently requiring protection between a Government agent and a cooperating individual or a foreign government, and public disclosure would be so harmful that it outweighs the public interest; or

(5) the public disclosure of the assassination record would reveal a security or protective procedure currently utilized, or reasonably expected to be utilized, by the Secret Service or another Government agency responsible for protecting Government officials, and public disclosure would be so harmful that it outweighs the public interest.
In the case of those documents which have been released with deletions, the entries in the National Archives's JFK Assassination Records Collection Reference System state which of the reasons for withholding information apply to that particular document. Using the Expert Search facility, you can even search on the specific type of restriction and (by pressing Index) get a breakdown of the totals for each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajario
What's up with that? Is is assassination related or memoirs or what?
No one knows. Which is kind of the point. Of course, it is very common for private individuals donating their own records to public archives to insist on such a restriction.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
anson2995 anson2995 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,720
Just to recap, President Clinton created a commission in 1992 charged with the task of gathering all of the documents that existed about the JFK assassaination, including those which were classified, into a single archive. They were then asked to review everything that was classified and determine if it should remain that way. If they so decided, they had to provide an explanation for why it was to remain sealed, and as APB pointed out, those explanations are available for each individual document.

And as I read the legislation, all of the documents that remained sealed will be unsealed in 2017, barring a new Presidential order.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-09-2009, 12:23 PM
sweeteviljesus sweeteviljesus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by anson2995 View Post
Just to recap, President Clinton created a commission in 1992
Clinton wasn't the President in 1992. Obviously, you are a tool of the Conspiracy who has been caught in a lie by an eagle-eyed internet researcher.

Rob
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-09-2009, 03:51 PM
anson2995 anson2995 is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteviljesus View Post
Clinton wasn't the President in 1992. Obviously, you are a tool of the Conspiracy who has been caught in a lie by an eagle-eyed internet researcher.
Nah. I'm just an idiot. The commission was created by an act of Congress, not by either President Bush or Clinton. That's what I get for answering off the top of my head.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-16-2012, 04:21 PM
pm2012 pm2012 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
"Mr. Stokes had been urged by another influential senior Democrat, Representative Lee H. Hamilton of Indiana, to ask the House to open the remaining records before the scheduled date, the year 2029. " (http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/28/us...ator-says.html)
Do they open it in 2017 as somebody else mentioned here or in 2029 as mentioned in the above website?
Obviously there is something to keep as a secret if it is sealed and numerous attempt to open it were not successful...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM
quadcomputers quadcomputers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
JFK John F. Kennedy

I am glad to see people are still concerned with the Public Assassination of John Kennedy. I hope everyone will continue to demand more about the same. The problem here was their story would have stuck; but they did not consider that there would be a person on the grassy knoll, using a new Brownie Movie Camera. This footage is the single most evidence that launched the conspiriacy that followed. The American people have a right to know who committed a public assination. Why when your investigating a murder would seal records; especially when your job is to find out who the suspects may be. Strange? Yes Indeed very strange and this is why I would like to know; but there is nothing legal that will stick. I would like to add Kennedy's press secretary who was with him in Dallas at the hospital; points to the right side of his forhead; when asked about the shooting wound. Later several doctors comment; again putting to their right side of their forheads. Years later when a doctor from Parkland was asked to view the photos in Washington D.C. he states the conditon in the photos does not match and he amazing does the same points to the right side of his forehead. These hand gestures are persons reflecting where they saw the wound. Kennedy's body was taken at gun point from Parkland; shipped to the Naval hospital in Washington and some horrid persons mutilated the wounds, this was the only time anyone could have had access. The Texas state law demands an autopsy be perform; instead this is performed by doctor who had no experience in these concerns at the Naval hospital. Again we all the right to know, to allow our government to seal evidence will only follow sealed evidence. Our current president has in fact sealed his own records. What man or woman would want to seal their life from the very people whom they want to represent? As Americans we take pride in our presidents; even if they eat jelly beans; we like to know about them; even if they strike out at their high school baseball game. It is imporant we never stop asking "why" and we have a new and wonderful generation today and our country is gong to be good hands. With that let me say thanks for reading and God Bless those who love the truth.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 17,535
Anyone wanna bet that quadcomputers has now made its first and last post on this board?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 PM
Gary T Gary T is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 9,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Anyone wanna bet that quadcomputers has now made its first and last post on this board?
I'd bet that he has, and pray that he has.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:20 PM
BMalion BMalion is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 9,602
Paragraphs can be your friend.

Generally speaking of course.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 AM
CalMeacham CalMeacham is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
Quote:
I am glad to see people are still concerned with the Public Assassination of John Kennedy. I hope everyone will continue to demand more about the same. The problem here was their story would have stuck; but they did not consider that there would be a person on the grassy knoll, using a new Brownie Movie Camera. This footage is the single most evidence that launched the conspiriacy that followed. The American people have a right to know who committed a public assination.


Gashdarnit, he wrote "assination", too.

Just too easy to forget that you already wrote -ass- once, I guess.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 17,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
I'd bet that he has, and pray that he has.
See, prayer works!

Naah, you're just afraid to answer his hard questions.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:04 AM
Chefguy Chefguy is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Portlandia
Posts: 29,233
Clearly, Obama was the second shooter.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Musicat Musicat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Posts: 17,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguy View Post
Clearly, Obama was the second shooter.
Yeah, as a 2 year old, he grew up fast.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Keeve Keeve is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMalion View Post
Paragraphs can be your friend.
Not to mention grammar.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 AM
SandyHook SandyHook is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Hey, guys, come on, show a little consideration. I thought it was a very well written opinion for someone who only learned English last week. Let's see you learn Russian and do as well explaining all the mysteries surrounding Stalin's death. I'll give you until the end of the year. Bet you'll show a little respect then.

Last edited by SandyHook; 12-06-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 AM
md2000 md2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Yes, Zapruder's film clearly shows someone with a Brownie on the grassy knoll.
And that Brownie did a heckuva job.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Bremidon Bremidon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesteele View Post
I shouldn't speak unkindly of the dead,
or kindly of the undead.

(yes, I'm looking at you Edward *grumble* *grumble* *sparkling bast...* *grumble* )
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:35 PM
jtgain jtgain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
If there was some massive cover-up in the documents, why would they be kept until 2017 (or later)? Why wouldn't the people in charge simply destroy the incriminating document instead of hiding it for years?

The bottom line is that there are probably a handful of documents that relate to military intelligence against China or some other place that the government still feels the need to keep a lid on until anything that would make that document relevant to current national security has faded into the past. Nothing more. No secret confessions by Lyndon Johnson. Why would Presidents through the years, from both parties, hid any conspiracy related information instead of burning it?
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.