Sealed records of JFK assassination

I have heard from time to time that there “sensitive records” from the JFK assination that were sealed for 50 yrs. and wouldn’t be released until after the death of the people mentioned within them. What’s the deal with this? Is it fact, fiction or something from another planet?

Source: Frequently Asked Questions | National Archives

Hey, have a little respect.

You may be thinking of the 500 pg document written by Jacqueline Kennedy that is to be openned 50 years after her death (May, 19, 2044).

What’s up with that? Is is assassination related or memoirs or what?

The title “How I Shot My Husband For Sleeping With That Monroe Slut” is intriguing.

There were records that were to be sealed until fifty years after President Kennedy’s death. I’ve remembered that since the mid-Sixties. But I think that most, if not all, have already been unsealed.

Charter Member

Quote:
I’ve heard that some of the records are sealed? Why? When will they be opened to the public for examination for my research?

It is a common misconception that the records relating to the assassination of President Kennedy are in some way sealed. In fact, the records are largely open and available to the research community here at the National Archives at College Park in the President John F. Kennedy Assassination Record Collection.

Congress created the Kennedy Collection when it passed the Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act of 1992. This statute directed all Federal agencies to transmit to the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) all records relating to the assassination in their custody. The Kennedy Act also created a temporary agency, the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB), to ensure that the agencies complied with the Act.

In addition to records already open at NARA prior to the passing the Kennedy Act, the Collection now consists of previously withheld records of the Warren Commission, records of the Office of the Archivist, and newly released materials from the Kennedy, Johnson, and Ford Presidential Libraries. Other agency records in the Collection include records of the House Select Committee on Assassinations, records of the Central Intelligence Agency, the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a small amount of material from a variety of other agencies, including the Office of Naval Intelligence. The Collection now includes over five million pages of records.

With a very few exceptions, virtually all of the records identified as belonging to the Kennedy Collection have been opened in part or in full. Those documents that are closed in full or in part were done so in accordance with the Kennedy Act, mentioned above. According to the Act, no record could be withheld in part or in full, without the agreement of the ARRB. The guidelines for withholding records are outlined in the provisions in Section 6 of the Act. The full report of the ARRB is available online. A copy of the Act is in Adobe Acrobat PDFAppendix C of the ARRB Report mentioned above. In all cases where the ARRB agreed to withhold a record or information in a record, they stipulated a specific release date for the document. In addition, according to Section 5(g)(2)(D) of the Act, all records in the Kennedy Collection will be opened by 2017 unless certified as justifiably closed by the President of the United States.
If I’m reading this correctly it is saying that not all of the records have been released. I am trying to find out mainly why they haven’t been released and what they are, which, of course, you can’t because they are withheld. Does the withheld info pertain to National Security or what, if anyone knows.

You’re right. I shouldn’t speak unkindly of the dead, my bad!

[del]jakesteele, dude, with all due respect, you seriously need to learn how to use the quote tags.

It’s [ quote ] what you want to quote [ /quote ] just without the spaces.[/del]

Wait, I see you do know. Never mind.

Duckster’s link should already have led you to this information anyway, but clearly we’re going to have to spell this out for you. This is the relevant section of Kennedy Assassination Records Collection Act.

In the case of those documents which have been released with deletions, the entries in the National Archives’s JFK Assassination Records Collection Reference System state which of the reasons for withholding information apply to that particular document. Using the Expert Search facility, you can even search on the specific type of restriction and (by pressing Index) get a breakdown of the totals for each.

No one knows. Which is kind of the point. Of course, it is very common for private individuals donating their own records to public archives to insist on such a restriction.

Just to recap, President Clinton created a commission in 1992 charged with the task of gathering all of the documents that existed about the JFK assassaination, including those which were classified, into a single archive. They were then asked to review everything that was classified and determine if it should remain that way. If they so decided, they had to provide an explanation for why it was to remain sealed, and as APB pointed out, those explanations are available for each individual document.

And as I read the legislation, all of the documents that remained sealed will be unsealed in 2017, barring a new Presidential order.

Clinton wasn’t the President in 1992. Obviously, you are a tool of the Conspiracy who has been caught in a lie by an eagle-eyed internet researcher. :slight_smile:

Rob

Nah. I’m just an idiot. The commission was created by an act of Congress, not by either President Bush or Clinton. That’s what I get for answering off the top of my head. :smack:

"Mr. Stokes had been urged by another influential senior Democrat, Representative Lee H. Hamilton of Indiana, to ask the House to open the remaining records before the scheduled date, the year 2029. " (No Reason to Open Files on Kennedy Assassination, Congressional Investigator Says - The New York Times)
Do they open it in 2017 as somebody else mentioned here or in 2029 as mentioned in the above website?
Obviously there is something to keep as a secret if it is sealed and numerous attempt to open it were not successful…

I am glad to see people are still concerned with the Public Assassination of John Kennedy. I hope everyone will continue to demand more about the same. The problem here was their story would have stuck; but they did not consider that there would be a person on the grassy knoll, using a new Brownie Movie Camera. This footage is the single most evidence that launched the conspiriacy that followed. The American people have a right to know who committed a public assination. Why when your investigating a murder would seal records; especially when your job is to find out who the suspects may be. Strange? Yes Indeed very strange and this is why I would like to know; but there is nothing legal that will stick. I would like to add Kennedy’s press secretary who was with him in Dallas at the hospital; points to the right side of his forhead; when asked about the shooting wound. Later several doctors comment; again putting to their right side of their forheads. Years later when a doctor from Parkland was asked to view the photos in Washington D.C. he states the conditon in the photos does not match and he amazing does the same points to the right side of his forehead. These hand gestures are persons reflecting where they saw the wound. Kennedy’s body was taken at gun point from Parkland; shipped to the Naval hospital in Washington and some horrid persons mutilated the wounds, this was the only time anyone could have had access. The Texas state law demands an autopsy be perform; instead this is performed by doctor who had no experience in these concerns at the Naval hospital. Again we all the right to know, to allow our government to seal evidence will only follow sealed evidence. Our current president has in fact sealed his own records. What man or woman would want to seal their life from the very people whom they want to represent? As Americans we take pride in our presidents; even if they eat jelly beans; we like to know about them; even if they strike out at their high school baseball game. It is imporant we never stop asking “why” and we have a new and wonderful generation today and our country is gong to be good hands. With that let me say thanks for reading and God Bless those who love the truth.

Anyone wanna bet that quadcomputers has now made its first and last post on this board?

I’d bet that he has, and pray that he has.

Paragraphs can be your friend.

Generally speaking of course.

Gashdarnit, he wrote “assination”, too.

Just too easy to forget that you already wrote -ass- once, I guess.