Sitcoms named after the actor but not the character

The thread about greatest sitcom characters got me thinking about this.

Bob Newhart’s character in “The Bob Newhart Show” is Bob Hartley.
His character in “Newhart” is Dick Louden.

Presumably this is done to use the public’s general familiarity with an actor in order to draw an audience. So the show is named after the actor, but the character has a different name.

Other examples off the top of my head:
The Andy Griffith Show
The Dick Van Dyke Show
The Mary Tyler Moore Show

Something like “Seinfeld” doesn’t count because he used his real name for his ‘character’ in the show. “Roseanne” doesn’t count because her character’s first name was Roseanne, even though their last names differ. Variety and talk shows don’t count either. Dramas could count, but I can’t think of any that fit.

What are some other examples? Was this a trend in the past that has gone away? I can’t think of any more recent examples than Newhart, but I’m sure I’m missing something.

Cosby Show.

Which one?

By your “same first names” criteria, The Mary Tyler Moore show doesn’t count, either, since the character was Mary Richards.

Ahh, yes! They were the Huxtables in that show. He also later did “Cosby” with a differently named character.

The Danny Thomas Show
The Donna Reed Show
The Phil Silvers Show
Everybody Loves Raymond
The Cosby Show

No–it’s okay if their first names are the same as long as their full names are not.

“Mary Tyler Moore” could not possibly be named after the character Mary Richards, but “Roseanne” could be named after the character Roseanne Conner rather than the actress Roseanne Barr.

Ah…understanding dawns.

Doesn’t count. Raymond could refer to the character Raymond Barone or the actor Ray Romano.

Not this one, because the “Raymond” in the title could refer to the character Raymond Barone in the show.

In Bill Cosby’s first self-named show, “The Bill Cosby Show”, he played Chet Kincaid. In “The Cosby Show”, he played Cliff Huxtable. In “Cosby”, he played Hilton Lucas. So he has 3 that qualify.

The Weber Show (aka Cursed)

The other ones I can think of besides your examples are:

The Danny Thomas Show - character name Danny Williams (it was later titled Make Room for Daddy when the plotlines changed)

The Bill Cosby Show - character name Chet Kinkaid (not to be confused with The Cosby Show - character name Cliff Huxtable)

The Bill Engvall Show - character name Bill Pearson (still airing)

I think Jeff Foxworthy’s show meets the criteria you’ve laid out, but I can’t remember offhand.

I don’t know why they stopped doing this (or do it so rarely anymore), but it’s probably a marketing thing. You could probably find a bunch Wiki-surfing American sitcoms.

The Michael Richards Show

Poking around using “The x Show” as the key to find possibilities (got bored after getting through the Bs):

The Ann Southern Show (1958-1962). Character name was Katy O’Connor.
The Betty Hutton Show (1959-1960). Character name was Goldie Appleby.
The Betty White Show (1977-1978). Character name was Joyce Whitman.
The Bill Dana Show (1963-1965). Character name was Jose Jimenez.
The Bill Engvall Show (2006- ). Character name is Bill Pearson.
The Bob Cummings Show (1955-1959). Character name was Bob Collins.
The Bonnie Hunt Show (1995-1996). Character name was Bonnie Kelly.

*The Doris Day Show *(1968-1973). Character name was Doris Martin.
*The Eve Arden Show *(1957-1958). Character name was Liza Hammond.

The John Larroquette Show – Character name was John Hemingway.

*The Jean Arthur Show *(1966). Character name was Patricia Marshall.

And in Bob, he was Bob McKay.

In The Gale Storm Show, Gale Storm played Susanna Pomeroy (the show was renamed Oh, Susanna! in syndication.

Does The Larry Sanders Show count?

Edit: no, no it does not.