Non-creepy eunichs in fantasy fiction

I’ve noticed that, in general, fictional eunichs (am I spelling that right?) tend to be creepy, or evil, or both. (Or treated as walking furniture, but I’m talking about developed characters). I’m thinking of Varys from ASOIAF right now, but there are tons of others like him.
I can only think of one sympathetic eunich character I’ve ever read: Sazed, from Brandon Sanderson’s Mistborn. I’m guessing that male writers feel uncomfortable getting into the head of a man who has lost his nards. Are there any other sympathetic eunichs out there?

The main character of Mary Renault’s “The Persian Boy” (who was a historical character).

Zheng He (also a historical character) shows up in Kim Stanley Robinson’s “The Years of Rice and Salt”.

In terms of fictional people, Barsymes in Harry Turtledove’s Krispos series is a sympathetic character.

Raoul in The PHantom of Manhattan had a war injury that resulted in the removal of his testicles but kept every thng else intact.

He is a sympathic character. Unfotunately, the book is absolutely, unbelievably bad. Frederick Forsyth should have done better.

Can’t remember the book, I believe it was a collection of historical setting detective stories, but there was a byzantine imperial eunich that was investigating a murder in the imperial palace, he was pretty cool. I think that there is at least one eunich in the Belisarius series of novels also.

In Tombs of Atuan there is a eunuch who acts as a guardian and sort of kind of just a little bit foster-parent to the young Tenar.

Mary Reed and Eric Mayer’s “John the Eunuch” series.

True as far as it goes, but Manan qualifies as creepy to me, especially by the end of the book, when he

is turned against Tenar by the fear and hatred of her rival priestess, and nearly kills Sparrowhawk to set her free

I may have to hunt them down =)

I just remmebered this one, it was interesting as I was sewing a few patches to go on a friends byzantine outfit.

if memory serves it hinged upon worshiping mithras or something=)

Narses. A rather cool character, but fairly villainous.

Are we restricting this to good fiction? Because every single one of the male characters in Piers Anthony’s Battle Circle is emasculated in some way or another: One’s physically castrated, one was rendered sterile by excessive radiation exposure, another eventually ends up rendered impotent by implants intended to turn him into the ultimate warrior, and the last is psychologically impotent.

Guy Gavriel Kay’s Tigana. Sorry; my copy is in storage or I’d look up the name of the character.

I love his writing, me.

The lead character in Frederick Pohl’s Man Plus.

There was the sentry in Michael Moorcock’s “The Dreaming City”. He was mainly cannon-fodder, though, so he wasn’t onstage long enough to do anything creepy.