Microsoft IT training, MCSE or MCITP?

So, you’re reentering the job market with years of experience but no certs. What do you get trained on, the MS 2003 based technology everyone has or the 2008 that folks will be switching to at some point?

If you get the 2003 stuff, you can “upgrade” it to 2008 with some relatively simple (& few) tests.

e.g for MCSE you need 5. For MCITP you also nned 5. For MCSE upgraded to 2008 you need a total of 6.

That’s a good twofer.

It also makes your resume look more experienced. Someone who only has 2008 certs looks at first glance like somebody who just entered the industry. Now that so many employers, even small ones, resort to database searches and square-filling to screen hundreds of resumes down to the dozen to actaully look at, havng more squares filled increases the odds of you fitting through somebody’s stupid-ass filter.

I was in a similar situation. I got hired based on my other certifications, and work history, but want to show my skills with Microsoft. I am going to do my MCSE first, and then upgrade to MCITP.

My test path is pretty easy. I already have Security+ so that can be used as one elective for my MCSE. So I need 6 exams to finish (290, 291, 293, 294, 270, 297). One more test will upgrade my MCSE to MCTS. By taking 70-649 I will get 3 certifications (MCTS 2008 AD Config, MCTS 2008 Net Infrastructure Config, MCTS 2008 App Infrastructure Config). Taking 70-646 will grant me MCITP Server Admin, and finally taking 70-620, and 70-647 will give me MCITP Enterprise Admin.

10 tests and Security+ will leave me with 6 certification from Microsoft. Also I think you get a MCP for one of the MCSE tests. I am not sure how much the tests are in the US anymore so it can get expensive. If I remember correctly they are 175 each so you are looking at almost two grand. If you fail any it gets worse.

-Otanx

What real-world experience do you have in Windows 2000/2003/2008 infrastructures? How about in MS application servers (Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, etc…)?

If you already know how to administer Windows 2003 environments, get the 2008 certs as they will server you better in the long run. However, if you don’t know Windows 2003, get the 2003 certs (along with some hands-on experience in some kind of test/lab environment), as this is what a lot of businesses are currently running.

Thanks for the advice. Most of my experience is with NT/2k and almost no Active Directory. I’m leaning hard in the direction of 2003 since that’s what will break through the Human Resources screening based on keywords, I think.