Eurovision 2009

I can’t seem to see a thread on this anywhere.

Most shocking thing so far: Sweden’s television commentators are talking over the Russian on-stage presenters. Maybe it is just me being too rude, but by golly that’s rude. Terry would never do/have done that.

I’m here, watching the Croatian act trying to be all sexyful.

And failing.

Well, I’m watching anyway, but it all seems pretty tame so far.

I heard the Irish entry for the first time yesterday. My God, it was even worse than that Brian Kennedy abomination a few years back.

We may only be three acts into the evening, but you read it here first: I’m calling for Germany to end up placing MUCH higher than last year. Why, we may very well have more than … double the points of last year! Go Germany!

Germany, as I’m sure everyone remembers well, got zero points last year and was tied for dead last. Like we care!

Portugal was kind of cute. Now Iceland! (How could they afford the airfare?)

The background for the Portuguese act would probably be really cool to watch if I were stoned. But I’m not.

Hey, given that the ESC stages these last years have basically been huge banks of TV monitors of assorted sizes, who decides what the light show for each act will look like?

Hmm, Eurovison-by-numbers up until Portugal’s sweet little folk-pop number, which is easily the best song so far.

Portugal the best so far IMHO. (This is what is known as “damning with faint praise”.)

Where’s Kyla?

The night is young, my friend!

This Greek guy is actually scaring me.

Greece makes a blatant play for the gay vote!

I’m waiting for the Greek lead singer to flex his chest and make his barely-fastened shirt burst off like the Incredible Hulk.

Whoa, best use of a conveyor belt so far.

Yay for Greece! This is the kind of thing I watch Eurovision for.

Is he dancing on a giant stapler? Is this a tribute to office products everywhere?

Armenia: braidalicious!

I don’t believe traditional Armenian costumes are usually cut that high on the sides.

Damn, now you’ve ruined their song for me

Sorry. Hey look, here comes a Russian lady who apparently just stepped out of the shower. Does that cheer you up?

And not a bit apropos the Russian singer, but you know where America leads the world? Dental care.

Just sayin’.

I think you posted too soon.