The most winningest cities in sports

Can you guess what they are from this decade? From The Toronto Star:

So, without peeking at the article, what cities would you guess are at the top and bottom of the list? As a Bay Area resident, the news is rather bitter indeed. :frowning:

Gotta be New York, right? Maybe Boston?

EDIT: Well, one right. I wouldn’t have picked the winner, though.

Boston for sure, between two Patriot Super Bowl victories and two Red Sox titles. And the Bruins are perenially good.

Pittsburgh always gets more than their fair share of sports glory, Pirates notwithstanding. So I’ll guess Pittsburgh.

The metric seems a bit flawed. 11-5 is the record of a pretty good football team, but not really an elite one. For a baseball team to have an equivilant percentage they would need 111, which has happened less than a handful of times in the game’s history.

I guess it included the CFL because Calgary and Edmonton were included. Montreal was included too, but they did have the Expos for awhile in the 2000s.

Holy crap we’re number one?!?!?
I wouldn’t have put us in the top 10…yeah we have the Colts (Atlanta Braves of the NFL), but the Pacers have been terrible for years…not to mention they can’t GIVE away tickets to the games.

Hell, our WNBA team (The Fever) have had a much better winning percentace than the Pacers, and they are about 200% emptier.

I dunno about this poll, I would never have put Indy even in the top 10, much less number one.
Also, as an aside…Indy is the most fair-weather sports town I have ever seen (much less lived in)…once their precious Colts start losing again the city’s pride will fade into medeocrity as it has the past 10-15 years

How about London?
Liverpool, Madrid, Barcalona, Manchester, Munich, Milan, Turin etc?

I don’t think any of those have professional sports franchises.

Vancouver? Number 3? Really? I realize they’re also counting Canadian football, but sheesh. Detroit is only 15?

Well, it’s interesting to see something a little different, even though I don’t agree with it.

You kidding me? Liverpool FC, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Byern Munich, Real Madrid etc?

I totally agree with your post. I never would have considered Indy for the top spot, especially considering Boston’s incredibly decade. I cannot possibly imagine how a city with 1 Super Bowl win beats out a city with 3 Super Bowls, 4 AFC Championships, an NBA Championship, and 2 World Series. It doesn’t add up.

But I did get really close with guessing Kansas City for the bottom. :frowning:

From the OP’s linked article:

“the Toronto Star ranked 37 cities with at least two professional sports teams”

The OP is explicitly talking about North American cities, anyway.

Three Super Bowls, and another AFC Championship from their near perfect season (still had a perfect regular season and the most games won in any season ever.)

Also there’s an an NBA Championship in there somewhere.

It seems they balanced the points more in favor of overall winning percentage. They say they gave bonus points for Championships, but IMO not enough. When you think “Best North American Sports City of the Decade,” you think Boston.

I also wanted to add that for almost every other city, having more than two teams was a detriment. It seems to me that Indianapolis only won because it has just the two teams.

Look at New York. They have…at least 6 (9 if you count the Islanders, Nets, and Devils.)

You also ought properly to account for the different number of games in a season. A city with an undefeated football team (16-0) and a perfectly average baseball team (81-81) has a total of 97 wins and 81 losses, while a city with a slightly above-average baseball team (say, 90-72) and a perfectly average football team (8-8) has a total of 98 wins and 80 losses. Is the second city really better overall, just because it has a higher total win-loss ratio?

And Cleveland deserves some sort of mention on the bottom of the list, here: Of all North American cities with a big-league professional team in any sport, Cleveland’s gone longest without any championship win. We haven’t had one since the 1948 Indians World Series win.

Milan has both AC Milan and Internazionale of Milan, London has Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham, etc., Manchester has both Manchester United and Manchester City F.C., etc.

The point is that none of them are in North America. :rolleyes:

Liverpool has both Liverpool FC and Everton.

Winningest is not a word.

The Bruins? They had a good season this year for the first time since 2004. And they’ve been perennial also-rans since the early 90s.