How many US people born in 1927 still alive?

I’ve Googled all sorts of things on longevity, life expectancy, mortality rates, etc and still can’t seem to find this.

Being born in that year, I’m curious as to what percentage of us are still on the right side of the sod.

I think you and I have broached this subject from a different angle, Geoff, but count my grandmother (born 1915) on your list, please.

Sorry… thought you wrote before 1927! I don’t know how exact an answer you’re going to be able to get, but this population graph gives you a breakdown in five-year increments. 1927’s crop of children falls in the 80-84 category, with 1.8 million men and 3.1 million women as of 2000.

The birth rate between 1925 and 1920 declined by 300,000 but I think for our purposes we could get away with assuming it held steady those five years, so we could say with relative certainty that 20% of the people between 80 and 84 were born in 1927. Apply that to the numbers above and we get 360,000 men and 620,000 women alive today who were born in that year.

IANAStatistician, obviously, but I’d love to see the methods put to work if anyone has the skills, inclination, and time.

That’s probably a good estimate. Now, how many people were born in that year? If we get that figure, we’ll know the percent.

You may not be a statistician, Olentzero, but you did an interesting analysis. Yipes, the women outlived us two-to-one.

I’m probably pretty dense here, but I don’t see the number of males born that year, so is there any way to figure out what percentage that 360,000 is, over the number born?

Maybe I should try to go to the Census Bureau if they have a website, and investigate further.

That is small enough a number still alive that we should all get together and have a massive party, don’t you think? We may even invite you. :smiley:

Mom 1926
Dad 1923

Still living!

This is going to be kinda a long thread if we count them all one-by-one.

According to actuarial life tables, if they died off at the same rate over their lifetimes as similarily aged folks in '05, ~57% of them would still be alive today. Of course, medicine has probably improved survival rates over the last few decades, but I suspect most of the improvement has been in the last decades of life, and the people in question would’ve only hit those advanced ages nearer to 2005, so I think it’s at least a decent first estimate.

In anycase, I bet its still above 50%, so you can’t brag about beating the odds yet :slight_smile:

According to the Statistical Abstract of the United States, the population in 2007 that was male and in the 75-84 age bracket was approximately 5.3 million. Projections for 2010 for the male/80-84 age bracket are roughly 2.3m (the sum of the 2010-projected male/75-79 and male/80-84 brackets is ~5.4m, due to new individuals entering the summed bracket from the bottom).

So definitely a bunch out there. :slight_smile:

Well my grandfather, for one.

My mom was born in 1927 and is still going strong. So are her two closest friends, who she’s known since 1st grade.

Folks born in 1927 would’ve been 78 in 2005, which gives them about a 52% chance of survival. Were you looking at the entry for persons aged 76?

Assuming that mortality hasn’t changed significantly in the last four years (which may be a little bit of a stretch, but let’s run with it), the survivors are now 82, which puts them at about 40% of those born in 1927.

I have two Aunts that are still living, who were born before 1927:

Aunt Virginia 1921
Aunt Frances 1923
Still living!!!

Naw, I was looking at the female column which is 54%. Guys really start to get screwed with respect to their female counterparts after 65 now that childbirth has stopped killing them off at an early age.

I was reading the male column there. Since the number of male births and female births during any given year is very close to equal, it’s appropriate to just average the survival rates, which gives about 58% for persons aged 78 in 2005 and an estimated 47% for persons aged 82 in 2009.

OK, let’s play with the numbers some more! According to the second site I linked to, total live births in the US for the two years measured:[ul]
[li]1925: 2,909,000[/li][li]1930: 2,618,000[/li][/ul]indicating a drop of 291,000 over the five-year period. Assuming (for argument’s sake) an even rate of decline, that gives us 58,200 fewer births per year, so 1927 saw 2,792,600 live births in the United States.

Plug and chug.

Men: 360,000 / 2,792,600 = 12.9%
Women: 620,000 / 2,792,600 = 22.2%

QEF.

My dad was born in 1927. Been smoking a pack of Winstons a day since he was 13.

The survival percentage rate is affected by migration, both immigration into the US and emigration out of the US. For most (if not all) age groups, the net migration rate would have immigration exceeding emigration, which means the survival percentage rate would be smaller.

KlondikeGeoff;11175753]As I was born in 1925, I have spent much, dumb time looking gor the same answer. “How many still living”. Be nice to have a graph of % surviving by age.

The best I came up with was a Mortality table. That is the table the insurance Comp(crooks) use to calculate the price of annuities. This table has folks living longer. For insurance they use a different table where people die earlier. Makes sence for the owners. The former table is more optimistic, obviously. I even tried Mathematica but
no luck. BTW, this is my 1st post, so I’m not sure this will even go anyware.

Accroding to this cite as of 2010 there were about 7 billion people
in the world, of whom roughly 0.75% were 85 (born ~1925) or older.
That means about 52 million people in the world were 85 or older.

Now in 2012 two years later 60 million ought to be a fair estimate
for people 85 and older. I will let someone else try to pin down the
number born in the specific year 1927.

So what’s with all the individual posts about people born in 1927 that are alive?