Old 05-28-2009, 12:31 AM

Dear Ladies: Dirty tampons DO NOT belong in the toilet

Ok, so for the 4th time in 6th months, our main sewage drain out of my work has been clogged up by dirty tampons. I work at a bar, a place that mainly caters to anyone 21 and up.

You've all had at least 7+ years to realize that a tampon is NOT BIODEGRADABLE (at age 21). You SHOULD wrap it up in some TP and put it in the waste basket next to the toilet. Every toilet has a trash can in it. You would think that this would sink in by age 21+.

But lo and behold, no, apparently everyone feels free to flush a tampon when they have a little buzz on and it's not their toilet to clean up.

No, instead they decide to drop it into the toilet, flush, and slowly but surely it makes its' trip down about 40 feet into the main sewer line before the string latches onto some god-awful object that's been stuck to the side of the sewage pipe. It lodges there, and refuses to move. Meanwhile, another 50+ people come in behind you and flush their urine, shit, and perhaps another used tampon or two, and when it all comes to a head there's shit, poo, TP, urine, and blood-speckled tampons coming back up through ALL of the toilets.

Which leads to the whole point of my rant. We bar's don't have too many extra employees to call up for these awful janitorial purposes. We have a cook or two, a bartender, and a server or two.

The servers are going to laugh in your face when you tell them to clean up sewage @ $2.75/hour. The bartender's going to be too busy making drinks to have time to be cleaning up a bathroom. That leaves one of the cooks, who's wage kinda justifies dealing with feces and urine. (In other words, pays better than minimum wage.)

When I went to work today, I was expecting a perfectly normal day. Two of us cooks, a bartender, and 2 servers. Around 8:00 all the toilets start to over flow, there's shit/urine/water/TP/god knows what flowing up through all of our sewage outlets, and mayhem ensues because it's still dinner rush and everyone's 100% busy just doing normal shit, let alone the sewage spewing in the bathrooms.

2 hours, a plumber, 2 mop buckets of sewage, and everything is finally straightened out by 8:30. Thankfully, I was able to pull senior rank and send the rookie in for the shit-mopping duty today, my shoes stayed nice and clean.

But SERIOUSLY, in the past six months we've had 4 used tampons clog our main drainage lines (and 1 pair of panties... I'm not gonna bring that up in this rant though). STOP FLUSHING THAT SHIT. Sooner or later, SOMEBODY'S gonna have to clean up that time-bomb you just dropped in the toilet, just wrap it in some TP and plop it next to the toilet.

I promise, there's not some weirdo Private Investigator following you waiting for you to drop a DNA tampon, just don't fucking put it into the sewage system
Old 05-28-2009, 01:09 AM

You can't blame people too much when the tampon box actually says they are flushable and most people have flushed them for all of those 7+ years in their homes and never had a problem. Did you put signs up in the stalls?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:16 AM

Errmmm...can you put a tampon disposal box (one of them only opens one way, contain smells thingys from the bio disposal people) actually IN the stall?

....or I have parsed your OP wrongly?
Old 05-28-2009, 01:41 AM

Seconding the 'post a sign' idea. I've been taught all my life that tampons are flushable, and I'm guessing most of my peers have too.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:22 AM

It says on the instructions in the box that you can flush them. For realsies. For years I never flushed, but my roommate swore and by gum, it sure says you can.

Now, are your idiot patrons flushing the APPLICATORS? Because that would be stupid and clog your drain.

I just pulled out the instructions right now, it says:
Quote:
For best results, flush tampon separately from bath tissue.
Which certainly seems to imply it's ok to flush.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:42 AM

Read the instructions on a tampon box: you're supposed to flush them.

However, it appears that your plumbing isn't up to the job; quite common in older buildings. Therefore, put a courteous sign in every stall requesting the ladies use the container that you provide--in every stall. You could install these or just use little plastic cans--covered, if possible.

And don't run out of toilet paper!

Last edited by Bridget Burke; 05-28-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:35 AM
Creature of the Night

I would also guess that part of the problem is with the plumbing. Another part, of course, is with the tampon manufacturers for instructing women to flush the tampons. To the best of my knowledge, panties never come with instructions to flush them. I have no idea what the panty flusher was thinking, or if she was thinking.

I would suggest making sure that the waste baskets are large enough to hold several tampons/pads, highly visible, empty, and clean on the outside. I would also suggest signs, saying that your plumbing system just can't handle another tampon, so please use the waste baskets that are provided. Further, make sure the bathroom gets cleaned and restocked regularly, and by regularly I mean several times a shift. Some bars and restaurants have nice, clean bathrooms just about all the time. Others have bathrooms that look like WWII was staged in there, and nothing has been cleaned since. Finally, please, please, PLEASE stock decent toilet paper. Don't stock the stuff that's like very thin waxed paper, only rougher and less absorbent. I have quit going to a couple of restaurants because they have such terrible toilet paper. I'm not asking for first quality paper, I just want something that will remove the waste without removing my skin/mucous membranes at the same time.

On a bathroom related note, I personally prefer to hang my purse on one of those door hooks, rather than put it on the floor. I don't care HOW clean the potty looks and smells, I'd really rather not put my purse on the floor.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget Burke View Post
However, it appears that your plumbing isn't up to the job; quite common in older buildings. Therefore, put a courteous sign in every stall requesting the ladies use the container that you provide--in every stall.
Yeah, this is a problem with your inadequate plumbing.

And you could go for a permanent solution, rather than putting up signs asking your customers to compensate for your problems (which half of them will ignore anyway): fix the plumbing!

If it's happened to you 4 times in the past 6 months, and each time takes 2 hours of a plumbers time at emergency-nighttime rates, you will soon have paid for the re-plumbing just by avoiding these calls. Besides keeping your customers (and employees) happier.

I'm surprised the local health inspector hasn't forced you to fix your plumbing. Probably only because he hasn't heard about this. And of all people, you pick one of the cooks -- the food preparer -- to clean up the overflowing toilet? I'n glad I don't eat at your business!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:43 AM

I really think signs would help, if you can't afford to re-do the whole system. No one wants to cause a toilet to overflow. Really. But most modern plumbing systems can handle tampons, so women will assume yours can, too, unless you tell them otherwise.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 AM

I don't use tampons but my mother did and she flushed them with no probs. Is there some new thing?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 AM

What happens when you flush?

Admittedly it's hard to catch a slick used tampon before it drops in the drink! But it can be done...

Our sewer system serves a lake community, and only the lake people pay for it, it is 30 plus years old and prone to failures. Most of those failures had to do with stuff besides shit piss paper and water going down the pipe. Undies, dental floss, hair, diapers, rags and more weird stuff woudl put a lift station into shut down mode.

Now all sewer users are instructed NOT to put any feminine hygiene products, floss, hair, etc etc down the sewer. It's a rule we can live with since no one likes sewer backing up into their house or the lake.

Water softener discharge is another hassle since the salts and stuff accumulate in the fields when the effluent is released from the lagoons. This threatens the groundwater quality.

No longer can we flush and forget about it!
Old 05-28-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushiel View Post
Seconding the 'post a sign' idea. I've been taught all my life that tampons are flushable, and I'm guessing most of my peers have too.
I flushed for 15 years in my home and we have a septic system. Never EVER had a problem. It's not them; it's you. (YOU the OP...not you kushiel)

Last edited by Kalhoun; 05-28-2009 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

I work in rental property management. We include a clause in our leases that anyone who flushes tampons, snitary napkins, paper towels, wet naps, baby wipes, or disposal diapers pays for the repairs.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:35 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

My father-in-law has managed a huge apartment complex for some 30-odd years now, and has extensive experience with the things people think are flushable. Many years ago he gave me a list of things that it's ok to flush, and I've never had any problem with a toilet since:

1. Bodily waste
2. Toilet paper

That's it...if a product's packaging says it's flushable, that's nice. Don't do it. Johnson & Johnson aren't going to come snake your toilet.

Think it's fine to toss a tissue in there? Try this -- take two glasses of water. Put a tissue in one of them, and a handful of TP in the other. Wait a few hours and see what's left in each glass.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston View Post
My father-in-law has managed a huge apartment complex for some 30-odd years now, and has extensive experience with the things people think are flushable. Many years ago he gave me a list of things that it's ok to flush, and I've never had any problem with a toilet since:

1. Bodily waste
2. Toilet paper
There are four toilets in the three-year-old office building I work in, and all four have been clogged at one time or another by TP. Not even ridiculous quantities- just one deuce's worth.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:45 AM

I was always taught not to flush tampons. My friend's dad runs the local sewer district and says that they cause major problems.

It's not that hard to wrap them up and toss them, is it? I mean, on the off chance that the plumbing you're using can't handle flushable 'poons, why not err on the side of caution?
Old 05-28-2009, 10:12 AM

Another one for "Either fix your plumbing, or put up a sign."

There's a bar close to here in an old building that instructs us not to flush our lady things in a polite and nominally amusing way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loosely paraphrased from the sign in the basement bar
Please do not flush your tampons. Place them in the waste bin.

(We know it's gross, but it's even grosser to pull them out of the drain.)
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM

See the thing about 'just wrap it in some tp and put it into the can' is that it doesn't acknowledge the fact that once exposed to the air, used tampons start to stink almost immediately.

Really.

Especially in warm weather, in an hour or two the reek of decaying blood can turn your stomach.

In addition, just try wrapping a soaked tampon in toilet paper without getting blood on your hands. Okay, in a 'normal' bathroom you have the sink handy and can rinse off. In a commercial bathroom stall? Nope. There you are with bloody hands, and you still have to take care of reinserting a new one. (For the males who might not know: if you use non-applicator types of tampons, having your hands even damp can cause the tampon to start swelling prematurely -- which can make inserting anything from awkward through painful to impossible.)

Even worse, then you have to deal with getting your undies back in place, maybe panty hose, then your outer clothing ... WITHOUT getting blood smears all over everything.

Not easy.

And, maybe I'm squeamish, but AFAIAC, used tampons ARE bodily waste and I don't want to handle them. Would you ask us to wrap up our feces and deposit them in a can?

So. Tampons have been used for over half a century now. Women flush them. That's how it is.

If seems to me that the plumbing industry needs to suck it up and design their systems to, er, suck them down reliably.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:17 AM

Wrap them up?

Someone at work apparently doesn't believe in wrapping them up. Every now and then (I don't know, a few times per month, maybe) I'm greeted by a nice, cheery, rosy pad sitting gleefully atop the trash.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:27 AM

It really is a matter of having adequate (clean, frequently emptied, ideally with a closed top) trash cans. If a woman is balancing above the toilet seat in heels, slightly drunk with her skirt hiked up a new tampon in her teeth, she'll likely take the easiest route (flushing). A sign should improve things a tad. If you don't have a trash can at all in a public or even private bathroom, frankly you are asking for trouble. Even the kindest, most sober lady doesn't want to wander the halls, wrapped tampon in hand, looking for somewhere to dispose it.

I've been taught not to flush them and really I think it's best to always err on the side of caution (i.e. not staring in horror as the toilet overflows) – unless you're somewhere with an open wastebasket and a dog. The two do not mix.

Last edited by Cat Fight; 05-28-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:09 AM

I, too, work at a bar...and I flush my tampons.

The problem in the OP is with the plumbing, not the tampon-flushing clientele.

We do have signs posted in the bathrooms NOT to flush the paper towels used for hand-drying, but tampons have never created any problems.

And honestly I've worked in bars and restaurants for over a decade, and there are ALWAYS problems with the toilets. People get drunk and stupid and decide it would be "funny" to flush a whole roll of TP down the toilet, or they drop other foreign objects in the toilets accidentally or on purpose....and plumbing mayhem ensues.

Even if you post signs, a percentage of your clientele is going to be too drunk/oblivious/stubborn to heed them.

Having said that, if tampons ARE a problem for your plumbing, posting signs will reduce the number of incidents. It won't eliminate them, but it will help. Particularly if there is a trash can and plenty of TP in every stall.

Just remember that for the majority of the female public, tampons DO belong in the toilet. So take your ire out on your plumbing, and possibly your management for not solving the issue, vs. your clientele.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight View Post
It really is a matter of having adequate (clean, frequently emptied, ideally with a closed top) trash cans. If a woman is balancing above the toilet seat in heels, slightly drunk with her skirt hiked up a new tampon in her teeth, she'll likely take the easiest route (flushing). A sign should improve things a tad. If you don't have a trash can at all in a public or even private bathroom, frankly you are asking for trouble. Even the kindest, most sober lady doesn't want to wander the halls, wrapped tampon in hand, looking for somewhere to dispose it.

I've been taught not to flush them and really I think it's best to always err on the side of caution (i.e. not staring in horror as the toilet overflows) – unless you're somewhere with an open wastebasket and a dog. The two do not mix.
It couldn't hurt to check and empty the receptacles at least daily. Sometimes the -- uh -- "fragrance" -- can be less than fresh and perfumey.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper9760 View Post
I was always taught not to flush tampons. My friend's dad runs the local sewer district and says that they cause major problems.

It's not that hard to wrap them up and toss them, is it? I mean, on the off chance that the plumbing you're using can't handle flushable 'poons, why not err on the side of caution?
The problem is a lot of people are taught to flush them. How would they know to err on the side of caution when they didn't think they'd need to worry?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:58 AM

I'm female and I've never flushed them. I'm not sure why. My mom never told me that--she did make it clear that pads were never to be flushed, so maybe I just assumed the same with tampons? I just figured that nothing but bodily waste and TP got flushed. I've had to yell at guys not to flush condoms, too, so maybe some people see the toilet as the great emptier.

ETA: Through googling, I found this Jezebel article on tampon flushing, and from the comments, a LOT of people get very pissy about their right to flush and how disgusting it is to have a used tampon in the trash. Am I the only female who's heard of the wonders of wrapping their tampons up in toilet paper and then regularly taking out the trash?

Last edited by Freudian Slit; 05-28-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-bonham@scc.net View Post
Yeah, this is a problem with your inadequate plumbing.

And you could go for a permanent solution, rather than putting up signs asking your customers to compensate for your problems (which half of them will ignore anyway): fix the plumbing!

If it's happened to you 4 times in the past 6 months, and each time takes 2 hours of a plumbers time at emergency-nighttime rates, you will soon have paid for the re-plumbing just by avoiding these calls. Besides keeping your customers (and employees) happier.

I'm surprised the local health inspector hasn't forced you to fix your plumbing. Probably only because he hasn't heard about this. And of all people, you pick one of the cooks -- the food preparer -- to clean up the overflowing toilet? I'n glad I don't eat at your business!
Did you not catch the part where the Original Poster IS one of the cooks?
Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 PM

What's the deal with tampons anyway? Isn't it there to stop blood with bits of flesh in it from dripping down your leg? How do you know thats not going to start again when your at the bar and you pull out the stopper?

ICK. So glad to be a man.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post
What's the deal with tampons anyway? Isn't it there to stop blood with bits of flesh in it from dripping down your leg? How do you know thats not going to start again when your at the bar and you pull out the stopper?

Um, not sure if this is a whoosh, but it isn't to stop the flow. It absorbs the flow, same as a pad, but it's internal. And you don't pull out the tampon when you're at the bar. You usually remove it in the bathroom and you replace it with another tampon.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
And you don't pull out the tampon when you're at the bar.
Maybe you're going to the wrong kinds of bars.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:54 PM

It really has never occurred to me not to flush a tampon. The box says flushable and I believe them. I also have septic and have never had a problem with using them. The OP needs to have the powers that be fix the plumbing problem. If there was a sign I'd make the effort as long as I were straight. But buzzed? That baby is going down like usual.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego View Post

A tampon isn't a stopper, but then you wouldn't know that, being a man.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:02 PM

When I first started using them, I flushed one (the box said they were flushable) - ONCE! We lived in an older house, with older plumbing, and dad was furious when he found out what had clogged the drain. I haven't even considered flushing one since. I just wrap them thoroughly in TP and place them in the little metal box attached to the side of the stall. IME, (okay, TMI ), if you hold them by the "tail," you don't get anything on your hands, and what little there is is easily wiped off with a bit of TP. YMMV
Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 PM

Reason #20 I'm glad I'm a guy.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:41 PM

True story:

I went with my ex-wife, her family, and her best friend to a rented house in Plymouth, MA, right on the beach. We spent the night drinking and eating lobster, eventually crashing at around 3:00 am. Her best friend, let's call her Kristen (because that's her name), apparently had to change the, um, filter at around this time. Instead of flushing it, she just wrapped it loosely with two squares of TP and threw it in the waste basket. By the time everyone got up at 10 or so, the house reeked of dried blood and dirty vagina (because that's what Kristen obviously had). It was the most pungent odor I've ever smelled -- it forced your face to contort into the one small eye, one big eye configuration. So, this, coupled with everyone being hungover, produced a lot of vomit (and shame) the next door.

So, ladies, please, if you can't flush the fuckers, at least take them with you in a nice little scent-locking pouch.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:48 PM

Maybe your friend had some kind of vaginal infection? Because I've never heard of such a thing. I regularly throw mine out and I've never had the smell be an issue.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie-Xmas View Post
I work in rental property management. We include a clause in our leases that anyone who flushes tampons, snitary napkins, paper towels, wet naps, baby wipes, or disposal diapers pays for the repairs.
One of our tenants flushed a douche bottle once. No, really.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe your friend had some kind of vaginal infection?
That has to be the case, because I have never once encountered the smell described. Not even in Plymouth.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
That has to be the case, because I have never once encountered the smell described. Not even in Plymouth.
Or in A Plymouth?

"Brand-new, she was. She had the smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world, 'cept maybe for pussy."
Old 05-28-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Or in A Plymouth?

"Brand-new, she was. She had the smell of a brand-new car. That's just about the finest smell in the world, 'cept maybe for pussy."
LOL, that's a great quote.

Shitter.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:08 PM

Women who don't dispose of them properly (i.e., wrap, wrap, wrap them up) and who have heavy periods and who don't take the trash out in a timely manner are the ones who will have the odiferous tampon issues.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyGarrett View Post

So, ladies, please, if you can't flush the fuckers, at least take them with you in a nice little scent-locking pouch.
First, "take them with you"? Not gonna happen.

Second; if this pouch even exists, I'd be amazed.

Third; If I know the place I'm at is on a septic system, especially old ones, then I wrap and toss, but otherwise I flush. I've never had problems nor known anyone to actually have problems with their plumbing because of flushed tampons (until this thread, that is!) I doubt I'm going to change my habits.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:44 PM

Take them with me?? I'm sorry, but fuck you! I say that with some humor and some horror too. What in the bloody hell am I going to do with a used tampon? (pun DEFINITELY intended) I mean....

- I don't always carry a purse. Especially on light days (like the last day of my period). A couple of tampons easily slide into a pocket. Some sort of nasty scented purse is not going to cut it.
- I kind of pride myself on being clean and neat. What if someone ever found that nasty bloody little pouch? What if I got into an accident and they went through my purse to look for contact info and that's what they found? *draws into a full body shudder*
- As far as I'm concerned the farther away we get from our forebears in things like this the better. They washed their blood-soaked rags. I use a tampon.

It is difficult even to wrap them, especially on heavy days, but I am more willing to do that. Only there must be a garbage can in the stall. Preferably one of those heavy ones. I am not carrying my tampon into the main area of the bathroom, even.

I never flush on septic systems either. I add my voice to the chorus suggesting a nice note. You won't stop the drunks but most of us girls when sober don't want to jam up the toilets; it's embarrassing. But we don't know not to!

Take them with me. *shudder*

Last edited by Anaamika; 05-28-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:01 PM

Our plumbing at home can't cope with tampons.

I would say - put up a sign in each toilet & ge tthe proper covered rubbish containers designed for tampon disposal.

Or get a job in a more modern restaurant!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:04 PM

If I had a dollar for every tampon I've pulled out of old drain systems, I'd pay off a Corvette!!

Modern PVC piping is smooth on the inside, and the little white mice flow gently down the pipes with the water & paper. Old cast iron or even worse galvanized piping is rough and tends to catch the little fuckers. Once the water is past them, they sit there & dry to the pipe, causing a nice little clog, which then catches the next one, and the next one, and so on until your pipe is totally clogged and your plumber is doubling the bill because it's a MAJOR pain in the ass to get those things off of a snake cable.

I had a call to a customer's home one time for a clogged drain. I went out and had to get on the roof (old house, no cleanout in the yard, cast iron pipes) to snake it out. He came up to the roof with me to watch me work. In talking, he mentioned that he had had a really bad weekend, and that he was glad it was Monday. I ran about 120' of cable down the drain and heard it clear with a "whoosh". As I pulled the cable back out, no less than 12 tampons were wrapped up in the cable. I nodded to him and said "I see why you had a bad weekend!!" He bill went up with every little white bundle of joy!
Old 05-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Creature of the Night

I forgot to mention another complicating factor, which is the size of the stalls. I've been in bathrooms where the stalls were so small that it was impossible to get into them and close the door. Now, I'm fat, granted, but when there is literally one inch of clearance between the throne and the stall door so that the user has to straddle the seat in order to open or close the door...let's just say that this situation does not increase any goodwill between a woman and the establishment. It's not something that the workers can realistically do anything about, other than take down the doors and put in a cloth curtain, which has its own problems, but if a woman is even slightly buzzed, and has already had to manuever to get into the damn stall and close the door, she's not likely to be in the mood to further manipulate a bloody tampon. Even a quite small woman is likely to be disgusted at the meagerness of space in some stalls.

Speaking of commercial restrooms, I hate it when there's no paper towels. I can and will use an air dryer on my hands, but what if someone has spilled something on me? I need to dampen a paper towel and try to get it off. The paper towel, of course, goes in the trash can, not down the toilet.

Touchless faucets, on the other hand, are pretty nifty.

To sum up:
  • Make sure that the bathroom is clean
  • Make sure the trash is emptied on a regular basis, in each stall and in the main room
  • Put up a sign, saying that your plumbing is old and cranky and can't deal with tampons
  • Make sure the bathroom is properly supplied, with decent toilet paper
  • Paper towels are a MUST
  • Adequate space is a must
Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun View Post
I flushed for 15 years in my home and we have a septic system. Never EVER had a problem. It's not them; it's you. (YOU the OP...not you kushiel)
When I moved up here and got on septic, my friend told me in no uncertain terms never to flush a tampon. I've had to a few times when they slipped out but other than that I obey.

Even on town sewer when I was growing up I didn't since my father said not to.

Stupid male authority figures.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi View Post
When I moved up here and got on septic, my friend told me in no uncertain terms never to flush a tampon. I've had to a few times when they slipped out but other than that I obey.

Even on town sewer when I was growing up I didn't since my father said not to.

Stupid male authority figures.
How is that a male authority figure thing? The Jezebel article took the same tone--the author got extremely mad whenever the toilet would back up and her male housemate got annoyed. I don't think it's a male/female thing, but a common sense thing.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:20 PM

So, it's acceptable to flush them in the US?

I had a housemate who used to do this and I thought it was absolutely gross. She used to chuck the plastic wrapper in there as well and once I found a condom. It's not a fucking litter bin!!

Tampax boxes say something about it being best to chuck them but they are flushable. I thought they ended up in the sea - radio 2 had a lovely feature about the top ten types of litter that people encounter at beaches. I'm in the UK btw and am wondering if I'm just a freak for flushing them.

But yes, PROVIDE A BIN WITH A LID. I hate it when workplaces don't do this, and restaurants and pubs are nearly as bad. Plus surely you can't flush the applicator.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:38 PM

I forgot to post about my most horrifying tampon related incident.

In Venice, I stayed in a pretty basic youth hostel. Dormitories, bread roll for breakfast, no toilet seats. And no bins in the toilet cubicles.

So I was on the end of my period for the first couple of days there and had to wrap up the tampon, take it out of the cubicle and chuck it in the bin beside the sinks. Not great, but what else am I going to do. I seriously doubt that place's plumbing could have handled it and like I said above I don't flush tampons.

And then whilst balancing on the edge of the toilet, I looked up and discovered an alternative option....Just sticking them (pads as well) amongst the wooden beams. Yes, that's what some girls were doing.

I had this OCD-esque need to look up a few other times whilst I was there and apparently the cleaners didn't know or didn't care.

Ew.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:43 PM

I only flush clean tampons. Is that helpful?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:44 PM

I'm amazed at how many women flush them, according to this thread, but I have to say I'm also surprised to learn that the boxes tell you to flush them. Pretty fucking irresponsible of the manufacturers, in my opinion.

As a kid I was always taught never to flush anything except pee/poop and toilet paper. It's a toilet, not a watery trash can, for fuck's sake. The design of a tampon is to absorb moisture and expand. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that the expansion could cause a clog down the line.

"Replace your plumbing" you say? Yeah, right. What about people in apartment buildings, what should they do? Should the management re-plumb the entire building, including down through the area below ground to where it meets up with the public sewer? My wife has wrapped them and thrown them in the trash her entire life. I can say with certainty that they do not smell, although maybe it's because my wife is just dainty.

Although I do sympathize with the size of some public bathrooms. I know I wouldn't want to negotiate the undies around the thighs, skirt hiked up, straddling the toilet, dealing with the bloody plug and disposing of it, and inserting the new one, all inside some of the bar bathrooms I've had the misfortune of visiting.

But seriously- don't flush 'em.