The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 AM

zombie comic strips

There are far too many zombie strips. I don't mean comic strips that just ain't funny, but ones that should have been retired. I don't understand how some of them continue to be in the comics pages when they aren't even relvant or funny anymore. Don't get me wrong, some strips had their heyday, but now they're just taking up space and keeping it from any new fresh comic strip that could be out there. (I don't mean that for my own benefit either as an aspiring cartoonist, some of these strips boggle my mind)

I realize this is only my opinion, but if I had to pick a few to be cut I'd have this list

Peanuts: Yes, I know, everyone loves Peanuts. I love Peanuts. Shulz created more than a strip in that, it became a national icon. But he retired the strip just before his death. Why now do we see "Classic Peanuts" still on the comics page? I mean, yeah, its hard to see Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the others go, but if I were an editor I’d wonder if there wasn’t another, newer fresher strip that could replace it.

Blondie: Is anyone actually reading it? I’m not trying to be a dickweed, I just really don’t get it. I can’t recall ever laughing at it and for Pete’s sake, Blondie is how old? Wasn’t this strip created in the 30’s? Dagwood eating big sandwiches and running into the mailman were probably great gags, 30 or 40 years ago.

Calvin and Hobbes: I know I’ll take some heat for mentioning it, but C+H has been discontinued by its creator years ago. I wish it wasn’t, because it was an awesome strip. I have all of the books. Why are we rerunning all of Clavin’s misadventures now?

BC: I thought BC was pretty funny in the 70’s when you could buy the old Fawcett paperbacks of the strips…but Johnny Hart has passed now. I know his family has picked up the torch for the strip, (reusing Hart’s drawings with new dialogue I believe.) Jeez, we can’t let it go, can we? Same for the Wizard of Id which stopped being funny about 20 years ago.

Beetle Bailey: I suppose it just irks me because I’m in the army and Beetle Bailey is nothing like in any sense the army, even in a comic strip sense…..no, its’ cuz it just really isn’t that funny. Now 30 or 40 years ago? Well, maybe then. Meh.

Wee pals: Jeez! This strip is still in print!? I thought it disappeared in the 80s!

Strips I just plain can’t stand:

Mallard Fillmore: Tinsley wouldn’t have a job if not for Doonesbury, which while old, is at least still amusing and relevant. MF is so bad that yes, it is in syndication to offer a conservative view compared to Doonesbury’s more liberal view. Affirmative action! Geez, they couldn’t find you know, a funny, well written strip to do that?

9 Chickweed Lane: I started of kinda liking it, but it quickly became tiresome.

Snuffy Smith: Should be included in the zombie section here, but I really can’t stand that strip. All I can think of is tongues every time I see it.

There are probably more but I have to get back to work. Aw well, these are just my opinions anyway. I don’t mean to offend anyone who might actually like the strips I mentioned.

Last edited by Jolly Roger; 06-02-2009 at 11:33 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 06-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Are you a 'Mudge, Jolly Roger? Because if you're not, you really should be.

One of us one of us one of us one of us...
Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
Charter Member

Peanuts and Calvin&Hobbes are timeless.
Issues are raised that are faced by every kid.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Romney Voldemort supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
Indeed. The Noodles Incident.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Peanuts: Yes, I know, everyone loves Peanuts. I love Peanuts. Shulz created more than a strip in that, it became a national icon. But he retired the strip just before his death. Why now do we see "Classic Peanuts" still on the comics page? I mean, yeah, its hard to see Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the others go, but if I were an editor Iíd wonder if there wasnít another, newer fresher strip that could replace it.
Agreed. For a newspaper to run "Classic Peanuts" prominently on its comics page is like a network running old episodes of, say, The Dick Van Dyke Show or Cheers in prime time.
Quote:
Blondie: Is anyone actually reading it? Iím not trying to be a dickweed, I just really donít get it. I canít recall ever laughing at it and for Peteís sake, Blondie is how old? Wasnít this strip created in the 30ís? Dagwood eating big sandwiches and running into the mailman were probably great gags, 30 or 40 years ago.
Sorry, can't agree with you here. For some reason "Blondie" strikes me as the least dated and most amusing of the old strips that have outlived their original creators. And Dagwood's sandwiches will never go out of style. Kill off "Hi and Lois," "Beetle Bailey," "Dennis the Menace," and "The Family Circus," but keep "Blondie" around.
Quote:
Calvin and Hobbes: I know Iíll take some heat for mentioning it, but C+H has been discontinued by its creator years ago. I wish it wasnít, because it was an awesome strip. I have all of the books. Why are we rerunning all of Clavinís misadventures now?
Really? Some papers are still rerunning C&H? See my comments under "Peanuts."

(On second look: "Clavin's misadventures"? Now that I would read! A mailman and his tiger...)
Quote:
BC: I thought BC was pretty funny in the 70ís when you could buy the old Fawcett paperbacks of the stripsÖbut Johnny Hart has passed now. I know his family has picked up the torch for the strip, (reusing Hartís drawings with new dialogue I believe.) Jeez, we canít let it go, can we? Same for the Wizard of Id which stopped being funny about 20 years ago.
Thank the comics gods, my paper retired "B.C." when Hart died.
Quote:
Mallard Fillmore: Tinsley wouldnít have a job if not for Doonesbury, which while old, is at least still amusing and relevant. MF is so bad that yes, it is in syndication to offer a conservative view compared to Doonesburyís more liberal view. Affirmative action! Geez, they couldnít find you know, a funny, well written strip to do that?
"Mallard Fillmore" and "Doonesbury" are nothing alike (except that I don't particularly care for either): "Doonesbury" has characters has characters and plotlines. "Mallard Fillmore" has a conservative cheap shot accompanied by a drawing of a duck, and is way more of an editorial cartoon than a comic strip.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Are you a 'Mudge, Jolly Roger? Because if you're not, you really should be.

One of us one of us one of us one of us...
Fruhlinger has convinced me that Beetle Bailey should always remain with us as long as each strip can be interpreted in the context of Beetle's and Sarge's unspoken and unconsummated love for each other. It's a brilliant, tragic tale.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Indeed. The Noodles Incident.
Nobody can prove that!
Old 06-02-2009, 12:48 PM

Who cares what newspapers do? In five years, there will only be about five newspapers left in the US, and the comicless New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today are three of them. Newspaper strips are zombies because newspaper readers are zombies.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I don't understand how some of them continue to be in the comics pages when they aren't even relvant or funny anymore.
Two reasons: Old people and money. Actually there's a third: Editors who consider the comics page a hassle.

Frustrated Cartoonist Rant:

It doesn't matter that the zombie strips are no longer fresh or funny. They're familiar. And that makes them favorites of the older demographic, the one demographic newspapers are trying to cling on to. New comics with fresh ideas or perspectives have limited opportunities to see print and are usually the first ones to get the chop, usually because the didn't click with their older demographic. Never mind attracting a younger one.

And most comic editors rather not deal with angry old people. Not only do they not want to sour their base, but they don't consider the comic section worthy of the effort. Unlike the early days, when comic were viewed as a means of increasing readership, they're now looked upon as being beneath the business of serious journalism. So instead of devoting effort and discernment to the content of the section, most editors stick with what works for their dwindling readership and toss up a poll every now and then to feign interest. No other section's content is decided that way, especially when the results are skewed in favor of those with the time and inclination to participate.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I don't know, B.C. has actually been a lot funnier since Hart's family took it over. Towards the end, there, the strip was nothing but an endless succession of religious polemics, with nary a joke in sight, but now, there are jokes again. It's still far from the top tier of strips, but it's not terrible.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
I don't know, B.C. has actually been a lot funnier since Hart's family took it over. Towards the end, there, the strip was nothing but an endless succession of religious polemics, with nary a joke in sight, but now, there are jokes again. It's still far from the top tier of strips, but it's not terrible.
And some pretty risque jokes, too, from a pre-death Hart standard. Which means they're about as risque as a 1970s celebrity-panel game show, but still...

Last edited by jayjay; 06-02-2009 at 01:44 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 01:44 PM
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member

I thought we agreed not to mention the Noodle Incident.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:54 PM

I'd like to say I'm very disappointed to find that not one - not one - of the comic strips in question prominently feature zombies. Terribly misleading.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible spoon View Post
I'd like to say I'm very disappointed to find that not one - not one - of the comic strips in question prominently feature zombies. Terribly misleading.
I think you have to go to webcomics for that.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post

(On second look: "Clavin's misadventures"? Now that I would read! A mailman and his tiger...)
Calvin grew up and became a mailman? I thought it was all up when Lio found the sled and stuffed tiger in the snow...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not necessarily--there's always Lio.

ETA: Dadgum carnivorousplant for sneaking in with a Lio reference while I was searching for a zombie strip!

Last edited by Biffy the Elephant Shrew; 06-02-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstone View Post
Fruhlinger has convinced me that Beetle Bailey should always remain with us as long as each strip can be interpreted in the context of Beetle's and Sarge's unspoken and unconsummated love for each other. It's a brilliant, tragic tale.
Ah, the real reason Obama hasn't repealed "Don't ask, don't tell."
Old 06-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivorousplant View Post
Calvin grew up and became a mailman? I thought it was all up when Lio found the sled and stuffed tiger in the snow...
The hot gossip is that Calvin grew up and became Frazz, actually. Although the character is not named Calvin.

And the joke about the mailman was a reference to the typo "Clavin"...as in Cliff Clavern, from Cheers.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hirundo82 View Post
Ah, the real reason Obama hasn't repealed "Don't ask, don't tell."
You know, if Beetle really gets jazzed by Sarge's bodytype, you have to wonder what the sexual tension's like when he visits his sister Lois and her Sarge-body-like husband, Hi...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post

ETA: Dadgum carnivorousplant for sneaking in with a Lio reference while I was searching for a zombie strip!
Find the one in question and one up me.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

The champ: Gasoline Alley. Man, was that ever funny? Even if it used to be, sometime during the Hoover administration, that's no reason to keep it running; it's just a bunch of nothing mixed with "gosh, we sure are old now!" for filler.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:

Mallard Fillmore: Tinsley wouldnít have a job if not for Doonesbury, which while old, is at least still amusing and relevant. MF is so bad that yes, it is in syndication to offer a conservative view compared to Doonesburyís more liberal view. Affirmative action! Geez, they couldnít find you know, a funny, well written strip to do that?
Hijack, because I was thinking about this the other day: Why is it that, by and large, conservatives have such a hard time being funny? There's Mallard, that Fox News comedy show that lasted, what, 1 episode?, that spoof movie from last year with Chris Farley's brother playing a Michael Moore character - what's up? P.J. O'Rourke manages (managed? - haven't read him since high school) to be funny, and I'm sure there must be some conservative stand-ups that are good, but broadly speaking, comedy seems to belong to the lefties. Maybe I should have just started a separate thread. Sorry.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
OK

Zombie Hunters is more of a drama than a comedy, though.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:50 PM

I rarely see it, but I freaking LOVE Mallard Fillmore. It is so woefully unfunny that it is hysterical. It strikes me as coming from a bunch of overweight, over 60 Republicans sitting around trying to be "cool."
Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The hot gossip is that Calvin grew up and became Frazz, actually. Although the character is not named Calvin...
No, no. Calvin grew older (not "up") and became Slick.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Sluggy Freelance does zombies.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible spoon View Post
I know. It leaves me wishing that I could draw...at all. I now have the desire to use zombies in a webcomic to poke fun at music, much like the rarely updated, seemingly yet again defunct Indie Tits strip. Alas, I have all the drawing skills of a promising 5th grader.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodstockbirdybird View Post
Hijack, because I was thinking about this the other day: Why is it that, by and large, conservatives have such a hard time being funny? There's Mallard, that Fox News comedy show that lasted, what, 1 episode?, that spoof movie from last year with Chris Farley's brother playing a Michael Moore character - what's up? P.J. O'Rourke manages (managed? - haven't read him since high school) to be funny, and I'm sure there must be some conservative stand-ups that are good, but broadly speaking, comedy seems to belong to the lefties. Maybe I should have just started a separate thread. Sorry.
Good question. I've been wondering about that myself.

Maybe I'll have to go into stand-up just to make up the deficit.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Probably they couldn't. I don't know why, but there just don't seem to be any funny American conservatives. Editorial cartoonist Michael Ramirez is not funny. Wayne Stayskal is so lame it's embarrassing. So is Dennis Miller ever since he left SNL. P.J. O'Rourke has his moments, but he has not been very funny since his National Lampoon days. I haven't heard a funny RW standup since Sam Kinnison died, if he even counts; I've heard some bits by "Christian comedians" and they're not funny.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
There are far too many zombie strips. I don't mean comic strips that just ain't funny, but ones that should have been retired. I don't understand how some of them continue to be in the comics pages when they aren't even relvant or funny anymore. Don't get me wrong, some strips had their heyday, but now they're just taking up space and keeping it from any new fresh comic strip that could be out there. (I don't mean that for my own benefit either as an aspiring cartoonist, some of these strips boggle my mind)

I realize this is only my opinion, but if I had to pick a few to be cut I'd have this list

Peanuts: Yes, I know, everyone loves Peanuts. I love Peanuts. Shulz created more than a strip in that, it became a national icon. But he retired the strip just before his death. Why now do we see "Classic Peanuts" still on the comics page? I mean, yeah, its hard to see Snoopy, Charlie Brown and the others go, but if I were an editor Iíd wonder if there wasnít another, newer fresher strip that could replace it.

Blondie: Is anyone actually reading it? Iím not trying to be a dickweed, I just really donít get it. I canít recall ever laughing at it and for Peteís sake, Blondie is how old? Wasnít this strip created in the 30ís? Dagwood eating big sandwiches and running into the mailman were probably great gags, 30 or 40 years ago.

Calvin and Hobbes: I know Iíll take some heat for mentioning it, but C+H has been discontinued by its creator years ago. I wish it wasnít, because it was an awesome strip. I have all of the books. Why are we rerunning all of Clavinís misadventures now?

BC: I thought BC was pretty funny in the 70ís when you could buy the old Fawcett paperbacks of the stripsÖbut Johnny Hart has passed now. I know his family has picked up the torch for the strip, (reusing Hartís drawings with new dialogue I believe.) Jeez, we canít let it go, can we? Same for the Wizard of Id which stopped being funny about 20 years ago.

Beetle Bailey: I suppose it just irks me because Iím in the army and Beetle Bailey is nothing like in any sense the army, even in a comic strip senseÖ..no, itsí cuz it just really isnít that funny. Now 30 or 40 years ago? Well, maybe then. Meh.

Wee pals: Jeez! This strip is still in print!? I thought it disappeared in the 80s!

Strips I just plain canít stand:

9 Chickweed Lane: I started of kinda liking it, but it quickly became tiresome.

Snuffy Smith: Should be included in the zombie section here, but I really canít stand that strip. All I can think of is tongues every time I see it.

There are probably more but I have to get back to work. Aw well, these are just my opinions anyway. I donít mean to offend anyone who might actually like the strips I mentioned.
Can't believe you left out The Family Circus! (The sole redeeming feature of which is that it mutation-spawned The Dysfunctional Family Circus.)
Old 06-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Why is it that, by and large, conservatives have such a hard time being funny?
Perhaps there's a fine line between "look how silly those guys are!" and "look how morally superior we are!" and conservatives are more prone to cross it. The former has comic potential, the latter less so.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Why is it that, by and large, conservatives have such a hard time being funny?
Sixteen years of Bushes and a lot of good subject material, particularly the last eight. Eight years of Clinton, and how many jokes can you make about fellatio? Maybe they'll get some good jokes about Obama.

Why doesn't Keane go after Pastis? That arc where Rat was kidnapped at a FC convention was great.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Torque View Post
The champ: Gasoline Alley. Man, was that ever funny? Even if it used to be, sometime during the Hoover administration, that's no reason to keep it running; it's just a bunch of nothing mixed with "gosh, we sure are old now!" for filler.
It really stopped being a humor strip with the arrival of Skeezix in 1921. Then it became something of a soap opera/adventure strip with humorous sidelights -- the formula for its success.

Nearly all continuity strips are zombies, killed by the necessities of plotting around a newspaper.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
P.J.'s first couple of books were very funny, and then he went downhill, and I gave up. He wasn't funny at all on Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me - a bit unfunnier than Amy Dickinson, IMO.

When I read National Review in the late '60s, early '70s it had some (intentionally) funny bits. But Tinsley can't be funny even when liberals do something stupid that could legitimately be made fun of. Pretty sad.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:

My paper carries this because it is a sister paper of the Oakland Tribune, and the artist lives in Oakland. More stereotypes in this one than in the rest of the comic section combined.

Blondie has updated to the more or less present, but I'm for keeping it as long as they keep drawing her as hot as they have been.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner pat View Post
I never meant to say they weren't great strips...I have a bookshelf full of Peanuts and Calvin and Hobbes. But neither strip is being continued. Peanuts, because Shulz is obviously gone, and C+H because Watterson retired it. Its only my opinion, but I think the limited space of the comic pages could be better used if it were devoted to newer strips. Just sayin'.

Jayjay, yep, I frequent the Comics Curmudgeon site at times. Which actually reminds me of some strips I forgot to mention that I really wish would go away. I knowthey won't, but their sole entertainment value is only found at places like the Curmudgeon site:

Crock: Ok, even as a kid when I first saw Crock I trhought it was lame. Really lame. Its badly drawn and the jokes are horrible. I would be really shocked to find that anyone actually enjoys it.

Cathy: ACK! Or as I've seen it said on the CC site "Cathy must die".

As for Family Circus, I'm sure that someone out there is a big fan of it. Deranged soccer mom or something.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:48 PM

I still love Peanuts, it's in the top 5 of my favorite comic strips. Though some are better than others. And though I've read it for years, there are some that are new to me, though they're 30 years old. I'd like to read new, funny, cutting edge comic strips, where are they???? Online, I suppose. Gil Thorp and Gasoline Alley can't be budged from the newspaper....
Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 PM

Daily Ink has "vintage" comics. I like Buzz Sawyer, the last year or so I read on Sundays visiting my Grandmother, and Flash Gordon, but I guess the web is much different from taking up space in the newspaper. Our Conservative paper here ran Doonesbury as the only comic in the business section. Go figure.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Blondie: Is anyone actually reading it? Iím not trying to be a dickweed, I just really donít get it. I canít recall ever laughing at it and for Peteís sake, Blondie is how old? Wasnít this strip created in the 30ís?
1930. Blondie started out as a flapper named Blondie Boopadoop; Dagwood was a wealthy scion who gave up the Bumstead family fortune to marry her.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Blondie has updated to the more or less present, but I'm for keeping it as long as they keep drawing her as hot as they have been.
Check out Nancy's aunt Fritzi sometime.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 PM

For Better or For Worse - Last summer, the cartoonist wrapped up the plotline in a big wedding and "happily ever after" conclusion, after (IIRC) announcing earlier in the year that she'd planned to finally retire and spend time with her husband. All's well that ends well, right? Nope. Nearing the "home stretch", her husband left her, and she unretired - she still brought the old storyline to a close, then started the comic strip all over again, with the same plotlines and some minor dialogue changes and references updated. I'm not even sure that she redid any or much art, since she claimed she was going back to her old style of drawing.

Last edited by Ferret Herder; 06-02-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Old 06-02-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
For Better or For Worse - Last summer, the cartoonist wrapped up the plotline in a big wedding and "happily ever after" conclusion, after (IIRC) announcing earlier in the year that she'd planned to finally retire and spend time with her husband. All's well that ends well, right? Nope. Nearing the "home stretch", her husband left her, and she unretired - she still brought the old storyline to a close, then started the comic strip all over again, with the same plotlines and some minor dialogue changes and references updated. I'm not even sure that she redid any or much art, since she claimed she was going back to her old style of drawing.
And this time around, she's more or less making John a pretty assholish dick, I guess to make sure we all know what an assholish dick his real-life model is.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
And this time around, she's more or less making John a pretty assholish dick, I guess to make sure we all know what an assholish dick his real-life model is.
Oh yes, I forgot - the strip was a wish-fulfillment fantasy for her the first time around (making the characters carry out her stated wishes for their RL versions' lives), so this time she's demonizing her ex too. Not that she treated him like a shining model of good husbandness the first time around, mind you.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:44 PM

On the other hand, I am saddened that the rebirth of Pogo failed. There a re lots of good new strips out there, but they fail (Liberty Meadows, The World of Lilly Wong) or cannot into papers (Simulated Comic Content).

We ought to get rid of the zombies and let new talent have its day.
Do you know a child in need?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:56 PM

Liberty Meadows is hardly what I'd call "new," but you have a point. Inertia combined with the future of newspapers these days will not give real talent a place in print.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:11 AM

Do any papers carry Liberty Meadows? I know frank Cho was getting annoyed with all of the censoring of his material.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in Qatar View Post
On the other hand, I am saddened that the rebirth of Pogo failed. There a re lots of good new strips out there, but they fail (Liberty Meadows, The World of Lilly Wong) or cannot into papers (Simulated Comic Content).

We ought to get rid of the zombies and let new talent have its day.
I agree with your last statement, Paul. To be clear, I understand why some strips live on in zombified form.....but still there are some that are less about actually being funny or entertaining then they are about taking up space because some old codger can't let it go and writes the editor.

Blondie will probably always be around....even if I don't like it very much there are people that do. Same with BC....

But come on...Nancy? Snuffy Smith? I find it hard to swallow that a significant number of the readership of any paper would cancel their subs just because they were replaced.

But as I said its just my opinion. For instance I don't think Liberty Meadows fails...it fits a certain demographic and sometimes the humor isn't my cup of tea, but its wonderfully drawn and quirky at times. I have a friend that thinks Pooch Cafe is stupid, but it makes me laugh more often than not.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM

I am an Old Person, so for me Liberty Meadows is new and edgy.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Cathy: ACK! Or as I've seen it said on the CC site "Cathy must die".
I only get Cathy on Sundays, but I agree. Actually, a zombie Cathy strip might be slightly readable. Of course Romero has already done zombies at the mall.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:23 AM

There aren't enough good new strips out there, so I am glad that Calvin and Hobbes still runs in reruns - and Bloom County too. But I don't read Peanuts anymore. It was never really funny, but I have such great memories of the holiday specials, so I did read it for a while.