Grocery store pervert gets his due

So I was with my 8-month-old baby last night in the grocery store. (He falls asleep late like all of us). You know when someone is suddenly standing right next to you and you don’t see them until the last second? This guy was suddenly, with no warning, standing right next to me in produce. I think I jumped a little. Anyway, no big deal. Happens. He probably was looking at the fruit, not me. He was about 30-ish, nothing out of the ordinary about him, sort of sloppily dressed in a too much computer or TV-time/not enough exercise/no fashion sense kind of way if you know what I mean.

So anyway, about 5 or so minutes later, way in the middle of the store, suddenly there he was again, and it was the same thing – I didn’t see him until he was right there. That time I definitely jumped. I was mildly suspicious then. I mean, we could be just going through the store on the same sort of schedule, right? But how is he RIGHT next to me twice? Kind of weird. I assess my relative level of danger – low – I’m in a big well-lit grocery store, plenty of people still around, no purse (debit card in bra). I do have my baby in the cart – very protective of him, of course – but my hand is never off the cart or more than a few inches away while I grab something. In any case I leave that aisle quickly. I go about my business again.

Then I get to frozen foods and Healthy Choice meals are on sale for $1.88 each. A steal of a deal and I eat those things at work for lunch or when I’m starving and have not had time to cook. So I plan to get about 10 of them at that price. Suddenly here is pervert guy. The third time. I am very annoyed by now, because obviously he is following me and so the two times when he came up next to me unseen he did it on purpose. I notice now that he has no cart, no basket, and no products in his hand. Argh. Freaking pervert. He stands right next to me, in front of the door where the additional $1.88 meals are that I want. I wait for him to move, he doesn’t. He says, “Having a hard time making a decision?” I say, “Nope, just figuring it out…” but really I want to say, “Nope, just waiting for your sorry self to move.” I realize, OK, he’s not going to move, the idiot. There is enough space to step in front of him and open the freezer door, but I didn’t do it before he spoke because 1) it’s awkward to step right in front of someone who is standing and looking into the frozen food freezer and 2) I thought he would move – who just stands there? Obviously I need to just get in there and get my stuff and move on. I step in front of him, open the door and have a frozen meal in my hand when I feel strange hands down around my calves, grabbing and rubbing one and then the other leg. Auuuuuggghhhh!!! I whirl around, throw the Healthy Choice Steamer meal right at him, and it hits him right in the face, and I yell “Get the fuck away from me!” This was such an instant reaction that I was shocked but happy to realize I’d done it. Even now I feel disgusted and violated thinking about him rubbing my bare legs. He says, “I was just getting out of the way!” and looks at me all hurt. I say, mostly because I’m still mad, but also partly to explain myself, “This is the third time you’ve been right next to me, you scared me!” (As if I need to explain myself. I am such a bleeding heart it is pathetic. I actually am worried that I somehow misinterpreted the whole thing and he didn’t mean to…crouch down and rub my legs?!? For a minute I seriously considered finding him and apologizing. This is so ridiculous in retrospect…) His face gets all dark and angry and he walks away. He turns and yells, “Bitch!” Then he turns around and points at me and says, “Don’t EVER do that again. Don’t you ever do that again!!” (Umm…OK…don’t rub my legs again…it’s a deal…) I have the bagger walk me out. Thankfully my baby didn’t seem to notice the raised voices and angst. What a pervert. I’m really glad I hit him in the face.

Talk to the grocery store manager and see if they have the incident caught on security tape. You never know, that creep might shop there often and you want to shut him down right away if you can.

Wow, how awful, and I am glad you are safe. I’m thinking, maybe you should have called the police? Him grabbing your legs could be considered assault, and his angry statement “don’t ever do that again” sounds like it was meant as a threat. You are probably not the first person to be assaulted by this man, and probably won’t be the last. This guy could be a rape or murder waiting to happen. Maybe it should have been reported to the police?

I often go to the grocery store late at night, and try to look around and be aware of people around me, just to be cautious. I know I would have been seriously creeped out if this happened to me, especially if I had a baby with me!

You probably could have been more assertive earlier on and it wouldn’t have ever had to come to throwing the steamer meal in his face - but the incident sounds a lot more entertaining the way it actually happened. Brava!

You absolutely did the right thing. I’m surprised that people didn’t come around when you yelled at him.

Is it just possible he was a clueless store detective and had tagged you as a suspect?

Definitely raise it with the store.

While it’s good that you startled him, and maybe even scared him a bit, I don’t consider that he got his due. I think that you should have at least caused a bruise, and maybe even drawn blood, before he got all that was due to him.

And yeah, report it to the store and the cops. He’s probably done it before, and might do it again. I hope that you scared him enough that he’ll never even think of trying it again, though.

If he’s grabbing women’s legs, that goes beyond “clueless” and well into “lawsuit bait”, I’d think.

Not trying to hijack, and it definitely sounds like the guy was up to no good, but “(debit card in bra)”- is that a thing? Do women really stow items in there?

Yep, I do it all the time.
Seems safe, I know where it is, dont need to dig through the purse…
Do it all the time.

Besides, if I put something in my pocket I forget it’s there…

Your mistake is obvious. You were in frozen foods. Next time this happens, you need to be loading up on hot soup.

No, she just needs to upgrade from Healthy Choice frozen meals to Butterball turkey.

That is beyond creepy. I’d have done more than smack him with frozen food. I would have been damn near hysterical! I’d definitely go to the store manager. That shit would keep me up nights!

Advice from a (mandatory for all employees) sexual harassment class a few years back: grab the hand, hold it high, and announce that you found it on your leg then ask if anyone knows who it belongs to.

I’m a 41 year old guy, and from my perspective this is beyond creepy. I’m glad you had someone walk you to your car.

I agree with the other posters that have said to talk to the manager. They may have the incident on tape and this may be a pattern of behavior with this individual.

If it was me who was in your situation, I don’t know what I would have done. Most likely, I would have stuck real close to another shopper as a way to insulate myself or changed my shopping pattern so that I was never alone in an aisle.

You seem to have handled it well, although I am sure it was a shock to the system.

The first time I read through the OP, I missed the “hands on legs” part, and thought, “Well, Jeeze, if they started shopping at the same time from the same end of the store, OK, it’s not too surprising they’d be in the same locations at the same time”.

On re-reading, however, yeah, the guys a perv.

Let’s compromise. Frozen turkey soup.

I was going to suggest the family size lasagna, but yeah, some of the turkeys have a convenient loop to get a grip on.

I once had a guy grab my ass while we were standing on a crowded bus. I immediately turned around and screamed “Get your fucking hand off my ass, who the hell do you think you are doing that you fucking pervert?”

The bus driver stopped the bus and made the guy get off. The passengers cheered.