The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 07-15-2009, 12:39 PM

I'm sick! What can I eat/drink to settle my stomach?

So I woke up this morning to throw up out of both ends, thankfully with a minute or two break between them. It seems whenever I start to move around, I have to go throw-up again, as my most recent trip to the bathroom would suggest.

I've been drinking some water, and I think it's working okay this time, but is there anything else I can eat or drink to settle my stomach down (such as sodas or something?)
Advertisements  
Old 07-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I have heard that ginger ale (at least if it contains real ginger) and Coca-cola (I think we used to have a bottle of Coca-cola syrup in the medicine cabinet when I was a kid) are both good for settling an upset stomach.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Ginger ale. The ginger will calm your upset stomach, and the liquid will keep you hydrated.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

If the carbonation is too much for you, let it sit out and get a bit flat.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twickster View Post
If the carbonation is too much for you, let it sit out and get a bit flat.
Stirring it with a metal spoon will speed up that process.

And eat some Saltines.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:57 PM

There's actually ginger tea, which might be harder to get than ginger ale, but you don't have to deal with the sweetness or the carbonation. I drank it a lot in my first trimester and it really helped with the nausea. I also enjoy a nice plain saltine when I feel barfy. Bananas are supposed to help with diarrhea too, though that might be an old wives tale.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:07 PM

warm flat 7up
Old 07-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I'd actually say have a glass of Coca-Cola. Get a 2-liter and let your glass sit a bit before you drink it.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM

I just had an upset stomach episode last Monday, and on the advise of my mother I had chamomile and anise tea (manzanilla y anis in Spanish), and to my complete surprise it worked!

I don't know if I can post a link to a commercial site here, but just google Badia Chamomile and Anise Tea.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:16 PM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubystreak View Post
There's actually ginger tea... I drank it a lot in my first trimester and it really helped with the nausea. ...
First trimester!?!?!?!?!?! Did I miss an announcement? Congrats!
Old 07-15-2009, 01:18 PM

We did warm semi-flat 7-Up when I was a kid. My Latina wife claims it's the gringo version of lime-water. Near as I can tell, 97% of Hispanic home medicine revolves around the consumption of limes.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Bananas are supposed to help with diarrhea too, though that might be an old wives tale.
Bananas are good for nausea also. Not so much that they reduce it; but they taste good going down, and they taste good coming up.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Go Tribe!

Also, ginger gum is available if you truly can't eat anything.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:50 PM

In my recent experience, it's best not to worry about eating for a day or so. Just make sure you can keep enough water down that you are peeing regularly. You could try Pedialyte or Gatorade, too, but water is fine if we're only talking about a day or so.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink View Post
I have heard that ginger ale (at least if it contains real ginger) and Coca-cola (I think we used to have a bottle of Coca-cola syrup in the medicine cabinet when I was a kid) are both good for settling an upset stomach.
Is there real ginger in most ginger ale, though? Enough to have any sort of medicinal effect? I've always wondered if people who advocate drinking it aren't just fancying up 'ingest fluids.'
Old 07-15-2009, 02:28 PM

My personal regimen, regardless of whether I've eaten something of questionable origin or drank alcohol in questionable amounts:

1. Drink water. As cool or icy-cold or lukewarm as you like it. (It's a weird sensation to puke up cold water, though.)
Does it stay down? If yes, good, go to step 2. If not ... try again, as serious dehydration is no fun. (Signs of getting really dried out include twitchy or spasming muscles, like your hands and feet cramping up. At that point, you may need IV fluids if you really can't keep it down. But you're not that sick, are you?)

2. Drink something slightly more than water. Gatorade is a good one. Chamomile tea is popular - mint tea is another good choice. (Got a mint plant sitting around?) At this point I nibble on something like crackers or Saltines; dry Cheerios or Chex cereal are good, too, as is plain toast.
Did the crackers'n'Gatorade stay down? Go to step 3.

3. Move to semi-liquids. The default is chicken soup. I like those little Lipton packets with a coupla croutons thrown in, but Mr. Horseshoe's usual "I'm sick" remedy is Campbell's Homestyle chicken soup, made with millk if he's feeling really adventurous.

4. Take a nap. This is important - try not to skip this step if at all possible.

By the time you wake back up and drink another big cup of water, healing should occur.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:29 PM

Flat Ginger Ale; chamomille tea. Chamomille is also good when you feel like throwing up but can't: either it settles you or it gets you going and then settled; in any case, you'll be settled within 15 minutes.

Last edited by Nava; 07-15-2009 at 02:33 PM..
Old 07-15-2009, 02:33 PM

If your stomach is settled enough, I'd second or third small sips of Coca-Cola. I got some sort of barfing disease that only manifested itself while I was away on business in May. It was a bonus addition to my morning sickness. I indulged in some Coca-Cola because that was the only thing that sounded remotely good and, to my utter shock, it really helped soothe my innards.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:37 PM

Ginger ale. Or at least the name-brand stuff. Check the label, if it says it contains actual ginger (Seagram's I know does), then that'll do you. I know when I started on a new course of medication that made me miserably nauseous for the best part of a month, name-brand ginger ale was amazingly effective as an anti-nausea medication. I drank a whole lot of Seagrams. Mostly because it's sold in Coke machines (and happened to be the flavor of ginger ale on sale at my grocery store that month).

Also celery is good for preventing the barfing. And saltine crackers.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:08 PM

I once had this very bad illness with fever for two weeks. It was hell. Couldn't hold down anything, could stand the taste of most things. I lived on Gatorade. The flavor is so mild that it stayed down. I actually wrote them a letter afterwards, because I'm convinced that their product kept me out of the hospital. So, another recommendation for some nice, cool, yellow Gatorade.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
There's actually ginger tea, which might be harder to get than ginger ale, but you don't have to deal with the sweetness or the carbonation. I drank it a lot in my first trimester and it really helped with the nausea. I also enjoy a nice plain saltine when I feel barfy. Bananas are supposed to help with diarrhea too, though that might be an old wives tale.
Lipton's Ginger Twist Tea tastes great when you're well but is blissfully soothing if you're barfy, especially if it cools down a bit first.

As far as the bananas go, I've heard they can cause and cure constipation. I can't vouch for the veracity of this link, but it kinda explains how both can be true.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehorseshoe View Post
My personal regimen, regardless of whether I've eaten something of questionable origin or drank alcohol in questionable amounts:

1. Drink water. As cool or icy-cold or lukewarm as you like it. (It's a weird sensation to puke up cold water, though.)
Does it stay down? If yes, good, go to step 2. If not ... try again, as serious dehydration is no fun. (Signs of getting really dried out include twitchy or spasming muscles, like your hands and feet cramping up. At that point, you may need IV fluids if you really can't keep it down. But you're not that sick, are you?)

2. Drink something slightly more than water. Gatorade is a good one. Chamomile tea is popular - mint tea is another good choice. (Got a mint plant sitting around?) At this point I nibble on something like crackers or Saltines; dry Cheerios or Chex cereal are good, too, as is plain toast.
Did the crackers'n'Gatorade stay down? Go to step 3.

3. Move to semi-liquids. The default is chicken soup. I like those little Lipton packets with a coupla croutons thrown in, but Mr. Horseshoe's usual "I'm sick" remedy is Campbell's Homestyle chicken soup, made with millk if he's feeling really adventurous.

4. Take a nap. This is important - try not to skip this step if at all possible.

By the time you wake back up and drink another big cup of water, healing should occur.
Yes! Food won't settle a sick stomach. Only time will do that. But rehydration is essential, even if the water doesn't stay down for long.

More complex liquids & bland food can be tried as gradual tests--has the stomach settled down?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Stash Tea makes a lemon-ginger herb tea which I've found to be very soothing if you've got an upset stomach. Other than that, I go along with the previously suggested ginger-ale then saltines or dry toast routine.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 PM

Gotta be flat lemonade (7up/Sprite to you), and a piece of Vegemite toast

What?

As has been mentioned give the 7up/Sprite a stir with a spoon, will get it flat much quicker.

This is serious advise, I realise it may be hard to get hold of vegemite but this is the number #1 'under the weather' DIY remedy.

(I say DIY, because while Chicken soup is supposed to be very good, it's probably the last thing you want to do when you feel like crap.)
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM

Besides the ginger ale (I'm a Schweppe's snob myself, but anything will do if desperate) and/or Gatorade, nibble on something salty -- saltines, Ritz crackers, soup only if you're up to it.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Thanks all for the replies. I was able to have my roommate get me some Ginger Ale, which helped immensely. My stomach has settled down, but my joints are still sore all over. Do you think it'd be a bad idea to dry having some Tylenol? I don't want to piss my stomach off again!
Old 07-16-2009, 09:08 AM

I sometimes feel sore and achy all over when I've been sick - it's kind of a "washed-out" feeling. Personally, I think you're better off re-hydrating (that helps lubricate the joints) and leaving any potentially stomach-irritating tablets out of it for now, but that depends on your pain tolerance and how well you deal with Tylenol.

But if you DO take it, don't take it on an empty stomach. At least eat a cracker with the Tylenol.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Day 2: I feel much better--surprisingly so. Definitely not 100% though, as I still have a headache, and I still feel slightly "off," but otherwise, I'm amazed I've recovered this quickly. Thank god too, otherwise I'd be out $300 for the dirt bike camp I had booked this weekend.

Hopefully I'll feel perfect by then
Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Good to hear that you're feeling better.

Everyone has mentioned everything that my mom used to give us when we were sick, except for the popsicles. I assume they're just another way to keep kids hydrated. Does anyone have a comment about popsicles?
Old 07-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
My stomach has settled down, but my joints are still sore all over. Do you think it'd be a bad idea to dry having some Tylenol? I don't want to piss my stomach off again!
Tylenol (acetaminophen) would at least be easier on your stomach than ibuprofen or aspirin. You probably want to try the smallest dose first.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:45 PM

Man, I feel like I should be the king of this thread...IBS, gastritis, and just an overall weak stomach my whole damn life. (Incidentally, in addition to actually learning my lesson about binge drinking the FIRST time, Prilosec OTC and amitriptyline have been life savers.)

When I'm upchucking, particularly after it's been going on a while, I find that I crave 3 things: Gatorade, Coca-Cola, and 7-Up. Gatorade for the electrolytes, and because the flavor, as mentioned above, is mild enough to not make your tummy reject it outright. Coke and 7-Up are tougher to explain; those may be more comfortable than anything else, since it's an age-old home remedy, BUT I think it all boils down to sugar. I once realized that Emetrol, the OTC nausea medicine, is really just a thick sugar solution. And for me at least, Emetrol works.

Sadly, the night after my wedding, staying in the Presidential Suite of a beautiful Bed and Breakfast, my belly decided to go all stabby on me. Usually I pack lots of stomach medicine, just in case, often including phenergan (sp?) but because of the wedding I had nothing.

On one of many trips to the bathroom, I noticed the in-room coffee pot, which had, beside it, condiments for said coffee. I nabbed 3 sugar packets and as soon as I was still enough to not be completely nauseated, I downed them. It worked. The nausea went away for a while--long enough for the new wife to return with a stockpile of Coke, etc.

Popsicles are amazing, too. Keeps fluids going in, feels good on your usually parched mouth and throat, and limits you from chugging too much at one time.