The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
MPB in Salt Lake MPB in Salt Lake is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
Examples Of Actors Playing Best Friends, When In Real Life The Actors Hate Each Other

I remember when Bea Arthur died, someone said that she and Betty White couldnt stand each other in real life, despite playing close friends on "Golden Girls" for several seasons.............

I think that there was also bad blood between some of the "Star Trek" cast, but dont know the series enough to recall the details.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any other examples of actors who hate each other but are still convincing playing close friends on screen?

(any examples shared dont need to be blood fueds, just good stories of cast conflicts between actors who appear to be buddies in thier roles)
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 PM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
I've heard that Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth (Galina and Elphaba in the original cast of Wicked) hated each other.

Apparently there were feuds between Sarah Jessica Parker and Kim Cattrall on Sex and the City. Or, well, disagreements at least.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:09 PM
astorian astorian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
If married couples count, it's well documented that "Fred and Ethel Mertz" (William Frawley and Vivian Vance) from "I Love Lucy" couldn't stand each other.

And if lovers count, it's pretty well documented that Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd disliked each other.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Zsofia Zsofia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
I doubt they hate each other, but after the actors who play Chase and Cameron on House broke off their engagement, their characters
SPOILER:
got married
. That couldn't have been the most fun awesome thing ever.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Icerigger Icerigger is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: The Keystone State
Posts: 3,237
Jamie and Adam on Mythbusters, respect yes friendship no.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 PM
Freudian Slit Freudian Slit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
For couples--in Dirty Dancing, Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze couldn't stand each other.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 PM
astorian astorian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
And of course, there have been countless comedy teams or show biz acts in which the two partners detest each other, even as they act buddy-buddy on stage.

For that reason alone, it was refreshing when I heard Penn Jillette tell Larry King that, a big part of the reason for his successful relationship with Teller, is that they avoid each other completely when they're not working.

Oh, it's NOT that they hate each other. It's that, apart from magic, they have absolutely nothing in common. They have a blast working together, but aren't close friends and never have been.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
MPB in Salt Lake MPB in Salt Lake is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
All of these are great examples----I was just looking for any stories that Dopers may know of in this area, just because I thought it may be a entertaining little thread.................

Thanks, Matthew
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Ponch8 Ponch8 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,418
Erik Estrada and Larry Wilcox (Ponch and Jon, respectively) of CHiPs did not like each other. Jon left the show before the final season and got replaced by a couple of inferior actors who were supposed to be brothers on the show.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Kamino Neko Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
I think that there was also bad blood between some of the "Star Trek" cast, but dont know the series enough to recall the details.
Basically, nobody liked Shatner, because his ego was so big. Nimoy was particularly annoyed with him. They're apparently patched things up in recent years.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-27-2009, 04:30 PM
BrandonR BrandonR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
For that reason alone, it was refreshing when I heard Penn Jillette tell Larry King that, a big part of the reason for his successful relationship with Teller, is that they avoid each other completely when they're not working.

Oh, it's NOT that they hate each other. It's that, apart from magic, they have absolutely nothing in common. They have a blast working together, but aren't close friends and never have been.
I read basically the same thing in their Vegas show's souvenir booklet. They really do have polar opposite personalities. Penn is into the classic rock music, Teller is into classical. They do say their relationship has been successful because it's always been strictly business.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:07 PM
enomaj enomaj is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
i heard Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams didn't get along.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:12 PM
SciFiSam SciFiSam is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
David Duchovny really didn't get on with Gillian Anderson, by all accounts. Not hate, but definitely not friendly either.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:12 PM
notfrommensa notfrommensa is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by enomaj View Post
i heard Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams didn't get along.
that is pretty well documented, and I think that George and Weezy Jefferson did not like each other either.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:18 PM
TV time TV time is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Liz Taylor loathed Kim Novak, yet they played "friends" in the film 'The Mirror Crack'd".

In a road company I directed one year, the romantic leads ended up hating each other (they started out really liking each other). Apparently, they were literally eating raw garlic and onions before going on stage for love scenes. I had to threaten to dock their pay if it continued.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:30 PM
maplekiwi maplekiwi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
In NZ, former top sportsmen Matthew Ridge & Marc Ellis appear close mates & have a great rapport. In real life they rarely hang out together. Not hate - but not friends either.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:37 PM
KneadToKnow KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 23,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Basically, nobody liked Shatner, because his ego was so big. Nimoy was particularly annoyed with him. They're apparently patched things up in recent years.
There's an episode of The Larry Sanders Show where they've got The Shat on the speaker phone and they're trying to get him to say "Klingons," so they ask him who his biggest enemy on Star Trek was, and he says that he and De Kelley didn't get along so well.

I've always taken that as a joke (I've always heard that everyone got along with De), but it's a fun scene, because everybody gets all quiet and uncomfortable for a moment when he misunderstands the question.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM
BigT BigT is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
Basically, nobody liked Shatner, because his ego was so big. Nimoy was particularly annoyed with him. They're apparently patched things up in recent years.
So you read "I Am Spock" as well? It took a little bit of reading between the lines, since Nimoy was being so professional, but you could tell he really didn't like the guy.

And, of course, Wil Wheaton let us know about the rest of the cast. WFS, indeed.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM
RealityChuck RealityChuck is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Schenectady, NY, USA
Posts: 35,333
Lawrence Olivier had wanted Vivian Leigh to play the lead in Rebecca opposite him. When Joan Fontaine was cast, he got revenge by being deliberately cruel (including whispering obscenities during love scenes). Alfred Hitchcock knew about it, but liked how it affected Fontaine's performance.

Tony Curtis hated working with Marilyn Monroe in Some Like it Hot; famously, he said to her "kissing you is like kissing Hitler."

Humphrey Bogart disliked working with Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina -- he wanted Lauren Bacall -- mostly because she took too many takes. Bogart also strongly disliked William Holden, who played his brother.
__________________
Author of Staroamer's Fate and Syron's Fate, now back in print.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Kamino Neko Kamino Neko is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
So you read "I Am Spock" as well?
Actually, no, I'm basing it on stuff they've both said since they made up. (Judging from events surrounding his wedding, I don't think George Takei likes Shatner very much, even now.)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:09 PM
teela brown teela brown is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
I heard that John Goodman really hated Tom Arnold and how Tom Arnold could influence Roseanne so heavily.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 PM
voguevixen voguevixen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck View Post
Tony Curtis hated working with Marilyn Monroe in Some Like it Hot; famously, he said to her "kissing you is like kissing Hitler."
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I thought the same about Jimmy Stewart.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:45 PM
Earl Snake-Hips Tucker Earl Snake-Hips Tucker is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 12,531
Sorta in line with the OP. . .
Siskel & Ebert, while co-workers for many years, didn't particularly care for one another personally. . . at least so they said.

But that also makes me wonder about a lot of these relationships: These people are co-workers, but that doesn't mean that they're chummy IRL. I have co-workers that I have a great working relationship with, but I have no interest at all in spending any non-work time with them.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
Linty Fresh Linty Fresh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder starred in a lot of buddy movies together, but they were not friends. Apparently Pryor's constant drug use made him very hard to get along with.
__________________
Ein Buch muss die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns
--Franz Kafka
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 07-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Claire Beauchamp Claire Beauchamp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifisam2009 View Post
David Duchovny really didn't get on with Gillian Anderson, by all accounts. Not hate, but definitely not friendly either.
I know that's a common rumor but I don't think it's strictly true. I think the reality is that they have a complicated relationship. From what I've read & from interviews I've seen, they dated briefly as the series was getting started. They worked very long, grueling hours for 7 years plus a movie, and Gillian has been quoted as saying essentially that under those conditions it was like having a sibling -- ya love 'em, but being around them so much doing such tough work would wear on anyone's nerves. During the filming of the most recent movie they got along fine, and during the movie's premiere events there were some sightings/rumors/photos that made it seem the romance engines might have been revved back up. http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b675...le_Spied_.html
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 07-27-2009, 07:33 PM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 57,372
Sarah Michelle Gellar was reportedly disliked by all the other cast members on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Justin_Bailey Justin_Bailey is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Snake-Hips Tucker View Post
Sorta in line with the OP. . .
Siskel & Ebert, while co-workers for many years, didn't particularly care for one another personally. . . at least so they said.
While this was true at first, they did eventually become very close.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-27-2009, 07:46 PM
Covered_In_Bees! Covered_In_Bees! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Sarah Michelle Gellar was reportedly disliked by all the other cast members on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
At the risk of having my very long-running crush coming to an abrupt end, can you provide details as to why Sarah might not be agreeable?

I pray it's something small and forgivable so I can still marry her in a few years.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Justin_Bailey Justin_Bailey is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Covered_In_Bees! View Post
At the risk of having my very long-running crush coming to an abrupt end, can you provide details as to why Sarah might not be agreeable?
From what I've read, she's a bit of a diva. And apparently didn't realize that while her character's name was in the title, that it was actually an ensemble show.

This is especially interesting when you realize that she has had the worst post-Buffy career out of practically the entire cast. Except for maybe Xander, but he more or less retired and only acts sporadically nowadays.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-27-2009, 08:02 PM
Face Intentionally Left Blank Face Intentionally Left Blank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
And, of course, Wil Wheaton let us know about the rest of the cast. WFS, indeed.
Women for Sobriety? World Future Society? Web Feature Service?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Malleus, Incus, Stapes! Malleus, Incus, Stapes! is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
I heard Abbot and Costello didn't get along.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is online now
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: At the Diogenes Club
Posts: 47,167
I learned from the director's commentary on the Pride & Prejudice (2005) DVD that Rosamund Pike (Jane Bennet) and Simon Woods (Mr. Bingley) were cast as a pair of shy, blushing young lovers before the director realized that the actress and actor were a former couple, since broken up! They didn't hate each other, I guess, but it was clearly over. The director was quite impressed by their professionalism on set; if you see the film, you'd never guess they have a history together.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-27-2009, 08:37 PM
kunilou kunilou is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Posts: 17,337
The list of entertainment teams who didn't get along goes back to at least Cain and Abel.

Gilbert and Sullivan had a notoriously strained working relationship.

Dean Martin famously said his partnership with Jerry Lewis was the best thing that ever happened to him -- and breaking up the act was the second best.

Moe and Larry hated Joe Besser, and Besser didn't care for either of them.

Lou Costello was quoted as saying that, whatever their differences, Martin and Lewis should just suck it up and keep the act going -- just as he and Bud Abbott had done for years even though they didn't like each other.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Captain Amazing Captain Amazing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 23,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malleus, Incus, Stapes! View Post
I heard Abbot and Costello didn't get along.
They did at first, but the relationship got strained for a bunch of reasons, including Abbott's alcoholism (Costello's wife was an alcoholic, and Costello had come to hate alcohol and alcoholism), and disputes over salary...at the beginning of their career, it had been split 60%-40%, then 50%-50%, and finally 40% to Abbott and 60% to Costello, and that upset Abbott.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 PM
KneadToKnow KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 23,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Intentionally Left Blank View Post
Women for Sobriety? World Future Society? Web Feature Service?
William F&cking Shatner
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-27-2009, 09:12 PM
Face Intentionally Left Blank Face Intentionally Left Blank is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by KneadToKnow View Post
Thanks. I rarely remember to read Wil's work, but I always enjoy it. Good story, and a well-earned nickname for Mr Shatner.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Small Hen Small Hen is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Nemo View Post
Sarah Michelle Gellar was reportedly disliked by all the other cast members on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
She especially didn't get on well with Allison Hannigan, I understand.

Shannon Dohrghity (can't be arsed to look up the spelling) and Jason Lee loathed each other when they did Mallrats. Actually, I don't believe Shannon was liked by most anyone.

Last edited by Small Hen; 07-27-2009 at 09:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-27-2009, 09:40 PM
Markxxx Markxxx is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 14,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
Moe and Larry hated Joe Besser, and Besser didn't care for either of them.
From what I read, it was Moe who wasn't fond of Besser. And even then it wasn't hate. The studio had forced Besser on Moe because he was under contract. Joe wasn't happy playing it but was under contract. Larry was pretty much indifferent to anything and just showed up and got paid. I also read as it progressed Joe and Moe and Larry begain to like each other and once they accepted that they'd have to work together, got on OK.

A lot of transient fights later get patched up. Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada did not like each other toward the end, but today get along well.

Jane Curtain and Susan St James also had a lot of flack between them. But today they are friends again. St James and Curtain were friends before Kate & Allie.

Sames goes for Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams, today they get along well. But Cindy says in interviews today it was the fact that there was so much nepotism on Laverne & Shirley that she felt left out and that 'caused the friction.

Suzanne Sommers says she and Joyce DeWitt never got along at all. And when the contract disputes started up and she and John Ritter fell out, that hurt her. But she says that since she and DeWitt were never close she didn't care. Sommers and Ritter also made up later on and were friendly. Sommers replacement Priscilla Barnes and Joyce DeWitt went on to become best friends in real life.

Vivian Vance and William Frawley had their feud basically because Vance's contract was tied to his. Frawley had a bad reputation in Hollywood as a boozer and an a gambler (horse races and ball games). Frawley campaigned to Lucy directly for the role and Desi only agreed by saying that if there was ONE SINGLE SLIP UP, he'd be written out. Desi also made threats to see that he'd "never work again."

Vance was hired and this upset Lucy as Vance was only a few years older and not frumpy and ugly. Vance had it in her contract that if Frawley was written out for any reason she'd be let go too. She didn't like her future tied to Frawley's.

As it turned out Frawley (according to Desi) performed without a flaw and never was late or caused problems. But Frawley was only for the bucks. Vance would say "Most actors complain about not having enough lines. Bill would come in complaining about having too many, telling the writers to cut some out. All Bill wanted to do was say his lines and get to the race track." Vance also didn't like the fact Frawley only learned his part and often had no idea of what the script was about.

The biggest problem between the two came because even though I Love Lucy was a huge hit, neither Vance nor Frawley ever got much more than they started with. Lucy and Desi were well known for only paying scale.

Then CBS offered Frawley and Vance a spin-off of the Mertzes for a lot of money and Vance refused, saying she didn't like Frawley enough to do that. And after that it was all out war between the two.

I read in Stanley Livingstosn's autobiography (He played Ernie on My Three Sons which was filmed on DesiLu next to The Lucy Show, where Vance was playing Viv. Remember at this time Frawley was playing Bub on My Three Sons)

Livingston said Frawley would pay him money to make noise or throw things when Vance was saying her lines so she'd screw up. And Vance would give the kids candy and such to screw with Frawley. So those two really dislike each other.

I like Frawley's quote from the I Love Lucy book regarding Vance, "Kansas never produced a finer actress than Vivan Vance, but today I don't know where or what she's doing and we both like it that way"

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-27-2009, 09:52 PM
MPB in Salt Lake MPB in Salt Lake is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
Besides the long term colaborations like Lewis-Martin or Abbott-Costello, I wonder if when you work together for many years (cast of MASH or Cheers for example) you actually tend to forge real life friendships, simply due to being around each other for years at a strech, even if you werent particularly simpatico when you started working together. (I know this will not always be the case, but I can imagine it happens fairly often, just as people hang out with co-workers after work, even if they would not be friends in other circumstances)

I remember that Jack Klugman had nothing but praise for Tony Randall after Randall died, but said they were actually opposites in many ways during the "Odd Couple" and only became good friends in real life after working together for a while...............

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To me, what would be really interesting would be to find out that Alan Alda and Jamie Farr (as a made up example) hated each other despite working together for all those years.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
MPB in Salt Lake MPB in Salt Lake is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markxxx View Post
From what I read, it was Moe who wasn't fond of Besser. And even then it wasn't hate. The studio had forced Besser on Moe because he was under contract. Joe wasn't happy playing it but was under contract. Larry was pretty much indifferent to anything and just showed up and got paid. I also read as it progressed Joe and Moe and Larry begain to like each other and once they accepted that they'd have to work together, got on OK.

A lot of transient fights later get patched up. Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada did not like each other toward the end, but today get along well.

Jane Curtain and Susan St James also had a lot of flack between them. But today they are friends again. St James and Curtain were friends before Kate & Allie.

Sames goes for Penny Marshall and Cindy Williams, today they get along well. But Cindy says in interviews today it was the fact that there was so much nepotism on Laverne & Shirley that she felt left out and that 'caused the friction.

Suzanne Sommers says she and Joyce DeWitt never got along at all. And when the contract disputes started up and she and John Ritter fell out, that hurt her. But she says that since she and DeWitt were never close she didn't care. Sommers and Ritter also made up later on and were friendly. Sommers replacement Priscilla Barnes and Joyce DeWitt went on to become best friends in real life.

Vivian Vance and William Frawley had their feud basically because Vance's contract was tied to his. Frawley had a bad reputation in Hollywood as a boozer and an a gambler (horse races and ball games). Frawley campaigned to Lucy directly for the role and Desi only agreed by saying that if there was ONE SINGLE SLIP UP, he'd be written out. Desi also made threats to see that he'd "never work again."

Vance was hired and this upset Lucy as Vance was only a few years older and not frumpy and ugly. Vance had it in her contract that if Frawley was written out for any reason she'd be let go too. She didn't like her future tied to Frawley's.

As it turned out Frawley (according to Desi) performed without a flaw and never was late or caused problems. But Frawley was only for the bucks. Vance would say "Most actors complain about not having enough lines. Bill would come in complaining about having too many, telling the writers to cut some out. All Bill wanted to do was say his lines and get to the race track." Vance also didn't like the fact Frawley only learned his part and often had no idea of what the script was about.

The biggest problem between the two came because even though I Love Lucy was a huge hit, neither Vance nor Frawley ever got much more than they started with. Lucy and Desi were well known for only paying scale.

Then CBS offered Frawley and Vance a spin-off of the Mertzes for a lot of money and Vance refused, saying she didn't like Frawley enough to do that. And after that it was all out war between the two.

I read in Stanley Livingstosn's autobiography (He played Ernie on My Three Sons which was filmed on DesiLu next to The Lucy Show, where Vance was playing Viv. Remember at this time Frawley was playing Bub on My Three Sons)

Livingston said Frawley would pay him money to make noise or throw things when Vance was saying her lines so she'd screw up. And Vance would give the kids candy and such to screw with Frawley. So those two really dislike each other.

I like Frawley's quote from the I Love Lucy book regarding Vance, "Kansas never produced a finer actress than Vivan Vance, but today I don't know where or what she's doing and we both like it that way"

Thanks for the great post Marxxx---Very interesting!!!

As an aside, I read that Jane Curtain didnt get along with several of the other original "Saturday Night Live" cast members. (particularly John Belushi)
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Justin_Bailey Justin_Bailey is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPB in Salt Lake View Post
Besides the long term colaborations like Lewis-Martin or Abbott-Costello, I wonder if when you work together for many years (cast of MASH or Cheers for example) you actually tend to forge real life friendships, simply due to being around each other for years at a strech, even if you werent particularly simpatico when you started working together. (I know this will not always be the case, but I can imagine it happens fairly often, just as people hang out with co-workers after work, even if they would not be friends in other circumstances)
This happens a lot. Off the top of my head, I know the entire cast of Friends are very close... friends... in real life.

Also, the entire teenage cast of That 70s Show (except for Topher Grace) all hang out as well. Grace seems to be excluded because he's a) a bit of a nerd or b) not a complete tool. Take your pick.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-27-2009, 10:32 PM
KneadToKnow KneadToKnow is offline
Voodoo Adult (Slight Return)
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA
Posts: 23,845
I've never seen anything that would convince me that Stephanie Zimbalist and Pierce Brosnan would cross the street to say "hi" to each other. They're both consummate professionals, and speak highly of each other in all the special features on the Remington Steele DVDs, but it comes across as Very Polite.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-27-2009, 10:53 PM
astorian astorian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Sheriff Andy Taylor and his sweet Aunt Bee seemed to adore each other, but apparently things weren't as cozy between Andy Griffith and Frances Bavier.

I've heard numerous people say that Andy Griffith can be very difficult, but in this case, most observers put the blame on Bavier, who didn't seem to get along with ANYBODY on the Mayberry set. She was, of curse, the only former cast member who never took part in any reunions.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-27-2009, 11:09 PM
MPB in Salt Lake MPB in Salt Lake is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 4,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by astorian View Post
Sheriff Andy Taylor and his sweet Aunt Bee seemed to adore each other, but apparently things weren't as cozy between Andy Griffith and Frances Bavier.

I've heard numerous people say that Andy Griffith can be very difficult, but in this case, most observers put the blame on Bavier, who didn't seem to get along with ANYBODY on the Mayberry set. She was, of curse, the only former cast member who never took part in any reunions.
I think that just about every other Andy Griffith Show regular did a guest spot or two on "Matlock", which seems to indicate they must have all gotten along with Griffith to some degree.............
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Little Nemo Little Nemo is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Western New York
Posts: 57,372
Quote:
As an aside, I read that Jane Curtain didnt get along with several of the other original "Saturday Night Live" cast members. (particularly John Belushi)
I don't think she didn't get along with them. My understanding is that she just didn't socialize with them. There was something of a gonzo/frat boy mentality among the early cast. Curtain was a 28 year old woman who didn't do drugs and had recently gotten married - outside of doing comedy she didn't have all that much in common with her colleagues.

Last edited by Little Nemo; 07-28-2009 at 12:18 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 AM
cactus waltz cactus waltz is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
When I was a kid and Wayne's World 1 and 2 were popular, I read that Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were actually not friends on set. However, this was not from a trusted source and I haven't been able to confirm it.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 AM
Darryl Lict Darryl Lict is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
I heard that Mickey Rourke was a real dick to Kim Basinger during 9 1/2 weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-28-2009, 05:41 AM
Miss Mapp Miss Mapp is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 2,119
Bette Davis and Miriam Hopkins played close friends in love/hate relationships in 2 films, "The Old Maid," and "Old Acquaintance," but by all accounts they despised each other. Hopkins constantly tried to upstage Davis.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-28-2009, 06:18 AM
Rilchiam Rilchiam is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus waltz View Post
When I was a kid and Wayne's World 1 and 2 were popular, I read that Mike Myers and Dana Carvey were actually not friends on set. However, this was not from a trusted source and I haven't been able to confirm it.
I can't confirm what I'm about to say either, but I heard it a bit differently -- that Myers and Carvey did start out as friends. Why they're not on speaking terms now is because (again, AIUI) when Myers' ego started taking over the planet, Carvey took it more personally than did others who hadn't been close to Myers. Not implying that Carvey might have overreacted, but "They have the most power to hurt us, who we love."
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-28-2009, 07:02 AM
ColonelDax ColonelDax is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou View Post
The list of entertainment teams who didn't get along goes back to at least Cain and Abel.
It also includes Wilfrid Brambell and Harry Corbett, the stars of Steptoe and Son, the British television comedy that was remade in the U.S. as Sanford and Son.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.