Ask the beauty school student

I’m in my 4th month of beauty school. ask away

Why’re you in beauty school? You’re beautiful enough already.

Are you in general cosmetology classes? Or are you focusing on one aspect? (hair/make-up/nails?) Which do you like best?

This thread is interesting to me, I am starting Cosmetology school on October 1st.

What has been the biggest challenge for you, so far?

I know I am :smiley: but I’m going to school to make other people beautiful

I’m in general cosmetology but so far I like hair the best

I wish you the best of luck but one piece of advice I would give anyone going to a cosmetology school is you are not there to make friends so stay to yourself and out of the drama because most of the girls are stuck up

Are you learning how to do men’s hair as well? And if so, is there a big difference in how it is styled/treated/cut compared to women’s?

Have perm’s been outlawed yet?

Are you learning how to cut/style men’s hair that is ‘wavy’? Mine is, and its pretty much hit or miss to find someone who knows how to work with it…I’ll ask ‘do you know how to cut wavy hair’ - the answer is invariable ‘of course’.

But the results often say otherwise…

Ok, I have to ask, and please try not to take this the wrong way.

Many of my friends/family think that cosmetology school is for those girls that are too dumb to go to real college or university. Why are we/they wrong?

Are there any guys in your class? Are the effeminate?

Has anyone failed yet?

Have they covered the Big Bang theory yet in Cosmetology?

(Seriously, just wanted to say I love your user name.)

Are you at all tempted to quit just so you can tell people that you’re a beauty school dropout? :wink:

I’ve never been to cosmetology school. I graduated from an elite liberal arts college.

I sit in a cubicle all day and work for someone else. So do most of my former classmates.

When my bf’s daughter announced she was going to cosmetology school instead of college, he was horrified. But you know what? She works for herself (as an independent contractor in the owner’s salon). She has a portable skill. She can observe the operations of the salon with an eye to owning her own salon one day. She genuinely likes what she does.

If that’s being some kind of a loser, it doesn’t seem that bad.

Are you exposed to a lot of chemicals from perms, color, etc.? Is that a problem for you, and how do you minimize the exposure?

technically we are learning that but we haven’t had a chance to practice yet

no unfortunately

see my response to DMark

there are some girls in the school that are like that but mostly not, there is ALOT of medical stuff you have to learn so thats pretty difficult. There are several guys in the school and most of them are straight actually. I’m sure people have failed.

no Big Bang theory but thank you about the user name

not really, I jumped through alot of hoops to get financial aid

thank you for helping to clear that up

I am exposed to alot of chemicals but theres no way to minimize exposure, I just deal with it

What classes do you take?

I often cut my own hair, and I have no clue about technique. What are some major pieces of advice you could give me?

What pieces of knowledge have surprised you the most?

What if I just want to learn to cut hair, but not technically go to beauty school? How would I go about doing that? I don’t even necessarily need to “graduate” or finish school. I just want to be good enough to cut my husband or my kid’s hair.

What if I just want to learn to cut hair, but not technically go to beauty school? How would I go about doing that? I don’t even necessarily need to “graduate” or finish school. I just want to be good enough to cut my husband or my kid’s hair.

How much are your total costs of school with and without financial aid?

Have you done some weird stuff to your hair…like let the other students shave or dye it pink?

Where do students of your school typically work? Do most go to Fantastic Sams or go to high class hair places like Jose Eber?

Did you get a practice doll head?

When do you get to start cutting real people’s hair? I go to Marinello beauty college to get my hair cut and the students start cutting the heads of real people after like month 2 or 3. They give people a disount since the students are learning. Mostly old people on fixed incomes go there.

Do you have an understanding “cool” beauty teacher/instructor? The Marinello I go to has an old,loud,cranky lady who constantly nit picks and gets on the nerves of students. She comes by and touches the customers hair and tells everything that is wrong. That’s why I stopped going there.

Sorry I had to post again…The previous post wouldn’t accept my edit.

Heh. I was gonna ask how often you find yourself humming that song. :smiley:

Is there any way difference between the hair of various races or is that just something made up.

I’m not in cosmetology school, but that is certainly not made up.