The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 AM
joebuck20 joebuck20 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Who are some liberal country singers?

There's Steve Earle and Willie Nelson, who are pretty tied into liberal politics. Are there any other mainstream country acts who openly espouse "liberal values."
The thread in GD about the Dixie Chicks got me wondering about this. My theory is that the reason they were lambasted the way they were is because they were part of a genre that openly and jingoistically panders to conservative "values," and when they spoke out against Bush, their fans took as a repudiation of those values. As I recall there were quite a few rock artists who spoke out against the war and Bush early on, but didn't receive anywhere near the backlash the Dixie Chicks did.

Last edited by joebuck20; 09-06-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:16 AM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
My theory is that most country music fans are conservative. There, I said basically the same thing you did without insulting country music or its fans.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 AM
joebuck20 joebuck20 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
My theory is that most country music fans are conservative. There, I said basically the same thing you did without insulting country music or its fans.
I wasn't insulting anyone. I'm a country music fan myself, but I listen mostly to the old school outlaw stuff like George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, etc. I couldn't care less about their personal politics. For all I know they could all have been Rush Limbaugh-style conservatives, but if they were they were never really in your face about it.
What I was saying was that a lot of country fans took the Dixie Chicks fracas awfully personally.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 AM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
I wasn't insulting anyone.
Might wanna re-read your post.

"part of a genre that openly and jingoistically panders to conservative "values,"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 AM
DirkGntly DirkGntly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
There's Steve Earle and Willie Nelson, who are pretty tied into liberal politics. Are there any other mainstream country acts who openly espouse "liberal values."
The thread in GD about the Dixie Chicks got me wondering about this. My theory is that the reason they were lambasted the way they were is because they were part of a genre that openly and jingoistically panders to conservative "values," and when they spoke out against Bush, their fans took as a repudiation of those values. As I recall there were quite a few rock artists who spoke out against the war and Bush early on, but didn't receive anywhere near the backlash the Dixie Chicks did.
Look at what you wrote - "jingoistically panders"...and then "values" in quotes as if "conservative" and "value" are somehow mutually exclusive.
Make a note: if the singers/songwriters genuinely hold those views, it's not pandering...pandering would be Willie Nelson writing and singing a song aimed specifically at the flag-waving crowd, with the express purpose of making money.

On another note, I find your patronizing tone and smug deprecation of both conservatives and country musicians to be shallow and not particularly becoming of a poster on the Dope. Are you new, or something?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM
DirkGntly DirkGntly is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
I wasn't insulting anyone. I'm a country music fan myself, but I listen mostly to the old school outlaw stuff like George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, etc. I couldn't care less about their personal politics. For all I know they could all have been Rush Limbaugh-style conservatives, but if they were they were never really in your face about it.
What I was saying was that a lot of country fans took the Dixie Chicks fracas awfully personally.
If that was your intent, then your opening post should have stated such, without all of the negative filigree around it. Instead, your subsequent posts smack of the same tone as, "hey, I have lots of black friends!" that many folks use when accused of making a racist comment.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-06-2009, 11:09 AM
Bijou Drains Bijou Drains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Dolly Parton is liberal in some areas. People were saying she was gay and she said "I'm not gay, but what does it matter if I am?" Also when she hosted SNL she only had 1 request - no skits making fun of Jesus, she was OK with anything else.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 AM
drastic_quench drastic_quench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
a genre that openly and jingoistically panders to conservative "values,"
Yeah, you guys are right. He was way off base.
http://i25.tinypic.com/33oh5eh.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 AM
BrainGlutton BrainGlutton is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
K.D. Lang is an open lesbian, vegetarian and animal-rights activist; but, being Canadian, I guess she doesn't really count.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Yeah, you guys are right. He was way off base.
http://i25.tinypic.com/33oh5eh.jpg
Yes, he was, despite your cherry-picking attempt to prove otherwise. Hell, even Neil fucking Young wrote a combatively worded song after 9-11, but I don't see anyone calling rock music jingoistic.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Darth Sensitive Darth Sensitive is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
I believe that Toby Kieth is a registered Democrat, though one from the Texas/Oklahoma strain of the party.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-06-2009, 12:48 PM
drastic_quench drastic_quench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
I raise you Hank Williams Jr.'s jersey-clad ode to the "McCain-Palin tradition".

Hell, if I keep piecemealing examples, and I'm not going to run short anytime soon, we'll get this thread up to a thousand posts.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-06-2009, 01:20 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
I raise you Hank Williams Jr.'s jersey-clad ode to the "McCain-Palin tradition".

Hell, if I keep piecemealing examples, and I'm not going to run short anytime soon, we'll get this thread up to a thousand posts.
And supporting McCain is jingoistic in your very humble opinion?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-06-2009, 01:21 PM
C. Montgomery Burns C. Montgomery Burns is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are both Democrats, how liberal they are I don't know. I've read somewhere that Pam Tillis is a politically active liberal. Ralph Stanley supported John Edwards in the last presidential race, and when he bowed out, Stanley threw his support to Obama. Kris Kristofferson has shown support for left wing causes.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-06-2009, 01:32 PM
running coach running coach is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Riding my handcycle
Posts: 15,478
I listen to country music at times but not enough to know many of the artists but there is a segment of social awareness/fight injustice/protest type of songs. Similar to much of the folk music of the 60's.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
drastic_quench drastic_quench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
And supporting McCain is jingoistic in your very humble opinion?
Yeah. He's A-Okay with ridiculously long-term military occupation of sovereign nations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFknKVjuyNk
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/14/mccain.king/
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-06-2009, 02:56 PM
The Other Jeffrey Lebowski The Other Jeffrey Lebowski is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
John Prine.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 PM
runcible spoon runcible spoon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
John Prine is a country singer? I'd call that folk, myself, although it's a fuzzy line, to be sure.

I suspect that whichever member of Diamond Rio wrote "The Box" is liberal, at least in some sense of the word.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Yeah. He's A-Okay with ridiculously long-term military occupation of sovereign nations.
As opposed to Obama who...oh, wait.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-06-2009, 03:53 PM
silenus silenus is online now
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 40,751
Kinky Friedman
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
The Other Jeffrey Lebowski The Other Jeffrey Lebowski is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible spoon View Post
John Prine is a country singer? I'd call that folk, myself, although it's a fuzzy line, to be sure.
No, he's not strictly a country singer, and it is indeed a stretch to classify him as one; there are similar elements of style, musically, though.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 PM
drastic_quench drastic_quench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
As opposed to Obama who...oh, wait.
Irrelevant, off topic, and incorrect.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Irrelevant, off topic, and incorrect.
Nope. Relevant, on topic and correct.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-06-2009, 06:18 PM
drastic_quench drastic_quench is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
*fingers in ears*
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-06-2009, 06:32 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
*fingers in ears*
How are you typing with your fingers in your ears?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Le Ministre de l'au-delà Le Ministre de l'au-delà is offline
21st Century Troubadour
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seaton Village
Posts: 6,680
Loudon Wainwright. Might be a stretch for the same sort of reason that John Prine is, but still, worth a shot.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 10,549
Wasn't Toby Keith's problem with the Dixie Chicks rooted not in the fact that they stated a political opinion contrary to his, but rather the fact that they elected to state it on foreign soil to a foreign audience?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Ogre Ogre is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
I believe that Toby Kieth is a registered Democrat, though one from the Texas/Oklahoma strain of the party.
Yes, but hardly liberal. He recently got his ass chewed off by Kris Kristofferson for telling Kris not to perform "that lefty shit".
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Yes, but hardly liberal. He recently got his ass chewed off by Kris Kristofferson for telling Kris not to perform "that lefty shit".
I am so sure that Kris' "ass chewing" scared the shit out of Toby Keith.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Ogre Ogre is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
If Keith had any fucking shame, it would, since Kristofferson is 1) a better musician than Toby Keith will ever be, and 2) a veteran.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 23,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
I am so sure that Kris' "ass chewing" scared the shit out of Toby Keith.
Sometimes you have to listen to your "dad" even after you can beat him up, though a pretty soft former semi-pro football player vs an older guy who was a rugger and a Ranger would be an interesting fight.

Last edited by dropzone; 09-06-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
If Keith had any fucking shame, it would, since Kristofferson is 1) a better musician than Toby Keith will ever be, and 2) a veteran.
1) is an opinion...I personally never liked either of them. 2) is irrelevant to the question.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Sometimes you have to listen to your "dad" even after you can beat him up, though a pretty soft former semi-pro football player vs an older guy who was a rugger and a Ranger would be an interesting fight.
Somehow I don't think Toby Keith thinks of Kris Kristofferson as his father or even a father figure.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Ogre Ogre is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
1) is an opinion...I personally never liked either of them. 2) is irrelevant to the question.
Kristofferson's amount of life experience, especially including his time as a Ranger and Army pilot, and as a legendary performer and songwriter, bears directly on his qualifications to tell a half-assed Hat Act like Toby Keith to shut the fuck up.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Mister Rik Mister Rik is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The bunghole of WA
Posts: 10,549
Was the "ass-chewin'" delivered off-key?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:47 PM
dropzone dropzone is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Posts: 23,048
Well, DUH! But perfectly phrased.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 PM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Kristofferson's amount of life experience, especially including his time as a Ranger and Army pilot, and as a legendary performer and songwriter, bears directly on his qualifications to tell a half-assed Hat Act like Toby Keith to shut the fuck up.
No, actually they don't. An 80 year old bum who never worked a day in his life and beat his kids has 80 years of life experience, but it doesn't qualify him to give much in the way of advice about life.
His experience in the Army is admirable and I appreciate his service, but serving in the military doesn't make you more correct about politics. If it did, Hitler wouldn't have been a dictator and Lee Harvey Oswald wouldn't have been a Communist and a presidential assassin.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:53 PM
Ogre Ogre is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
No, actually they don't. An 80 year old bum who never worked a day in his life and beat his kids has 80 years of life experience, but it doesn't qualify him to give much in the way of advice about life.
His experience in the Army is admirable and I appreciate his service, but serving in the military doesn't make you more correct about politics. If it did, Hitler wouldn't have been a dictator and Lee Harvey Oswald wouldn't have been a Communist and a presidential assassin.
Pedantry. Kris Kristofferson has always had valuable, insightful things to say about politics. He was also a Rhodes Scholar, by the way, and earned a scholarship to Oxford University. For political discussion, I'll take those qualifications over Toby Keith's years of semi-pro football and oil-derrick experience any day.

Why wouldn't I?
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-06-2009, 08:54 PM
silenus silenus is online now
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SoCal
Posts: 40,751
Toby Keith's restaurant is better, though.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-06-2009, 09:11 PM
Chimera Chimera is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In the Dreaming
Posts: 15,056
So....

Total derail, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 PM
Ogre Ogre is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Pretty much, but here you go: Kris Kristofferson can be described as a liberal country singer.

Better?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-06-2009, 09:16 PM
BKReporter BKReporter is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Was the "ass-chewin'" delivered off-key?
I laughed.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 09-07-2009, 06:12 AM
RikWriter RikWriter is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Pedantry. Kris Kristofferson has always had valuable, insightful things to say about politics.
That's your opinion. I hope you're open minded enough to understand that others disagree with it.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 AM
Uosdwis R. Dewoh Uosdwis R. Dewoh is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
How are you typing with your fingers in your ears?
Nose?
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 AM
twickster twickster is online now
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 38,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Irrelevant, off topic, and incorrect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
Nope. Relevant, on topic and correct.
Both of you knock it off, now. If you want to argue politics, go to GD or the Pit.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 AM
bup bup is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
I was going to guess Lyle Lovett, but I bothered to do some actual research and it looks like he's a quiet Republican.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-07-2009, 11:16 AM
Elendil's Heir Elendil's Heir is offline
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: At the Diogenes Club
Posts: 48,288
Garth Brooks is kind of a lefty. See "We Shall Be Free" (http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/b...free-5048.html), a good gospel-tinged song which unfortunately had a hard time getting airplay (http://articles.latimes.com/1992-10-..._country-music).

The same discussion in another forum: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4153623AAJg9BY
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Spice Weasel Spice Weasel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Garth Brooks is kind of a lefty. See "We Shall Be Free" (http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/b...free-5048.html), a good gospel-tinged song which unfortunately had a hard time getting airplay (http://articles.latimes.com/1992-10-..._country-music).

The same discussion in another forum: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4153623AAJg9BY
I wanted to mention him, but I would keep the classification as ''kind of'' lefty, because there are hints of conservativism in his songs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Honky Tonk Bar Association
When Uncle Sam dips in your pocket
For most things you don't mind
But when your dollar goes to all of those
Standin' in a welfare line
Rejoice you have a voice
If you're concerned about the destination
Of this great nation
What's more conservative than bitching about your tax money going to poor people? Maybe he's a moderate. Either way I love him.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 AM
Beware of Doug Beware of Doug is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Outside of god-bothering and military rah-rah, isn't most country lyric matter more libertarian than conservative?
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 PM
Invisible Chimp Invisible Chimp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.