The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 09-06-2009, 09:45 AM

Who are some liberal country singers?

There's Steve Earle and Willie Nelson, who are pretty tied into liberal politics. Are there any other mainstream country acts who openly espouse "liberal values."
The thread in GD about the Dixie Chicks got me wondering about this. My theory is that the reason they were lambasted the way they were is because they were part of a genre that openly and jingoistically panders to conservative "values," and when they spoke out against Bush, their fans took as a repudiation of those values. As I recall there were quite a few rock artists who spoke out against the war and Bush early on, but didn't receive anywhere near the backlash the Dixie Chicks did.

Last edited by joebuck20; 09-06-2009 at 09:46 AM..
Advertisements  
Old 09-06-2009, 10:16 AM

My theory is that most country music fans are conservative. There, I said basically the same thing you did without insulting country music or its fans.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikWriter View Post
My theory is that most country music fans are conservative. There, I said basically the same thing you did without insulting country music or its fans.
I wasn't insulting anyone. I'm a country music fan myself, but I listen mostly to the old school outlaw stuff like George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, etc. I couldn't care less about their personal politics. For all I know they could all have been Rush Limbaugh-style conservatives, but if they were they were never really in your face about it.
What I was saying was that a lot of country fans took the Dixie Chicks fracas awfully personally.
Old 09-06-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck20 View Post
I wasn't insulting anyone.
Might wanna re-read your post.

"part of a genre that openly and jingoistically panders to conservative "values,"
Old 09-06-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
There's Steve Earle and Willie Nelson, who are pretty tied into liberal politics. Are there any other mainstream country acts who openly espouse "liberal values."
The thread in GD about the Dixie Chicks got me wondering about this. My theory is that the reason they were lambasted the way they were is because they were part of a genre that openly and jingoistically panders to conservative "values," and when they spoke out against Bush, their fans took as a repudiation of those values. As I recall there were quite a few rock artists who spoke out against the war and Bush early on, but didn't receive anywhere near the backlash the Dixie Chicks did.
Look at what you wrote - "jingoistically panders"...and then "values" in quotes as if "conservative" and "value" are somehow mutually exclusive.
Make a note: if the singers/songwriters genuinely hold those views, it's not pandering...pandering would be Willie Nelson writing and singing a song aimed specifically at the flag-waving crowd, with the express purpose of making money.

On another note, I find your patronizing tone and smug deprecation of both conservatives and country musicians to be shallow and not particularly becoming of a poster on the Dope. Are you new, or something?
Old 09-06-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I wasn't insulting anyone. I'm a country music fan myself, but I listen mostly to the old school outlaw stuff like George Jones, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash, etc. I couldn't care less about their personal politics. For all I know they could all have been Rush Limbaugh-style conservatives, but if they were they were never really in your face about it.
What I was saying was that a lot of country fans took the Dixie Chicks fracas awfully personally.
If that was your intent, then your opening post should have stated such, without all of the negative filigree around it. Instead, your subsequent posts smack of the same tone as, "hey, I have lots of black friends!" that many folks use when accused of making a racist comment.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Dolly Parton is liberal in some areas. People were saying she was gay and she said "I'm not gay, but what does it matter if I am?" Also when she hosted SNL she only had 1 request - no skits making fun of Jesus, she was OK with anything else.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
a genre that openly and jingoistically panders to conservative "values,"
Yeah, you guys are right. He was way off base.
http://i25.tinypic.com/33oh5eh.jpg
Old 09-06-2009, 11:40 AM

K.D. Lang is an open lesbian, vegetarian and animal-rights activist; but, being Canadian, I guess she doesn't really count.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
Yeah, you guys are right. He was way off base.
http://i25.tinypic.com/33oh5eh.jpg
Yes, he was, despite your cherry-picking attempt to prove otherwise. Hell, even Neil fucking Young wrote a combatively worded song after 9-11, but I don't see anyone calling rock music jingoistic.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:44 AM

I believe that Toby Kieth is a registered Democrat, though one from the Texas/Oklahoma strain of the party.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:48 PM

I raise you Hank Williams Jr.'s jersey-clad ode to the "McCain-Palin tradition".

Hell, if I keep piecemealing examples, and I'm not going to run short anytime soon, we'll get this thread up to a thousand posts.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
I raise you Hank Williams Jr.'s jersey-clad ode to the "McCain-Palin tradition".

Hell, if I keep piecemealing examples, and I'm not going to run short anytime soon, we'll get this thread up to a thousand posts.
And supporting McCain is jingoistic in your very humble opinion?
Old 09-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are both Democrats, how liberal they are I don't know. I've read somewhere that Pam Tillis is a politically active liberal. Ralph Stanley supported John Edwards in the last presidential race, and when he bowed out, Stanley threw his support to Obama. Kris Kristofferson has shown support for left wing causes.
Old 09-06-2009, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

I listen to country music at times but not enough to know many of the artists but there is a segment of social awareness/fight injustice/protest type of songs. Similar to much of the folk music of the 60's.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
And supporting McCain is jingoistic in your very humble opinion?
Yeah. He's A-Okay with ridiculously long-term military occupation of sovereign nations.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFknKVjuyNk
http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/02/14/mccain.king/
Old 09-06-2009, 02:56 PM

John Prine.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
John Prine is a country singer? I'd call that folk, myself, although it's a fuzzy line, to be sure.

I suspect that whichever member of Diamond Rio wrote "The Box" is liberal, at least in some sense of the word.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Yeah. He's A-Okay with ridiculously long-term military occupation of sovereign nations.
As opposed to Obama who...oh, wait.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:53 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Kinky Friedman
Old 09-06-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible spoon View Post
John Prine is a country singer? I'd call that folk, myself, although it's a fuzzy line, to be sure.
No, he's not strictly a country singer, and it is indeed a stretch to classify him as one; there are similar elements of style, musically, though.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
As opposed to Obama who...oh, wait.
Irrelevant, off topic, and incorrect.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Nope. Relevant, on topic and correct.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:18 PM

*fingers in ears*
Old 09-06-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
*fingers in ears*
How are you typing with your fingers in your ears?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:43 PM
21st Century Troubadour

Loudon Wainwright. Might be a stretch for the same sort of reason that John Prine is, but still, worth a shot.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Wasn't Toby Keith's problem with the Dixie Chicks rooted not in the fact that they stated a political opinion contrary to his, but rather the fact that they elected to state it on foreign soil to a foreign audience?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sensitive View Post
I believe that Toby Kieth is a registered Democrat, though one from the Texas/Oklahoma strain of the party.
Yes, but hardly liberal. He recently got his ass chewed off by Kris Kristofferson for telling Kris not to perform "that lefty shit".
Old 09-06-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
Yes, but hardly liberal. He recently got his ass chewed off by Kris Kristofferson for telling Kris not to perform "that lefty shit".
I am so sure that Kris' "ass chewing" scared the shit out of Toby Keith.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:32 PM

If Keith had any fucking shame, it would, since Kristofferson is 1) a better musician than Toby Keith will ever be, and 2) a veteran.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am so sure that Kris' "ass chewing" scared the shit out of Toby Keith.
Sometimes you have to listen to your "dad" even after you can beat him up, though a pretty soft former semi-pro football player vs an older guy who was a rugger and a Ranger would be an interesting fight.

Last edited by dropzone; 09-06-2009 at 08:35 PM..
Old 09-06-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
If Keith had any fucking shame, it would, since Kristofferson is 1) a better musician than Toby Keith will ever be, and 2) a veteran.
1) is an opinion...I personally never liked either of them. 2) is irrelevant to the question.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dropzone View Post
Sometimes you have to listen to your "dad" even after you can beat him up, though a pretty soft former semi-pro football player vs an older guy who was a rugger and a Ranger would be an interesting fight.
Somehow I don't think Toby Keith thinks of Kris Kristofferson as his father or even a father figure.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
1) is an opinion...I personally never liked either of them. 2) is irrelevant to the question.
Kristofferson's amount of life experience, especially including his time as a Ranger and Army pilot, and as a legendary performer and songwriter, bears directly on his qualifications to tell a half-assed Hat Act like Toby Keith to shut the fuck up.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Was the "ass-chewin'" delivered off-key?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Charter Member

Well, DUH! But perfectly phrased.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Kristofferson's amount of life experience, especially including his time as a Ranger and Army pilot, and as a legendary performer and songwriter, bears directly on his qualifications to tell a half-assed Hat Act like Toby Keith to shut the fuck up.
No, actually they don't. An 80 year old bum who never worked a day in his life and beat his kids has 80 years of life experience, but it doesn't qualify him to give much in the way of advice about life.
His experience in the Army is admirable and I appreciate his service, but serving in the military doesn't make you more correct about politics. If it did, Hitler wouldn't have been a dictator and Lee Harvey Oswald wouldn't have been a Communist and a presidential assassin.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
No, actually they don't. An 80 year old bum who never worked a day in his life and beat his kids has 80 years of life experience, but it doesn't qualify him to give much in the way of advice about life.
His experience in the Army is admirable and I appreciate his service, but serving in the military doesn't make you more correct about politics. If it did, Hitler wouldn't have been a dictator and Lee Harvey Oswald wouldn't have been a Communist and a presidential assassin.
Pedantry. Kris Kristofferson has always had valuable, insightful things to say about politics. He was also a Rhodes Scholar, by the way, and earned a scholarship to Oxford University. For political discussion, I'll take those qualifications over Toby Keith's years of semi-pro football and oil-derrick experience any day.

Why wouldn't I?
Old 09-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Toby Keith's restaurant is better, though.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:11 PM

So....

Total derail, eh?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:15 PM

Pretty much, but here you go: Kris Kristofferson can be described as a liberal country singer.

Better?
Old 09-06-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Rik View Post
Was the "ass-chewin'" delivered off-key?
I laughed.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Pedantry. Kris Kristofferson has always had valuable, insightful things to say about politics.
That's your opinion. I hope you're open minded enough to understand that others disagree with it.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:00 AM

Quote:
How are you typing with your fingers in your ears?
Nose?
Old 09-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space

Quote:
Quote:
Nope. Relevant, on topic and correct.
Both of you knock it off, now. If you want to argue politics, go to GD or the Pit.

twickster, Cafe Society moderator
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 AM

I was going to guess Lyle Lovett, but I bothered to do some actual research and it looks like he's a quiet Republican.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:16 AM
SDSAB

Garth Brooks is kind of a lefty. See "We Shall Be Free" (http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/b...free-5048.html), a good gospel-tinged song which unfortunately had a hard time getting airplay (http://articles.latimes.com/1992-10-..._country-music).

The same discussion in another forum: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4153623AAJg9BY
Old 09-07-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendil's Heir View Post
Garth Brooks is kind of a lefty. See "We Shall Be Free" (http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/b...free-5048.html), a good gospel-tinged song which unfortunately had a hard time getting airplay (http://articles.latimes.com/1992-10-..._country-music).

The same discussion in another forum: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4153623AAJg9BY
I wanted to mention him, but I would keep the classification as ''kind of'' lefty, because there are hints of conservativism in his songs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Honky Tonk Bar Association
When Uncle Sam dips in your pocket
For most things you don't mind
But when your dollar goes to all of those
Standin' in a welfare line
Rejoice you have a voice
If you're concerned about the destination
Of this great nation
What's more conservative than bitching about your tax money going to poor people? Maybe he's a moderate. Either way I love him.
Old 09-07-2009, 11:58 AM

Outside of god-bothering and military rah-rah, isn't most country lyric matter more libertarian than conservative?
Old 09-07-2009, 12:43 PM

Emmylou Harris and Willie Nelson.