Is Garlic Toxic?

I recently came across an article by “Dr. Bob C. Beck” about the dangers of garlic as a brain toxin etc. and I was wondering if there was any validity to it. I know that people that practice Ayurveda do not consume garlic or onions. Here is an example of the Beck article that has been circulating:

http://www.relfe.com/health_benefits_of_garlic.html

So besides causing gas, can the consumption of garlic have adverse health effects?

Didn’t you read? It desynchronizes your brainwaves! I want my brainwaves synchronized at all times.

There was no point in reading further.

But people have been eating garlic with no ill effects for centuries, and there’s plenty of evidence that garlic has some health benefits.

If you don’t mind desynchronous brainwaves, the silent killer.

Perhaps you should check the validity of “Dr. Bob C. Beck” by reviewing the links on the page you provided.

Hmmm. The OP only has only the one post. I wonder if Spam is toxic.

Well, it might kill horses

Garlic’s got excellent disease-fighting properties. Consume enough of it and you’ll never catch another communicable disease.

(or a date, or a job…) :wink:

I’d hope so. I wouldn’t want to eat a lunch that looked clinically alive, thank you very much.

I think that was just the first link that came up when I typed in “garlic toxic” into google, I can’t find the original place I read this article but the content is the same. Clearly the idea of “desynchronizing brainwaves” is ridiculous but the only reason I gave this a second glance is because I found other sites that explain, for instance, why Taoists don’t consume garlic which is because garlic increases perspiration, agitation, anxiety and aggressiveness to name a few. It seems that there are several branches of homeopathy that recommend omitting garlic and onions from the diet as well. Clearly millions of people (including myself) eat garlic daily and are still alive but I’m wondering could there be any benefits to leaving it out of my diet?

Yeah. You would no longer have garlic breath.

I’m a little disappointed that I am only receiving sardonic replies to this post. Probably because the original article is so ludicrous but it would be nice if someone could actually help me answer this. I know how crazy it sounds but Yogis do not eat garlic and group it with other tamasic foods that they believe are harmful to the mind/body. Other foods in this group are meat, alcohol and tobacco. I’m just hoping that someone who has an actual answer for me replies.

Yogis? Who knows. They live in a pre-scientific world and their conclusions arent logical. So asking why is like asking how many angels can dance on a pinhead. Perhaps you should be asking on a Hindi or trantic board. What were you expecting, “Ah yes, the 8th chakra responds to garlic emissions and its a potent vampire repellent!!” Considering youre linking to a site that mentions brain wave synchronization perhaps a few sardonic replies is getting off easy.

In reality garlic is just fine. It wont hurt you. It may even have some minor health benefits.

Thats kind of a sweeping generalization about people who practice yoga but I’ll ignore that; I wasn’t looking for an illogical answer as you are implying. I was looking for someone who can descriptively tell me why certain people do not eat garlic…why you feel the need to be rude and condescending wasn’t really part of my question. Also, Hindi is a language and “trantric” is not a word so finding answers on those message boards might be difficult. Are you really claiming to be fighting ignorance right now?

Ultimately, the answer is “no.” Garlic is not toxic.* It does have some proven health benefits.

Some people may choose not to eat it, but that’s not based upon any scientific knowledge. People refrain from eating all sorts of foods for all sorts of illogical reasons – except for rationalization.

*under normal circumstances. I suppose if you mainlined the active ingredient of garlic in doses a thousand times larger than what you usually get, it could cause problems.

By definition, too much garlic is bad for you. That’s what “too much” means. Exactly how much is too much, I have no idea.

One case report details how main-lining garlic resulted in the rare occurrence of a spontaneous spinal epidural haematoma due to the effect of garlic on platelet aggregation, so despite several potential health benefits it’s best to consume <4 cloves per day (2000mg).

As usual, the answer to your question is contained within the question.

I’d cock an eyebrow at ay conclusions derived from what problems garlic casues in an 87 year old man. That he got to 87 while eating 4 cloves of raw garlic a day makes me think I’ll take my chances.

Hare Krishnas don’t eat garlic and onions because they believe they are offensive to their god (if I’m remembering that right - it’s been quite awhile since I spoke with Hare Krishnas about their cooking and theology). Since there seems to a common link in several of the examples given so far called “India” this might be originally from a religious prohibition.

The Straight Dope Message Board has proved to be an uninviting place for new users…so besides learning that garlic is not toxic in reasonable amounts, I have ALSO learned that people feel more intelligent when they can give pithy responses to seemingly absurd questions…Thank you to those who actually tried to answer my question :slight_smile:

Cite that garlic does any of those things?

In most of Europe, garlic has long been regarded as a health food. Vitamin C, orange juice, and chicken soup are held in much the same esteem today. It’s because garlic is such a powerful symbol of health and life that it repels vampires. I’m not being snarky here, that’s the reason for the association between vampires (symbols of death, disease and decay) and garlic. Going by European folklore and pharmacopia, you should eat MORE garlic.