The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Hunnerts or thousands...? (INCL COMMENTS BY CECIL)

A little back ground: I was born in Chicago, as was my mom, her parents, their parents, etc...

So, I got into a discussion with some coworkers and said something about Armitage being "twenty hundred north" at which the conversation came to an abrupt halt. They maintainted that the streets divisible by 1000 were properly called "thousands" as in "Armitage is two thousand north"

I think this is ridiculous because no one calls Division "one thousand, two hundred north", so why would you call Oak "one thousand north"?

I realize that there's no real right answer, and that consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, but in this case, like others, I think there is a way that is more authentically Chicago.

What say you all?
Advertisements  
Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 AM

I agree with you; streets in Chicago are NEVER measured in thousands. Yes, it does sound a tad jarring to suburbanites and other foreigners, and the mathematician in me rebels a bit, but my three generations of Chicago heritage know that it is the proper way.

I also applaud your proper spelling and (one assumes) pronunciation of "hunnert"......TRM (twenty one hunnert north, eight hunnert west)
Old 10-26-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I also applaud your proper spelling and (one assumes) pronunciation of "hunnert"......TRM (twenty one hunnert north, eight hunnert west)
I suppose I could've titled the thread "hunnerts and tao-zins", but I'm not sure many would've known what I meant...until they said it outloud.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

Agreed, Touhy is 72-hunnert north. Fer shure.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

Cecil has responded to this one: http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20091105.php
Congrats, Dr Pangloss!

Last edited by C K Dexter Haven; 11-06-2009 at 06:59 AM..
Old 11-08-2009, 03:08 PM

To conduct a proper survey, you must first find out how the responder pronounces Chicago. Since I pronounce it, the proper way, with an 'i' as in if, and an 'a' as in awe, the answer is Armitage is twenty two hundred north.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisus View Post
To conduct a proper survey, you must first find out how the responder pronounces Chicago. Since I pronounce it, the proper way, with an 'i' as in if, and an 'a' as in awe, the answer is Armitage is twenty two hundred north.
Actually, that would be Webster.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Actually, that would be Webster.
AAAAGH. Actually you would be right.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. Pangloss View Post
a little back ground: I was born in chicago, as was my mom, her parents, their parents, etc...

So, i got into a discussion with some coworkers and said something about armitage being "twenty hundred north" at which the conversation came to an abrupt halt. They maintainted that the streets divisible by 1000 were properly called "thousands" as in "armitage is two thousand north"

i think this is ridiculous because no one calls division "one thousand, two hundred north", so why would you call oak "one thousand north"?

I realize that there's no real right answer, and that consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, but in this case, like others, i think there is a way that is more authentically chicago.

What say you all?
I Say You Are Right.

Last edited by Nisus; 11-10-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Old 11-17-2009, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

I was born and raised Chicago, but I've always said "two-thousand" north for Armitage, and "twenty-four hundred" north for Fullerton. I also refer to Pulaski as "four thousand" west, if necessary to give someone directions on the grid, and, say, Kedzie as "thirty-two hundred west." "Twenty hundred" and "forty hundred" sound really bad to my ears, but it could be a dialectal difference within Chicago. I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone use hundreds for streets divisible by 1000, but it's not like it comes up in conversation that often.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-17-2009 at 12:46 AM..
Old 11-27-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I was born and raised Chicago, but I've always said "two-thousand" north for Armitage, and "twenty-four hundred" north for Fullerton. I also refer to Pulaski as "four thousand" west, if necessary to give someone directions on the grid, and, say, Kedzie as "thirty-two hundred west." "Twenty hundred" and "forty hundred" sound really bad to my ears, but it could be a dialectal difference within Chicago. I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone use hundreds for streets divisible by 1000, but it's not like it comes up in conversation that often.
Dis right here is da way.

2000= "two-tao-zand"
2100="twenny-one hunnert"

Also:
North="Nort" South="Sout"
Front room="frunchroom"
Grocery store = "Dominicks, Jewels, Meijers"
Chicago = "Chi-caw-go"
You all = "youse"
Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonjockey308 View Post
Actually, it would be "the Jewel" (even though we all know there is more than one of them) in my neighborhood. "The Dominics" is acceptable, but for some reason not as required. And Meijers? We don't need no stinkin' Meijers!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually, it would be "the Jewel" (even though we all know there is more than one of them) in my neighborhood. "The Dominics" is acceptable, but for some reason not as required. And Meijers? We don't need no stinkin' Meijers!
We either said "da Jewels" or "Jewels" with the "s" at the end. As for "Chicago" = "shih-CAW-go," I think that's a division in accents within Chicago. We said "shih-CAH-go" with an overenunciated "CAH." I hear both "CAH" and "CAW" variations among people with very strong Chicago accents (like city workers, cops, folks from Back of the Yards, etc.) I was born in Back of the Yards and grew up a mile or two west, and the accent here is (or was) very much influenced by Eastern European where the "AH" sound is more common than the "AW" sound.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-29-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonjockey308 View Post
Dis right here is da way.

2000= "two-tao-zand"
2100="twenny-one hunnert"

Also:
North="Nort" South="Sout"
Front room="frunchroom"
Chicago = "Chi-caw-go"
You all = "youse"
You forgot sahsage.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM

20+ years on the NW side beginning in 1960 - Irving was always 4 thousand, not 40 hunnert.