The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
Dr. Pangloss Dr. Pangloss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Hunnerts or thousands...? (INCL COMMENTS BY CECIL)

A little back ground: I was born in Chicago, as was my mom, her parents, their parents, etc...

So, I got into a discussion with some coworkers and said something about Armitage being "twenty hundred north" at which the conversation came to an abrupt halt. They maintainted that the streets divisible by 1000 were properly called "thousands" as in "Armitage is two thousand north"

I think this is ridiculous because no one calls Division "one thousand, two hundred north", so why would you call Oak "one thousand north"?

I realize that there's no real right answer, and that consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, but in this case, like others, I think there is a way that is more authentically Chicago.

What say you all?
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 10-26-2009, 10:39 AM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
I agree with you; streets in Chicago are NEVER measured in thousands. Yes, it does sound a tad jarring to suburbanites and other foreigners, and the mathematician in me rebels a bit, but my three generations of Chicago heritage know that it is the proper way.

I also applaud your proper spelling and (one assumes) pronunciation of "hunnert"......TRM (twenty one hunnert north, eight hunnert west)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-26-2009, 01:33 PM
Dr. Pangloss Dr. Pangloss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
I also applaud your proper spelling and (one assumes) pronunciation of "hunnert"......TRM (twenty one hunnert north, eight hunnert west)
I suppose I could've titled the thread "hunnerts and tao-zins", but I'm not sure many would've known what I meant...until they said it outloud.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
C K Dexter Haven C K Dexter Haven is offline
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago north suburb
Posts: 16,078
Agreed, Touhy is 72-hunnert north. Fer shure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2009, 06:59 AM
C K Dexter Haven C K Dexter Haven is offline
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: Chicago north suburb
Posts: 16,078
Cecil has responded to this one: http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20091105.php
Congrats, Dr Pangloss!

Last edited by C K Dexter Haven; 11-06-2009 at 06:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Nisus Nisus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
To conduct a proper survey, you must first find out how the responder pronounces Chicago. Since I pronounce it, the proper way, with an 'i' as in if, and an 'a' as in awe, the answer is Armitage is twenty two hundred north.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-08-2009, 04:59 PM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisus View Post
To conduct a proper survey, you must first find out how the responder pronounces Chicago. Since I pronounce it, the proper way, with an 'i' as in if, and an 'a' as in awe, the answer is Armitage is twenty two hundred north.
Actually, that would be Webster.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Nisus Nisus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Actually, that would be Webster.
AAAAGH. Actually you would be right.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Nisus Nisus is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. Pangloss View Post
a little back ground: I was born in chicago, as was my mom, her parents, their parents, etc...

So, i got into a discussion with some coworkers and said something about armitage being "twenty hundred north" at which the conversation came to an abrupt halt. They maintainted that the streets divisible by 1000 were properly called "thousands" as in "armitage is two thousand north"

i think this is ridiculous because no one calls division "one thousand, two hundred north", so why would you call oak "one thousand north"?

I realize that there's no real right answer, and that consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, but in this case, like others, i think there is a way that is more authentically chicago.

What say you all?
I Say You Are Right.

Last edited by Nisus; 11-10-2009 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-2009, 12:43 AM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 39,953
I was born and raised Chicago, but I've always said "two-thousand" north for Armitage, and "twenty-four hundred" north for Fullerton. I also refer to Pulaski as "four thousand" west, if necessary to give someone directions on the grid, and, say, Kedzie as "thirty-two hundred west." "Twenty hundred" and "forty hundred" sound really bad to my ears, but it could be a dialectal difference within Chicago. I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone use hundreds for streets divisible by 1000, but it's not like it comes up in conversation that often.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-17-2009 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-27-2009, 07:35 PM
buttonjockey308 buttonjockey308 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
I was born and raised Chicago, but I've always said "two-thousand" north for Armitage, and "twenty-four hundred" north for Fullerton. I also refer to Pulaski as "four thousand" west, if necessary to give someone directions on the grid, and, say, Kedzie as "thirty-two hundred west." "Twenty hundred" and "forty hundred" sound really bad to my ears, but it could be a dialectal difference within Chicago. I honestly don't think I've ever heard anyone use hundreds for streets divisible by 1000, but it's not like it comes up in conversation that often.
Dis right here is da way.

2000= "two-tao-zand"
2100="twenny-one hunnert"

Also:
North="Nort" South="Sout"
Front room="frunchroom"
Grocery store = "Dominicks, Jewels, Meijers"
Chicago = "Chi-caw-go"
You all = "youse"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Tim R. Mortiss Tim R. Mortiss is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonjockey308 View Post
.....
Grocery store = "Dominicks, Jewels, Meijers"
.....
Actually, it would be "the Jewel" (even though we all know there is more than one of them) in my neighborhood. "The Dominics" is acceptable, but for some reason not as required. And Meijers? We don't need no stinkin' Meijers!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-29-2009, 03:00 PM
pulykamell pulykamell is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: SW Side, Chicago
Posts: 39,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Actually, it would be "the Jewel" (even though we all know there is more than one of them) in my neighborhood. "The Dominics" is acceptable, but for some reason not as required. And Meijers? We don't need no stinkin' Meijers!
We either said "da Jewels" or "Jewels" with the "s" at the end. As for "Chicago" = "shih-CAW-go," I think that's a division in accents within Chicago. We said "shih-CAH-go" with an overenunciated "CAH." I hear both "CAH" and "CAW" variations among people with very strong Chicago accents (like city workers, cops, folks from Back of the Yards, etc.) I was born in Back of the Yards and grew up a mile or two west, and the accent here is (or was) very much influenced by Eastern European where the "AH" sound is more common than the "AW" sound.

Last edited by pulykamell; 11-29-2009 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-28-2010, 06:28 PM
thirdwarning thirdwarning is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonjockey308 View Post
Dis right here is da way.

2000= "two-tao-zand"
2100="twenny-one hunnert"

Also:
North="Nort" South="Sout"
Front room="frunchroom"
Grocery store = "Dominicks, Jewels, Meijers"
Chicago = "Chi-caw-go"
You all = "youse"
You forgot sahsage.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Dinsdale Dinsdale is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2000
20+ years on the NW side beginning in 1960 - Irving was always 4 thousand, not 40 hunnert.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.