Do Pith Helmets Keep You Cool?

When you look at those old 1930’s Tarzan movies, the white explorers are all wearing pith helmets. These are pretty heavy-I saw one once. They have a lining of a cork-likesubstance (pith) which is supposed to keep your head cooler. Are these helmets any better than, say, a baseball cap?

Yes, they work. They aren’t heavy, though, they are made of cork and fabric.

They are very light weight, and when worn properly have a gap under them that allows air to circulate around your scalp. Very comfortable, even if my daughters don’t like to be seen with me during the summer.

So you are saying when you wear one, your daughters don’t want to be seen around you and are pithed off?

Such a pithy response.
Mine is quite comfortable. I wear it gardening.

They make you look cool. :cool:

OK, maybe ‘interesting’ would be a better word.

Fine. ‘Eccentric’.

The pith, as well as the purgee (headband) is absorbent, so if saturated with water will keep your head cool through evaporation.

(Which wasn’t an option for the Americans in WWII, who wore molded cardboard pith helmets)

Dependth how warm the pith ith.

It is better to be pithed off than to be pithed on.

[nitpick]

Puggaree. Also, pugaree or puggree.

[/nitpick]

The boyfriend has one that he loves. He does sometimes wet it, and says it’s a very efficient cooling method.

Dammit! Too late! :slight_smile:

I was gonna say, if the pith ith frohthen.

A couple years ago, The Sharper Image sold a plastic neck band which, if you poured water into one spongy side would keep your neck (and theortically) your head.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharper-Image-Personal-Cooling-System/dp/B000XO2LNC

I think it’s downstairs in a box with some other exercise stuff. If I can find it, I’d be glad to send it to ya as a gift. Let me know! :slight_smile:

Q

A friend of mine makes those things with that absorbent jelly-stuff in a cloth tube.

Edited to add the word “cool” :smack:

I haven’t tried ths edition of the neck cooler, but I did try another version SI made. That version was all metal and ridiculously expensive ($200 if I recall correctly). That version was amazing, and very effective. No water or breeze came in contact with your neck - only the metal, which was cooled by the water and fan inside of it.

And, of course, none of these things work well when the humidity is high. That would make pith helmets a lot better in the desert than the jungle.

I’ve been using this solar powered pith helmet for years, with good results vis a vis cooling.

What is your hat size? They don’t seem to come in multiple sizes.

It doesn’t just keep you cool, it keeps you awesome.

I have a Zulu War-style Pith Helmet and can confirm they do indeed keep you cool, although my wife won’t let me wear it in public. :stuck_out_tongue:

Martini-- try the Aloha Shirt/ pith helmet combination. Chicks dig it.