The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 01-04-2001, 11:48 AM

I, as a guy, will flush half way through my #1 so that I finish at the same time as the toilet. Is it just me or is that common. I'm interested in hearing from females too, even though it would take a bit of acrobatics for a woman to reach around and flush. Also, do you get your t.p. ready before you sit down, or after?
Old 01-04-2001, 12:02 PM

I believe that is weird. I will flush after the initial stages of #2 though.
Old 01-04-2001, 01:03 PM

Females who know about the toilet plume don't flush "during".

Ever.
Old 01-04-2001, 02:18 PM

On this topic, a very wise friend of mine once said to me in a washroom at the Montreal Molson Center hockey arena.

"When you woke up this morning, you took a shower, dried off and put clean boxers on. Your penis has been kept safe there throughout the day. Your hands, however, have handled a million unclean, unsanitary things just at this arena alone. But still, you wash your hands AFTER you've handled yourself."

Now I was twice.
Old 01-04-2001, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by New & Improved Scott
On this topic, a very wise friend of mine once said to me in a washroom at the Montreal Molson Center hockey arena.

"When you woke up this morning, you took a shower, dried off and put clean boxers on. Your penis has been kept safe there throughout the day. Your hands, however, have handled a million unclean, unsanitary things just at this arena alone. But still, you wash your hands AFTER you've handled yourself."

Now I was twice.
That raises another point. I wash my hands after using public restrooms, or even my parents', but not at home. I think it has to do with how dirty I think a bathroom is. I, of course, think mine is spotless, even if there is cat litter on the seat.
Old 01-04-2001, 03:29 PM

N & I Scott - check out Cecil's word on this
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_220.html

KV - That's just weird, man, but you're not the only one. The whole point of flushing is to get rid of all of your #1, not just most of it (unless you're an expert at timing it).
Old 01-04-2001, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phobos
N & I Scott - check out Cecil's word on this
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_220.html

KV - That's just weird, man, but you're not the only one. The whole point of flushing is to get rid of all of your #1, not just most of it (unless you're an expert at timing it).
Well, sometimes I flush BEFORE if it's just too gross to pee in. I mean if it is a public urinal( which they put WAAAAAAAY too low for me, especially when I'm wearing ice skates) and its kinda funky, I will flush it before. I always wonder how hair gets on top of the urinal... how tall was that guy?
I am pretty good at timing when the tank will be done refilling on my home toilet. It's one of the old water-wasters. Something like 9 gallons a flush. I've never had to call a plumber for a clog, though.
Old 01-04-2001, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Flush before if you want, but ALWAYS flush after! It's digusting to walk up to a fixture and find somebody else's stinking byproducts in there.

A couple of weeks ago, I got to a stall just as another fellow was leaving it. I walked in, and I saw what he had forgotten. I was already grumbly about something else. I tilted my head back and hollered, "SOMEbody's mommy didn't teach him how to flush!"
Old 01-04-2001, 05:34 PM

KV: Why not wait until you're all done? I mean, do you have a particular reason for doing a simultaneous pee-flush thing, or is it just an endearing little idiosyncracy? As to women doing that, it really wouldn't work because we wipe after we pee, so one would be leaving the paper in the toilet.

I unroll the TP after I'm done, I think.

And I almost always wash my hands, even if just a quick token splash under the cold faucet.
Old 01-04-2001, 05:45 PM

I gotta say after. I've never heard of people flushing during, though I never really enquired.
With public urinals/toilets, though, flushing before also is usually a must. Well, a must if someone else has...left their business unattended to.
Old 01-04-2001, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KV
That raises another point. I wash my hands after using public restrooms, or even my parents', but not at home. I think it has to do with how dirty I think a bathroom is. I, of course, think mine is spotless, even if there is cat litter on the seat.
I do the same. I always wash at public restrooms and friends' houses, but not at home.
Old 01-04-2001, 10:10 PM

During. I try to time it, like KV was talking about. It's a game almost.

And I have to wash my hands. If I don't (i.e. when the sink in the public restroom doesn't work) I can't think about anything but my hands and when I can wash them. It's just gross.
Old 01-04-2001, 10:13 PM

Flush? What is this "flush" thing of which you speak?
Old 01-05-2001, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by silent_rob
I gotta say after. I've never heard of people flushing during, though I never really enquired.
With public urinals/toilets, though, flushing before also is usually a must. Well, a must if someone else has...left their business unattended to.
I always flush AFTER #2, I hate to walk into a stall and see that. But, I can't be alone with the #1 thing. Rarely, except for at Disney where the toilet flushes itself, do I walk up to a urinal or stall that has clean water in it.
Old 01-05-2001, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

You're not alone KV. I'm with you.

If it needs one after( I had more to get rid of than I thought ) I flush after aswell.
Old 01-05-2001, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Duck Duck Goose
Females who know about the toilet plume don't flush "during".
The following is a quote from the above link:

"If an alien came from space and studied the bacterial counts," the professor says, "he probably would conclude he should wash his hands in your toilet and crap in your sink."

I think I feel a new sig coming on...

Oh yeah... after. Right before I bolt wildly from the bathroom.

god is no where
god is now here
how easy was that?
Old 01-05-2001, 10:13 AM

AFTER AFTER AFTER AFTER!!!

I cannot stand entering a bathroom...anywhere - public or private...and find something left in the toilet which will almost inevitably happen, should you flush during a release of waste of any shape, size or type. ICK!

As for the logistics of flushing - it would be very difficult for a female to flush *during* a waste release, anyway...let alone the aforementioned *toilet flush*. Of course, it's easier for males to flush *during* and I know a few who have that habit. My own SO was one of those types, until I practically beat it out of him.

Old 01-05-2001, 10:52 AM

I think the really dodgy part of going to public toilets is after you have carefully washed your hands and dried them thoroughly you go to open the door and immediately find that someone wasn't quite as careful as you were at cleaning and drying their hands.....ughhh
Old 01-05-2001, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Melpomene
AFTER AFTER AFTER AFTER!!!

I cannot stand entering a bathroom...anywhere - public or private...and find something left in the toilet which will almost inevitably happen, should you flush during a release of waste of any shape, size or type. ICK!
So, do you ever use campground pit toilets or Porta-Potties of any kind? Or does the thought of your waste comingling with that of others in a large vat of urine and feces only inches from your derrierre creep you out to the point of suppressing your bodily functions altogether?
Old 01-05-2001, 12:26 PM

So, do you ever use campground pit toilets or Porta-Potties of any kind? Or does the thought of your waste comingling with that of others in a large vat of urine and feces only inches from your derrierre creep you out to the point of suppressing your bodily functions altogether? [/B][/QUOTE]

I actually am afraid of using a porta-potty. Not because of what could be in there, shudder, but I don't trust people not to knock it over while I'm in it.
Old 01-05-2001, 02:48 PM

I once saw two squirrles fighting in the tank of a port-a-potty once. That was really scarring. I was young, and the whole rest of the trip, I tried to hold it in.
Old 01-05-2001, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NaughtyMe
I think the really dodgy part of going to public toilets is after you have carefully washed your hands and dried them thoroughly you go to open the door and immediately find that someone wasn't quite as careful as you were at cleaning and drying their hands.....ughhh
Most people, of course, aren't very careful about anything. So protect yourself, that's what the paper towels are for.
Old 01-05-2001, 11:48 PM

Well...

If I understand correctly...I've heard that a lot of guys flush beforehand for a few reasons:

1) The sound of water gets them in ..."the mood"
2) The flushing blocks out splashing sounds.
3) They like to pop the bubbles or fill the tank with their own bubbles.

and I think many flush afterwards.

What I have trouble fully understanding is this complete lack of toilet paper use after a guy uses a urinal. I just can't imagine that the shaking off thing works.

Has anyone seen a guy wipe his penis with a swab of toilet paper? Do you guys do this at home but just not at a public urinal? Also, do some guys kneel while they pee in a toilet? I've heard of that but wasn't sure if it really happened.

Tibs.
Old 01-06-2001, 12:37 AM

Re: Well...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiburon
What I have trouble fully understanding is this complete lack of toilet paper use after a guy uses a urinal. I just can't imagine that the shaking off thing works.
It doesn't... to quote an old saying I heard somewhere long ago (hence it being "old") - no matter how much you shake and dance, the last drop always ends up in your pants. Long ago, men probably realized the futility of wiping it since no matter what - 10 seconds after they tucked it away - one more drop!

Quote:
Also, do some guys kneel while they pee in a toilet? I've heard of that but wasn't sure if it really happened.
I've never heard of someone doing that. Now, what you really need to experience is the pee chills - do women get those? A lot of the guys I know do (myself included).
Old 01-06-2001, 12:48 AM

I always have to wash my hands, and I think out of most people I see that wash, I probably spend a full half a minute washing instead of the "rinse your hands off" bull routine. I think part of it has to do with having relatives and friends who told me stories about health films where they talked about how unsanitary it is to not wash your hands after you use the bathroom, etc. I also have this thing about residue on my hands: if I can't wash my hands, I try not to touch anything until I can, especially not on my own person.
Old 01-06-2001, 02:17 AM

I flush after, of course! Why before or during? That's just...I don't know, weird.
Old 01-06-2001, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Melpomene
As for the logistics of flushing - it would be very difficult for a female to flush *during* a waste release, anyway...let alone the aforementioned *toilet flush*. Of course, it's easier for males to flush *during* and I know a few who have that habit. My own SO was one of those types, until I practically beat it out of him.

Sometimes I do during. I'm a female...why is it easier for males?
Old 01-06-2001, 09:11 PM

Flush? HA! I never flush!
Old 01-07-2001, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KV
I actually am afraid of using a porta-potty. Not because of what could be in there, shudder, but I don't trust people not to knock it over while I'm in it.
While working in the NWT at a mine site, Mike P. and his chopper pilot buddy lifted a porta-potty while fellow was in it.
Old 01-07-2001, 01:12 AM

I've peed while kneeling when the electricity was off in the house and didn't care to make a mess of the place
Old 01-07-2001, 09:08 AM

I find that after #2, there is tp in the bowl, after the flush. I don't bother to wait for it, so I can flush again.