Critically Panned Movies That You Love

One of my favorite movies is Toys with Robin Williams, LL Cool J, and Joan Cusack. It also happens to be rated below average on IMDB, and has been almost universally panned by critics. This is one of the few instances that I can conjure up where I completely don’t understand where the critics are coming from. I think it’s a charming and unique movie that has some gorgeous cinematography and an interesting, almost allegorical, plot. The soundtrack perfectly fits the mood of the movie, and I absolutely love the closing sequence.

What are some of *your *favorite “terrible” movies?

The Postman.

I have to agree with you there. I don’t really understand what was supposed to be bad about it. It’s not (IMHO) one of the best post-apocalyptic movies around, but certainly far from the worst.

As an action/martial arts fan, I can pretty much count on one hand the movies I like that were critical successes, and 4 of them were made by Bruce Lee.

Lol, one of my favorites, Bloodsport, has a 35% at rottentomatoes. :slight_smile:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/circle_of_iron/

The romantic scenes and the soundtrack (including an acoustic cover by the community band of “Come and Get Your Love” which the entire town sings along to, including the “comeandgetyourlove comeandgetyourlove comeandgetyourlove now” part) were too much for a lot of people.

…obligatory Hudson Hawk post.

I loved that one too!

I’m convinced that Dopers have much better taste than the critics…

The Island of Dr. Moreau, with Marlin Brando and Val Kilmer. Saw it in the theater three times, back when I was young and bored.

I never understood why Armageddon gets crapped on so badly. Its a damn action movie - it does exactly what its SUPOSSED to do, and does it well, IMO.

I loved Howard The Duck when it first came out on video. Of course, that was 1986 and I was 10. I don’t know what I’d think of it now though. Then again I was [del]obsessed[/del] had a crush on Lea Thompson ever since BTTF.
OK I still do. Oh Lea why won’t you return my calls?

Joe Versus the Volcano

Did the critics even touch POOTIE TANG?

and add me and mrAru … it is a favorite popcorn flick when we are bored.

I have always wanted his luggage…

An old classic, Showgirls. I saw a brilliant piece of dark biting Sirkian satire about the star-is-born genre and the American dream. Critics saw something else entirely.

I came in here to post that.

North.

I love Toys right up to the third act, where it goes a bit astray. I’d still watch it again though. Likewise, love Hudson Hawk whenever Andie MacWoodenDowel is not onscreen.

I really, really liked Super Mario Brothers. Completely, stupendously over-the-top fun.

Bloodsport is a classic! I think sometimes reviewers ought to make more of an effort to judge the movie within the context of its genre. Nobody goes to Bloodsport expecting it to be Citizen Kane.