Abductions and alien implants.

Does anybody have any information on the credibility of this Dr Leir fella speaking here?

Are his claims in the linked video worthy of any serious scrutiny, or is Dr Leir another poor deluded fool?

I can’t watch it at work, can you summarize the claims/evidence?

My current opinion is that the alien abduction/They Left A Device In My Body proponents are just flat-out wrong (and that they have various motivations). When we see some really credible evidence I’ll be happy to revisit my views.

I can wait until you get home - I’m in no rush.

Oh, nevermind. You don’t have to watch it.

Basically, the gist of the vid is that this Dr Roger Leir guy from California( I know - a bit worrying!) has taken 9 objects from his patients that scientists from Los Alamos are supposed to have said are non-terrestrial.

Has Dr Leir spent too long baking in the California sun, or might he have found a major clue here?

Are there any obvious reasons to suspect he has lost the plot here, or that his only motivation is money and attention?

What scientists?

just my impression, but it seems to me that over the past few years there’s been a big decline in UFO-related stuff.
Ever since cell phones became popular, (and especially cell phones with cameras ), the crazy people have been making up fewer stories. (Disclaimer: it’s just my opinion, I havent got any facts …but has anyone else noticed this?)

The linked video is a typical TV over-dramatization. There are several others just like it on youtube. They all have as the central star a surgeon who makes a habit of removing alien substances from many different patients, and then sends the oddly shaped pieces of rock,or meteorite ,or whatever to be tested by high-tech laboratories.
It’s a little weird that the doctor makes his wild claims , but the lab technicians in the most respected labs in the world seem only vaguely interested in the substances. You would think that top scientists would be pretty excited about something so unusual.
But the surgeon seems to be enjoying all the attention…, and lets not forget that he’s conveniently located in California. Ya know , near Hollywood…

Has anyone ELSE tested the object for their non-earthitude?

Besides the fact that what he is saying is complete horse shit?

Because you said so? I’m afraid you’ll have to do better than that.

Remember, this is GQ, and civility and facts are appreciated.

Define “alien.” Explain the leap from mystery metal to “abduction.” And then point me to a video where he actually produces specific lab results rather then discusses them in vague generalities.

It is not uncivil at all to call something horse shit when it in fact is horse shit. If it makes you feel better, I’ll call it manure.

Until there’s some other evidence besides the guy’s say-so that any real scientists have examined these things, and found something unusual, my money is way on the manure side of the line.
It’s not up to us to prove the crazy doctor’s crazy claims are true; those making the extraordinary claims are the ones who need to show extraordinary evidence.

Has he made available any detailed results of the lab work? Has he named the lab that produced them? Has he named a single scientist that produced these amazing results? If not, his claims have no more support than the random raving of a loony on the street.

Using the non-specific term “scientist” is a red flag.

Geologist, Materials Engineer, Astronomer, Astro-geologist, Mettallurgist, etc would all be better terms to at least tell us what the expertise was that had studied the objects.

Of course, the could be astro-archeologists…destroying all credibility of the claim.

What makes someone a “scientist”? Is it the “S” in thier “B.S.”? Is it their field of study in (list from Wikipedia article :“Scientist” :Archaeologists
Astronomers
astrophysicists
Biologists
astrobiologists, botanists, biophysicists, entomologists, evolutionary biologists, ecologists, geneticists, herpetologists, ichthyologists, immunologists, lepidopterists, microbiologists, neuroscientists, ornithologists, paleontologists, pathologists, pharmacologists, physiologists, zoologists and biotechnologist
Chemists
biochemists, Organic Chemist, Physical chemist, Inorganic Chemist, Analytical Chemist
Computer scientists
Engineers
though not specifically devoted to scientific research, math and science are applied in developing solutions for technical problems.
Earth scientists
geologists, mineralogists, paleontologists, seismologists, volcanologists, hydrologists, glaciologists, limnologists, meteorologists, and oceanographers
Educational psychologists
Library scientists
Management scientists
Mathematicians
Medical scientists
Military scientists
Philosophers
Physicists
Psychologists
Social scientists
anthropologists, communication scientists, demographers, economists, geographers, political economists, political scientists, and sociologists
Technological and agricultural scientists

Technically, according to either definition, I am a “scientist”. Does that qualify me to examine chunks of metal and declare them of non-terrestrial origin? I’m sure my degrees in Computer Science and International Business make me an expert in everything…right?

Well I’ll watch it when I get home but some random thoughts:

1. Just because something is non-terrestrial it doesn’t imply aliens. For example a scientist could state definitively that a hunk of meteorite is Not Of This Planet but there’s nothing mysterious about that (other than the inherent coolness of a meteorite).

2. We’d need to have some details of the exact objects and some definitive proof of exactly how they were recovered. If he shows a chip of rock in a plastic bag and says “This did not come from Earth” that is a far cry from showing an unusual metal artifact that is not of Earthly origin and having conclusive evidence that it was recovered from deep inside somebody’s brain.

3. The scientists should be more than happy to come out and say exactly who they are, what materials they were given to test and what they can state about them. See point #1 - if Dr. Leir walked up and handed them a bit of stuff that tested as non-terrestrial that’s what they’d say, that doesn’t mean they are saying “OMG, little green men”.

4. Any credible scientist who had proof, or at least very strong evidence, of actual extraterrestrial artifacts (something “made” as opposed to just a hunk of natural material) would publish it in the appropriate scientific journal and there’d be peer review of the evidence, claims and conclusions. YouTube is not that.

Until these kinds of issues are addressed (and I haven’t watched that video yet) there’s no more reason to believe that than there is to believe me when I say that I am a robot from the Andromeda galaxy.

You’re kidding, right? The discovery of alien anything would be the biggest news in the history of science. Real scientists would have their names carved into immortality if they had such a thing.

But no, not a word from real scientists. Not one single word. Even though the video is more than two years old!

Horse shit is too kind. I say so, and I’m right.

Well…I have a degree in SCIENCE! Therefore I am a scientist.

I can walk into a room with anything from any discipline and know exactly how to work it/what it is for…because I have a degree in SCIENCE!

{/1950’s scifi movie flashback}

How exactly do you become one of “his” patients? Is he a regular practice doctor that has had patients randomly show up complaining about mysterious pains in their bodies? Or does he advertise in UFO weekly and people come to him complaining that aliens have implanted objects in their bodies?

I just watched the video, and it’s bunk. The “tip-off to the rip-off”, as usual, is all the vague, unsupported claims. Sure, if you accept as unconditionally true everything that is said in that video, we’ve got alien implants. But if you actually examine the claims and apply some logic, there’s just nothing there at all:

The narrator says that the triangular object was housed in yet another inner membrane which could not by cut "even with a surgical scalpel. Notice, though, that they don’t show this remarkable membrane, let alone show its inability to be cut. And if it can’t be cut, how did they get it off?

The narrator says that the implant was sent to Los Alamos laboratory, but we see no evidence of that. Why not?

Later, they show a page from the New Mexico Tech report which, if you pause and read, says pretty much what the Dr. says: the object is from a meteorite.

OMIGOD, IT’S EXTRATERRESTRIAL!!! Um, yeah, meteorites are, by definition, extraterrestrial. So what?

Narrator again: “Amazingly the New Mexico Tech report lab report revealed that the elements in the implant were composed of meteorites so rare only a few had ever been found.” So, congratulations, you’ve found another one.

So what both the Dr. and the narrator are saying here is that the “implant” is from a rare meteorite. Meteorites do NOT equate to intelligent alien beings. At least last I checked.

Then the biggest laugh: the narrator informs us that scanning electron microscope analysis revealed that the object was manufactured. This voiceover is accompanied by a shot of a blurry image on a screen of some object – an object, by the way, whose shape is totally different from the clearly triangular pointed object shown earlier in the segment about the uncutable membrane – and some other random shots of a CRT screen and random microscope pictures.

The narrator finishes off by telling us that the electron microscope revealed that the implant had been connected to the patient’s nerve endings.

He doesn’t explain how either of those conclusions were reached, or by whom. It could well be that the Dr. himself, untrained in electron microscopes, peered in and saw some straight lines and concluded that the thing couldn’t be natural. Heck, based on what is actually shown, there’s no reason to believe that the object has ever been within five miles of an electron microscope.

And I’m no doctor, but if an object has been under your skin for a while, wouldn’t you expect that the surrounding nerves and tissue would grow around it, possibly giving the impression that they are connected to it?

Bottom line: fantastic claims with absolutely ZERO supporting evidence. They SAY this and they SAY that, but the one and only thing that they present even the slightest support for is that the object is from a rare meteorite.

So I believe them on that point: it’s a piece of a rare meteorite. Not manufactured, not connected to the patient’s nerves, not implanted by aliens or the shadow government. Just a pebble. From outer space, sure, but just a natural pebble.

Yeah that guy is full of it. Of course there is no point of entry, that object had likely been inside the patient’s jaw for a good long time. He must have gotten hit by some shrapnel, or fell and cut his jaw on the ground, impacting a small pebble into the wound. Given enough time, the tissue could heal over it. Granted, one would expect to see some kind of scar, but who is to say there wasn’t one. As for the inflammatory response thing he mentioned, that too is bull. There are plenty of materials that do not induce an inflammatory response, such as the steel, titanium, or plastic used in surgical implants.

Some of you might have missed the point of this thread.

I’m not purporting my Youtube link to be proof of anything - I am asking if anyone has any familiarity with this man’s work, specifically his book, “The Aliens And The Scalpel”.

I certainly don’t want any ‘arguments from incredulity’, or ad hominems about the author…

Either way, I think your question has been answered.