The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-26-2009, 12:13 AM
GameHat GameHat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Man, just let the dog die in peace

The dog in question is "Jenkins", a beagle.

Jenkins lived a long life, for a beagle. We found him wandering beside a road as an abandoned puppy back in 1995. We adopted him.

He lived a long life. Now he's old, and a bit past the expected life for a dog of his type.

I moved out years ago; my brother moved out four years later. My parents kept Jenkins. A few days ago I got a call from my tearful mother: "Jenkins hasn't eaten in about a week. He can't walk anymore, he just wets himself. We took him to a vet and the vet advised that we should just put him down! His liver has shut down, I don't think we have a choice!"

I told my parents - "Man, that's sad. Jenkins was a great dog. Pet him one last time, tell him we love him, then have him put down. I hate to think of him suffering."

That was last Monday.

Tomorrow, of course, is Thanksgiving. That's when both me and my brother will be home.

I was dismayed to hear that my brother had told my parents to hold off on letting Jenkins go. To be fair, he loved the dog more than I did. He wants to see Jenkins one more time before he goes. So instead of having Jenkins put to sleep on Monday, which was the vet's advice, Jenkins must endure at least another week (unless he dies before then.)

I can't fault my brother for wanting to see him one last time; all the same I'm a bit uneasy at letting the poor dog suffer for another week. I can't help but think, "Jeez - let the poor dog go peacefully. He isn't eating, he's miserable, just let him go."
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 11-26-2009, 03:03 AM
Olentzero Olentzero is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
I feel for your brother and your parents, but I side with you on this one. My Boston Terrier, Pluggy, took up living with my mom in NH when I went to Georgetown in '93 and stayed around in DC. In '99 she developed an advanced case of Cushing's disease and it was making her miserable. The vet advised immediate euthanasia and my mom called me to let me know the news. My immediate reaction was to hold off so I could get up there somehow someway to say goodbye but that just wasn't possible. I told her to go ahead - there was no need to prolong Pluggy's suffering to suit my own desires. It was a hard thing to do, but pets depend on our decisions and actions for their quality of life and it's cruel to not let go merely for the sake of not letting go.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-26-2009, 05:39 AM
Quasimodem Quasimodem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Before they both passed, my parents (who lived in a big house) used to adopt dogs and/or cats from our local shelter.

They became their companions, to the point of my mother cooking for the dogs (the cats got canned cat food), which consisted of egg noodles with chicken. One of them REALLY gained a lot of weight and developed heart problems. One of the other, smaller dogs, arthritis to the point where he was dragging his hindquarters.

Mom and Dad spent a LOT of money for vets, and when they became incontinent, they covered the wood flooring in the dining room with vinyl flooring to make it easier for Dad to mop up the pee and do away with the poop.

Both these dogs were 12 years and 11 years old, and my then-wife and I used to beg my parents to hve them euthanized, but they weren't having it. Those animals were their "kids" in addition to their companions, and one doesn't euthanize a child.

My Dad passed first, then within two years, my mother. Only then were we able to have those two poor animals euthanized.

My point is that it's damned hard to separate a pet from elderly parents, especially when they have what was then called pre-senile dementia.

I, too, agree with GameHat. As y'all know, I'm very active in animal welfare (NOT PETA), and every Wednesday, at the shelter I support, is "euthanasia day", and that's my only caveat: many of these animals still have a lot of life left and deserve to be adopted and could be a very good companion to an elderly person, but sometimes "goodbye" is the best course, sad though it is.

Quasi
__________________
My Dementia Blog is at http://wheretobud.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-26-2009, 06:33 AM
PunditLisa PunditLisa is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: 'burbs of Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 13,847
It's a tough call. I know, I've been there. My neighbor loved her dog so much it blinded her. She refused to put the dog down even though the poor dog shat all over the place. They put a harness on her so that they could assist in lifting her up because she couldn't even pull herself up off the floor anymore. We all secretly wished that they'd put her down already.

The dog eventually died a really horrific death -- she started gasping for breath and panicking. They were at their lakehouse, with no vet around for miles. Of course, my neighbor wouldn't let them shoot her, which would have been more humane than watching her slowly die an agonizing death. It would have been far kinder for everyone involved to put her down while she was not in discomfort.

What are you going to do?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Wile E Wile E is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Sadly, we see a lot of euthanasias over the winter holidays because people try to keep their dying pets going until after the holidays or until a family member can come visit. What usually happens is that they realize the pet is really suffering and they end up having to bring it in on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day for emergency euthanasia. So an already difficult decision is made worse because they are forced to choose it on what is supposed to be a happy holiday.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Add99 Add99 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
When you make the choice to love anyone or anything it is always, always, always going to stab you right in the heart. You have to accept that going in and love anyway. When the time comes you make the choice that is best for the loved one, never yourself. You take the hit and do your best to let them off as easily as you possibly can. Anything else is selfish.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Quasimodem Quasimodem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunditLisa View Post
It's a tough call. I know, I've been there. My neighbor loved her dog so much it blinded her. She refused to put the dog down even though the poor dog shat all over the place. They put a harness on her so that they could assist in lifting her up because she couldn't even pull herself up off the floor anymore. We all secretly wished that they'd put her down already.

The dog eventually died a really horrific death -- she started gasping for breath and panicking. They were at their lakehouse, with no vet around for miles. Of course, my neighbor wouldn't let them shoot her, which would have been more humane than watching her slowly die an agonizing death. It would have been far kinder for everyone involved to put her down while she was not in discomfort.

What are you going to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E View Post
Sadly, we see a lot of euthanasias over the winter holidays because people try to keep their dying pets going until after the holidays or until a family member can come visit. What usually happens is that they realize the pet is really suffering and they end up having to bring it in on Thanksgiving or Christmas Day for emergency euthanasia. So an already difficult decision is made worse because they are forced to choose it on what is supposed to be a happy holiday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add99 View Post
When you make the choice to love anyone or anything it is always, always, always going to stab you right in the heart. You have to accept that going in and love anyway. When the time comes you make the choice that is best for the loved one, never yourself. You take the hit and do your best to let them off as easily as you possibly can. Anything else is selfish.
Well said, PunditLisa, Wile E and Add99

And I never thought about the emergency euthanizing.

I so wish we could publish all these opinions y'all wrote on the Humane Society's website or some other animal welfare group.

I AM going to ask if I can link to this thread from my blog if no one minds. I currently have 31 followers and most of them click to feed the animals on the rescueanimal site. If I could link to this thread, at least those folks would see it and maybe link it to someone else and help prevent this.

Thanks all of you. These are very well thought-out posts.

GameHat, how's Jenkins doing?

Quasi
__________________
My Dementia Blog is at http://wheretobud.blogspot.com

Last edited by Quasimodem; 11-26-2009 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Ferret Herder Ferret Herder is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
My inlaws kept one of their dogs alive far too long. He wasn't getting around well, he just looked miserable, he was incontinent and unable to do his business (even when outside) in such a fashion that it kept his fur out of the way and clean. I wouldn't have judged him as having any happy events in life left, except that he did try to greet people - and even then I hated seeing him try because you thought he was going to hurt himself trying to get up. They wouldn't do it for so long.

(Then earlier this year, my father-in-law put down their dog because now they are old and have health problems, this interferes with them being able to take care of the healthy dog, and he didn't want anyone else to have the dog, not even his daughter who owns two of the same breed and has a huge house and yard. Asshole.)

I have had to make this decision a number of times with the ferrets I've owned over the years, and the first one was a call from the operating room while I was at work, telling me that there were tumors everywhere in the abdominal cavity. I told the vet to just put her to sleep. I wanted to see her one more time but couldn't see the sense in having her stitched back up and allowed to come out of anesthesia, probably confused and in some pain, just so I could see her before she was put back under.

One of the vets I've seen called well-considered and well-timed euthanasia to often be "the last loving act of an owner towards a pet."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-26-2009, 11:30 PM
John DiFool John DiFool is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
My sister still has the cat she got when she got married-20 years ago.

Every time I go over there, I try to give the poor thing some attention. She still eats and shits, can still get around, but they have her exiled to the garage and frankly I don't know if anyone else (other than me) ever gives her any TLC. Her fur is all matted-my sister gives excuses when I ask her why she doesn't brush her or anything. Fate worse than death in some ways.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Johnny L.A. Johnny L.A. is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NoWA
Posts: 55,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiFool View Post
they have her exiled to the garage and frankly I don't know if anyone else (other than me) ever gives her any TLC.
That's horrible.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-27-2009, 08:10 AM
Qadgop the Mercotan Qadgop the Mercotan is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Slithering on the hull
Posts: 24,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret Herder View Post
One of the vets I've seen called well-considered and well-timed euthanasia to often be "the last loving act of an owner towards a pet."
I'd consider it to be "the last loving duty......."

An owner who puts their own wants above their pet's end-of-life needs is failing in their responsibility to their pet.

The same holds true for people who hold an activated Medical Power of Attorney for another individual who is at the end of their life.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-27-2009, 09:34 AM
zweisamkeit zweisamkeit is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
I was raised with the attitude that if you are taking on the responsibility of a pet, you are agreeing to take care of the animal. This includes not just feeding and annual shots, but emergency things that could crop up. For these, the question was, "after this is taken care of, will s/he have good quality of life again?" If so, we did it. I don't know how many thousands of dollars we spent on Mira (we had her from when I was 6 till a couple of months before I turned 22), the cocker spaniel that had torn ligaments, a neighbor attempt to poison her , and more. But each time, she'd be fine afterwards.

Our cut-off is whether the dog will still be in pain. We had her put down after she got an irreversible complete loss of balance. Her eyes were moving all out of sync, she couldn't even move her head without looking like she felt as if she was in a clothes dryer. It hurt HORRIBLY to have her put down, but keeping her alive at that point would've been absolutely selfish. Not in the best interests of her health, but because we didn't want to let her go. That's more cruel than having an animal be put to sleep.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Sailboat Sailboat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add99 View Post
When you make the choice to love anyone or anything it is always, always, always going to stab you right in the heart. You have to accept that going in and love anyway. When the time comes you make the choice that is best for the loved one, never yourself. You take the hit and do your best to let them off as easily as you possibly can. Anything else is selfish.
Brilliant and eloquent.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-27-2009, 10:07 AM
kingpengvin kingpengvin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
I'm torn with my situation.

I have a 15 year old cat that for the longest time due to his habit of eating everything he could got quite fat. He suddenly lost a great deal of weight. Then one day he started acting peculiar (wandering in circles drooling vomiting) I took him to the vet and it seems he had a growth in his stomach.

That was it, the operation would likely kill him and was too expensive so I decided to have him euthanized, but I wanted a few days to see him off. In three days he suddenly perked up. He ate like a horse stopped wandering and acting weird and began to groom himself and purred and acted like his old self.

That was three weeks ago. I have not seen outward signs of suffering (Hiding, refusing food or water) so I, selfishly I guess, decided to put it off.

He stopped the vomiting but had not gained back weight. He looks bad, Skin and bones. Recently he stopped grooming and smells bad with crusty food on his chin and nose, but still he eats great quantities, moves around well enough though with less energy, is still affectionate and responds normally. He goes to his litter box though has used the floor around it instead.

I have decided today to put him down.. though I feel guilty as because I'm not sure if he is suffering or not.... I worry maybe I'm blinding myself to it. I feel guilty that I am taking him off to be killed when maybe he may have more weeks left to him. Then again I may be doing more harm waiting for him to start suffering before I do anything.

I guess I just need Someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Quasimodem Quasimodem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
You are doing the right thing.

Caveat: It's kinda hard to say that for me as well, because I can't see your kitty, but if YOU are satisfied, you've done all you can do for his illness, then make an appointment and spend a few minutes with him before, and talk to him in soothing tones.

It's going to be hard, I guaran-damn-tee you, but you have to be strong.

One doesn't have a pet/companion for 15 years without there being a very strong between them.

I've got tears in my eyes even as I am writing this, because D and I had to do it twice when we were married before.

kingpenvin and GameHat, y'all are in my thoughts as I write this.

Remember the Rainbow Bridge, and PM me if you need to, okay?

Thanks and hang tough.

Bill

Last edited by Quasimodem; 11-27-2009 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-27-2009, 10:21 AM
cwthree cwthree is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpengvin View Post
I'm torn with my situation.

I have a 15 year old cat that for the longest time due to his habit of eating everything he could got quite fat. He suddenly lost a great deal of weight. Then one day he started acting peculiar (wandering in circles drooling vomiting) I took him to the vet and it seems he had a growth in his stomach.

That was it, the operation would likely kill him and was too expensive so I decided to have him euthanized, but I wanted a few days to see him off. In three days he suddenly perked up. He ate like a horse stopped wandering and acting weird and began to groom himself and purred and acted like his old self.

That was three weeks ago. I have not seen outward signs of suffering (Hiding, refusing food or water) so I, selfishly I guess, decided to put it off.

He stopped the vomiting but had not gained back weight. He looks bad, Skin and bones. Recently he stopped grooming and smells bad with crusty food on his chin and nose, but still he eats great quantities, moves around well enough though with less energy, is still affectionate and responds normally. He goes to his litter box though has used the floor around it instead.

I have decided today to put him down.. though I feel guilty as because I'm not sure if he is suffering or not.... I worry maybe I'm blinding myself to it. I feel guilty that I am taking him off to be killed when maybe he may have more weeks left to him. Then again I may be doing more harm waiting for him to start suffering before I do anything.

I guess I just need Someone to tell me I'm doing the right thing.
You are absolutely doing the right thing. It's not easy, but it's the right thing.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-27-2009, 10:38 AM
elbows elbows is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 12,162
I've been on both sides of this one. No one can tell you the right thing to do, you have to go with what's in your heart, I think.

I have been advised to put a pet down before, and always followed that advice believing the vet always knew best. Then a series of circumstances came into our lives that challenged that belief, or, at least, my ability to follow such advice.

Firstly my dog began to seizure, first once every few months, gradually increasing until the only action was clear. My husband took him to the vet and they put him to sleep. It was so hard, as I'm sure you all know.

A few months later my Mother In Law, passed in our home. After 6 years of being her primary caregiver, 24/7, it rocked my world. Even though I'd known, all along, how the dance we were doing, would end.

A few months later my cat, at fifteen years, developed tumors, many. But the vet said it wasn't causing her any discomfort. I kept close watch on her, and besides slowing down a little she was doing okay, could eat and poop and get around just fine.

But then, that changed too. She couldn't get around as well any more. I had to help her up onto the furniture, she was moving very slowly when she moved around at all. I knew what was happening, but, by then I had some severe 'house of death' issues.

I made it very clear to my hubby that until I saw signs of pain or distress I was NOT going to consider putting her down. When my friends suggested "it was time", I ignored them. Yes, she was going to die, I got that, but that didn't seem enough reason to end her life, to me.

So I kept her with me until the very end. And she was fine up till she had a shudder and was gone, all in about 2 minutes. She did not whine or cry out or seem, in any way, to be in pain.

When it was over, I was extremely glad I had gone against the conventional advice and did what was in my heart. I showered her with love during her last month, and did not consider it a hardship to have to lift her. I did not have to, but would have happily dealt with incontinence just the same.

Every case is different, of course. And I was prepared to race to the emergency vet clinic to have the deed done, should the need arise, but it just didn't.

I have friends who put their extremely old cat down because they were convinced she would not survive another long car ride to their cottage, and there would be no access to a vet, once there. She was otherwise, old, slow moving, in the latter stages of her life, but not in any discomfort.

I don't judge them for what they chose, but I could not have done that.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-28-2009, 04:44 PM
GameHat GameHat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Well, here's an unhappy update to the OP.

I got home on Thursday afternoon. Now - I had been expecting the dog to look pretty rough. What I wasn't expecting was how bad things were.

He'd dropped to 34 lbs. At his peak, he was 74.
He hadn't eaten in 5 days at this point. I also learn from my parents that he hadn't been able to keep water down for about 24 hours.
He can barely stand. Mostly he just lies on the floor wheezing.
He smells unspeakably bad. He's so weak that he won't even get up off the ground - he just defecates, urinates and vomits all over himself. My dad does bathe him every few hours, but the retching and vomit are more or less constant
He's gone deaf
His lungs are filling with fluid and he's having a hard time breathing

At this point I was pretty angry. My mother is in tears over his state (and she's not the most emotionally sturdy person) so it's through gritted teeth that I suggest that maybe the kindest thing to have done would have been to have had him put down when last they were at the vet. "Oh, it's terrible, but the vet said he wasn't suffering so we made the appointment for next Monday."

Next Monday. At that point Monday was four days away. And the dog can't even drink. I'm able to coax the poor thing to get a bit of water down on Thursday night.

Friday is even worse. The dog can't stand at all. And now every few minutes he shrieks in pain. I've had it. Call the fucking vet. This is cruelty.

Fortunately my father knew the vet pretty well so the vet agreed to come into his office on Friday (a vacation day for him). After a tearful goodbye, the poor beagle finally gets to rest.

Sorry, guy. You were a good dog. You didn't deserve that last week; I hope it wasn't as terrible as it looked. You were loved until the end, even if some of our idiotic human sentimentality made you suffer more than you had to.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-28-2009, 05:12 PM
FairyChatMom FairyChatMom is online now
I'm nice, dammit!
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern Merrylande
Posts: 36,168
My husband and I had a conversation some time ago, agreeing about end-of-pet-life choices. I'm glad we did.

I came home from work one day and couldn't find our Abyssinian. She was curled up on the basement floor, and when I brought her upstairs, she couldn't stand. I went immediately to the vet and they took us in (bless them) even tho it was their break. Every single vet in the practice examined her in turn, and determined that there was nothing they could do. The back end of her body was dying, and even extraodinary measures couldn't have helped her. Their kindness was amazing, and that made the horrible decision somewhat easier to make.

Now we're watching our older dog, since she's already outlived the lifespan several vets had given us. She's blind in one eye, mostly deaf, and occasionally she stumbles when she walks. Still, there are days when she bounds around like a puppy, so she's not on death's door. But when it's apparent that her time has come, we're ready - at least as ready as anyone can be. We won't let our girl suffer. It does help that we're in agreement about that decision.

GameHat, I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-28-2009, 06:10 PM
shantih shantih is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
GameHat, you saved Jenkins three days of increasing suffering. I'm so sorry for your distress, but thank goodness you were there to push it to an end.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Magiver Magiver is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbows View Post
I have friends who put their extremely old cat down because they were convinced she would not survive another long car ride to their cottage, and there would be no access to a vet, once there. She was otherwise, old, slow moving, in the latter stages of her life, but not in any discomfort.
Cats don't show pain as you would expect. My younger cat of 15 years started to slow down noticeably in the last 2 days of her life and I found her lying in the litter box. It turns out she had kidney problems that were not manifested by her behavior. By appearances she went fast but she was probably in distress long before that.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-29-2009, 02:21 PM
Markxxx Markxxx is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 14,962
I understand how people feel toward pets, but first of all you have to be realistic about things. If you love something, whether it's a person or a gerbil you put their interests before yourself.

If the dog needs to be put down, it's not pleasent, but letting it suffer so someone can say
"goodbye," realistically is only self serving to the brother.

50 years from now no one is going to remember the dog or the brother was ever alive, so I would put the dog to sleep and that is that.

Compassion is a valuable asset, but compassion like anything can be misplaced.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Mama Zappa Mama Zappa is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 11,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwthree View Post
You are absolutely doing the right thing. It's not easy, but it's the right thing.
Agreed. The cat may not be miserable now - which at least means you can perhaps have a little more time with him - but you know how it'll go soon enough.

We had a similar situation with our fellow, 20+ years ago. He had feline leukemia and had had health issues off and on, but was otherwise fat and happy and overall a truly wonderful companion. Then he quit eating, lost most of his fat, started moving more slowly, started limping... he'd still come when we rattled the container of treats (though he wouldn't eat them), and he'd still crawl onto our lap and purr, but he clearly preferred to be off by himself.

One thing you can ask though: does the vet make housecalls for this sort of thing? When we finally had our cat euthanized, they did so. The cat loathed the car and loathed the vet, and we (and the vet) saw no reason to make him suffer through the stress of going to That Hated Place.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-02-2009, 12:52 AM
moonstarssun moonstarssun is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
GameHat, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I'm glad you were there to step up for him and spare him more suffering.

It's hard to be in the decision-making position. We had to have our cat put down last year, and looking back I think we should've done it sooner than we did. I think I knew it was inevitable when we looked all over and finally found her hiding in the closet (she was well into her teens and had kidney disease). Before that she wasn't terribly active, but would hop up on the bed with us and come out for her food and water.

Things went downhill pretty quickly, and we took her to the vet. The vet thought she was declining, but didn't recommend putting her to sleep at that point. But over the next few days, she rapidly got worse. We'd find her lying on the floor next to her dishes or her litter box, and she peed on herself a few times--she was just too weak to do anything anymore. We called our vet and she came to our house to put the kitty to sleep. We held her between us, on her little bed, sitting in her favorite spot in front of the fireplace.

I think what made us delay was the fear that there was still something we could do to help her, or that we were giving up on her when she might have been able to get better. Now, of course, that doesn't make sense, but at the time we were both afraid we were ending her life prematurely.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-02-2009, 02:38 PM
kingpengvin kingpengvin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
GameHat, that is a sad ending for your story, the poor fellow didn't need to suffer that much. at least he didn't have to suffer longer.

I just wanted to ad a postscript for my story. I went to the vet steeling myself for doing what had to be done. Well I guess my cat wasn't quite ready to go yet, he made a show of meowing and purring being effectionate and active. It was enough that, despite his emaciated state and loss of 2 pounds in 3 months, the vet uninetentionally helped to change my mind.

He has had a repreive of 5 days, however today I am taking him in.
As of Monday he has deteriorated. I found him beside my bedroom door lying in a puddle of his own urine.

Last night he started having trouble getting up and now he staggars a little when he walks and his breathing has become heavy. He lies around by himself and although he still has an insatiable appetite it's obvious he's not doing well. I can no longer be selfish and keep him around.

It was amazing how quickly he turned about. This time around I have no doubts so I am at peace with my choice. I'll be with him 'till the end and I'll miss him greatly.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-02-2009, 02:54 PM
moonstarssun moonstarssun is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpengvin View Post
GameHat, that is a sad ending for your story, the poor fellow didn't need to suffer that much. at least he didn't have to suffer longer.

I just wanted to ad a postscript for my story. I went to the vet steeling myself for doing what had to be done. Well I guess my cat wasn't quite ready to go yet, he made a show of meowing and purring being effectionate and active. It was enough that, despite his emaciated state and loss of 2 pounds in 3 months, the vet uninetentionally helped to change my mind.

He has had a repreive of 5 days, however today I am taking him in.
As of Monday he has deteriorated. I found him beside my bedroom door lying in a puddle of his own urine.

Last night he started having trouble getting up and now he staggars a little when he walks and his breathing has become heavy. He lies around by himself and although he still has an insatiable appetite it's obvious he's not doing well. I can no longer be selfish and keep him around.

It was amazing how quickly he turned about. This time around I have no doubts so I am at peace with my choice. I'll be with him 'till the end and I'll miss him greatly.
I'm so sorry to hear that.

Our cat that I mentioned above kind of did the same thing. She'd rally when we'd take her to the vet and then would worsen when we got her home. Our vet said that sometimes they'll try to hide how sick they are when they feel vulnerable (like at the vet's office), or will sometimes put on a brave show for their owners.

Your poor little guy, and poor you too. It's a hard choice to make, but I'm glad you're going to do this thing for him. Hold him close so it's the last thing he's aware of--being loved and safe with his favorite person.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM
billfish678 billfish678 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Zappa View Post
One thing you can ask though: does the vet make housecalls for this sort of thing? When we finally had our cat euthanized, they did so. The cat loathed the car and loathed the vet, and we (and the vet) saw no reason to make him suffer through the stress of going to That Hated Place.
That IS SO much better if you can arrange it. You may have call around to find a vet who can/will do it. My sad story regarding this is about 3 months ago in the BBQ pit, titled something like "Fuck, here goes the cat". There might be some useful details in there regarding vet/last days issues.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 PM
kingpengvin kingpengvin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
well it is done. That was a horrible experience. His veins were so small that the vet had to try both legs for teh final needle. I stayed right through the bitter end. I even felt his skin go cold. tough drive home. I had a few drinks and now I have to deal with the empty hallway andfor the first time in 15 years or so him not pestering me for food when I wake up.

damn who'd think youn could feel so much sorrow for a stupid cat.
thanks to those who responded and I'msorry to have hijacked this thread....
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
GameHat GameHat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpengvin View Post
well it is done. That was a horrible experience. His veins were so small that the vet had to try both legs for teh final needle. I stayed right through the bitter end. I even felt his skin go cold. tough drive home. I had a few drinks and now I have to deal with the empty hallway andfor the first time in 15 years or so him not pestering me for food when I wake up.

damn who'd think youn could feel so much sorrow for a stupid cat.
thanks to those who responded and I'msorry to have hijacked this thread....
So sorry for your loss, Kingpengvin. It's hard to let a loved one go.

No thread hijack here. Kingpengvin, it's no consolation, but your kitty is at peace now. What matters is that you loved him until the end.

/raises a drink for loved pets that have gone

Last edited by GameHat; 12-02-2009 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-03-2009, 06:45 AM
Mikkel Mikkel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpengvin View Post
damn who'd think youn could feel so much sorrow for a stupid cat.
thanks to those who responded and I'msorry to have hijacked this thread....
It IS horrible, I hope you will find a new cat soon. It helps a lot. The new cat will never be the same but it will still be better than none.
When my old cat died I was so lucky that I got one of her great great grandchildren and she fit in right away. I still remember the wait (four months) as a very depressing time. I thought I saw the old cat all the time out of the corner of my eye and then remembered.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 12-03-2009, 01:30 PM
RickJay RickJay is online now
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 36,993
I just had to have my little cat Theodore put to sleep on Monday.

My wife had to drive home, because I couldn't have seen the road.

It sucks. It really does. But it was the right thing to do.
__________________
Providing useless posts since 1999!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
moonstarssun moonstarssun is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkel View Post
I thought I saw the old cat all the time out of the corner of my eye and then remembered.
I will still occasionally "see" one of our dear departed kitties out of the corner of my eye. The other night my husband and I were playing cards, and every time I'd glance into the kitchen, I'd swear I was seeing Roger, our late tuxedo cat, on the counter. It was a white bag next to our utensil holder that looked kind of like his markings, but it was a weird thing. Naughty boy, even his ghost insists on getting up on the counters.

kingpengvin, RickJay, I'm so sorry about your kitties. It's such a hard thing to do. But it's best for them to go out with dignity and without suffering, so thank you for loving them enough to do that incredibly hard thing.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-03-2009, 02:29 PM
kingpengvin kingpengvin is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Sorry to hear about that RickJ. It's rough. I'm glad you had someone with you.

I was driving home alone in the Rain. My worst moment was as I left the room with him still lying there. ( he was already gone for a while, I couldn't stay anymore and didn't want to watch them carry him out)

I had his carrier and a little girl asked me what was in it. All I could say was "nothing," and I left as quickly as I could and broke down in the car.

Moonstarsun, I think I know what you mean. This morning our last remaining cat, My wife's, was mewing for his food. I could have sworn I could hear my guy out there as well.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-03-2009, 05:47 PM
Any Other Name Any Other Name is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2007
Our dog had reached an age where he had more and more difficulty lifting his hindquarters. We'd help him up when he needed, we bathed him often, but he had more and more difficulty. One day I realized his vision had gotten to where he could hardly see, he was making his way around the house from memory. About the same time he just wasn't able to lift himself much at all. He had aged so much, and was a shadow of his former self. It was time.

Our family discussed it, kids and parents, and we all agreed it was time to let him go. Together, we took him to his vet. After he'd been given the shot, we all stayed with him, petting him, hugging him, reassuring him, till his eyes were closed and he was out. The kids left, and I stayed with him till he stopped breathing.

I was very proud of my kids that day. Relating the story later, I was shocked by how many people felt it was inappropriate for the kids to be there. They were all teens, they'd lost close family members before. He was as much a part of our family as any of us. We couldn't, wouldn't, leave a member of our family to die alone.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-03-2009, 09:19 PM
porcupine porcupine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
My sympathies to everyone in this thread.

I had to put my sweet old Norwegian Elkhound Gizmo to sleep 2 and a 1/2 weeks ago. He was my best buddy for 15 years. He's been losing a lot of mobility for a few months, and he got much worse in just his last few days. I still miss him horribly. My other dog Zilla makes this a little easier, but she's not my first dog and the best dog that I will ever have. I still see him out of the corner of my eye, and look to make sure I don't step on him when I get up in the middle of the night.

I've had three pets put to sleep in the last 3 years. I had my two littermate kitties put to sleep within two months of each other. They were 17. One had both kidney and heart problems, and the treatments contradict each other. The other had lymphoma.

A friend told me that it's better for the dogs sake to let them go two weeks early than 2 hours too late. I took comfort in that, and hope some of you might, too.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2017 Sun-Times Media, LLC.