Old 12-04-2009, 09:28 PM

Cool stuff that's gone (Plus: Cecil's column!)

Svobada's Nickelodeon Tavern- Bar and grill with antique amusment collection.

Riverview- Amusement park.

Kiddieland- Another amusement park near Stony and 95th.

The Pickle Barrel- Restaurant with peanut shells on the floor, sandwiches and burgers and the balloon twisting guy.

Tai Sam Yon- For years the top rated restaurant in Chicago.

Skeet Shooting on the Lakefront. Never did it, but it was fun to watch.

So, how about it? Who has fond memories of things no longer around Chicago?
Advertisements  
Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Chicago Savant

Lots of such reminiscence at the Forgotten Chicago forum.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:38 PM

Skate on State

The Berghoff (mostly gone)

Old Comisky

The Kiddieland on North Avenue in Melrose Park
Old 12-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

The Clark Theatre - showed double features of old movies, changing the bill every day. Sigh.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C K Dexter Haven View Post
The Clark Theatre - showed double features of old movies, changing the bill every day. Sigh.
I remember that. It was cheap, too.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:20 AM

There used to be lots of repertory movie theaters on the north side. But the advent of the VCR and the ubiquity of the video rental store (both gone now as well, ironically!) killed off nearly all of them. The Music Box is the only one remaining that I know of.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 12-07-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:58 PM

Adventureland in Addison.
My favorite memory there is riding the fire truck. The seats faced out one side, and each seat had its own little hose nozzle. As you rode past an old shack it would burst into flames, and you'd aim your hose to help put out the fire.

Cheesy, but it was great fun as a kid.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Maxwell Street on Sunday mornings!
Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 PM

Kiddieland!

Old Chicago in Bolingbrook.

The original, cheap Pasteur on Sheridan before it burned down without anyone, particularly Tuan, having anything to do with it.

Spaetzels and magic at Schulien's.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog View Post
Maxwell Street on Sunday mornings!
I was at Maxwell St. two days ago. I had a wonderful handmade quesadilla and picked up a telescope for ten bucks.

It's on Des Plaines now starting at Roosevelt and going north a few blocks.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Does anyone recall the Cafe 1999 bookstore up by Loyola University in Roger's Park? I want to say it was on the 6500 block next to the L stop. I remember it when I lived in the area in the late 1980s.

What was noteworthy about the bookstore portion (which was on the second floor of the stores there) was that the bookcases were not in rigid rows, but in a free-form set of curves and angles. I was trying to describe this to a friend who is a librarian, then tried to find pictures online, to no avail. Does anyone know of anything like that?
Old 12-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Where did the statue honoring Jack Brickhouse go? I used to pass it every week as I walk down Michigan Ave and now it's gone. The chrome moose is still there, as is the statue of American Gothic (with suitcases). What did they do with my childhood sports announcer (who was MUCH better than Harry Caray ever was, but that's another thread).

Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorigby View Post
Where did the statue honoring Jack Brickhouse go? I used to pass it every week as I walk down Michigan Ave and now it's gone. The chrome moose is still there, as is the statue of American Gothic (with suitcases). What did they do with my childhood sports announcer (who was MUCH better than Harry Caray ever was, but that's another thread).

Any ideas?
Removed for repairs. Have no fear: Jack will be Back.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...7783147.column
Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Marshall Field & Company

Minnie's (yeah, that's new, but still, that was a great restaurant my wife and I frequented a LOT. Always crowded, even during the worst of the poor economy.)

Chicago Stadium

Top Enchilada (a great Mexican restaurant I went to years ago in the Irving Park neighborhood)

Virgin Megastore (I know, not a Chicago oldie, but I had some good times there)

The Carson, Pirie, Scott & Company at State and Madison

Demon Dogs (never had a chance to go there before they closed)

The City of Chicago store by the Water Tower

Flat Sammie's in the same building (I went to that building many a time, as both a tourist and a Chicago resident, and the day I finally decided to eat there, it was gone!)

St. Michael's Church in Bucktown (where my mother went as a kid)
Old 12-14-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Me Ayudes Compadre View Post
Old Chicago in Bolingbrook.
I spent a couple years working there while I was in high school. What a great place for a teenager to work, really - anyone that did has some incredible memories.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:03 PM

Chicago Amphitheater (sp?). Bulls started there in the mid 60s. Chicago Auto Show, Outdoor Show and others before McCormick Place came to be. I graduated from high school there - De La Salle.

And while we're on south Halsted, the Stock Yard Inn.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 AM

How about those giant MAGIKIST signs? I was a kid in the back seat of my parents car when I saw them, so I don't even remember exactly where they were.......TRM
Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM

Man, Tim....that Magikist post made me think of the Entenman's factory along I-294. Still there, but...why do they no longer have the little animation on the message board?? I always loved that. Now the message board is just blank.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM

The Coral Theater

In Oak Lawn--at 95th and Cicero. It was built in the 50s during the giant fad for all things Hawaiian. As I child I thought it perfectly normal to walk from the parking lot through a Japanese style rock garden and into the Swiss chalet lobby. The area around the concession stand was Tudor half timber, but the theater itself was decorated with giant Tiki masks and a series of murals depicting the discover and settlement of Hawaii by the Polynesians.

Now I realize the place was just nuts.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:20 AM

Rose Records on Wabash (?), Field's (of course) and the smell from that candy/chocolate factory on one of the bridges (can't think which) which someone reported as pollution to the EPA and made them close down or change how they vented stuff.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

Cecil chimes in: http://chicago.straightdope.com/sdc20091217.php ... Congrats, Stan!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Rose Records on Wabash (?), Field's (of course) and the smell from that candy/chocolate factory on one of the bridges (can't think which) which someone reported as pollution to the EPA and made them close down or change how they vented stuff.
Blommer Chocolate, at 600 W Kinzie - I used to work near there, and for years I wondered why I often smelled chocolate while walking to and from the train station. When I finally found out, I went there and found that they had an outlet store.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:10 AM

Ceil said, about improving his financial wherewithal for a model train set-up:
Quote:
Ultimately it did, but by then my attention had drifted.
My brother-in-law tells a similar story. Saved all of his lawnmowing and paper route money, begged train parts, track, etc. exclusively as birthday and Christmas gifts, cleared the space in the basement, was finally ready to set it all up, and...

He discovered girls.

The stuff is still in his parents' basement and he likes knowing it's there.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:46 PM

One simple thing I miss hasn't been gone that long: the drive around the Planetarium. Occasionally after sunset I'd just drive there down LSD (or the Kennedy, depending on where I was living at the time), sit in my car for a while, then drive home. From the easternmost point, if you looked straight east over the lake, you could forget the city was behind you.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Does anybody remember a combination hobby shop/pet store/toy store in the Loop off State called (if memory serves) "Vaughn's"? As I recall, pets were on the first floor, and toys were on the 3rd floor. Excellent selection of imported metal soldiers and china dogs and horses. My brother and I spent lots of our allowance there.

I also recall the huge floor of toys at the old Marshall Fields which was always a successful bribe - we could go look around there after what seemed like hours spent on the floor of fabrics/sewing notions.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveg View Post
Chicago Amphitheater (sp?). Bulls started there in the mid 60s. Chicago Auto Show, Outdoor Show and others before McCormick Place came to be. I graduated from high school there - De La Salle.

And while we're on south Halsted, the Stock Yard Inn.
Back in '79, right after the tragedy in Cincinnati, the Who was scheduled to play at the Amphitheater. Lots of noise was made about canceling the show but it went on. Which rocked for me, I had second row center tickets. I couldn't hear for three days after, but it all seemed worth it at the time.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 PM

I went to my one and only Star Trek convention at the Chicago Amphitheater. On Halsted, right? I was 13 (1975).
Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. Mortiss View Post
Removed for repairs. Have no fear: Jack will be Back.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...7783147.column
Jack IS back and looks.... exactly the same as before they "repaired" him.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I went to my one and only Star Trek convention at the Chicago Amphitheater. On Halsted, right? I was 13 (1975).
Yep it was on Halsted.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:38 PM

Cool stuff that's gone

The catacombs at the Ivanhoe Theater and Restaurant on N. Clark

Augustana Hospital @ Dickens and Lincoln (where i was born)

Henrotin Hospital @ Clark and Oak

Roma's @ Sheffield & Webster

Lincoln & Belmont when it was a center for shopping

Sieben's brewery on N. Larrabee -- still remember the great root beer served with pretzels and mustard and sitting out in the beer garden with family.

Riverview rollerskating rink on W. Belmont

Rowland Home for Funerals @ W. Buena & N. Sheridan across from St. Mary of the Lake Parish

Great homes of old Chicago wealthy on the north side of W. Melrose east of Broadway. Can vividly recall playing in one of the homes before it was demolished in the 60's.

All of the Louis Sullivan designed buildings that were demolished over the years.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 AM

Math Igler's German restaurant, on Melrose off Lincoln Avenue. Home of the singing waiters!
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoumena View Post

Rowland Home for Funerals @ W. Buena & N. Sheridan across from St. Mary of the Lake Parish
I have to like somebody who lists hospitals and funeral homes among "Cool Stuff"!
Old 01-01-2010, 02:35 PM

A few more:

Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum in on Wells in Old Town
The funeral home on W. Belmont that was replaced by Ann Sather's restaurant (it is haunted)
Red Lion Pub on N. Lincoln
Great Expectations Bookstore on Foster Street in Evanston

Last edited by menoumena; 01-01-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
A few more:

Ripley's Believe It or Not Museum in on Wells in Old Town
The funeral home on W. Belmont that was replaced by Ann Sather's restaurant (it is haunted)
Red Lion Pub on N. Lincoln
Great Expectations Bookstore on Foster Street in Evanston
Is Red Lion definitely gone? I know they've been "closed for remodeling" a lot longer than anticipated, but I'm still holding out hope.

Another favorite that's been gone awhile: Zum Deutschen Eck on Southport........TRM

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 01-01-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:12 PM

The first time I visited Chicago with my parents, we stayed at the mag-mile Marriott which was right across from Disney Quest, a really nice video game arcade/experience much better than the likes of GameWorks or Dave & Busters. The next time I was in town, it was gone. I was sad.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
The first time I visited Chicago with my parents, we stayed at the mag-mile Marriott which was right across from Disney Quest, a really nice video game arcade/experience much better than the likes of GameWorks or Dave & Busters. The next time I was in town, it was gone. I was sad.
I think Nike now occupies what used to be the Disney Quest space.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:38 PM

Alas, the list of cool stuff that's gone continues to grow. Now it looks like The Pump Room as we know it is being morphed out of existence:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoekstra/2...swan_song.html
Old 01-13-2010, 07:52 PM

I also remember visiting the Rand & McNally store on Michigan Ave for a map of Paris and of London before my first trip over there. I like maps. That store is long gone, too.

And Kroch's & Bretano's was a great book store--quirkier than Borders or B&N by a long shot. <sigh>

We always looked for the Magikist sign so that we would know the exit for I-57* was coming up soon and we had to get over to the right or end up in Indiana (a fate worse than death!). It made a great landmark.

*I'm a southern suburb girl.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member

My wife and I both worked in Kroch's & Brentano's in Old Orchard in the early 70s. Sigh.

And I ditto the Magikist sign northbound with the Coca-Cola sign: it didn't mark an exit, but it was like a homing indicator.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:16 PM

Anybody remember Lytton's, a clothing store that featured "classic" clothing (like Talbot's used to or Brook's Bros does). I loved Lytton's....
Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
The catacombs at the Ivanhoe Theater and Restaurant on N. Clark

Roma's @ Sheffield & Webster

Lincoln & Belmont when it was a center for shopping

Sieben's brewery on N. Larrabee -- still remember the great root beer served with pretzels and mustard and sitting out in the beer garden with family.

Riverview rollerskating rink on W. Belmont

Great homes of old Chicago wealthy on the north side of W. Melrose east of Broadway. Can vividly recall playing in one of the homes before it was demolished in the 60's.

All of the Louis Sullivan designed buildings that were demolished over the years.
Roma's was classic Chicago. Having attended high school at Depaul Academy, I was a regular customer. Great spot for burgers and/or ice cream. Just around the corner from Roma's (south on Sheffield) was an Italian bakery. Memory serves, it outlasted Roma's. Anyone recall the name?

Last edited by SanDiegoTim; 01-20-2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:39 PM

It was called Toscana's Bakery. Mara Toscana, the daughter of the owners, was in my graduate English classes at DePaul. They closed when she married and went on to other endeavors.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:41 PM

oops sorry....her maiden name was Mara Tognieri!
Old 01-23-2010, 11:38 PM

And how could I forget...."Z" Frank! At least the sign is still there...
Old 03-01-2010, 03:11 AM

Zephyrs - some of my earliest childhood memories were going there with my big bro and pops and after eating a burger and a shake and/or sundae, having swordfights with the little tiny plastic swords they'd give you.

Main baseball diamond at River Park - Growing up, just as my dad did in the 50s, I played little league ball at River Park. From the age of 3 (t-ball!) till 14, every year, it was religion. I ended up playing varsity at Von after that. But it's a shame that the main diamond, is no longer there. The proper diamond, with the wooden backstop, facing NE, is no more. So much for my kids playing at that same diamond.

Demon Dogs - I saw this mentioned and just have to second that. When I was a teenager, I had major surgery and had an extended stay at Children's Memorial, and my friends and family bringing me those delicious dogs kept me sane and positive.

Sally's Stage! - I don't even know where to begin with the amount of fun times as kids we had there. Some of the most memorable birthday parties were there. If anybody doesn't remember, it was a grand old place where the waitresses were on rollerskates, there was a stage, and a pipe organ player, and pinball and video games, pizza, and even a mechanical bull!

Hobby Shop - Devon & Western - Much as Cecil described, it's a shame that these no longer exist. That particular one was where we'd go. So many models of cars, and trains, and baseball card packs were purchased there.

The old TB hospitals behind Peterson Park - Now you may be saying "well it's good they are gone! They were abandoned and boarded up!" I'm not totally disagreeing. They are now condos btw. But the thing is, is that as kids, they were cool. Sure it was dangerous (my friend once stepped on a rusty nail and had to get a tetnus shot) and unsafe. But as kids, nothing gave us such a rush as to sneak in behind loose boards and roam around inside. It was a sight, it was as if they left over night. Old equipment laid around next to stacks and stacks of files and chest x-rays (there were so many of those chest x-ray cards scattered everywhere, I still remember holding them in my hand.) Roaming those dark, dingy, haunted halls, was probably the closest thing I'll ever experience to being in a real life horror movie.

The Baskin Robins on Peterson & Bernard - This closed in the early 90s sometime, but if anybody remembers, it was run by a cute old French couple, and they had the whole place decked out in a Paris motif, right down to Perrier bottles with a flower in it on every table!

The Lincoln Village Theater - Which is on the site of the current Borders I believe, in later years was known as the "7-8-9." But to me, this was my childhood theater. The middle theater, the big one, held 900 patrons! It was huge. I still remember seeing movies such as Star Wars and E.T. there with my family when I was a kid.

Plaza Theater - Sure it was a dump, but we'd sneak into so many movies there as rowdy punk kids, it was so easy!

Irving's - On Kimball & Lincoln - still to this day, I will insist that they had the best cheddar burger I've ever tasted. No place can even closely compare to the cheddar burgers they served up.

Tastee Freeze - Foster & Kimball - The owner at it's end was cousins with Howie Mandell, and also had a record store next store (Rockin Reds), well once I actually had the pleasure of meeting Howie there when he stopped in.

Diversions - Ahhhh Diversions, the arcade of my childhood (Bunny Hutch couldn't even compare)

bub city - this place was great. it was a lettuce entertain crabshack by north and kingsbury, and we'd go and order crab there and smash them to bits with our wooden mallets.

Sorry for the long winded reply! There's tons more I'm sure we all can think of too!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:06 AM

Rigby and lurk -- you mentioned that chocolate aroma...

Well...in addition to my full-time job, I have a part-time job (with the same company) in which I occasionally do some teaching, and I'm often placed at UIC. It's literally right down the street from where my day job is (a mile down the street, but still, down the street nonetheless), and I often walk to UIC afterwards. And darned if almost every time I go there I smell a chocolate aroma as I cross the bridge and approach UIC. It's especially strong at around 9:30, 10:00 at night when I head to the Blue Line...always makes me want to stop and get a damn sundae...thank God I don't know where to get one in that area.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I missed this when it was posted (I was in Chicago for Christmas) but I was at a Star Trek Convention in Chicago late August 1975, but it was at the Hilton on south Michigan.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:28 AM

Chances R - Peanuts on the floor. "Hyde Park"
5th Army Hqtrs. - Now Twin Towers (where Hydy Park Blvd becomes 51st.
Lettuce Entertain You & the rest of the chain. Like "R J Grunts" gone - I think.

Riverview- Amusement park.

Kiddieland- Another amusement park near Stony and 95th.

The Pickle Barrel- Restaurant with peanut shells on the floor, sandwiches and burgers and the balloon twisting guy.

Tai Sam Yon- For years the top rated restaurant in Chicago.

Skeet Shooting on the Lakefront. Never did it, but it was fun to watch.

So, how about it? Who has fond memories of things no longer around Chicago?[/QUOTE]
Old 03-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Gormless Wienie
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyecee View Post
Lettuce Entertain You & the rest of the chain. Like "R J Grunts" gone - I think.
That'll be a surprise to the many people who patronize LEYE establishments, including:

http://www.rjgruntschicago.com/

Warning - frigging thing has sound.
Old 03-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Yes, RJ Grunts is still there, but many fine Lettuce establishments are gone. Off the top of my head, there's Lawrence of Oregano, Tucci Benucch, Jonathan Livingston Seafood, and Great Gritsby's.