The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-11-2009, 10:01 AM
HeyHomie HeyHomie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 8,232
Ingestion of Dish Soap

What happens if dish soap (say, Dawn™) gets in your mouth, and/or if you swallow it?

The reason I ask: I was thinking the other day about how dish soap is made to dissolve oils, and how capsaicin from hot peppers is essentially an oil; ergo, swishing out one's mouth with dish soap might "cure" one of burning hot-pepper mouth.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM
Wile E Wile E is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
I am not a toxicologist but I have had to field a lot of "my dog ate this" questions and look up a lot of things. IIRC soap isn't toxic, that may depend on how much you ingest though, but it is a laxative.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2009, 10:31 AM
unclelem unclelem is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie View Post
What happens if dish soap (say, Dawn™) gets in your mouth, and/or if you swallow it?

The reason I ask: I was thinking the other day about how dish soap is made to dissolve oils, and how capsaicin from hot peppers is essentially an oil; ergo, swishing out one's mouth with dish soap might "cure" one of burning hot-pepper mouth.

You get the trots and probably some cramping. Not pleasant at all.

And for future reference the cure for capsaicin is *milk* or milk products.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
HeyHomie HeyHomie is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Springfield, IL
Posts: 8,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclelem View Post
And for future reference the cure for capsaicin is *milk* or milk products.
Yes, but it's a temporary cure.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
shiftless shiftless is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,892
My dad once put a bunch of Tide (laundry soap) into a cheesecake by mistake. We all raved about how good it was and nobody had any ill effects - although my mom claims to have dreamed about blowing soap bubbles all night.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2009, 12:12 PM
BrandonR BrandonR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftless View Post
My dad once put a bunch of Tide (laundry soap) into a cheesecake by mistake.
How does one accidentally put laundry detergent into a cheesecake?! Sounds to me like his plan to covertly kill you and your mother failed...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
shiftless shiftless is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
How does one accidentally put laundry detergent into a cheesecake?! Sounds to me like his plan to covertly kill you and your mother failed...
You mean his tasty plan failed. He claims he wasn't looking and just grabbed the box and started poring. Even at the time I thought it sounded suspicious and now the dopers agree with me. Maybe I should have called the police on my dad .... but he does make some good desserts, so it would have been a tough call.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:21 PM
BrandonR BrandonR is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Your dad wouldn't happen to be named Mr. Magoo would he? That's about the only scenario I can think of where someone would grab a box of laundry detergent (seemingly mixed in with baking ingredients) and use it in a dessert without questioning its look or smell (or vibrant, orange box).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2009, 02:28 PM
shiftless shiftless is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonR View Post
Your dad wouldn't happen to be named Mr. Magoo would he? That's about the only scenario I can think of where someone would grab a box of laundry detergent (seemingly mixed in with baking ingredients) and use it in a dessert without questioning its look or smell (or vibrant, orange box).
A good question. Does seem odd doesn't it. I'll have bring this old family story up with mom as dad's no longer with us. But in our defense you have to remember that we were eating cheesecake, and not just any cheesecake - dad made the best.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-11-2009, 07:39 PM
j_sum1 j_sum1 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
And I read the title as "Ingestion of soap dish". Quite a different proposition.

Carry on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.