The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Mundane Pointless Stuff I Must Share (MPSIMS)

Old 01-04-2010, 04:35 PM

Anyone else use baby/talcum powder on themselves after a shower?

I just realized that I'm the only one in the house who uses this stuff. So I asked around, none of my friends do it either. Is this abnormal of me?

For me, I don't like the slightly wet feeling I get after a shower. I don't like how my skin feels rubbing up against clothes like that. I used to just towel dry, then I moved up to towel and hair dryer dry, but it still wasn't dry enough, especially for...ahem...certain areas.

Somehow I stumbled on to using this after I dry myself and it feels great. I've been doing it ever since. Does anyone do this? Should I be worried about some kind of psychological infantilization illness when I do this? Because it feels good and I don't plan on stopping, ever
Advertisements  
Old 01-04-2010, 07:13 PM

I do that during the summer. I live in Dallas. After my son was born, my wife started buying the lavender scented kind. I didn't notice until my coworkers starting giving me funny looks.

Last edited by El Nene; 01-04-2010 at 07:13 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Yes, I do, in all of the areas that tend to have moisture problems. I've been doing it since the 1970's. For a while in the '80's there was some kind of scare about talc, and people were urged to switch to cornstarch powder. I tried it, but never liked it as much as talc, so I went back. Shortly thereafter, there was some kind of debunking of the dangers of talc thing, so I haven't really worried about it since.

I also have some problems with fungal infections, and doctors have recommended using talc as a good way to prevent them. Unfortunately, it never seemed to work for me, but I still like using it because it makes me feel clean and fresh.

I don't know your gender, but I wouldn't worry about infantilization. All of the major beauty lines for women include powder -- generally if you can buy a particular scent in a perfume and body lotion, you can also get the body powder, and these are intended for fully grown women.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Shouting Grasshopper

I used Shower to Shower many years ago. I stopped using it because the excess floated around the bathroom and seemed to coat everything after awhile.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:39 PM

After a shower on a humid summer day, yes, because otherwise I would feel kind of sweaty when I get dressed.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:44 PM

I love dousing myself with Gold Bond Extra Strength Medicated Powder.
It is wild and refreshing.
Be careful for the nether areas.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:57 PM

I like to dab some in the pits and on the junk after a shower. Especially in hotter weather. Use it in my shoes too.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:17 PM

I've never taken a survey, but I think most people use talcum powder after a shower, at least on their body folds, or feet, before pulling on socks. Why wouldn't they? The drugstore shelves are full of containers of powders, they wouldn't sell it if people didn't buy it. Everyone in my house uses it. (Though I know a lot of people who sprinkle it in their boots and shoes, the cornstarch variety is good for that, to absorb moisture and cut down on food odor.) For heavens sakes, stop worrying it isn't macho or something, I know an ex-Marine who goes through a full container of Johnson's baby powder a month.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:35 PM

On hot, sweaty days, I do. If I'm working out, I might. Or if I don't have time to air dry (I love to air dry), I might put it on my nether regions.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Charter Member

Yes, every day. I also use deodorant under my (ahem) large, saggy boobs. Once upon a time, I got a heat rash under my tits and I was miserable. Ever since then, I powder the girls, and the nether bits. And the crack of my ass!

Keeps me much drier. At my age, every day is a hot, sweaty day. (O! How I hate thee, menopause.)

Last edited by Dolores Reborn; 01-04-2010 at 08:44 PM..
Old 01-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Creature of the Night

Quote:
I've never taken a survey, but I think most people use talcum powder after a shower, at least on their body folds, or feet, before pulling on socks. Why wouldn't they?
I've never done this. I've only used scented talc as a young teen. If I'm having a problem with a fungus infection, I do use powder or cream to cure it, but I prefer the cream.

My husband does powder himself after every shower. He says it prevents chafing.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoilerVirgin View Post
I don't know your gender, but I wouldn't worry about infantilization. All of the major beauty lines for women include powder -- generally if you can buy a particular scent in a perfume and body lotion, you can also get the body powder, and these are intended for fully grown women.
Well I'm a guy but I hear what you're saying: buy the non-perfumed kind! I basically just stick to the baby powder by Johnson & Johnson. Smooth enough for a baby's butt, and my dimpled ass
Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty-six View Post
MrAru likes gold bond also, I am not so thrilled with powder, though I do have some with glittery bits in it for fancy occasions. It smells like opium perfume, and I also have an opium scented lotion and cologne. I think it gets overpowering when I use more than one of the items. I don't like huge perfume stinks.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Huh. Talc is all over the floor of the men's locker room at the University of Minnesota, I think it's more common than some think. I use it everyday, especially since I'm a regular bike commuter.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 PM

If I haven't time to wash my hair, I'll throw some powder on my bangs and give them a fluff. Too much is not good, though!
Old 01-04-2010, 11:29 PM

I can't think of the last time I saw it in someone's medicine cabinet (what?). I used it briefly as a teen, all over after showetring. Stopped when it was linked to ovarian cancer. Upon Googling I see that the connection may not be for sure, but it's been researched enough to give me pause.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 AM

Mmmmm, I love the smell of J&J baby powder. Maybe that makes me weird.

I can't say I've ever thought of using it after showers, but I used it quite a bit when I had to wrap my ankles after ankle sprains. It prevented chafing from the wraps. I used Vetrap, which provides more support than the Ace bandages from CVS but doesn't breathe as well.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
F I used to just towel dry, then I moved up to towel and hair dryer dry, but it still wasn't dry enough, especially for...ahem...certain areas.
I'm curious. Using a towel to dry yourself isn't enough so you use a hair dryer?
Old 01-05-2010, 03:13 AM

I've seen women in the gym use the hair dryer on their lady bits.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 AM
Creature of the Night

A hair dryer is useful to dry hair anywhere it happens to be. Some people have quite a pubic bush, and just toweldrying isn't enough.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:20 AM

My boyfriend uses it to excess. It looks like an exploding coke party palace in his bathroom. I use it on my 5 y/o son after bathing. I dry him with a towel but he still feels damp (too much softener in the towels?) so I sprinkle powder on him, especially the arm pits. He loves sprinkling it into his underwear and fluffing it so the cloud comes out.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM

I never use powder, maybe because I just never got into the habit. I can see the point of using it after a shower but the idea of damp clumps of powder stuck in my crevasses is kind of off putting. A lot people use it in my gym locker room, mostly feet and crotches it seems, and an occasional person will abuse the powder so much that there are complaints. Dust clouds and large white patches on the floor are not uncommon. I have to say, it's a little gross to have to stand or sit in someone else's powder residue.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:18 PM

In the summer, yes sometimes.

In the winter - NO WAY! It's very, very dry here.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelliBean View Post
My boyfriend uses it to excess. It looks like an exploding coke party palace in his bathroom.
This made me laugh and laugh

Last edited by Sleeps With Butterflies; 01-05-2010 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: messed up mah coding
Old 01-05-2010, 02:35 PM

Not after a shower usually, but when I'm getting dressed if it's going to be a sweaty day.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:23 PM

I don't use it, and we don't have any in the house, so I know Boy From Mars and Baby From Mars don't either.

Points against it - I don't like the 'creaky' feeling of it on my hands after use, no matter how careful you are you end up with marks on clothing after, and I'd rather moisturise after showering. I know it's not recommended for use around babies either - danger of inhaling. We use Badger Balm instead.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps With Butterflies View Post
This made me laugh and laugh
I laughed too, until I realized I was snorting ass powder off the tile instead of sweet, sweet Columbian cha cha happies.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty-six View Post
I keep coming back and reading this when I need a good laugh!
Old 01-06-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolores Reborn View Post
Yes, every day. I also use deodorant under my (ahem) large, saggy boobs.
I did this ONCE. I got such a rash under my boobs from the deodorant. I will never ever ever do that again.

Now powder - that I will do. I generally only do it when it's really hot and muggy because it's so hard to completely dry under the boobs when the air is muggy.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Only during the summer. I haven't in months.

I also use a hairdryer on cool to dry the neither regions. SO didn't know what all the fuss was about till I got him to try it. He too, is a convert - also only in the summer months.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I've never taken a survey, but I think most people use talcum powder after a shower, at least on their body folds, or feet, before pulling on socks
I think you should do this poll. I doubt more than 10% of people do.

I don't. I don't like it, and talcum powder has been linked to ovarian cancer.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM

I never once used it in my life until about a year ago. I go to the gym at lunch and I started applying J&J baby powder to my pits, chest and crotchular area before getting dressed. Also, every now and then I'll use it at home when I think about it, when I'm going commando. When you shave your pubes, there's a tendency for things down below to get... sort of sticky. A nice sprinkle of J&J addresses that but quick.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondebear View Post
I used Shower to Shower many years ago. I stopped using it because the excess floated around the bathroom and seemed to coat everything after awhile.
For those who use powder regularly, how do you avoid the above problem? In theory I'd love to use powder after every shower but the time or two I tried it I ended up with white powder coated floors and clothing. It isn't like lotion that you can control how much and where it dispenses, so HOW do you control the mess while applying?

It smells so nice and feels so soft I'd love to know how to use it with less mess.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Powder puff.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittenblue View Post
Powder puff.
I guess that never dawned on me as I was thinking of the containers with sprinkle type dispensers on top. I may just splurge for the puff-applied type. Thank you.

Last edited by Stillwell Angel; 01-09-2010 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: cause puff is not spelled "pff"
Old 01-10-2010, 05:17 AM

I use it when I dance Argentian Tango.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:04 AM

My barber got me interested in Clubman Body Talc over 25 years ago. I love the smell and use it daily on my face and body.

http://www.classicshaving.com/i/Pina...TalcFinest.jpg

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-10-2010 at 09:05 AM..
Old 01-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Charter Member

Anyone else use it before a shower?
Old 01-10-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwell Angel View Post
For those who use powder regularly, how do you avoid the above problem? In theory I'd love to use powder after every shower but the time or two I tried it I ended up with white powder coated floors and clothing. It isn't like lotion that you can control how much and where it dispenses, so HOW do you control the mess while applying?

It smells so nice and feels so soft I'd love to know how to use it with less mess.
I've heard you can vacuum it up off surfaces with a Dustbuster. It's a nuisance when it settles on jars and bottles on the bathroom shelves. My housekeeping standards must be low, I just sweep it up off the floor before cleaning the bathroom and give the jars and bottles a quick swipe once a week. It's not like we have 'outside' people traipsing in and out of our bathroom three times a day.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwell Angel View Post

I step in to the shower stall to apply it. The moisture keeps the dust down as well as the door. It rinses down the drain easily the next day.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salinqmind View Post
I've never taken a survey, but I think most people use talcum powder after a shower...
I've never done so, and get a bit of a reaction from the concept. It's something my brain and nose immediately associate with babies and diapers, or old powdered wigs and nursing homes. It just may be because I've never had rash or chafing issues and never felt the need.

Mrs Gargoyle is the same, doesn't use it, and the accumulated post-sweaty powder gunk that results is worse than just sweat alone.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:43 PM

In a child care class years ago, the teacher told us never to use baby powder on a baby, and strongly recommended not even having it in the house. Apparently, the very fine granules cause permanent lung problems in children. She said that you shouldn't even apply it to yourself if there are children in the same room. I always wondered if this was really true.
Old 01-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeps With Butterflies View Post
I'm curious. Using a towel to dry yourself isn't enough so you use a hair dryer?
Umm....yeah. Hey, it's either this or shave it all off! And that hurts when it's growing back! So I've heard...
Old 01-11-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseCarmen View Post
I step in to the shower stall to apply it. The moisture keeps the dust down as well as the door. It rinses down the drain easily the next day.
Well, another moment for me. I guess I need to think outside the box once in awhile. I hate it when the answer is so simple you feel like an idiot for not thinking of it!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Charter Member

"You imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!"

-- Stewie Griffin