The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 05-20-2010, 12:09 PM

What kind of gift should you give your bridesmaids?

For my wedding in August I have 2 bridesmaids (co-matrons of honor actually) who have been wonderful with the wedding. They've planned a kick-ass bachelorette party and helped get discounted airfare for many of the guests, not to mention all the legwork they've done in finding salons and other things for the wedding weekend. I know that etiquette dictates that I need to give them each a gift and I am more than happy to do that but I cannot for the life of me think of anything to give them. Oriental Trading Company keeps sending me magazines full of personalized crap (get a tiny mirror with your bridesmaid's initials engraved on the back! Or how about a flask? Did you think about a personalized flask? etc.) but none of it seems like it would be useful or appropriate.

Ladies, what did you get your bridesmaids at your wedding? Or for those of you who have been bridesmaids in the past what kind of gift were you given? Did you use and enjoy those gifts or were they a waste of money?
Advertisements  
Old 05-20-2010, 12:14 PM

A glass mug with an etching of generic bride&groom, names of B&G and date of wedding. To the trash the next time I moved. But she also paid for the bridesmaid dress, which I obviously appreciated more.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:15 PM

Give them a gift certificate for massage or mani/pedi, to be used after the wedding.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:22 PM

Well, my wedding was many years ago, but I gave them each a necklace that went with the dress they wore for my wedding. It was something they could wear after the event. I couldn't afford to buy their dresses.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie View Post
A glass mug with an etching of generic bride&groom, names of B&G and date of wedding. To the trash the next time I moved. But she also paid for the bridesmaid dress, which I obviously appreciated more.
I'd bet $100 that mug came from Oriental Trading Company or another similar company.

The dresses are actually a funny story. I told them to wear whatever they want as long as it is blue. I didn't care if it matched or had patterns or anything, my only requirement is that the dress needs to be blue. Turns out they both already have matching blue dresses that they had purchased a couple of years ago so they are all set for the dress situation! I would have probably bought their dresses otherwise.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:30 PM
And Finn The Human
Charter Member

I think I got a small jewelry box when I was a bridesmaid. It was sort of

For my brother's wedding, I wasn't in the party but I got the same gift as the bridesmaids. It was a nice crocheted pashmina. I have no use for such a thing but it was cooler than the jewelry box.

My brother got his groomsmen these awesome 5x7 prints from a collection at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. There were only, like, 10 different musicians available but my bro was able to find one for each groomsman that fit his tastes perfectly. I thought that was the coolest bridal party gift ever. Something they can enjoy & display, with no obvious connection to the event other than remembering where it came from.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 PM

I got them personalized wine glasses (with their names engraved), tied with a ribbon and thank-you note. That went for every member of the bridal party, not just the women.

Last edited by Spice Weasel; 05-20-2010 at 12:32 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Go Tribe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOne View Post
Well, my wedding was many years ago, but I gave them each a necklace that went with the dress they wore for my wedding. It was something they could wear after the event. I couldn't afford to buy their dresses.
I wear an amethyst pendant that was my grandfather's watch fob. It is my most precious possession, and of course I wore it on my wedding day. I got my matron of honor and her daughter, who was flower girl, amethyst pendants to wear with their (purple and pink, respectively) dresses.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:50 PM

My friend gave me a gift certificate to a restaurant. It was really nice because they found out the name of a restaurant I liked in my city, rather than just giving one for a generic nationwide chain. I really appreciated it.

I also got earrings and a necklace, to match the other bridesmaids. They're not really my style but I could wear them again.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 PM

Do not, do NOT, give them what one bride gave me - okay, so it's a kit. And in the kit is a necklace with a little cage, and some instructions, and a can.

In the can is a DEAD MOLLUSC, from which you get to pry a pearl.

The color of the pearl tells your fortune!

Yeah. And it's the rehearsal dinner, of course, so we're all dressed up and trying to autopsy this deceased... thing without getting rancid seawater on our clothes. Yesterday I was going through my jewelry box getting rid of stuff and found that necklace and laughed and laughed. (Kept it - how couldn't I?)

The men got flasks. With good scotch in them. God, we were pissed. (Keep in mind, you have to act like you're all thrilled about Oscar the Oyster because the bride's right there and she thinks it's an adorable present and of course you're expected to wear the necklace to the wedding.)

Last edited by Zsofia; 05-20-2010 at 12:54 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 01:12 PM

Bridesmaid on 2 separate occasions.

First, at my cousin's wedding. She gave us each a huge (approximately 3") , inexpensive locket that was not in my taste. I only wore it on the day of the wedding and only then because the other bridesmaids wanted to.

Other was a friend's wedding. Jewelry as well. A 24K gold charm with our first name in script. We put them on our own chains to wear on the wedding day. Never wore it again because, while it is really a nice piece of jewelry (as opposed to the piece of crap from my cousin in the previous wedding), I don't care to wear jewelry (or anything else for that matter) that has my name or even initial but they were in style at the time and actually was a nice gift.

I can't even think of what I would want as a remembrance of the day so as far as suggestions, I've got nothing..... Sorry. Frankly, it's the bride & groom's big day; not mine. I don't really need anything to remember it. I'm standing up for them out of friendship. Any trinket with the date engraved, etc. will just wind up in the trash eventually.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM

I gave my bridesmaids old (late 1800s) books of fairy tales.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:41 PM

I got each of my bridesmaids an inexpensive handbag (this is incredibly easy in NYC) and put fun, inexpensive items in them such as:
-bars of chocolate, minibottles of wine, compact mirrors, an I [heart] NY tshirt, a pashmina shawl coordinating with their dress and silver earings matching their dress. I accumulated the items over several months of looking out for things that were cool and cheap.

Then for each person I added something for their dependents (kids books for the one with kids, pet toys for the ones with pets), a gift relevant to what they do (like drafting pens and pencils for my friend who is a scenic designer), then a gift cert - either for spa services or a reputable sex toy retailer, based on my knowledge of their preferences

Finally into each bag I added a long, personal letter telling each why they were so important to me and how much I valued their friendship.

I had so much fun putting the bags together and watching them each uncover their goodies. If you can believe it I only spent about $60 per, with most of that going to the GCs. (I spent more on my MOH, but used credit card points to buy the spa gift cert).

Last edited by Hello Again; 05-20-2010 at 01:43 PM..
Old 05-20-2010, 02:06 PM

I have been given:

1. jewelry to wear with the dress (this was 10 years ago, I think the whole "fun" gift tradition is recent)
2. jewelry to wear with the dress, plus a makeup kit and a "girl's" pocket knife (with nail file, scissors, etc -- it's was fun gift, she knows girls can use real pocket knifes).
3. just the jewelry, but she gave use Bath&Body Works gifts at the shower and bachelorette, as a thank-you for for planning, helping out, etc. After the wedding she also sent me a print of "Me and Bride" from the professional photos, and I thought this was really nice touch -- it was a photo of just the two of us, it was nice to know that she felt it was worth sharing.

None of this stuff is among my most priced possessions (except maybe the photo), but I thought they were all nice gifts. The photo is the only one I'd consider a "keepsake". If one wanted to give something besides a memento then the restaurant gift card is probably my favorite of the ideas mentioned here.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post
I got each of my bridesmaids an inexpensive handbag (this is incredibly easy in NYC) and put fun, inexpensive items in them such as:
-bars of chocolate, minibottles of wine, compact mirrors, an I [heart] NY tshirt, a pashmina shawl coordinating with their dress and silver earings matching their dress. I accumulated the items over several months of looking out for things that were cool and cheap.

Then for each person I added something for their dependents (kids books for the one with kids, pet toys for the ones with pets), a gift relevant to what they do (like drafting pens and pencils for my friend who is a scenic designer), then a gift cert - either for spa services or a reputable sex toy retailer, based on my knowledge of their preferences

Finally into each bag I added a long, personal letter telling each why they were so important to me and how much I valued their friendship.

I had so much fun putting the bags together and watching them each uncover their goodies. If you can believe it I only spent about $60 per, with most of that going to the GCs. (I spent more on my MOH, but used credit card points to buy the spa gift cert).
This is awesome. Good job.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbth View Post
Ladies, what did you get your bridesmaids at your wedding? Or for those of you who have been bridesmaids in the past what kind of gift were you given? Did you use and enjoy those gifts or were they a waste of money?
Jewelry to wear at the wedding that has since been appropriate in non-wedding situations (or in other words, it was not dyed to match the bridesmaid's dress, nor was it stamped with the Bride & Groom's initials.)
I have worn it since and when I do, I remember when I first wore it and send a good thought their way rather than looking at something and wondering "What the hell was Jane thinking?"
Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 PM

I gave my MOH a quilt I hand made for her in her favorite colours and my brides maid a hand knitted shawl I made in a pattern she had admired.

For the best man and groomsman we commisioned a local artist to do a personalized piece of art for each of them. We were able to get a good price as he also did a custom piece of art for each wedding guest as a wedding favour.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:52 PM

In both weddings I was in, I received jewelry to be worn at the wedding. In the more recent wedding, the necklace was actually made by the bride. I still wear both pieces.

YMMV depending on the combination of your taste, your bridesmaids' tastes, and what will coordinate with the dresses vs. what they normally wear or what they wear when they dress up.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarinth View Post
Jewelry to wear at the wedding that has since been appropriate in non-wedding situations (or in other words, it was not dyed to match the bridesmaid's dress, nor was it stamped with the Bride & Groom's initials.)
I have worn it since and when I do, I remember when I first wore it and send a good thought their way rather than looking at something and wondering "What the hell was Jane thinking?"
Yeah, probably because you didn't have to dig it out of some animal's corpse.

What, me still bitter? (It's been more than a decade.)
Old 05-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Well, my wife's bridesmaid got the best man.

I'm not sure that counts.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

hm, so far I have gotten:

~engraved goblet. it broke on the trip home.
~charm bracelet that I never wear
~earrings - cant wear them. they are the tiny little 20 ga wires and I have 12 ga holes in my ears. They both cut me, and look absurd.
~really cool necklace with the main bead a handmade glass millefiore bead made by the bride. Way spiffy - it is threaded onto some sort of braided silk cord, and bracketed by 2 smaller carved jade beads from china.
~a bottle of very expensive ice wine from germany. It was yummy.
~card to expensive restaurant in home town. was yummy indirectly.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post

For keeps, or just one night?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:21 PM

Wife just got a jade bracelet from Tiffany's for being the maid of honor. Our bridesmaids got little bird statuettes (went with our wedding theme) and necklaces that went with the dresses.

My groomsmen got flasks with personalized messages from me inscribed on them, filled with their tipple of choice.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Charter Member

I was a bridesmaid last year and I received a necklace and a monogrammed fluffy bathrobe, both of which were really nice.

I brought my bridesmaids for a manicure the day before the wedding, and gave each girl a compact mirror designed by a local artist, with their names engraved on the backs. My sister, the maid of honor, also got a double photo frame, with a cute childhood pic of us on one side and a blank space on the other, for a photo of us on the big day. I was especially touched when she insisted on trying to recreate the same childhood pose for the "grownup" half of the frame.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:24 AM

The best gift is something they want, but would never buy for themselves.

So to that end the only logical choice is the 18"DHIBJD.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan View Post

I was going to jokingly say "wedding sex", but DAMN! WAY to Go Mrs. Alessan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post

I nominate this be included in the voting for best post of 2010.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:28 AM

I got my bridesmaid a necklace that went with her dress but that would be suitable to wear at other times - she tells me she's been complimented on it several times. My mum paid for the dress itself as part of her contribution to the wedding.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

In one wedding, I got a simple gold bracelet. Haven't worn it since, because I am so not a bracelet person. In my mind, this seems like a better present from a very young bride than from an older one, although it was no where near as bad as Zsofia's present.

More distinctive jewelry is at least an ok gift for any bride, especially if the bridesmaids actually like jewelry.

In the other, I got a t-shirt which said "I was in So and So's wedding and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" which I loved and still wear. And a trinket from the bride's recent travels.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Scud View Post
For keeps, or just one night?
For about four months.

He took her virginity and broke her heart, so all in all, it was kind of a mixed gift.

Last edited by Alessan; 05-21-2010 at 07:02 AM..
Old 05-21-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra View Post

You are the King of Wrong today, you know that?

Old 05-21-2010, 08:27 AM

It's a lifetime appointment.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruvqan View Post

~earrings - cant wear them. they are the tiny little 20 ga wires and I have 12 ga holes in my ears. They both cut me, and look absurd.
You could get eyelets to put in your holes, and then hang the wires from inside them. I love that look.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:13 AM

I gave my (one) bridesmaid a necklace that matched her dress and was also appropriate for other occasions.

I have been given jewelry, most of it can be worn again.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:36 AM

I've only been involved in one weding as a member of the pary (my own). The Coach outlet was halfway between our house and my sister's school, so she stopped there on one trip, and picked up matching Coatch wristlets (Traditional brown for the bridesmaids, black for my sister, the maid of honor, since she already had a brown one). I included a note written on my wedding stationary to each of them about how much they mean to me, how I enjoyed spending time with them, blah, blah, blah. I know all four of them use theirs frequently - my sister uses hers as intended, the other three use them as wallets in larger purses.

I think that's the biggest thing - giving something that the recipient will enjoy. Sure, it's great for you to give them something with your initials or whatever on it, but I know my sister-in-law has told me on a couple occasions that, after a long day, she's pulled that wallet out and thought of my mom getting less-than-sober at the rehersal, and it's made her smile. Or the time my sister got off the plane on her fourth-business-trip-in-a-row, and someone at the coffee shop complemented her purse, and she could just smile and say "Yeah, my sister loves me."

I love the idea from upthread of a purse filled with goodies - cheap, fun, things that they'll enjoy for months or years to come. How thoughtful and enjoyable!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:56 AM

I only had my best friend as my MOH, no other attendants. She and her husband, and I and my husband, went to Vegas for 4 days about a month after the wedding. I gave her $500 in cash to gamble with.

I have been in several weddings:
1) my sister's... don't think i got a gift, but i was a kid.
2) my sister in law... awful gold dresses with rhinestones... she gave us pens. seriously.
3) friend from college... embroidered tote bags (like the ones you take to the beach) AWESOME
4) friend from college... 4"x5" Coach clutch... awesome, and still use it
5) friend from law school... gift certs to salon... very nice
6) best friend since childhood (i was MOH)... beautiful Tiffany bracelet. Still wear it every day.
7) friend from college (i was MOH)... jewelry for wedding day
Old 05-21-2010, 11:04 AM

It should be something that shows you actually thought about them and what they would enjoy having and using, and it should be something that, if you miss that mark terribly, they have the option to return it. I've only been in two weddings aside from my own, and both times the bridesmaid gift left me wondering if the bride had ever, you know, actually met me before.

In one case it was a necklace to wear with the dress--a silver heart about the size of the circle made when you put your thumb and forefinger together, completely encrusted with big rhinestones. I did wear it once after the wedding, just so that if she asked I could honestly answer in the affirmative, but only the once. And I cleared it out in a box of things for Goodwill as soon as I felt I decently could.

The other gift was an engraved keychain out of a collection of such things in the wedding colors. I have not, and had not, carried any type of key chain other than the wallet type for years, nor am I really a purple glitter butterfly sort of girl.

Last edited by CrazyCatLady; 05-21-2010 at 11:06 AM..
Old 05-21-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again View Post

So far I think that this is the way I'm going to go with the bridesmaid gifts. I was thinking getting them each a cute handbag and putting stuff in it that works with the wedding. Since I am getting married in Vegas I could toss in some sunblock and a map of the strip along with some cute sunglasses. I was thinking possibly a manicure set and some emergency bobby pins/safety pins as well. What else could I put in the bags that would be fun and memorable?
Old 05-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsofia View Post
Do not, do NOT, give them what one bride gave me - okay, so it's a kit. And in the kit is a necklace with a little cage, and some instructions, and a can.

Yeah. And it's the rehearsal dinner, of course, so we're all dressed up and trying to autopsy this deceased... thing without getting rancid seawater on our clothes. Yesterday I was going through my jewelry box getting rid of stuff and found that necklace and laughed and laughed. (Kept it - how couldn't I?)

The men got flasks. With good scotch in them. God, we were pissed. (Keep in mind, you have to act like you're all thrilled about Oscar the Oyster because the bride's right there and she thinks it's an adorable present and of course you're expected to wear the necklace to the wedding.)

You make it sound like the most awful gift idea in the world. I think it's a totally cute, if weird, idea. I'd love it if I got one of those.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:

. . . I always do those things when I'm in Hawaii. I think they are cool as shit. . .

She must have gotten bad ones, because honestly, whenever I've done it, you just pop open the oyster with a little hucker thing and out falls the pearl.

Last edited by DiosaBellissima; 05-21-2010 at 02:14 PM..
Old 05-21-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
So far I think that this is the way I'm going to go with the bridesmaid gifts. I was thinking getting them each a cute handbag and putting stuff in it that works with the wedding. Since I am getting married in Vegas I could toss in some sunblock and a map of the strip along with some cute sunglasses. I was thinking possibly a manicure set and some emergency bobby pins/safety pins as well. What else could I put in the bags that would be fun and memorable?
Just saw this after I posted.

If you'll be in Vegas, I suggest either getting them spa certificates (Mandalay Spa and pool is AMAZING) or show tickets. Right now, they are running a special for summer dates for Cirque- $50 a ticket. Even the new Elvis show or the ever-popular Beatles show.

Last edited by DiosaBellissima; 05-21-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Old 05-21-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiosaBellissima View Post
. . . I always do those things when I'm in Hawaii. I think they are cool as shit. . .

She must have gotten bad ones, because honestly, whenever I've done it, you just pop open the oyster with a little hucker thing and out falls the pearl.
Oh, no, there was digging involved. And DEAD THING. It would have been cute except for the dead thing.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Oh, no, there was digging involved. And DEAD THING. It would have been cute except for the dead thing.
Hrm. Maybe the ones I did are fresher or something. Odd!
Old 05-21-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, no, there was digging involved. And DEAD THING.
I'm not quite getting the DEAD THING problem here. Okay, so the mollusk was dead. But it wasn't any deader than anything that had been on your dinner plate, and you touched that stuff with your mouth.

Of course, I have one of those necklaces, and my experience was pretty much like everyone else has described it. Pop the top of the can, open the oyster with the little tool provided, pull out the pearl. I'd want to do the opening over a sink or plate or trashcan for the sake of neatness, but there was no rancid seawater slopping about or digging around for the pearl. If yours was that nasty, I wonder if maybe you got one with a bad seal on the can.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 AM

bridesmaid gifts

I gave my bridesmaids jewelry to wear and small silk purses to carry on the day of the wedding. The best bridesmaid gift I ever received was a crystal ring holder about 20 years ago. I still use it to this day. These days, there are many more options for bridesmaid gifts. I've even seen custom made cookies you can use as an invitation to ask your girlfriends to be part of your wedding party.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:07 AM

Both my bridesmaids love wine. I gave them bottles of a nice red wine along with wine glasses engraved with their monograms.

I also really like the idea of giving personalized gifts. Think about what you might get them for their birthdays or Christmas. What hobbies, books, CDs, or restaurants do they love? Just make sure you try to spend the same amount on each bridesmaid.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:

I did Vegas with my girlfriends a few years ago. I gave them bags and put in sunscreen, cheapy sunglasses, little bottles of liquor, a roll of quarters (not that many slot machines in Vegas actually TAKE quarters anymore - but its the thought), and a deck of poker cards.

As to weddings, I gave my bridesmaids a basket of bath stuff - bubble bath, lotion, etc. And a trashy "appropriate for reading in the tub" novel.

I've only been a bridesmaid once, and I don't think the bride bothered.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:29 AM

Both giver and reciever of jewellery. I must say, every time I wear a piece of jewellery from a wedding, I remember the wedding, which is nice.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 AM

Clutch purses and necklaces that went with the dresses they were wearing to the wedding (I didn't really have matching bridesmaid dresses, as it was a destination wedding).
Old 08-31-2010, 09:43 AM

I took my bridesmaids out to a boutique bath store where they have a custom blending bar. We had a private blending party where we all made custom-frangranced bath products. We had fun playing with the scents, trying new scents and in general having lots of fun, girly time. They loved it! While we were having the party, I gave each of the girls a hand-made, personalized jewelry box with a snowflake pin inside (I was having a snow-flake themed wedding). I also included my mom and my mother-in-law because they were being very helpful and deserved a big thank you!
Old 09-04-2010, 12:27 AM

My sis-in-law gave me and the rest of the bridesmaids cute reversible beach-bags full of girly bath/body type stuff, a Victoria's Secret thong and stuff like that. They were all somewhat personalized with our favorite colors, styles, etc. I'm not a fan of weird keepsakes that just end up in a junk drawer. I thought the goody-bags were great bridesmaid gifts: a useful bag with useful girly stuff in it.

Someone mentioned gift certs for a massage or mani/pedi at a later date. That's a great idea. I'd love that.

Last edited by Mrs Johnson; 09-04-2010 at 12:30 AM..