Ask the frequent business traveler

You may have seen people like me in the airport in suits, talking on Blackberrys constantly, wheeling suitcases in one hand and carrying laptop bags with names like “Accenture” or “Ernst & Young” or some incomprehensible logo stenciled on the side. Or maybe you’ve seen people like us dramatized on TV or in movies like Up in the Air staring George Clooney.

Maybe you don’t travel for your job and want to and want to know what sort of jobs those people do.

So feel free to ask any questions you like.
A couple to get out of the way right off the bat:
-I work for a Big-4 accounting firm as a management consultant (I won’t say which one though) based out of NYC
-Travel and most of my expenses are covered by some combination of my company and the client. Specific guidelines depend on company policy, the client I’m working for and other factors.
-At the moment, I do not have Elite status anymore.
-I’m currently sitting in an airport bar / restaurant in DEN (airport code for Denver) waiting for a connecting flight.
-I’m extremely excited because I was randomly upgraded to first class by the airline.

Do you find your health / fitness suffers when traveling? Do you make a conscious effort to try and be disciplined with your eating / drinking when on the road?

I’m thinking about things like eating right, keeping fit etc - it’s easier to do these things properly when you’re in the routine of working and living in one place. Start traveling and it all goes pear-shaped IME. What’s your experience - do most commercial travelers look like they’re in poor shape?

Which airlines do you prefer? Which do you try to avoid?

(And I presume that you’re happy with United at the moment, since DEN is a UA hub.)

Do you get into a lot of bar-fights?

Why do you wear a suit when you travel? Wouldn’t it be better to dress more comfortably, then change when you land? I know I get sweaty when I travel and especially sleep on a plane.

Which are your favorite and more hated airports?

Do you find what I found–that it sucks. Big Time Suck? I have in the past travelled a lot for my job (luckily right now I am not) and in general I hated it. Security lines, crappy food at airports, long lay overs, dropped or missed flights, etc. I stay at nice hotels but you work all day, then go to dinner/drinks with your client and so you really don’t get to enjoy any of it. Food is good but unless you can squeeze in some time to work out, you look like Pear Boy quickly!

I likely in my job will need to fly again (just the nature of my job as an Architect) but in general if I never had to do it again I would be just as happy. I get to keep the miles but it is such a small perk that it isn’t worth the tradeoff for me. Lost my elite status since I haven’t been traveling much lately, so until that gets built up again the first few months will be tough.

Hope you enjoy it, we have several people here who love to travel. I just happen to not be one of them.

Do you do make milege runs to get status and are you in the red carpet club? If not why not. I love the red carpet club. It makes flying bearable.

Do you drink a lot are you a type A?

Do you really think a lot of people want to ask you questions?

Do you worry about picking up bedbugs?

Do you try to avoid flying on weekends so you will avoid “amateurs” or other newbs who hold up the security line?

Do you wonder why Americans spell it Traveler, and the rest of the world spells it Traveller? If not, what else do you think about besides fightin’ and women while you’re on the road?

I need to get in more of a regular fitness regime anyway. But you do have to watch that you don’t gain weight from drinking and eating too much crap / expensed meals while on the road.

It’s not too bad when you are younger, but you can see a lot of heavy guys in their 40s in the airport.

I wouldn’t say I “prefer” any, but I live near Newark (EWR) which is a Continental hub, so I fly them a lot.

Um…I didn’t…before.

I avoid flying on weekends because I don’t want my weekend ruined. Usually the job dictates my schedule so I will typically fly sunday night or monday morning (preferred) and return thursday or friday.

Sometimes I am either going straight to or coming straight from the client or office and don’t have time to change. Today I just wore a sweatshirt and jeans.

I hate all the New York , DC, Chicago and Boston airports. If I have to go to Boston or DC I’ll take the Accela. If I really have to fly to Boston, I may just fly to Providence and drive the rest of the way. I thought San Fran, Atlanta and Denver were pretty nice.

I probably drink more than I should and I’m generally pretty laid back unless I get worked up into a rage.

Part of my job is talking to senior people at companies and I need to come accross as if I know what I’m talking about in no uncertain terms.

Drinking definitely appears to be part of the culture of working in these sort of jobs. Lots of happy hours, client dinners, etc. If I’m traveling with a coworker, it’s quite common to pass the time in an airport bar.

You asked me three.

No. And other than one specific incident (to which I assume you are referring), I find most people relatively friendly.

I’ve also never tried to take a dump on a serving cart either. (You may remember that story from a few years back).
Hakuna Matata - I enjoy it occassionally, but when I had to do it every week for months on end, it did become a grind. What I hate is when I have to miss personal stuff I actually want to do because I have to travel.

cherry - I normally don’t go out of my way to collect status points. I’ve only flown United a few times so I haven’t joined their Red Carpet Club.

1. How many of today’s frequent travelers are at least partly motivated by getting away from their spouse? Of these, how many are seeking relief from constant nagging, and how many the opportunity to cheat?
  2. How often do you remember flight attendants by name and have some kind of passing familiarity?
  3. Do you feel enthusiasm for maintaining airline mile accounts with multiple airlines, choosing flights to optimize them, redeeming them, and so forth? How does that compete with constant, tedious disgust for the way they abuse you?
  4. How often do you find hotel exercise equipment broken or incomplete?
  5. Would you agree that airport and hotel bars are bizarre contradictory places dedicated to pleasure and enjoyment but packed with people who only share the desire to be someplace else? Have you a coping strategy for this nightly pre-bedtime dose of conflict?
  6. Any clue what gives passenger jets that distinctive, here-we-go-again smell?

You should. I worked (research) with bedbugs for a long time (and I travel a lot), and I am PARANOID about picking them up. Even nice hotels can have them.

I have said this before. When I check into a hotel, the bags go into the bathtub while I check the room. The inspection takes about 30 minutes, and includes taking apart the bed including headboard (a favorite spot!), taking electrical outlet plates off, checking the desk, checking the drawers, behind wallpaper if its there etc… I have a kit that includes a hand lens, flashlight, various screwdrivers and other tools.

Even after decaring the room “probably clean” (you can never be 100% sure without a specially trained dog), I never put my clothes away in the drawers. My bag remains hung on the hook on the bathroom door. Clothes that need to be hung up are hung on the shower curtain rod.

When I get home, all clothes and my bag (which is a simple canvas bag) go directly in the dryer for 30 minutes first thing.

Be afraid. They are very difficult to get rid of once you have them.

Clearly I can’t speak for all business travelers. However in my annecdotal experience, certainly some travelers

So far, never.

I haven’t really experienced much “abuse” other than the occassional travel delay. But yes, we do sometimes get excited about airline miles, Starwood points and the like.

More often than I would like.

I wouldn’t say they are dedicated to pleasure and enjoyment. They are more of a place for businesspeople to meet, relax and discuss business while waiting to move on to their next meeting.

Hotel bars like you find in the W hotels are certainly bizarre IMHO. I don’t find it that relaxing to come back from the office into a douchey 24/7 DJ techno house party.

I would assume it is whatever industrial Fabreez spray they use between flights.

At what point does it become more economical to put in a big-ass video-conferencing and remote access system with the clients or regoinal offices, than send you overseas to talk to them and pay for transport and lodging? 'Cause that’s what they did at my old job. I never got to go to France or anything.

I’m a government lawyer with a nationwide caseload, so I’m a frequent traveler too. I’m in DC, so I try to schedule flights to keep me Premier on United. That lets me bypass all you people in the security line.

I’m usually traveling to unglamorous destinations, though.

Agree with msmith537 about the W.

how much do you travel a month? Eg, how many days and how many trios?

I’m not too bad these days. Probably average 2 3-night trips per month.

Does your wife think biz travel is glamorous? Does she unnderstand the get up at 5.00 am, head to airport, do email on the way, work on flight until your battery dies and/or your flight ends, meet with clients, dinner with clients, drinks with clients, gpo back to hotel and do email until midnight, get up at 6.00 the next morning and start doing email, rinse, lather, repeat?

Have you traveled to Europe, Asia, or other international destinations?

If you travel someplace interesting, or a place where you have friends or family, do you get an opportunity to have a little free time?

How far ahead of time do you know that you will be traveling? Do you have to leave at the drop of a hat to handle emergencies?

How long do you typically stay at the client site?

Do you travel to the same few clients all the time? Are they your clients?

Have you made any changes to your routine at home as a result of the travel?

If you do international, how do you deal with jetlag? IMHO, ambien is your friend.