The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

View Poll Results: Are there things lemon does better than lime?
Yes, such as ___________. 64 78.05%
No. 18 21.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM

Is there anything lemon does that lime doesn't do better?

I like lemons. They're tart, flavorful goodness. Even more than lemons I like limes, which are even more tart (I don't like the word tarter; it sounds like tartar) flavorful goodness. I may be biased because I grew up with a lime tree in my yard, but every application I can think of for a lemon, I think if you replace it with lime, it'll be better.

I do realize that this is a matter of taste, but maybe there are some things that we can agree, even us lime-lovers, lemon is simply better for.

Got any? Thanks.
Advertisements  
Old 06-07-2010, 11:41 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Fish. If it isn't an island-based recipe, lime won't do. Ditto Chicken Picatta.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:50 AM

I had a recipe for blueberry pancakes that called for a bit of lemon juice to brighten the flavor. I was out, but had lime, so I substituted it. The overall verdict was that lemon would have been a lot better.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 AM

Lemonade. Limeade would be good, but limes just don't have very much juice.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:53 AM

A lot of Fillipino cooking. The marinade for bistek* calls for two parts soy sauce and one part lemon juice. I've tried to use lime juice when the fridge contents were low and it just tastes strange.

*Corruption/pidgen of the English language phrase "beef steak". It's a very, very good way to prepare cheap cuts of beef.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Look yellow and lemony?
Old 06-07-2010, 11:55 AM

I've made this lemon curd recipe using limes a few times. It tastes pretty good but looks really, really bad in a mucousy way.

ps. I've also done this with grapefruit - never again!.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM

A lime and sugar crepe would probably taste odd.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Nohting. That "lemon" you refers to is a weak fuit, it is not worthy of cleaning a Key Lime's toilet.
And key lime lemonade is the real stuff, less juice but far more punch.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:01 PM

I love them both, but my friend makes some excellent lemon squares. Just delicious. We've tried to make lime squares, but just that change threw off the recipe. Took four tries to get the recipe just right and even then, they were nowhere near as good as the lemon squares.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM

I like a squeeze of lemon in my bloody Mary's, and lime just is not as good (unless you make it a bloody Maria, then it's ok.) Also, lime in a scotch and water or scotch and soda is all kinds of wrong, while a bit of lemon in there is delicious.

Last edited by Tequila Mockingbird; 06-07-2010 at 12:08 PM.. Reason: speeling is important
Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM

I agree that limes should be used more. Why would anyone choose lemonade over limeade?

But there are times, say a mild fish, when lime would be too strong. Lemon is fine with being a role player; lime not so much.

I'm also wondering what hummous would be like with lime juice instead of lemon juice.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpengvin View Post
Look yellow and lemony?
Well there's that!

I put lime on fish, and think it tastes great. I guess I'm making island-based food? The lemon square thing could be accurate. I wouldn't know, since I've never had a lime bar, and I don't bake. Too much accuracy involved. I'm imagining what one tastes like, and lemon just seems like the only way. Now what's all this about putting lemon in Scotch?
Old 06-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
I put lime on fish, and think it tastes great. I guess I'm making island-based food?
Maybe. I can totally see it in that context.

But I like my seafood to have a New England taste, and it's lemons all the way down.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

I've never had lime meringue pie, but I doubt it would be as good as the traditional lemon.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:37 PM

Regarding the lemon in scotch; a.) this is only for cheap blended scotch and b.) just a sliver of lemon or possibly a twist of rind is all I'd recommend, but I do enjoy it very much. I've gotten some of those lemon carbonated waters and used those in place of soda water at home with tasty results.

I will admit the lime flavored carbonated water does make a very nice mojito.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:39 PM

Lime butter is even better than lemon butter for dipping artichokes.

Lime juice is more concentrated than lemon juice, so if you're substituting, you have to make adjustments. Of course it's going to taste wrong if you use too much.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:41 PM

They're very different fruits, really. It's like comparing apples and oranges.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:44 PM

Vodka & tonic or gin & tonic are significantly better with lemon, despite the American choice of lime.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 PM

hollandaise sauce
Old 06-07-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltire View Post
I've never had lime meringue pie, but I doubt it would be as good as the traditional lemon.
I have to admit, I'd take key lime pie over lemon meringue anyday. Especially if I'm in Key West.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Monkey With a Gun View Post
A lot of Fillipino cooking. The marinade for bistek* calls for two parts soy sauce and one part lemon juice. I've tried to use lime juice when the fridge contents were low and it just tastes strange.

*Corruption/pidgen of the English language phrase "beef steak". It's a very, very good way to prepare cheap cuts of beef.
Spanish for beefsteak is bistec. I don't think this is a corruption so much as a borrowing of a word from Spanish, as happened many other times in the Philippines.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Fish. If it isn't an island-based recipe, lime won't do.
I'm not a fan of lemon on fish. If your fish needs lemon, you need to find fresher fish.

It does do wonders on a schnitzel, though. And lemonade beats limeade hands down. Prefer my whisky drinks with a twist of lime over lemon, when citrus is applied.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:44 PM

I like my broccoli (and most veggies) with salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon. I've tried lime, and it ain't the same.

And I prefer lemon on any fried seafood I have.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Lemon juice can be used to remove some stains. Lime is a kind of stain.

Also, I'm trying to sing the old Peter Paul and Mary song as "Lime tree, very pretty, and the lime flower is sweet" but it sounds dumb. OK, dumber.

Gotta say, though, I love the little green guys.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
If your fish needs lemon, you need to find fresher fish.
Respectfully disagree. I was recently at a place where the lobsters were so fresh, the fishermen were transferring them directly from the boats to the tanks. It doesn't get much fresher than that.

Still needed lemon.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
Cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by villa View Post
Vodka & tonic or gin & tonic are significantly better with lemon, despite the American choice of lime.
Stop everything! I've never tried this. I will now, and if I prefer the lemon, I will give you one billion brownie points.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth View Post
I'm not a fan of lemon on fish. If your fish needs lemon, you need to find fresher fish.
Prefer my whisky drinks with a twist of lime over lemon, when citrus is applied.
Some might say if you're adding lime to your drink, you need to find better drinks. Others would say they just like the taste of lime, regardless of their drink's quality.

*Brownie points not redeemable for cash.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Marmalade. Lemon skin will soften up nicely but lime skin stays strangely hard and chewy and is not nice.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:04 PM

I fried up some whitefish fillets just last night and served them drizzled with a lemon butter sauce (actually I used Meyer lemons). I can't imagine lime working in that situation.

OTOH, I prefer to use lime juice when making guacamole and I will take a glass of limeade any day over lemonade.

I love both lemons and limes but they are different enough in taste that I think it is difficult to substitue one for the other without substantially altering the result in most cases. YMMV.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:04 PM

I think they are both equally useful, tasty and not always interchangeable. I do prefer lemon on fish and some vegetables but I prefer limeade and Key lime pie over the lemon versions. By the way, Key limes are not interchangeable with other limes either. The flavor is noticeably different.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I love love love limes. Limeade. Lime marmalade. Key lime pie. Lime candies. Pretty much lime anything. And yes, a lime wedge is essential to a proper gin & tonic.

But give me lemon for my iced tea.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Lime is generally a more prominent flavor note than lemon and does not blend as smoothly with other ingredients in many dessserts.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Long Island Iced Tea - just doesn't work with limes, I'm afraid.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:49 PM

I'm a lime-lover too but want lemon on my caesar salad.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiseE View Post
Marmalade. Lemon skin will soften up nicely but lime skin stays strangely hard and chewy and is not nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew View Post
I love love love limes. Limeade. Lime marmalade. Key lime pie. Lime candies. Pretty much lime anything.
Interesting. So I'm seeing there are a couple of beverages that lemon supposedly embiggens more so than lime. Strangely, I've only had lemon in iced tea, of the Long Island variety or otherwise, but have never put lemon in gin. I've got some experimenting to do!
Old 06-07-2010, 03:28 PM

As lemons have more vitamin C than limes, they do a better job of preventing scurvy.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:34 PM

My wife and I are huge fans of lime. We're of the opinion that limes can do everything lemon does, but much better. Or, at least, that was our opinion until the Lime Chicken Incident.

My wife found a recipe for a roasted chicken which has lemon slices stuffed under the skin. The flavor infuses the chicken. She'd had it at a party, and loved it... so we decided to try it at home.

Only with lime, rather than lemon... 'cause, you know, lime>lemon.

Big, huge, gargantuan mistake. Something... happened. The lime somehow destroyed the chicken's flavor. All we could taste was a godawful burnt lime taste, thoughout the entire chicken. We had to throw it out, and vowed to never try that again.
Old 06-07-2010, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
I have to admit, I'd take key lime pie over lemon meringue anyday. Especially if I'm in Key West.
Key lime pie is not lime meringue. But if you're saying "lime pie" over "lemon pie", I might agree. Except my mom's lemon meringue beat the shit out of her key lime.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max the Immortal View Post
Exactly. Each have their place. In my cooking, I probably use them equally as much. European, Middle Eastern, and African recipes tend to get lemon, Caribbean, Mexican, and Southeast Asian recipes tend to get lime (or bitter orange).

For example, today I'm making a rosemary-lemon-garlic chicken. I just don't see rosemary and lime working well in that combo. On the other hand, if I'm marinading strip steak for fajitas, it has to be lime. Chicken yassa? Has to be lemon. Marinaded Greek lamb? Also lemon (can you even imagine lime with that? Yuck.) Larb? Lime. Et cetera...

It's makes no sense to say one is better than the other. They have completely different flavors--the only thing they really have in common is their acidity.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanOldLady View Post
but have never put lemon in gin. I've got some experimenting to do!
Ah, gin is another one that screams lime for me, not lemon. Something about the bitter and more aromatic note lime has works better for me. Lemon just doesn't seem right for gin.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM

I really love the flavor of lime. It is probably my favorite citrus fruit.
But, there are some recipes that would be significantly different if you were to use lime instead of lemon.
This is especially true for cocktails and desserts.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

I can eat lemons out of hand, peel and all ( works better with Meyer lemons as I mentioned in another thread ). I can't do that ( as easily) with limes .
Old 06-07-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightnin' View Post

Big, huge, gargantuan mistake. Something... happened. The lime somehow destroyed the chicken's flavor. All we could taste was a godawful burnt lime taste, thoughout the entire chicken. We had to throw it out, and vowed to never try that again.
Limes have more sugar, I believe. I've had the same experience with lemon chicken, and I think this is the cause. I love limes, and I use them more often than lemons, but there is a fundamental difference, and sometimes it can burn you.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell View Post
Ah, gin is another one that screams lime for me, not lemon. Something about the bitter and more aromatic note lime has works better for me. Lemon just doesn't seem right for gin.
I had an extremely hazy night involving lemons and gin a couple years back. Took me the better part of an hour to find my house afterwards.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:29 PM

To me, limes are sweet, while lemons are tart. (I'm talking straight fruit or juice, not sweetened in any way) They are substantially different in taste and bite, to me, so that the uses for them really are just too different to expect a direct substitution to work all the time.

Limeade > lemonade any day, though.

Last edited by Taomist; 06-07-2010 at 05:29 PM..
Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Edited to add: As somewhat of a side note, one can add just some lemon juice, not even much, to a pan with a chicken roasting in it, and the entire chicken will taste like lemon when it's done roasting. I did this once, figuring I had to use a lot of lemon juice, and holy crap...the chicken was so fricking lemon-ey it was almost inedible.

So the limes-under-the-skin thing...well...I'd suggest trying it again, but with a lot less lime, is all.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley View Post
Long Island Iced Tea - just doesn't work with limes, I'm afraid.
Ditto regular tea! Lime would be weird.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Forty-seven posts and no one's mentioned lime wedges, as opposed to lemon with Corona, etc., for those who like to have a wedge with their suds.

Although I've seen recipes for both, I love margueritas with lime, not lemon.

And I will be making limeade tomorrow, as soon as I can get to the greengrocer.

Last edited by descamisado; 06-07-2010 at 05:44 PM..
Old 06-07-2010, 05:52 PM

I am entirely of your opinion, MeanOldLady. Since the latino markets around here sell key limes (or "limons") by the bagful, I always have a couple of dozen limes around. Then I find myself reaching for them for any recipe calling for lemon, and they never disappoint.

And I do prefer limeade to lemonade. The Vietnamese pho joints here in San Jose serve fresh-squeezed limeade and it's hell on diets, as a glass can contain up to 1/3 cup of sugar.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:52 PM

A lime isn't just a green colored lemon. It has a strong taste that clashes with 90% of things you would otherwise squeeze lemon on. I don't like limes, anyway (except Key Lime Pie which is made with, duh key limes) - but a wedge of lime does look pretty, perched on the rim of a glass. I've made lemon bars, with the crust you bake and then take out, pour in lemon juice, eggs, and sugar, and bake some more. and then I've substituted orange juice, or lime juice. They came out tasting OK, like those sugar coated slice-shaped jelly candies. But not as delicious as lemon.