Pick a movie for the SDMB 1964 Film Festival

All Dopers are invited to attend the 1964 FilmFest! Your entry fee to this cinematic wayback event is to bring your own movie. Also, it would be nice if you could say a few words about your choice. It doesn’t have to be the “best” movie, or even your favorite. It can be something you’ve never seen before or one of your guilty pleasures.

Here’s an IMDB list for 1964. You should be able to find something in there, I’m sure.

Just one movie per post, please…that gives everyone a chance to pick one of the fine features from that golden year.
I’ll kick it off with Man’s Favorite Sport? – A favorite of mine ever since watching with my family while on vacation years ago. Rock Hudson as a fishing expert who doesn’t know how to fish. His boss enters him in a fishing tournament and reporter Paula Prentiss tags along to document his exploits. Outdoorsy Rom-com hilarity ensues. Directed by Howard Hawks.

ps: I forgot to mention…BYO Popcorn.

The IMDB list didn’t work for me, so I used Wikipedia.

I’m really torn between Doctor Strangelove and Hard Day’s Night. Both very much of the time–but they still work. (Hmmm, both black & white.) One to watch when I need cheering up & another one not so cheerful.

But honorable mentions to Becket, My Fair Lady & From Russia With Love.

:smack:

IMDB 1964 list (second attempt)

I’m tempted to say *My Fair Lady, *because it’s among the most iconic of musicals. But instead I’ll say *The Umprellas of Cherbourg, *if only because of a stunningly gorgeous Catherine Deneuve and that haunting music.

One of my favorite political thrillers: Seven Days in May.

(I’ll let someone else pick Fail-Safe!)

Oops! Double post

Goldfinger.

Marriage Italian Style

1964 was a good year for bad movies. Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?, and Starfighters are all in the top 50 from the IMDb list. All were featured on MST3K. If I had to pick one as a guilty pleasure, I think it would be Incredibly Strange Creatures. Who doesn’t love a Ray Dennis Steckler (aka Cash Flagg) flick?

I have to go w/ one of my all time faves, Mary Poppins.

Hush Hush, Sweet Charlotte for this exchange:

"If I wasn’t in this chair . . . "

“But ya are, Blanche, ya are!”

I had left my husband of a little more than a year when I saw this movie. In 24 hours I had packed up the baby, rented a hotel room in another town, got a job lined up, and went to the movie with friends. I ended up going back to him but the movie has a spot in my heart.

Although I’m a fairly devout Catholic, I usually HATE Biblical movies. One of the only good ones came out in 1964: Pierpaolo Pasolini’s “The Gospel According to St. matthew.”

True, it’s not as good as his masterpiece, “The Third Test Match,” but it was quite good in its own right.

The Kubrick is my favorite film of that year, but a close runner-up is the glorious and mystical Russian film Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors.

Wow, 1964 was a very good year for movies. Since no one else has actually picked it yet, I have to grab the one that is already in my collection: Dr. Strangelove.

We’re gonna watch two planes have sex during the opening credits!

You made a wise, wise choice. I find the Lerner & Loewe film practically unbearable.

Psssst – that’s from Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.

A Shot in the Dark. We need to have a comedy in there, and you can’t go wrong with Peter Sellers.

IIRC, the music he plays is “Try a Little Tenderness” over that sequence.

It is, isn’t it! I always conflate those two movies!! Damn.

Hmmm…after checking the credits for Baby Jane, it looks like 1962 was a very good year as well.