Why do many Made in China products smell like Toxic Death?

From phone cords to furniture and everything in between, I have noticed that many products that are made in China have this hideous toxic smell. What is it? Is this some kind of chemical warfare agent? Just kidding. But seriously, the smell is on the product themselves so I don’t think it has to do with shipping containers. It takes forever for the smell to go away and sometimes it just doesn’t. It can’t possibly be healthy for you. Anyone know the answer?

Do these products have a lot of plastic? It could be volatile compounds in plastic outgassing. This may be in the products or the materials they’re packed in.

Just a WAG.

Fumigants added to the shipping container to kill bugs such as longhorn beetles and other stuff that people don’t want to import into their countries.

Mothballs packed with the textile items, but infusing everything in the shipment.

Residual solvents from items varnished or laquered on productions lines and packed immediately they’re dry enough to handle.

Volatiles evaporating from oils used to coat tools made from cheap steel.

Outgassing from new plastics, including packaging.

(I used to work for a company that imported Chinest gifts by the container load)

I ordered boots from Kohls and received them yesterday. I opened the box and was immediately met with the most horrific and noxious smell you could imagine. It actually gave me a headache, and I had to move the box to the other side of my living room. A few years ago I had a similar experience with plastic Easter eggs. I know the boots were made in China because they are clearly marked. I know that the eggs were manufactured with petroleum products because I looked to see the ingredients when the smell hit my nose. I wonder if that’s what is in the boots as well. I know whatever it is it is absolutely terrible. I’m going to try washing them with soap and water as I saw was suggested on another webpage. It stated to do this several times and this would help. If it doesn’t, back the boots will go. I don’t know what “we” can do about this issue. What can “we” do?? This is just nasty!!

I wouldn’t blame it directly on China as much as on the just-in-time system of manufacturing and distribution. Items used to sit on warehouse and store shelves for months in cardboard boxes; now they’re in impregnable plastic and purchased about 43 days (*) after leaving the factory.

• Wild guess

customs.

Only dirty, grimy and noxious old factories in Asia. Oh these prejudices…

Nobody said the factories were old or dirty. These noxious fumes may be coming from bright new factories.

what the west relies on for your luxury goods. how many factories in bangladesh have burnt down in the name of gucci for one? that’s been in the news. child labour. many other asian countries because THERE IS A MARKET OUT THERE.

those people work for a pittance to furnish the western world. where are nike made?

to snark and say dirty. grimy and obnoxious factories in asia is a fukking slap on people who are supporting their entire families on a crap income so people can snark at ‘what’s that bad smell’

get over yourselves.

how many things do you buy that don’t smell made in australia or the usa or the uk or any other western nation per se.

a spoilt bunch. if you don’t like it buy fukking merkan or some other country.

i love nike shoes. made in vietnam or hk/china. i buy in the shop not online.

Your snark detector may be broken. Along with your shift key.

well to answer the op’s concern. country specific custom laws.

sure most asian nation put msg into their products for longevity. like what the op mentioned.

problem solved.

maybe…china is trying to kill you? 555

What’s your point? Between the broken, illiterate English and the rambling nature of your rant, it’s hard to tell what you’re trying to say.

Virtually all plastics (more than 99%) are manufactured from petroleum products. Where else did you think they came from?

I remember when cheap plastic stuff came from japan-always smelled of urea.

By msg do you mean Monosodium Glutamate or something else? If the former, MSG is a flavour enhancer (that many people react poorly to), not a preservative.

Given the frequency with which foodstuffs, medicines and “nutritional supplements” imported from China have been found to be adulterated with non-listed ingredients, it wouldn’t surprise me if other goods contain, um, mystery ingredients, some of which are stinky.

Moderator Warning

sentrix, this post is way over the line for General Questions. Insults and political jabs are not permitted. Rants like this are only appropriate for the Pit. In view of the several violations in this post, and the fact that you have been advised to post more carefully (and have agreed to do so in your recent ATMB thread), this is an Official Warning for being a jerk.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator

i shall post more carefully. thanks for the heads up.

i know this thread is super old but i just bought a clothing garment from china, it was 7.99. it was oily when i took it out of the package and it reaked of chemicals. its made of nylon. it makes me sick just thinking about it. i tried to wash it but the smell still persists. i don’t want that leaching into my skin