What else will my less-than-mobile husband need overnight?

Quick background:

Hubby had knee replacement surgery on Monday. He is home now, using a walker, but not exactly ready to run a marathon. (This is his third knee surgery since January. His “good” knee is in bad shape, and his bad knee caused the surgeon to wonder how he had been functioning at all prior to replacement.) I have to go to work tonight - can’t take any more time off, especially on a busy holiday weekend. Baby is going to work with me, and I’ll make sure that the dog’s needs are handled before I leave.

Normally, the two older kids - remarkably self-sufficient for ages 12 and 9, and normally a huge help for fetching, carrying, and basic helpful stuff - would be home overnight, but they’re gone to the mountains with their grandma this weekend. (They won’t have much other chance for vacation this summer, given our finances, so I couldn’t in good conscience tell my mom that the kids couldn’t leave this weekend.) So, husband will be alone tonight. (My dad is 4 blocks away, and a friend of hubby’s is available for emergencies overnight, so he’s not completely without resources while I’m away.)

I’m trying to make sure that hubby has everything he might possibly need overnight. So far, I have the following:

Small cooler, equipped with bottled water and a couple of flavor packs in case he’s sick to death of plain water, ice packs for his knee, and a couple of snacks in case he needs something with his medicine.

All of his prescriptions.

A roll of paper towels, and a couple of towels.

A “Monkey Bag” - designed for motorcycles, but adequate to Velcro around a walker - equipped with cell phone, pocket knife, pen and paper, a couple of magazines, an extra water bottle (in case he winds up on the other end of the house without beverage,) a portable urinal, a barf bag, paper towels, bandages, ointment, and a pair of scissors.

Laptop and wireless mouse by the bed.

Anything else you can think of that one might need for 8-9 hours alone, 5 days post-surgery?

Oh, yeah: I’m leaving here at 10:30-ish, so need answers fast!

I think you’ve got it covered. How old is he?

It sounds like most everything is good, but what will he do if he has … um … excretory needs … that the portable urinal is insufficient for? Can he move around at all?

He’s 41. And chorpler, he can get around, just not very quickly. I think that excretory needs are taken care of. If not, that’s what the extra towels might serve for, I guess. (And, since after surgery, these things become fairly common knowledge, I know when his last BM was. Under normal circumstances, he should be okay.)

Also, I just ran out and grabbed him some ginger ale. He became nauseous after getting a shower earlier, so I figured he might need that…

I know this is not “need answer fast” quality but…

Did you guys outfit the bathroom for him? After my SIL’s knee surgery, my brother hooked her up with a raised toilet seat and I think even a toilet safety frame. IIRC she used them for over a month.

If he’s going to be having more surgery, you might consider outfitting the bathroom, just so you can feel safe about him going in there alone.

Antibacterial moist towelettes for the toilet. I was in a no-walk cast recently and made sure that, both at home and at work, I could clean my hands before using my crutches. You can even add a little pack to the monkey bag.