"Must catch moose and squirrel!"

My girlfriend is a native Russian speaker and as such, I take great delight in having her dial her accent up a notch or two and say, “Must catch moose and squirrel!” Never having seen The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, she has no idea why I find this so funny. I’ve tried looking on YouTube and Google Videos for a clip of Boris and Natasha saying this, but to no avail. There are some full-length episodes online, but I’m not sure which of these, if any, will contain the famous quote, or some variation thereof. In fact, I’m not even sure that Boris or Natasha ever did say the exact phrase – maybe it’s one of those famous quotations, like “Elementary, my dear Watson!” or “Beam me up, Scotty!”, which were never actually uttered by the characters with whom they have become associated.

So, my question is twofold: First, in the original cartoons, did Boris or Natasha ever say “Must catch moose and squirrel”, “Must kill moose and squirrel”, or anything of the sort? Second, can anyone point me to an online video clip of same so I can show my girlfriend?

I don’t recall them saying “Must catch moose and squirrel”. I seem to recall “…kill Moose and squirrel” (only without the “must”. But certainly Boris said “…Moose and Squirrel” often enough.

I don’t have a YouTube clip. But you can get several volumes of DVDs of the series that will certainly have it.

It doesn’t really ring a bell as something Boris and Natasha would say. For one thing, they were always out to kill Moose and Squirrel, and (except for the story recap at the beginning of each episode) it wouldn’t be like this show to waste time telling us stuff we already know. “Must kill Moose and Squirrel” is just filler dialogue. Now Fearless Leader probably ordered them to “Get Moose and Squirrel!” But he spoke in a German accent, not Russian.

On this of all possible questions, perhaps The Wayback Machine might be of help? :slight_smile:

I agree that it’s ‘Get Moose and Squirrel!’. I’m pretty sure it was Fearless Leader’s line, but Boris and Natasha may have said it in the series. If they did, it may not have been an imperative, but as part of a longer line.

This isn’t what you’re looking for, but it does have Natasha saying ‘Moose and Squirrel’.

In my head, the iconic phrase has always been:

“Qvick Natasha, hide! Here comes Moose and Sqvirrel!”

I seem to recall “You get squirrel, I get moose.” But it’s been ~40 years, so who knows?

I vaguely remember Boris saying, “Kill Moose and Squirrel!”

The phrase I remember is, “Beeg trouble forr Moose and Squirrrel!”

I have the first 3 seasons on DVD. I’ll go watch them all and report back.

The things I do for you people…

Here’s a wav file. WavSource: Television: Bullwinkle / Free Wav Files and Sound Clips

Look 3/4 down the page.

My memory says

N-But Boris, what about moose and squirrell?
B-Kill moose and squirrell

“First we get Moose and Squirel, then conquer World”

The phrase which sticks in my head (and I’m 99% positive that it was never said in the show) revolves around wearing a big Russian-style fur hat.

“Nice hat, Boris. What it made of?”
“Moose and squirrel.”

I can’t help you in your search, but I wanted to let you know that your girlfriend rocks for indulging you in this manner, especially given that she has absolutely no idea *why *it’s funny.

Is it possible that she thinks this is just some odd sexual fetish?

It doesn’t help that he wears antlers to bed, and keeps saying something about pulling a rabbit out of a hat…

I knew a Croatian girl. It worked when she said it also. Both her and her sister got requests to say, “Get Moose and Squirrel”. I actually took her to the live action movie in 2000 to hear Rene Russo say the line.

BTW, you can stream the first 2 seasons of “Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends” off Netflix.

Okay silenus, you’ve had over 6 months. Please give us your report.

When I see this I have to add to it:

Beeg trouble forr Moose and Squirrrel! And Zeeba!