American justice story - is this really true?

In the lastest economist there’s an article about justice in America:

Google doesn’t seem to add a lot more. But if the basic facts as stated here are true this is just awful. But I’m wondering if this is one of those stories that once you start digging you find there’s more to it.

United States v. McNab. That’s the 11th circuit opinion.

Not that this strikes me as a good reason for a lengthy prison stay, but it seems that there is more at issue than whether the lobsters were in paper or plastic. The lobsters harvested were also undersize, some were egg-carrying, and were not made available for inspection. It also appears that there were a lot of lobsters involved; not like someone made the mistake of bringing two lobsters back to the States in a Glad bag after a lovely stay at Sandals: Honduras.

But as to the overall gist of the Economist article, I largely agree with it.

The lobster smuggling/mule ring is strongly linked to the underground castrada trade.

Well, it shouldn’t be hard to get a few of them to sing.

The Economist article is pretty embarrassing. They claim that the “paper vs plastic” issue was the only violation, but there’s actually a pretty long list of violations in the court case. And the article claims “The lobstermen had no idea they were breaking the law”, but the court found the opposite, that they knowingly broke the law. And their summary of the Lacy Act is incorrect as well, its not failure to follow foreign regulations, its importing goods into the US that were obtained by failing to follow regulations that is made illegal by the act.

I agree that we probably over-incarcerate in this country. But the article makes it sound like the lobstermen in question weren’t only given overly long sentences, but were basically innocent of doing anything wrong. Convicting the more-or-less innocent is a very different thing then giving the guilty longer then necessary jail-time. The opening paragraph not only is filled with errors, but by making the story sound more outrageous then it actually is, it obfuscates what the point of the article is.

What Simplicio said. The Economist article makes it sound like their crime was akin to forgetting to declare $14.83 in interest income on their tax returns, but it’s more like claiming that a 2,000,000 square foot factory was their primary residence.