Dog has pancreatitis - need advice. TMI doggy wise.

Hi,

Was wondering whether anyone here had experinced dealing with this illness?

We (mum and me) own a Jack Russell terrier he’s 9 will be 10 on August 30th and a few weeks ago he became very sick, it happened gradually though, at first he was vomiting and had diarrhea, he was fine throughout the rest of the day but overnight he began to shake badly. Mum took him to the vet and the person who saw him basically said they didn’t know what was wrong, gave him an antibiotic injection and an anti vomiting injection and mum was told to bring him in a weeks time for a check up.

A week passed, the throwing up stopped but he was still shaking and had no appetite.

Taking him back to the vet they took a blood test and a urine sample and when the results came back it showed a high white blood cell count and the vet gave us antibiotics for this and we were told that he also had pancreatitis and that doggy should only eat bland foods like rice and chicken, fish and to eat nothing containing high amounts of fat. This was fine for a few days, he’d eat it what we gave him.

Unfortunately he got into a rubbish bin and ate a small piece of fruit, he loves raw vegetables too and ate broccolli stalks :rolleyes:, which made him sick. He has managaed to eat a little bit of food since this but has thrown up even after the bland stuff. Now he’s just not eating anything. It’s scary, he’s very thin and the vet just says the same thing - give him bland food.

Doggy is perky in the mornings, I believe it’s because he has “fasted” overnight when he’s asleep and his pancreas hasn’t needed to work on any food? He seems alert, barks at things he normally barks at not as, um, excitedly as previously though, he shakes a lot, he’s weak through not eating. Any way of getting food into his system?

Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

we went through a period of having to feed Simone very lean ground beef mixed into a large proportion of boiled white rice. It didn’t really help, but that’s what we were told to do.

Is peanut butter considered bland enough? PB is the go-to food item to spark our dogs’ interest in anything.

Hey sailboat thanks for the reply.

Peanut Butter would be a bit too heavy for him I reckon and am not even sure he likes it generally? The minced beef idea sounds good will try it if he won’t eat the cod that’s been put down for him. Unfortunately the only things our dog goes crazy for are the foods he shouldn’t eat - liver squares, biscuits (dog ones course) marrowbone.

But he’s not even eating the food he loves which he should be eating.

No, no, no! PB is way to fatty for a dog with pancreatitis. It would likely bring on another attack. My dog has had it twice and it’s very scary.

I would find a new vet before doggy gets any worse. He might need fluids.

With pancreatitis, you want to avoid fat as much as possible. That’s what really sets it off. When I had pancreatitis, I ended up “eating” through a tube for six months.

Ok, thank you for replies, Sparky, that’s his name don’t think I mentioned it, wants to eat food because when I prepare the fish/chicken he comes over stands next to me, sniffs, his tail is up and when it’s in the bowl he goes to eat it but is then put off. Rice which is also on the menu for him he really seems to hate.

What about crackers?

Just found out he has an appointment with the vet on Monday. Just want to make sure he’s got something in him until the visit.

My vet recommended cottage cheese when my dog had it. Of course, he turned his nose up at it but you can give it a try.

If he wants to eat his biscuits, it’s probably ok as long as they’re the dry kind.

I am so sorry your dog is ill. My dog had it has a puppy during the big tainted dog food fiasco several years back. The worst part was the fact that he wouldn’t eat. He took nothing for two days and just when I was resigned to get him back to the vet and hooked up to an IV, I decided to try baby food. He took just a little but enough that I felt like he got something in him. The next day he took a little piece of chicken and slowly got his strength back from there. I would recommend picking up some organic baby food. Maybe a plain meat and a rice, veggies and chicken one. I know how helpless you must feel. I hope he is better soon.

He wouldn’t eat cottage cheese beforehand unfortunately. The cracker I gave him was a Jacobs Cracker which is the atypical most bland thing to eat when anyone is sick was turned down, he usally goes for it when we run out of dog biscuits but not today. :frowning:

Thank you Notchimine :), the baby food idea is excellent, suprised we haven’t thought of it before. If he just licks it a bit at a time it would still be something.

I think the reason he’s turning down food is because his stomach hurts reason being the acid which is in there hasn’t got anything to work on. It’s difficult.

Actually, not eating for a couple days is probably best for him, so long as he’s still drinking water and staying hydrated. Standard recommendation for treatment in every vet clinic I’ve ever known is hospitalization, IV fluids, acid reducer injections, and nothing by mouth for 48 hours, then introduce oral fluids, small amounts of bland foods, and oral medications as tolerated.

We have a Yorkie with pancreatitis. Turns out she was eating cat food. She is now on a low fat diet but we have to spike her food with lean ground beef as she will not eat the dry food by itself.

Last week, I started taking her dry food and mixing in a spoonful or two of low fat canned food, put water in it, and microwave it to bring out the smell. Not aroma, smell. The smellier, the better.

So far, success. I was worried about having to feed her ground beef. It’s a little too expensive.

Have you tried boiled chicken? Boil it, pull it off the bone & fix some rice in the UNSALTED broth. This is what my vet reccomends.

Hope your pupper is feeling better soon!

He hasn’t had IV, or an acid reducer injection, yet, have to see what vet says on Monday. He’s drinking lots of water and I’ve written an update on what he’s eating below. Actually the vet said only a few laps of water is best? Don’t actually know the reason for that.

Aw I hope your Yorkie’s feeling better The Surb! :smiley:

Sounds like she has an identity problem though :wink: ok that was a lame joke I’m sorry.

Thanks for the well wishes! He actually ate chicken the very first day he was diagnosed with pancreatitis, it’s just eating the raw fruit and vegetables afterwards had made him take a step back.

What has happened since yesterday is Sparky has drunk a few laps of low fat milk, this seems to have soothed his stomach, he hasn’t been sick like usual and this morning has eaten a cream cracker, don’t worry calling it a cream cracker is just a British thing towards a particular type, there’s no cream actually in it.

We also bought some chicken and rice baby food and he has licked some from his bowl so…yeah…nothing major has happened so far, hopefully the vet won’t prescribe drastic measures if Sparky is already taking bland food. Thank you for advice. :slight_smile:

Sorry all! Had trouble with my computer, and your above post hadn’t appeared before I fixed (the damn!) thing - but here it is anyway…

Hi AbnB. It’s a really worrying thing when your beloved is ill, and I feel for you and your mum. My understanding is that the pancreas produces the enzymes that break down fats, and that pancreatitis is the inflammation of it; therefore the necessity for your JR to be on a very low (or preferably no) fat diet. Particularly until further tests have been completed.

Different dogs can deal with different foods; and how much fat yours can handle depends on the severity of the current disorder.

It’s useful to get some digestive enzymes for him, and failing being able to get the capsule form, organic plain yoghurt will help. (Only about a tablespoon before each meal.)

Lots of small meals throughout the day - certainly 2, but up to 4 depending on the type of eater he is i.e you may find that he’s responding better to having 4 meals of about 2 tablespoons, rather than the same amount in only 2 servings.

Beef mince is far too fatty for him at this stage and chicken mince certainly can be too - depending on the quality of it, and even so far as how the animal was fed and butchered. So chicken mince is probably not a good idea. Skinless chicken breast *is, *as is skinless turkey (all meats raw of course).

Kangaroo meat is the leanest red meat at all - it contains no fat whatsoever.

Beef bones and chicken carcasses are a no no, as well as pigs ears and dog biscuits. Dog biscuits are very high in fat and salt - no matter the price.

White rice can sometimes give dogs the runs if they’re not used to it, and well cooked brown rice is much better.

Oatmeal (raw or cooked) is great. Quinoa is brilliant. Polenta (cooked without adding the eggs) is great too - you can make it into quite a stiff consistency so that it’s very dense and then grill it to make it a bit biscuity for him. With this, in making the polenta, when it’s pretty much cooked, take it off the heat and add the juice of a bunch of parsley to it. This will be very good for him, and very appetising because it smells like grass. (When I make it here, it’s referred to as ‘The Green Green Grass of Home’ lol!)

The broccoli stalks will have certainly made him sick - dogs actually can’t digest this particular vegetable unless it’s steamed or cooked.

Baked, steamed, or mashed sweet potato, white potato, pumpkin, swede, and parsnip are all great. Don’t cook the buggery out of them - just so they’re still a little firm and bright in colour. He needs all the nutrients he can get.

Steamed green beans, and spinach are also good. Other than grated raw apple, pear, and certainly paw paw (lol!) are the only fruit he should be offered at this point - pretty much all others are too acidic for little self. Paw paw or papaya are really, really good for the enzymes that will help with his digestion. So just cut it up really finely and mix it in his food.

For ease, I suggest ditching all dog foody things and using fresh human food. Much more simple to determine the fat content, and overall (in my opinion) better for him all round.

Other than the suggested yoghurt, no dairy at all - no matter how much he might like cheese! Dogs actually can’t digest dairy, so
no point making his system work hard now…!

Also, try to not be anxious when you’re feeding him - he’ll be picking up on this and reacting to it. This is the time to not pay him any attention at all - just put the bowl down, and walk away.
And certainly, if you’ve been doing it up until now, don’t leave biscuits or food in his bowl all day in the hope that he’ll eat it if he wants to. He has to be given limited opportunities to eat, and if he doesn’t touch what you give him, just take it out of the bowl and refrigerate until the next time.

You’ll know soon enough too, if he prefers his new foods at room temperature, cold from the fridge, or ever-so-slightly warmed.

Don’t be overwhelmed by it all. It really is less complicated than it may seem.

If you can, give him some Bach Flower Rescue Remedy - about a quarter of a dropper full 3-4 times a day. This will help relieve his own anxiety and food confusion - and you and your mum can take it too. (That sounds funny I know - but give it some thought!)

Wishing each of you the best with this. Give him lots of tactile attention, and gently massage the tips of his ears to soothe the little guy.

6ITBB, wow! What a lovely thoughtful post. I have just printed it out for my mum to read and she was happy that you took the time to write and help :slight_smile:

I did wonder about how our energy around Sparky effected how he ate because we often stand around him waiting and speaking in “coo” voices but of course, this particular tone can actually cause a dog to be nervous (I watch Cesar Milan a lot) but it’s easy to worry or slip and do that because, you know, obviously that’s how you relate to humans. We only have brown rice because I’m a healthy eater and don’t eat the processed stuff so that’s a good thing, we also have quinoa but I doubt he’d eat it because he’s never gone for it before. He’s actually quite a picky eater.

But today he seems better, he’s bouncy and has recently eaten a bit of fish.

My pleasure, AbnB…! It’s really stressful having these kinds of things happen, so I’m more than glad I could help.

Just something to keep in mind - Sparky’s interest in the baby food is basically because of the high sugar content (ah yes - just like us, dogs like sweet things…) Though the Department of Health advises not to add sugar to baby foods, manufacturers absolutely do: they are limited in the allowed sugars in puddings and desserts; but in cereal-based foods, only the sugar added during manufacture is restricted - not the total amount. So what he’s eating could be something like 29% sugar - which will, of course, affect his behaviour. Add to that the possibility of him becoming addicted to the food a) because this is the food that reminded him to eat b) there was very positive response from you and your mum and c) sugar tastes great to a dog who’s had all the tasty fat taken away.

So not wanting to play devil’s advocate, I think I just have…!

It’s great that he’s had some fish - it shows that he’s hungry enough again, which means that the pain is subsiding for him. If it was fresh fish, a thousand gold stars to you and your mum and canned tuna in brine is perfectly fine if you just rinse it to remove the salt.

Because his system now is more acidic than usual, (which affects his appetite) add some bi-carb soda to his water to bring his acidity down. The amount really doesn’t matter (in that you can’t overdose him and he won’t really taste it - it’ll just be a tiny bit salty) but say around 2 level teaspoons per litre (or thereabouts).

Another thing I forgot to mention in my never-ending previous post

• *good god - is there a shutup! button **
    is that banana is really good too - you can slice it and dry it in the oven to become his new biscuits, or just add some raw to his cordon bleu food…

That you realised impact of your responses during feeding is fantastic. High commendations to you, and god bless Caesar Milan eh?

If you have anything else you would like to know AbnB, or anything you might be concerned about, please, feel free to PM me. Think of me as your friendly resource lol!

I think what you and your mum are doing for Sparky is heartwarming. He’s a lucky little dude, and managing his food like this is pure love in a bowl.

FWIW, my parents had a doggie that lived to be an absurd age due in part to vegetable soup.

This doggie had renal failure (as opposed to pancreatitis) and wouldn’t eat much of anything we gave him. Then one day I made myself a grilled portobello mushroom, tomato and avocado sandwich. He actually got up and came over to check it out. I offered him a piece of grilled portobello and he almost ripped my arm off trying to get it. This turned into him eating Campbells vegetable soup for the rest of his days (which was quite a while - a couple of years).

It’s pretty mild and doesn’t have a ton of protein in it so maybe your fur buddy would tolerate it.

Thank you so much 6ITBB!

The baby food is fine re sugar, always read the information and there are only five ingredients all natural.

Sparky threw up a little bit just a minute ago :frowning: I know why though, my mum for some reason, I think it’s because he looked better, gave him a tiny bit of biscuit:rolleyes:, I told her that he can’t handle things like that and the reason he’s looking better is because he hasn’t been eating that kind of crap. Puppy dog eyes when doggies are begging you for treats aren’t going to work anymore, she has to to encase her heart with steel and not let him get his own way, even if it’s just a “little bit”.

And don’t shut up! You’ve been very helpful. :slight_smile:

Ah **AbnB **- I’m yours with those three, special little words…“don’t shut up”…

Totally agree that the label would tell you all that to be, and be within regulation - trouble is that big money-making corporations lie to get around the rules…(do you believe that!?!) You can actually make him his own baby food by just putting everything in the blender (and even add a bit of that nutrient rich quinoa that he thinks is so evil heh heh…)

I know your mum is wanting to make Sparky all sparky again with rewarding his eyes-that-mesmerise with ‘treats’, and she will continue to do that until you look at her unblinkingly and say “Mum. You. Are. Killing. Snarky.” Harsh, I know (lol!) but she will have to break her habits pronto so that his contextual markers for food change i.e he eats only what is in his bowl, when it’s in his bowl. Since he’s past the training stage, even his treats must go in the bowl. Keep in mind that they are treats - not something he should get every day to just go with a cup of tea. Once a week really. And for good reason - not because it’s 5 o’clock on Sunday…

Dogs are like kids - so even when (not* if*!) his melty eyes stop working on mum, they’ll continue to weave their evil magic on all visitors and other relations who will want to sneak-him-just-a-little-bit-of-cake-or-bacon-or-ham because it’s only-a-little-bit-and-it-won’t-hurt-him (when we know it hurts him a lot).

Point out to all and sundry that a tiny bit of anything Sparky can’t have is akin to a tiny bit of poison, or just a little bullet. Let them know that in his non-inflamed pancreas is the true gift that keeps on giving… Remember: these are the people who go home and don’t have to clean up the vomit or worry about him when he seems ‘a bit funny.’

Vigilance will mean only 3 weeks until he never bothers using his adorable eyes to leap out of their sockets with hands and get food from anyone. So spread the word to All Who Enter The House… When he looks at you that way, pay him no attention whatsoever - not even “Sparky, don’t do that…” and certainly don’t pat him as a something-instead. Completely ignore him. Look away. Just look away, I tells ya…!

And you’ll have to help your mum be steely steel made of steel. She will falter until you threaten to send her to 6IT4B boot camp. Nobody ever gets out alive.

alice_in_wonderland your parent’s dog must have had some kind of genetic superness - renal insufficiency requires a high protein diet (though some may argue). What is necessary are low phosphate foods - and curiously, avocado can actually cause kidney disease and renal failure in dogs. Most of what is in the Campbell’s soup would have been on the list of Foods To Not Have, even aside from the high salt content - but hey, dogs continue to amaze.

Err… in the above post where I said ‘phosphates’ I meant to write ‘phosphorous’.

My brain is in inflamed sympathy with Sparky, and insufficient with that kidney talk floatin’ around…