The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-20-2010, 12:16 AM

Movies with the same plot.

Surely Dopers can come up with more of these?
Advertisements  
Old 08-20-2010, 12:49 AM

A crazy but compelling woman destroys both the professional and romantic life of a scientist, and ends up in his arms. Bringing Up Baby (Katharine Hepburn, Cary Grant and What's Up, Doc? (Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal).

ETA: Wait, do they have to be the same year? Because there's quite a gap between these two.

Last edited by Hilarity N. Suze; 08-20-2010 at 12:51 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 12:56 AM

Armageddon and Deep Impact. Both came out the same year.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:12 AM

A young man excited about a new job becomes a reluctant enviromentalist when he meets a woman who is part of a clan who worships sacred trees. When push comes to shove, the young man sides with the woman's people and stands up against his employer when the evil corporation decides to cut down the scared trees.

Ferngully, of course. And Avatar.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:17 AM

12:01 and Groundhog Day were both about a man reliving the same day over and over.

Honeymoon In Vegas and Indecent Proposal were both about a rich guy buying sex from another guy's wife because the other couple is desperate for cash.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:24 AM
BANNED

Taylor of Panama is Our Man in Havana
Made of Honor is My Best Friend's Wedding

Of course there are the countless Akira Kurosawa knock-offs which are too numerous to list...
Old 08-20-2010, 01:28 AM

A feisty redheaded young woman wants to escape marriage to a man she doesn't love. Her mother, played by Frances Fisher, is forcing her into the marriage to restore the family fortune. She also makes her wear tight, restricting clothing. The girl joins up with a young man from a nothing family who doesn't have a dime to his name, and they travel by boat to America. He teaches her some working-class skill that she later uses to her advantage. She also takes at least some of her clothes off. And dances and drinks with working-class people. The whole thing is based around a real-life event, and he almost dies at the end. Oops: in Titanic he does die. In Far and Away he was just unconscious.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 AM

Escape From New York and Escape From L.A.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post
A young man excited about a new job becomes a reluctant enviromentalist when he meets a woman who is part of a clan who worships sacred trees. When push comes to shove, the young man sides with the woman's people and stands up against his employer when the evil corporation decides to cut down the scared trees.

Don't forget Pocahontas!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:41 AM
Charter Member

Sam Neil goes on a mysterious journey and then gets eaten by be-tentacled monsters is the plot for both Event Horizon and From the Mouth of Madness.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:46 AM
BANNED

The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar

Philadelphia Story and High Society

Stalag 17 and Chicken Run

Star Trek II, The Wrath of Khan and Moby Dick - "From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee..."
Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian Slit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfkin477 View Post

Don't forget Pocahontas!

Also Dances with Wolves.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust4Life View Post
Quote:

Don't forget Pocahontas!

Also Dances with Wolves.
Apparently Avatar ripped off every movie ever made.

Last edited by Red Barchetta; 08-20-2010 at 05:27 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Don't forget Pocahontas!

Also Dances with Wolves.
I'll see your Dances With Wolves and raise you one Last Samurai.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:58 AM

James Bond must solve the problem of the disappearing American and Soviet craft before nuclear war breaks out. He joins forces with the beautiful female spy from a foreign country and learns that an evil genius heading a huge criminal organization is using a bizarre craft that envelops the American and Russian craft and abducts them. Bond infiltrates the Bad Guy's lair, frees the American and Russian captives, and together they fight against the Bad Guy's minions, utteerly destroying the headquarters.

You Only Live Twice (1967) and The Spy Who Loved Me (1977). In the original script, the Bad Guy in TSWLM was even identified as Ernst Stavro Blofeld, the Bad Guy in FYEO, but they couldn't legally use the character.

Thunderball and Never Say Never Again have the same plot, and many of the same names, but that really is pretty much a remake. There are lots of similarities between Goldfinger and A View to a Kill, too.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fried Dough Ho View Post
Philadelphia Story and High Society
High Society was a musical remake. That shouldn't count; any remake is going to have the same plot.

Harlow and Harlow. Both came out in 1965, about a month apart.

The Magnificent Seven and Battle Beyond the Stars
Old 08-20-2010, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

We've done this before:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=314388

The example I gave back then are two mid-1980's films about a young housewife who has a businessman husband who ignores her and who is fascinated by the adventures of a free-spirited young woman. When she falls and hits her head, she gets amnesia and imagines that she is the young woman she has been fantasizing about. She gets into real adventures where her life is in danger and begins an affair with a much more exciting man than her husband. Since she has amnesia, neither she nor this man realize that she is married. The adventures end happily with the crooks being caught, but then the woman recovers her memories. Her boring husband wants her to come back home with him and the man she has been having an affair with is willing to give her up, but she realizes that she actually loves this new man, so she chooses to leave her husband for him.

The two films are American Dreamer (1984) and Desperately Seeking Susan (1985)
Old 08-20-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The Magnificent Seven and Battle Beyond the Stars
Pretty clearly both consciously taken from the Seven Samurai (which was originally called "The Magnificent Seven" when it premiered in the US). Not to mention a Bug's Life. I don't think these ought to count, either. We ought to be going after coincidentally similarly plotted films, or those that indicate sheer laziness (like the Bond examples), according to perfectly sound principles I just made up.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minlokwat View Post
Quote:

Also Dances with Wolves.
I'll see your Dances With Wolves and raise you one Last Samurai.
I think I win this battle with On Deadly Ground
Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

From the parody show Forbidden Hollywood's "Gump the Magic Movie:

Everyone loves Forrest so why does no one care
That this same plot was used before in a film called Being There?
Old 08-20-2010, 08:32 AM

An aging baseball player/golfer (Kevin Costner) makes a love connection with a woman (Susan Sarandon/Rene Russo) who diagnoses his inadequacies on the field/course.

Bull Durham/Tin Cup
Old 08-20-2010, 08:36 AM

The life of Pu Yin, the last emperor of China, as told in the coincidentally released movies The Last Emperor and The Last Emperor.

actually, there's remarkably little overlap -- one film concentrates on his early life, before the Communists took over, while the other is mostly about his later life in Communist China. The two films complement each other nicely.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM

Attractive young man falls for intriguing attractive young woman, but it turns out she hangs out with a bunch of vampires. Initially this seems like fun; so much so, that the young man becomes a vampire himself. But after conflict with his younger sibling, he realises he doesn't want to be a vampire after all and in a climactic battle, helps see off the vampires and rescue the girl.

Near Dark and The Lost Boys, both 1987.

This vampire fad is nothing new.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar
Do remakes count in this thread? That doesn't seem right. Because then you could throw in a whole slew of Hollywood remakes of foreign films like Open Your Eyes/Vanilla Sky, Femme Nikita/Point of No Return, Let the Right One In/Let Me In and so on and so on.

The batch of films linked to in the OP were features that had no connection to each other that ended up having the same plot: like the forthcoming aliens-invade-LA movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham
The life of Pu Yin, the last emperor of China, as told in the coincidentally released movies The Last Emperor and The Last Emperor.
Similarly, two biopics on Steve Prefontaine went into production almost at the same time, giving the close-timed release of Prefontaine and Without Limits.

Last edited by Swallowed My Cellphone; 08-20-2010 at 09:34 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

A man loses the woman he loves as he becomes involved with parnormal forces & is tutored in their ways by an older mentor- The Mothman Prophecies and White Noise.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 AM

Not really the same plot, but:

1984 movie in which heroine played by Kate Capshaw sees the Bad Guy reach into a victim's chest with his bare hand and pull out the still-beating heart, which he shows to the victim who doesn't die.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and Dreamscape.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:43 AM

Alec Guinness plays a seemingly respectable middle class gent who recruits a gang of criminals of diverse backgrounds in order to pull off a a giant heist. The gang transport their loot right past the noses of the entire Police force successfully through clever misdirection. They are initially successful before one small detail eventually sees the whole plan unravel.

The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) and The Lady Killers (1955)
Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Meet cute. Obstacle to romance. Quirky friends. McGuffin. Hijinks. Happy ending.

Every Rom-Com ever made.

Last edited by silenus; 08-20-2010 at 09:49 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Does anybody remember... I thought around the same time the movie Phone Booth came out, there was a similar movie, only the protagonist was female. Phone Booth had Colin Farrell stuck on the phone while a sniper murdered people. He had to remain on the line... or else!

I seem to remember another movie with the same premise, only the phone hostage was a woman. I thought it was Diane Lane, but a quick check of her filmography turned up nothing.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Cellular with Kim Basinger

Last edited by USCDiver; 08-20-2010 at 10:09 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:12 AM

Improbably beautiful prostitute falls for an American schnook who wants to "save" her, after she sings the theme song which becomes a huge international hit. Breakfast at Tiffany's and Never On Sunday. Both circa 1961.

Video game takes on a life of its own. The Last Starfighter and War Games. Both circa 1984.

An under-appreciated singer is redeemed by True Love. I Walk the Line (2005) and Beyond the Sea (2004).

Family isn't what you're born into, it's where you find it. My Life as a Dog (1985) and Boogie Nights (1997).

Human guy falls hard for cartoon chick. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988) and Cool World (1992).

New girl in school sucks up to the popular clique to subvert them from within. Heathers (1989), Mean Girls (2004).

Eccentric trio saves city from pseudo-science gone berserk. Ghostbusters (1984), Evolution (2001).

Fake teacher instills a love of music. The Music Man, The School of Rock.

Sleazy rock star meets his number one fan. Bye Bye Birdie, Win a Date with Ted Hamilton!

Sexually precocious teenaged girl finds out men are scumbags. [Too numerous to mention.]

Big Momma's House and any Madea movie.

Last edited by Horatio Hellpop; 08-20-2010 at 10:13 AM..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Stalag 17 and Chicken Run
Thank you that it is two movies I can never watch again without making your association.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCDiver View Post
Cellular with Kim Basinger
Ah, that's it. Thank you. Now that look at the synopsis it isn't as similar as I (mis)remembered.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:20 AM

A writer of pulp westerns falls in love with a beautiful woman and gets drawn into a tale of intrigue, where he is finally forced to shoot and kill a former colleague whom everyone presumed to already be dead.
SPOILER:
The Crime of M. Lange (Renoir, 1936) and The Third Man (Reed, 1949)
In the days leading up to WWII, a woman and her anti-fascist husband seek refuge from the Nazis. Despite the fact that the couple are wanted and on the run, the man she loves risks his own life to kill the enemy agent who is in the position to jeopardize the couple's safety.
SPOILER:
Casablanca and Watch on the Rhine
Old 08-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

I thought the plot of Anal Adventurers Part VII was derivative of Spanking Schoolgirls, but I'm pretty demanding about stuff like that.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 08-20-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodil View Post
Video game takes on a life of its own. The Last Starfighter and War Games. Both circa 1984.
That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I recall the plots as more like this:

The Last Starfighter: Geeky trailer park boy is exceptionally good at video game, not knowing it is actually a selection tool to become a "Starfighter" for a rebel-alliance-alike band of aliens. Becomes the eponymous "Last Starfighter".

War Games: Spoilt teen with too much computer equipment in his bedroom dials random numbers with his modem looking for a system to play games with - unwittingly dials NORAD and nearly starts World War III.

Computer-game-not-what-it-seems plot element, sure, but not really the same plot.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swallowed My Cellphone View Post
Similarly, two biopics on Steve Prefontaine went into production almost at the same time, giving the close-timed release of Prefontaine and Without Limits.
Kundun and Seven years in Tibet both covered the life of the current Dalai Lama up until the Chinese occupation of Tibet, and were both released in 1997.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scougs View Post
Quote:
That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it? My memory may be playing tricks on me, but I recall the plots as more like this:

The Last Starfighter: Geeky trailer park boy is exceptionally good at video game, not knowing it is actually a selection tool to become a "Starfighter" for a rebel-alliance-alike band of aliens. Becomes the eponymous "Last Starfighter".

War Games: Spoilt teen with too much computer equipment in his bedroom dials random numbers with his modem looking for a system to play games with - unwittingly dials NORAD and nearly starts World War III.

Computer-game-not-what-it-seems plot element, sure, but not really the same plot.
Yeah, if you are too general, anything can have the same "plot".

"Brown haired boy loves brown haired girl and becomes a hero. Oh, and there's a computer game involved."
Old 08-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
An under-appreciated singer is redeemed by True Love. I Walk the Line (2005) and Beyond the Sea (2004).
Musician struggles a little, gets some fame, then is ruined by substance abuse.

Amadeus
The Doors
Sid & Nancy
Bird
Lady Sings the Blues
Ray
Round Midnight
The Runaways
Walk the Line
Walk Hard

What other 75 movies have this plot?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdn View Post
Quote:
Musician struggles a little, gets some fame, then is ruined by substance abuse.

Amadeus
The Doors
Sid & Nancy
Bird
Lady Sings the Blues
Ray
Round Midnight
The Runaways
Walk the Line
Walk Hard

What other 75 movies have this plot?
In fiction:

That'll Be The Day/Stardust
Breaking Glass
and, arguably, The Wall
Old 08-20-2010, 12:13 PM

1968 movie in which people uncover a long-buried black alien artifact. Although at first it seems incredibly inert (nothing sticks to it, no magnetic interaction), something triggers it and it sends out a signal that has important and long-lasting effects. It emerges that the aliens had a hand in shaping Man's evolution before he became Homo sapiens, and are responsible for our becoming super-intelligent. There is a suggestion that the artifact is tampering with our evolution even now, in the present day.

2001: A Space Odyssey of course, but also the motion picture version of Quatermass and the Pit, released in the US as Five Million years to Earth. Not really the same plot, although the above description (right down to the details) applies to both.

I suspect one or both of these influenced Stephen King when he wrote The Tommyknockers, which was later a TV movie, although he played it for horror. (With his customary xenophobia, which I find annoying -- aliens are always Eeeeevil in King). He's even got the ancient buried alien spacecraft.

Last edited by CalMeacham; 08-20-2010 at 12:13 PM..
Old 08-20-2010, 12:40 PM

It may have been on this board or another, but I remember that Star Wars' plot was ripped off almost completely by Eragon. Not having seen Eragon, I can't list the similarities
Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
(With his customary xenophobia, which I find annoying -- aliens are always Eeeeevil in King).
Jeez louise, he's a horror writer. Of course they're going to be evil!* That's like complaining that his books have too high a body count. "Why can't people just have tea and not be murdered in gory ways like always happens in his books?"

*or, to put it another way: Can you name one story that (a) takes place on earth, (b) is of the horror genre, and (c) only refers to aliens from outer space in a positive light?
Old 08-20-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Jeez louise, he's a horror writer. Of course they're going to be evil!*
Actually, yeah -- there are horror stories set in space in which the aliens aren't evil. And, as King himself keeps saying, he isn't just a horror writer. It just bugs me that he takes the view that aliens are evil as a given -- he doesn't even have the naive few going up to them (like in Wells' War of the Worlds, or Cornthwaite's character in The Thing) under the assumption that they're benevolent, before being blasted away. In a King story, everyone assumes they're evil. When everyone automatically attacks the alien in From a Buick Eight, my immediate reaction was "what the hell are you doing?", but to him, that was a normal reaction.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Improbably beautiful prostitute falls for an American schnook who wants to "save" her, after she sings the theme song which becomes a huge international hit. Breakfast at Tiffany's and Never On Sunday. Both circa 1961.

Family isn't what you're born into, it's where you find it. My Life as a Dog (1985) and Boogie Nights (1997).

Human guy falls hard for cartoon chick. Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (1988) and Cool World (1992).

New girl in school sucks up to the popular clique to subvert them from within. Heathers (1989), Mean Girls (2004).

Eccentric trio saves city from pseudo-science gone berserk. Ghostbusters (1984), Evolution (2001).

Fake teacher instills a love of music. The Music Man, The School of Rock.

Sleazy rock star meets his number one fan. Bye Bye Birdie, Win a Date with Ted Hamilton!

Sexually precocious teenaged girl finds out men are scumbags. [Too numerous to mention.]

Big Momma's House and any Madea movie.

Wow.. some of these are impossible stretches.
Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down View Post
Wow.. some of these are impossible stretches.
Kiss kiss bang bang - every movie here: www.imdb.com
Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

My favorite example of this the pair of John Wayne movies Rio Bravo and El Dorado. The town used-to-be-good-guy-but-is-now-a-drunk gets helped by John Wayne in a dispute with the local bad guy. John Wayne has a sidekick named after a state (Mississippi and Colorado), and there's a crabby deputy who helps out too. Upon a little searching I see there is a thread specifically about these two movies: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...d.php?t=539701
Old 08-20-2010, 02:11 PM

Airplane! and Zero Hour!
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalMeacham View Post
Thunderball and Never Say Never Again have the same plot, and many of the same names, but that really is pretty much a remake.
First one I thought of.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogSosoth View Post
It may have been on this board or another, but I remember that Star Wars' plot was ripped off almost completely by Eragon. Not having seen Eragon, I can't list the similarities
Young dreamer, being raised on a farm by his aunt and uncle (just an uncle in Eragon). Crazy neighbor who everyone thinks is an old senile buffoon, but the boy finds romantic escape in his tales of a former era. Old buffoon turns out to be a former elite fighter, and trains the boy to fight the current evil regime, particularly in use of the force/dragons..... I don't remember the rest.

I was also going to mention three undersea monster movies that all came out in 1989: Leviathan, DeepStar Six, and The Abyss. Granted the third one had a bit more substance to it, but the first two were practically identical.

Last edited by Tim R. Mortiss; 08-20-2010 at 02:23 PM..