Lower abdomen sensation - 'female boner'?

Er, so this may be a bizarre question. Occasionally when I feel a surge of attraction/affection for someone, I get a quickly-passing sensation almost like when dropping quickly on a roller coaster. I have a half-recollected memory that I read somewhere (on these boards?) that this is something to do with the inner female organs swelling with blood, or something - I think I heard it referred to as a ‘female boner.’

I’m trying to search for an actual scientific explanation or any cite beyond my memory. Perhaps one of you Dopers know what I’m talking about and could point me in the right direction?

Isn’t that just feeling butterflies in one’s stomach?

No, it’s lower than that. For me, it goes from my outer hips/lower belly, to my…ya know :wink:

And this happens with my husband of 10 years, so it’s not some goofy love at first sight thing.

Feeling up butterflies turns you on? Is that papillophilia?

I know exactly what you are talking about. Never gave it much thought but I get the same thing.

I always assumed it was a uterine contraction and sudden increased blood flow to the entire area. It feels similar to the uterine contractions I get during orgasm. It’s quite a jolting sensation.

Ohhhhh, that. I know what you’re talking about. :o

You would not believe your luck, khere! I’m house-sitting for my dad, and on his shelves is a book I remember sneaking when I was a little kid – it’s The Sex Contract: The Evolution of Human Behavior by Helen E. Fisher. The first chapter has a long description of the biological mechanisms of female arousal. That “lady boner” (what a term!) is due to increased blood flow to the genital area:

That passage left a big impression on me as a kid, because even as a child I was familiar with that funny feeling that I’d get from time to time, and finally I had an answer to what was going on.

And here we are, 20 years later, and my childhood secret book sneaking pays off. :slight_smile:

I’m totally going to tell Mr. Serenata that he gives me lady boners. That’s awesome.

I totally know the feeling you’re talking about… but I had never really thought about it.

I get this! I have always referred to as The Clench… Tho that’s only part of it :slight_smile:

Haha, gallows fodder, that’s awesome. Curiosity satisfied ;). Glad that at least some people know what I’m talking about too!

Did anyone else also get them at random, non-arousing times growing up, I guess the same way boys do? I didn’t know what the hell it was for the longest time - I didn’t link it to sexuality until my teens.

And this is one of the major reasons that there are 6 billion people on the planet earth.

Go for it, girl! Enjoy and embrace it!

Many years ago, an issue of Playboy called it a “wide-on.”

Yup, I sometimes get that feeling when thinking about someone I’m extremely attracted to. It was a little weird the first time I felt it.

I’ve heard that term and never understood it- is it that she “opens wide” to accept a hard-on, or something?

It’s not only sexual, right? I mean, I get that feeling when I’m about to read a good book. (Ahh, nothing like a full bag from Barnes & Noble…) When I’m excited about what I’m about to do in general, actually.

Yeah, well I’ve read some of those books too. :wink: