What the heck is going on with my ear (fluttering sensation)?

For the last couple of days, I’ve had a strange fluttering sensation in my right ear a handful of times per day. It seems to be accompanied by an unusual clenching feeling in my stomach, too. I haven’t had any other health changes recently except I’ve been feeling a bit tired, like I’m fighting off a cold. What do you think this is?

(I hope this passes the “medical advice” rule - I don’t think a fluttering ear is anything serious.)

My guess would be ear infection. That fluttering can be a sign, at least of the kind I get, and the stomach oddness can be a dizziness or vertigo sign. Have your doc check it out.

I have something like that happen pretty often, sort of like something was trying to use my ear drum as an actual drum, but without the stomach connection. It seems to be related to my sinuses being clogged and/or changes in air pressure.

Yeah, when you include the sickness feeling, an ear infection seems likely to me. The other option would be some nerve something, like I have. You haven’t been taking benzodiazepines for a long time, have you?

Nope, no benzos for a long time. I don’t seem to be experiencing any dizziness or vertigo, just the fluttering in my ear and the stomach clenching. I thought of a better word to describe it - sort of a shuddering in my ear.

I get that when I have an ear infection and also when I am suffering seasonal allergies. I think the eustachian tube is having a spasm.

Hmm, I do have hay fever, but that usually kicks up in spring, not fall. I’ve stopped taking my flonase for the allergies since the season should be well over; I tried using it again today to see if it is a congested tube thing.

I had that happen last year, and though I KNEW it wasn’t a bug, I still kept thinking, “What if there’s a bug in there?”

Anyway, I finally had a doc look in my ear, and it was a hard piece of wax that had broken loose and was kind of rattling around in there. After a few days it went away.

Stomach clenching … sounds like what I feel when I get an adrenaline surge. Not sure what that would mean here, but figured I’d throw that out.

Uh, CW, they’re discussing something over in Mundane . . . that you might want to look at.

Or not.

I have the ear fluttering often, in my left ear, but I always figured it was due to tinnitus.

I get that once in a while. I figure it’s the same thing as an eye twitch, or any other random muscle twitch.

Ummm, y’all get those once in a while, right?

I DO NOT!!!1!!!1!11!

Thanks anyway. :slight_smile:

I get a twitchy eye when I’m stressed - this is probably another fun manifestation of that.

I do. No stomach clenching or anything else, though. Just happens every once in a while out of the blue.

Update since I’m sure you were all wondering: Thursday, my damned ear was fluttering and my stomach clenching practically all day, driving me crazy. It got to the point I was almost thinking I was in danger of having a seizure or something. I took a long, hot bath that night, and kept my head and ears underwater for a long time, and it hasn’t fluttered since. I’m guessing something was stuck in my eustachian tube, irritating it, or the muscles were spasming and the hot water soothed them. Either way, I’m glad to be done with it. It was like being on the verge of a sneeze, over and over.

I was going to say maybe it’s water in the ear. Hell, I’ll say it: maybe it’s water in the ear

Have you had a haircut recently? I had problems with my ear and the doctor found a tIny hair from a recent haircut that was brushing up against my eardrum or something.

Nope, haven’t cut my hair in quite a while.

I think this may be what you are experiencing.

A rare type of objective tinnitus is called muscular tinnitus. One hears a rhythmic twitching noise or fluttering noise in the ear. This can be caused by an irregular contraction of one of the two ear muscles in the middle ear that are attached to the hearing bones. This is very similar to the twitching of the eyelids that some people experience upon occasion. Muscular tinnitus can be related to caffeine intake, lack of sleep, and stress. It can also occur independent of any apparent cause. Also, the muscles in the throat that open and close the Eustachian tube from the nose to the ear can have a similar spasm and cause muscular tinnitus. This form of tinnitus usually resolves with time. If it does not resolve in a short time, low doses of anti-seizure medications can usually stop the contractions. If these prove ineffective, the muscles in the middle ear can be cut to stop their contractions by a minor surgical procedure.

I actually did have a bug in my ear once. Mrsin filled my ear with oil and plucked the bastard out. Maybe you drowned it?