Whatcha Readin' Oct 2010 Edition

Happy Halloween. Pumpkins and ghosts and all that.

I’m reading Demon Blood by Meljean Brook, an amazingly dull urban fantasy with a mixed up mythology that so far I am having trouble tracking. Filled with demons, vampires, angels, guardians and Nephilim, it is (so far) hard for me to track who does what and why. It seems to be an excuse for bad romance writing. I’m about to give up on it.

Last month’s thread.

About 80% through The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, the third of Stieg Larsson’s Millenium trilogy. Enjoying it just as much as the first two.

I’m in the middle of Ape House, but once that’s out of the way I plan to get all ghoully with Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter, Edith Wharton’s Ghost Stories, and Stephen King’s The Stand.

Errors of Atheism by J. Angelo Corlett

After going through the index, I’m skimming some topics that interest me (the British monarchy, Bill Clinton, defense and foreign policy) in Tony Blair’s new autobio, A Journey. It’s pretty good - I may end up reading the whole book. Also finished Mark Millar’s graphic novel Kick-Ass, which isn’t nearly as good as the movie.

I just finished Annals of a Quiet Neighbourhood by George MacDonald, and am now reading a Dick Francis mystery, Rat Race.

Just finished Joe Hill’s Heart-Shaped Box, which I liked. Not perfect by any means, but it was good and had a few moments that were very good. Reminded me very much of his dad’s early books.

Moving on to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami.

Economics In One Lesson
by Henry Hazlitt

LINK to Amazon

I may have to watch the movie, then. I read Kick-Ass last week, I think, and really enjoyed it, and thought it was really clever.

First, it seems like we’re watching someone make the fatal mistake of assuming the laws of cartoon physics can be translated into the real world, without even referencing any particular comic, because afterall, there’s not really any comic hero who doesn’t have either a) super-powers or b) loads of money. But, surprisingly, after a brief set back, it turns out that it works after all. Works so well, in fact, that it allows “regular” people who just try to be superheros take out the entire criminal conglomerate. So, in a sense, it’s a comic that presents to reflect about the irreality of comics worlds, while completely validating them.

But YMMV may vary, I guess :slight_smile:

Those are valid points, Enterprise. The comics and the movie were made at the same time and there was some cross-pollination there, I’ve read. There are certainly differences between the two, as well, and I think the movie is better. Hope you like it, too!

I’m finishing up The Healing Of America: A Global Quest For Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care by TR Reid. I like it- a pretty good overview of how other countries provide health care for their citizens, and what we could learn from them. Will probably start Larsson’s …Hornet’s Nest next.

T.R. Reid hosted a PBS special a few years ago that compared Japan’s and Great Britain’s healthcare systems to the U.S.'s, and it was very good. Hadn’t known he wrote a book about it, too.

Still reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. and enjoying it.

Just finished The Help by Katherine Stockett, and about to start Pratchett’s I Shall Wear Midnight. I enjoyed The Help - I know some here have found it a little too pat, but I got very involved in the story.

Just starting DON’T VOTE, It Just Encourages the Bastards by P. J O’Rourke. It’s a sequel to his *Parliament of Whores-A Lone Humorist Attempts to Explain the Entire U.S. Government * from 1991.

Just started rereading William Goldman’s Adventures in the Screen Trade. I read it originally in the 80s but came across it for a few bucks online and got it. I am enjoying it just as much as first time around.

On my commute I am listening to Daniel Pink’s A Whole New Mind.

Finished Last Words of the Executed by Robert K. Elder. It wasn’t as interesting as I had hoped. Nearly everyone claimed to be on their way to see Jesus, some said they were guilty, some said they were innocent, many thought the death penalty should be abolished. Also, the book gave the quote from the condemned and then a description of their crimes. I would have preferred it the other way round.

Currently reading Class: A guide through the American status system, by Paul Fussell. I’ve just about decided that I’m a high proletariat, although I own books and don’t have any clothes with writing on them. Yay, I’m the cream of the crap!

Finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest and thus all of Stieg Larsson’s Millenium detective trilogy. I can highly recommend all three of the books. Reports are Larsson had plans for 10 novels and had 3/4 of the next installment written on his computer when he died. I have to say the world lost a really great writer.

A couple of minor points I found annoying. One is his ridiculous “Thai” name in the second book that he obviously made up; I suppose he thought it sounded Asian. And in the third book is a throwaway reference to “Thailand’s pedophile industry,” for which he obviously relied on what “everyone just knows” and did not bother to check out the present reality, odd behavior for an investigative reporter. I don’t think he knew much about Thailand. But these are only two sentences in countless thousands and can be forgiven in this case.

Not being a boxing fan, I was astounded to learn recently that Paolo Roberto, a major character in the second book, is a real person! A real Swedish boxer despite his decidedly un-Swedish name (he is of partial Italian heritage, I learn from his Wikipedia entry here). I caught on that he was real when I read he played himself in the Swedish film version. “What’s this?” I thought. “How can a fictional character play himself?:confused:” So I looked him up and learned who he was. In the story, he’s one of the good guys, naturally.

Next up is The Lost Symbol, by Dan Brown. The wife read it first and has questions, but of course I would not let her ask me anything until I’d read it. Now she’s just started Larsson’s Millenium trilogy herself.

Finished Odd Is On Our Side. I am a fan of Dean Koontz’ Odd Thomas series (although the first is the best) and so I bought this without looking too closely.

This one is prequel and a graphic novel. I’m not really a fan of the genre and I’m disappointed that this is the second time I’ve bought a book by an author I read without knowing it was a graphic novel.

It was quick and light, low on plot and high on pictures. I didn’t hate it, but certainly wouldn’t recommend it unless you really like both Odd Thomas and graphic novels.

The Blessings of the Animals by Katrina Kittle, about a veterinarian whose rescue animals help get her though her divorce.