Recommend me some Werewolf Fiction.

For the record I’m 40, so no Twilight or similar please.

I am a horror fiction fan looking for something new to read ( and I’ve had a few to drink so please excuse the typos).

I prefer werewolves to vampires so please recommend something to read.

Thanks.

a slightly inebriated.

Walker

Wolf’s Hour

Surely, there are cheaper versions out there? Heh :slight_smile:

It’s out of print, but Jeffrey Sackett’s MARK OF THE WEREWOLF. Zoaraster (sp?) and Claudia Procula Pilate are characters.

The Werewolf of Paris by Guy Endore

Robert Stallman wrote an excellent werewolf trilogy back around 1980: The Orphan, The Captive, and The Beast. Unfortunately all three have long been out of print so you’ll have to look around for used copies.

Sadly it seems that all of the good werewolf fiction is out of print. I will keep searching for cheap secondhand copies.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, please keep them coming.

George R.R. Martin wrote a fine werewolf novella by the name of “The Skin Trade” (get it?). You can find it in his recent anthology *Dreamsongs *- Volume 2, I think. Both volumes are etremely worth buying.

Surviving Frank. It’s a buddy cop/mystery thriller, except one of the cops is a werewolf. Here’s the Amazon description:

Patricia Briggs writes a series that has werewolves, vampires, and other supernatural critters, with the central character being a skinwalker…a woman who shifts shape to a coyote. She was raised with werewolves, and understands them as well as any non-werewolf can. Shifters are different than weres, though, as they have their roots in the New World and weres originated in the Old World. It’s a current series, up to about number 6, and it’s the Mercy Thompson series. I think the first one is Moon Called.

Briggs has several other books out, and I’ve never been disappointed in any of them.

Donna Boyd wrote two – The Passion and The Promise. The books have a love story but they’re not overly romantic, and present a somewhat realistic picture of werewolves surviving and thriving in human society.

Cheri Scotch’s werewolf books are pretty good.

Not werewolves, but damn good – Wolfen by Whitley Strieber (written before he was alien-probed). Also not werewolves (shape-changers) – Darker Than You Think by Jack Williamson. He makes shape-changing very alluring, you can feel the sense of power.

Anthony Boucher, “The Compleat Werewolf”
Jack Williamson, Darker Than You Think

The Night Watch series by Sergei Lukyanenko has several secondary characters that are were-critters. It’s not focused on werewolves, but is definitely worth reading.
ETA: That’s what I get for not refreshing the screen before posting…

ETA again: H. Warner Munn also did a series of werewolf stories. I’ve only read The Werewolf of Ponkert, and thought it was pretty meh.

And I assume you already looked in Wikipedia?

In a slightly less serious note - have you read the Diskworld books? A werewolf character appears prominently in several of them; the Fifth Elephant in particular meets every definition of a werewolf novel.

Most of the books I can recommend aren’t really in the “horror” genre. Urban fantasy has a ton of werewolves and some authors that are pretty good are Ilona Andrews, Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson, not the other series), and Carrie Vaughn, though all of these fall prey to the romanticization of werethings.

Maybe check out Benighted by Kit Whitfield.

James Blish’s novella “There Shall be no Darkness.”
Poul Anderson’s novels *Operation Chaos *and *Operation Luna *have a good werewolf as the hero.
Anthony Boucher’s novella “The Compleat Werewolf”. If this doesn’t make you laugh, O Walker in Eternity, I would question whether you have a sense of humor.

Detop beat me to it. I highly recommend this novel. I read it 60 years ago and have never forgotten it. (There are also a couple of scenes in the book that a 14-year old boy found quite sexy.)

The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub has werewolves in it. King also wrote Cycle of the Werewolf, an illustrated short novel that was adapted into the movie Silver Bullet.

Frostbite:A Werewolf Tale by David Wellington

Is Moondance by the impossibly multi-talented* S P Somtow really “The Great American Werewolf Novel”? Pretty bloody–but you know how werewolves are!

• Also known asSomtow Sucharitkul, artistic director of the Bangkok Opera & composer of * The Silent Prince*, a “Bollywood Opera” opening here in Houston this Friday!