Who would you cast in a movie about Lincoln?

Stephen Spielberg has been working on a big budget movie about Lincoln for several years now that’s evidently been consigned to development Purgatory. Liam Neeson and Sally Fields were attached as Abe and Mary for several years but both have since pulled out (apparently they were paid for an option of several years but it lapsed and neither was interested in renewing).

Personally I never liked the idea of Neeson anyway- he’s a great actor and he has the height but he’s too beefy for Lincoln and he has too deep and distinguished a voice. Lincoln was wiry and tough but at his best slim and at his worst painfully thin and his voice was unanimously described as high pitched, all wrong for an orator and possessed of an extremely thick western (today “midwestern”) country accent that he sometimes exaggerated for effect- basically you could never portray his real voice as its described without people thinking you were mocking him, but at least you shouldn’t give him Neeson’s booming stage voice.

Also I personally wouldn’t do a movie on Lincoln as he’s far too complex. Even if you take just the Civil War years you couldn’t do justice without a miniseries. Unfortunately Stephen Spielberg has yet to take my advice on his film projects and frankly I think that’s why he hasn’t gone further. (Speaking of miniseries I thought Sam Waterston acted the part excellently in the 1980s Gore Vidal miniseries except that he lacked the height to be physically convincing, Lincoln’s 6’4 being like a man of at least 6’6 today; I thought Mary Tyler Moore overacted the hell out of Mary Todd, showing the manic madness of the woman but never the pathos and humanity.)

Anyway, my choices, and feel free to cast any role you wish other than just Lincoln himself for characters you’d see in a Lincoln flick:

Tim Robbins: he has the height, he can do the voice (or as close as most film producers would let you get), you can believe him as somebody who is glad to let you think he’s a rube but is really a genius and a man whose coarse and ribald sense of humor masks a very dark contemplative soul. Of key importance though Robbins does not get any kind of script approval or editorial control (not that he doesn’t have talent but he’s way too left wing and politically vocal and the last thing you want in a Lincoln piece is an actor with passionate political opinions).

If Robbins won’t contain himself, then Jeff Daniels, who’s also very good indeed at his best, can do broad comedy and drama, and is very tall and not particularly good looking.

I wish Jon Hamm or Tom Hanks (a distant relative- George Clooney’s a much closer relative but that would be like mistaking a Corvette for a Buick Skylark) were taller as with some makeup they’d be perfect, but c’est la vie.

Two actors who got excellent reviews for stage portrayals of Lincoln are Fred Gwynne (Herman Munster, Judge Haller) who played the role opposite Kate Mulgrew as Mary, and- the harder one to believe- Richard Moll (Bull from Night Court) whose touring production of The Lincoln/Douglas Debates was praised including by critics who expected it to be terrible.

Mary Todd is a bit harder to cast with today’s crop of actresses who could convincingly play 40 something bipolar women. She was not a conventional beauty by today’s standards- she was very petite in her youth (5’0 to 5’2) and a bit chubby by the White House years. Anyone know of any actress who’s simultaneously short, round, and has the acting chops to play a histrionic “Madame Hellcat” without being cartoonish and showing the humanity?

(A white Octavia Spencer [who’s got the acting talent in droves and the right size] would be incredible but I don’t think they’d let you cast her as is for Mary; ditto a younger Patrika Darbo, but she’s a few years too old for the role now.)

After watching a show where Brad Garrett played Jackie Gleason I gained a new respect for his acting, an I think he might be able to do it well. He certainly has the height(possibly too much), and does the somber, almost grim, determined focus thing as well as anybody today. And I think He has the voice to do the ‘riveting orator’ part of Lincoln justice.

The only questions are, can he wear the beard and hat without looking doofy, He has a bit of a weird head really, and is he just too largely built to play the rail that was lincoln.

Not sure I’ll ever see anyone other than Raymond Massey as Lincoln…

I don’t know if height should be such a problem. If John Rhys-Davies was Gimi - and he was, I think, the tallest of the man actors - you can pull a reasonble tall ( 1.80 m - 5’11") guy, who was skinny to play 1.94/6’4" Abe.
Tom Hanks could do it.

Coincidentally, here is a recent article on the casting for Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

Suggested: Ralph Fiennes, Colin Firth, Conan O’Brien and Edward Norton.

Pity Zelda Rubenstein is gone…

You mention George Clooney above. I’ll agree he’s wrong for Lincoln, but, as a complete hijack, damn! He’s fine looking. I’'m a straight guy, but I certainly recognize his attractiveness. Comparing actors to Cary Grant is a bit of a cliche, but Clooney, now that he’s got a few years on him, does have a certain resemblance.

Garret Dillahunt.

He’s tall, gaunt, and craggy-faced. He also has the right voice - high pitched and awkward sounding.

Besides having the right physical attributes for the role, he also has a lot of experience with period pieces (Deadwood, The Assassination of Jesse James) and Southern/Western accents.)

I can’t possibly think of a better fit for the role than him.

Garret Dillahunt.

Danny DeVito and Al Franken. You decide who plays who.

Actually, I like the Jeff Goldblum idea. As for the woman to play Mary, I can’t see how it would matter too much to me. The male lead will be the critical one in this flick.

With some padding and aging Christina Ricciwould be a good Mary Todd (shown here at approximately the same age as Ricci).

I’m putting my stakes with Daniel Day-Lewis.

Unfortunately, Mr. Spielberg isn’t returning my calls. Of course, the poor chap probably can’t afford the long-distance call fee.

James Cromwell

He’s 6’7", can grow a good beard, and a pretty fair actor.

Michael Cera.

Joel McHale. He’s 6’4" and skinny, but has the toned arms of somebody who split rails for a living. A bit young at 38, but Lincoln was only 51 when elected, so he’s a better age match for the years leading up to the Civil War. The guys already in their mid to late 50s might work for the beaten-down Lincoln at the end of the war, but not for the vibrant newcomer that he was previous.

Remember Aby Baby was so ugly he had to marry a crazy women to get laid

I was going to say Jeff Goldblum too.

I’m gonna go with Ben Cross. At 5’11", he’s missing a few inches, but is gaunt and stoic enough to be Abe.

Damn, you’re right!

James Cromwell is a hell of an actor but he’s 70 years old, after all, and looks it.

While Lincoln is supposed to have had a high pitched voice, rather than the deep and commanding one he’s so often been portrayed as having, I’m not sure have a high pitched voice is important; if anything, it might be a distraction. Patton also had a high pitched voice, but nobody doubts that George C. Scott truly captured the essence of the character while playing him with a very manly, commanding voice.

For Mary, why not Kathy Bates?

Ed Norton. Lanky, awesome actor, high pitched whitey voice, and able to play any role handed to him regardless of whether he’s ever done anything like it before or not.