NPR listeners, anyone else love how Ofeibea Quist-Arcton says Dakar?

Any NPR listeners out there notice this: when NPR correspondent Ofeibea Quist-Arctonis reporting from Dakar, she doesn’t just end her piece with - “Ofeibea Quist-Arcton, reporting from Dakar.” No it’s, "Ofeibea Quist-Arcton DakAAAAAAAAr! "

Is it just me? I love how she says it. :slight_smile: I know it’s her Ghana roots coming out in her accent, but it usually comes out loud and in force, sometimes her endings are more powerful than her story’s - but I love it!

I usually say it along with her: DakAAAAAAAAr!

Oh yeah, when my wife and I are listening in the car we chime in in unison.

Awesome.

It’s kinda disappointing when she reports from another African city. I miss her usual sign off.

Great journalist, wonderful voice, lovely name, and Dakaaaaaaaaar. One of my favorites.

I think I heard her this morning. DaKAAAAAAAR!

ETA: Holy mackerel, that was Tuesday. Time flies.

It bugs me the way she says it, for some reason. I wonder if it’s a dialectical thing, like the way some Spanish-speakers draw out the end of sentences, or like ‘Valley girls’ turn every sentence into a question; or if ‘Dakar’ is supposed to be drawn out like that.

Speaking of NPR, what’s Cloudy O’Sanchez up to nowadays?

:wink:

Yes! something wonderfully throaty and emphatic about it.

I wait for it EVERY time!

Egad! there’s a face made for radio.

Also, I’ve never seen her name in print before.

We have some good ones from correspondents who show up on CBC News:

(impressively clenched British accent) “For CBC News, this is Sabina Castelfranco in Reuhm.”
(extremely staccato busy-reporter cadence) “Foahr CBC News, this is Steve Futterman in Loahs Anjeliss.”

I listened to a clip on NPR.org because i don’t recall ever having heard her before. She says it just a bit differently in the body of the story than in the sign-off. But it is still distinct.

Wonder how she’d sound reporting on the last words of Joseph of Aramethia.

I was reading a book earlier today that mention Drakkar Noir. I heard it in a different voice than usual. DraKKAAAAAAAR!

I’m so glad you posted her names. Because for the life of me, I couldn’t even begin to conjure up a spelling for any of them.

And put me down as another who loves how she says “Dakaaar!” My mind will often pick up random words and phrases and repeat them a bazillion times in my head, and that one has gotten thrown in the wash a couple of times. I know it should be annoying, but it isn’t.

I think the correspondants should all have little voice trademarks like that.

Holistically I can read it, but each letter looks so wrong.

but yeah — DAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR. Maybe she should be the honorary president of TLAPD.

Oh yeah, count me as a DakAAAAR nut. :wink:

And I love hearing her pronounce her name as much as I enjoying hearing ***Sylvia Poggioli ***pronounce hers…is it “Sil-vya PO-ZHO-li”?

It’s very cool.

I think she pronounces it closer to standard pronunciation with a geminated “j” /dʒ/ – /podʒ: o:li/ (po-jjo-lee)

Damien Grammaticus! Who calls their baby boy Damien Grammaticus?! - but it’s a great sounding name I think…