The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

View Poll Results: Do you wake up with a bad taste I your mouth?
Always 1 0.93%
Most of the time 18 16.67%
Sometimes 25 23.15%
Not usually 19 17.59%
Rarely 25 23.15%
Never 15 13.89%
I don't want to vote but want to see the results 1 0.93%
What a ridiculous idea for a poll 4 3.70%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 PM

It tastes like someone took a shit in my mouth

This doesn't happen all of the time, or if it does, I don't always notice, but this morning when I got up I had an awful taste in my mouth. I've always assumed that this was true for everyone, but I think that's mainly from having seen too many mouthwash commercials growing up.

It's not a big deal and drinking some juice or coffee solves the problem right away. I think it's dangerous to try to brush your teeth if you're not fully awake - you might not realize you've inserted the brush into your nose, an ear or some other orifice.

I know some medications can cause this problem but that's not what I mean. For example a lot of people, myself included, have had that problem at least temporarily with Wellbutrin.

So how do you taste in the morning - your mouth I mean. If you open wide will I see nymphs and gnomes frolicking under double rainbows or Satan's sphincter?
Advertisements  
Old 11-13-2010, 11:57 PM
Charter Member

I don't know. What does it taste like when someone takes a shit in your mouth?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napier View Post
I don't know. What does it taste like when someone takes a shit in your mouth?
It tastes like you took a Lunesta the night before. Terrible.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:23 AM

Nope. I'm sure I often have bad breath upon waking up, but that doesn't translate into a bad taste experience for me.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:35 AM

Get your teeth looked at. A tooth with a bad cavity or an infection can literally smell like shit.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:49 AM

Also, try drinking more water. Especially if you're on any meds--a lot of pills will leave you parched, and a dry mouth contributes to bad breath and rapid tooth decay.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:15 AM
BANNED

I don't recall ever having such an experience.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

A couple of the meds I take cause dry mouth, which is what allows microbes to really takeoff in their attempt to take over the world [or at least fully colonize my mouth] so I keep a glass of water at bedside and drink whenever I wake up at night.

It also hits during the day, I can taste a change in my saliva throughout the day based on my meds dosing. I am very glad to be off one of my old meds, it used to make the saliva taste like mildew. I tend to keep some binaca or other breath freshening spray to use in addition to drinking copious water to deal with the dry mouth issue.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:08 AM

I get it quite often, I think it mainly happens when I sleep with my mouth open because my tongue will feel all numb and dry.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzero View Post
It's not a big deal and drinking some juice or coffee solves the problem right away. I think it's dangerous to try to brush your teeth if you're not fully awake - you might not realize you've inserted the brush into your nose, an ear or some other orifice.
That made me giggle.

I wake up, pee and brush my teeth and then wash my face and brush my hair. I have to brush my teeth first thing--I hate the morning taste/breath.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:25 PM

Do you ever get tonsiliths?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scrivener View Post
Do you ever get tonsiliths?
No tonsils so no tonsilths.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 PM

I sometimes wake up with a bad taste in my mouth, and I finally figured out what was causing it a couple of months ago. If I drink anything other than water, or eat anything within 2 hours of going to sleep, I'll wake up with an awful taste in my mouth. Doesn't matter if I brush my teeth or not before going to sleep.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenaroph View Post
Get your teeth looked at. A tooth with a bad cavity or an infection can literally smell like shit.
This has been true for me. Also, if I fall asleep without brushing after I've eaten peanuts I wake up tasting pure awfulness.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:29 PM

Forgot to mention earlier-there are mouthwashes&toothpastes that promote saliva production. I don't remember the brand names, but my dentist gave me free samples of the stuff a while back. I don't buy the stuff because I'm a cheapskate and prefer to just drink lots of water and chew sugar-free gum (this also increases saliva production, obviously) any time I can't brush immediately after eating.

Last edited by Pandoranoid; 11-14-2010 at 05:30 PM..
Old 11-14-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Accident View Post
I sometimes wake up with a bad taste in my mouth, and I finally figured out what was causing it a couple of months ago. If I drink anything other than water, or eat anything within 2 hours of going to sleep, I'll wake up with an awful taste in my mouth. Doesn't matter if I brush my teeth or not before going to sleep.
If that happened to me I would probably suspect a problem like acid reflux.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:33 PM

Oh, just found my mouthwash sample bottle. It's called 'Biotene'. a bit more expensive than normal toothpaste/mouthwash. It did work, though.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:45 PM

No bad tastes, but I frequently wake up feeling like there's a brick in my stomach. I'm one of those people that has to wait at least an hour before eating anything after I wake up, but a problem that has cropped up within the last couple years is that if I drink anything too fast within the first 15 minutes or so of awakening, I throw it right back up 10 seconds later. Including water. No problems later in the day. I think my digestive system is just delayed in resetting itself to Day Mode in the mornings.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemac View Post
... I think it mainly happens when I sleep with my mouth open because my tongue will feel all numb and dry.
Me too, usually if I have a cold or bad allergies completely clogging my nose. Almost always presaged by dreams of having broken glass, or sand, or coffee grounds, or cold chewed-up wax, or something else nasty, gritty, and hard to spit out in my mouth, to the extent that if I actually get a bit of something like that in my mouth in real waking life, I get a very strong sensation of nightmarish doom. D-O-O-O-O-MMMM. So please be gentle with the coffee filter, kthx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoranoid View Post
Oh, just found my mouthwash sample bottle. It's called 'Biotene'. a bit more expensive than normal toothpaste/mouthwash. It did work, though.
I like the Biotene brand. They have nice but expensive toothpaste, too. IIRC it's sweetened with xylitol, which I find very helpful for dry mouth issues generally (such as in mints or gum).

ETA: Oh, and OP, flossing every night helps.

Last edited by emmaliminal; 11-14-2010 at 06:02 PM.. Reason: free advice
Old 11-15-2010, 10:21 AM

You say you have no tonsils, so this probably doesn't apply -- but the worst taste I ever had was the day after I started taking antibiotics for an abcess that had developed behind one of my tonsils. The nasty thing burst while I was sleeping. It didn't taste so much like shit as that something had died back there, which in a way I suppose it had (if you count bacteria). Gah, that was nasty.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 AM

May I recommend Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis if you can get hold of a copy. There's a very funny description of how the hero wakes up after having emptied his boss's liquor cabinet the evening before. Among other things "a little creature of the night had used his mouth first as a latrine and then as a mausoleum. He didn't feel good".
Old 11-15-2010, 11:46 AM

Hijack...

I love that passage - the preceding part is:
Quote:
Dixon was alive again. Consciousness was upon him before he could get out of the way; not for him the slow, gracious wandering from the halls of sleep, but a summary, forcible ejection. He lay sprawled, too wicked to move, spewed up like a broken spider-crab on the tarry shingle of the morning. The light did him harm, but not as much as looking at things did; he resolved, having done it once, never to move his eye-balls again.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koxinga View Post
You say you have no tonsils, so this probably doesn't apply -- but the worst taste I ever had was the day after I started taking antibiotics for an abcess that had developed behind one of my tonsils. The nasty thing burst while I was sleeping. It didn't taste so much like shit as that something had died back there, which in a way I suppose it had (if you count bacteria). Gah, that was nasty.
I had a tooth abscess once that ruptured. Those are supposed to smell extremely awful but I didn't notice anything. Usually things crawl up one's ass to die but some furry creatures may not have gotten the memo.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 AM

I've found that if I brush or use mouthwash before going to bed, my morning breath is much more palatable. It's not smelling like roses or anything, but its not as stanki-fied.