The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-17-2010, 09:32 AM

Do Men's Eyebrows tend to start growing longer as they get older?

When I was younger, I don't ever remember being conscious about my eyebrows. There were much like the hair on my arms, just there, and basically staying the same length.

However in the last 5-10 years, I have to trim my eyebrows about every 3 weeks or so. The hairs are long enough to some of the hairs grow to over an inch long.

I have noticed many older men with very long eyebrows. Kind of like this guy. But I don't think I ever see a young guy with really long eyebrows.
Advertisements  
Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 AM

I can't speak for other men, but I have to trim mine every few weeks. If I let them go for over a year, I could probably braid them.

This started maybe in my mid-30s.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 AM

Yes. It's one of the long-term effects of having so much testosterone in one's body.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:10 AM

Yep, better have a look see around your ears as well.

I think it's especially prolific if you're in academia. Some of their eyebrows look like they're ready to filter krill.

Last edited by lieu; 11-17-2010 at 10:12 AM..
Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 AM

Mine have started up as well. I quite like them, but then I'm going for an Evil Mad Scientist look.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieu View Post
Yep, better have a look see around your ears as well.

I think it's especially prolific if you're in academia. Some of their eyebrows look like they're ready to filter krill.
ROFL.

Remember the old guys in the politburo pictures that came out of Moscow every few years? Talk about some serious eyebrows...
Old 11-17-2010, 11:23 AM

Yep, over the last couple of years I've noticed a marked increase in eyebrow length. Not uniform, unfortunately - a few here and there that like to stand out from the crowd. I trim 'em. If all of 'em started doing that I'd probably let 'em grow for a while, but as it is it looks scruffy so down they go.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
Yes. It's one of the long-term effects of having so much testosterone in one's body.
sort of a "male" menopause then?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
sort of a "male" menopause then?
We prefer 'manopause'.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible spoon View Post
We prefer 'manopause'.
That sounds better than a 'womenopause'.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 PM

I have a few rogue eyebrow hairs that I need to snip. Funny, even if I pluck the bastards out, new rogues grow back in the same location.

And, yeah, I've been shaving my ears for a while now too.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:10 PM

The first time I went to the barbers after I turned 30, as if by magic they offered to trim my eyebrows. (They had no idea how old I was, BTW)

My dad has ridiculously bushy eyebrows, and he won't let anyone trim them. They're long enough that I bet he could comb them into his hair, covering his whole forehead.

Think Dennis Healey, although my dad's hair hasn't receded at all.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:17 PM

I noticed some of my eyebrow hair starting to grow in longer about the time I turned 45.

I plan to just let them keep growing in the event I start balding and need a combover.
Old 11-17-2010, 07:45 PM

As others noted, it's not just eyebrows. Ear hair and nose hair also go wild and need weekly attention.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Can anyone recommend a high quality, inexpensive, electric nose/ear hair trimmer then?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 PM

I aspire to have great bushy eyebrows like John L. Lewis. Also gouts of bristly hair sprouting from my ears and big yellow teeth like an old horse. Iíve never been attractive to women before, why hope for anything else now?
Old 11-17-2010, 11:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runcible spoon View Post
We prefer 'manopause'.
Manopause: when everything starts to get bigger, hairier and closer to the ground

Definition stolen from Red Meat
Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 PM

My hair stylist started trimming my eyebrows a few years back (I was probably about 40 at the time), after she noted that a few were getting longish. She does the trim now as part of my regular every-4-week haircut.

A few years ago, I saw an older guy on the L, whose eyebrows were so out of control that he looked like Thufir Hawat from Dune.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:07 AM

im 27 and i trimmed my eyebrows for the first time last week. they have been connecting together to form a single brow for several years now, i shave them apart
Old 11-18-2010, 12:41 AM

Bushy unibrow... there's an unsettling concept.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:57 AM

Mine gave disappeared
Old 11-18-2010, 04:56 AM

It was a sad day for me when I first had to trim my eyebrows - another indication that I had become old.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 AM

If you're interested in studying this phenomenon further, watch the last five minutes of 60 Minutes each week.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtilque View Post
Manopause: when everything starts to get bigger, hairier and closer to the ground

Definition stolen from Red Meat
I used to have a National Lampoon article from the early 1980s, which talked about how to choose a bride. It talked about all kinds of things, but one point was that as women age, "everything gets bigger, hairier, and closer to the ground."
Old 11-18-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpBE View Post
If you're interested in studying this phenomenon further, watch the last five minutes of 60 Minutes each week.
"Didja ever notice how bushy my eyebrows have gotten over the years? My barber asks if he should trim them for me. I don't let him."

Last edited by kenobi 65; 11-18-2010 at 04:22 PM..
Old 11-18-2010, 11:34 PM

I don't know how Andy Rooney (or anyone) can stand the long eyebrows. If a get a rogue hair growing long, I am trimming it.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 AM

As an older man [cough], my eyebrows don't seem to be getting longer, they just seem to be curlier. I also have to trim my ears, externally.

I also have to shout at kids in my yard and drive at least five miles per hour below the posted speed limit and eat dinner at 4 p.m.

I also sometimes, forget what I'm doing, but I don't think that's because of age, it just means that I hate it when the I have to mow the lawn and there's no milk in the refrigerator. Why is there no bacon in the refrigerator? Because I have to change the air filter in the furnace and where's my wallet? Has anyone seen my wallet? I have to go to the store and buy toilet paper. What?

Dancing with the Stars is on? OK, I'll turn on the radio.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfrommensa View Post
When I was younger, I don't ever remember being conscious about my eyebrows. There were much like the hair on my arms, just there, and basically staying the same length.

However in the last 5-10 years, I have to trim my eyebrows about every 3 weeks or so. The hairs are long enough to some of the hairs grow to over an inch long.

I have noticed many older men with very long eyebrows. Kind of like this guy. But I don't think I ever see a young guy with really long eyebrows.
No. It's just that vanity decreases and we forget to trim.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Suspended

It would be interesting to see an informed reply

There is evidently a real phenomena at "a certain age" of increased / changed hair, I'm sure rather than flimsy anecdote someone knows of actual science on this.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

It's actually the skin on one's head shrinking.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:20 AM

I am not a hairy person. I have almost no hair on my legs, arms and body, but my head has lots of hair and my eyebrows need trimming each month. My beard is quite heavy and sometimes I get some hairs growing on my ears.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 PM

By 30 I started to notice the lengthiness of my brow hair, especially a particular grey one that keeps growing in the same spot that I keep plucking. Nose hair are now starting to escape my nostrils, threatening friends and loved ones.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfellows View Post
There is evidently a real phenomena at "a certain age" of increased / changed hair, I'm sure rather than flimsy anecdote someone knows of actual science on this.
Post number 3 was a scientifically accurate post.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

To add to post 3's scientific bent, long term testosterone has some interesting effects on hair, but those effects vary with the part of the body involved.

For example, parts of men's scalp have hair that will both become less robust and have a shortened cycle of growth and shedding. If you examine the scalp on the top of a "bald" man's head, you will find very fine hairs...in some cases nearly microscopic. This sort of skin has hair follicles that are influenced by male hormones to change from robust hair with a long growth/shed cycle. Note that for all practical purposes, all men have skin/hair follicles in the lower parts of the scalp that do not respond in this fashion, and the hair appears to be normal.

And then we have the other parts.....ah yes! The hair follicles in the nose, eyebrows, back, chest all will respond to differing degrees to testosterone (it may take some time for the cells that produce the hair itself to actually respond)...resulting in hairs apparently appearing in profusion where we thought there were none. Therein lies the mistake. Those hairs in the ears, nose, back, eyebrows and so forth were always there, but were not responding to testosterone and remained their wimpy preadolescent selves until being awash in male hormones.

BTW, since women have the same hairs present on their bodies, after menopause we might think that women would grow hairs, as there are male hormones produced by the adrenal glands in females...which are no longer overwhelmed by female hormones. Therefore Granny may grow a stray hair here and there.

Hopefully this helps.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Something was irritating my eye a few weeks ago. After rubbing at it a while, I finally looked in the mirror to see if I had a stray eyelash in there. No, it was a big bristly eyebrow hair that had flipped down and was strumming across the tips of my eyelashes, like a spider testing his webbing. Time for another trim.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do Men's Eyebrows tend to start growing longer as they get older?
As the men get older or as the eyebrows get older?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I wouldn't mind so much if they all pointed in the same direction. They don't - every one is a free spirit, seeking its own path.

The hairs on my scalp fall naturally into place - why can't they follow this good example?

And the barber wanted to wax them. No, Just no.

Regards,
Shodan
Old 11-19-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstone View Post
BTW, since women have the same hairs present on their bodies, after menopause we might think that women would grow hairs, as there are male hormones produced by the adrenal glands in females...which are no longer overwhelmed by female hormones. Therefore Granny may grow a stray hair here and there.
Actually, those stray hairs on women appear a lot sooner than menopause - around 30 for a lot of us just like the reports in this thread of bushier eyebrows in men (an age in women that marks the first significant decline in fertility). I think you only notice them on older women because after a couple of decades they say screw it and stop bothering to tweeze them out.

Last edited by elfkin477; 11-19-2010 at 10:44 PM..
Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 PM
Charter Member

Eyebrows are not mentioned, but Cecil has commented on manly growth of hair in ears and nose....
Old 11-20-2010, 01:33 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketeer View Post
Post number 3 was a scientifically accurate post.
Yes, but bare bones and lost amidst a sea of wanker IMHO anecdote that so often drowns out interesting response in GQ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstone View Post
To add to post 3's scientific bent, long term testosterone has some interesting effects on hair, but those effects vary with the part of the body involved.
... Those hairs in the ears, nose, back, eyebrows and so forth were always there, but were not responding to testosterone and remained their wimpy preadolescent selves until being awash in male hormones.

Hopefully this helps.
Thanks, I knew this much actually, although thanks for putting it down eloquently here. The item that I am curious about is the science around the timing / emergence. It would appear the 30-40 year mark kicks it off as an observable phenomena (yes surely something of just a visible tipping point, but); it would interesting to read any science around the whys or understanding of the tip over. I also recall an interesting book advancing a popular science human as neonatal chimp hypothesis but perhaps that was mere popular science.