Jim Jones and the suicides: Why Flavor Aid and not Kool-Aid?

Yep, I know that sometimes “Kool-Aid” is used as a generic term for powdered drink mixes, but here’s the question:

In any documentary programming on Jim Jones and the suicide/murders, one of the pieces of stock footage that’s always shown in Jones opening a chest of powdered drink mixes, clearly labeld both Kool-Aid and Flavor Aid. With that. . .

How do we know that only Flavor Aid was used for mixing the poison?

I assumed that, since Kool-Aid is more likely to be a sponsor at least some show on the channel, the Flavor Aid was more likely to be mentioned. As, every time I’ve heard it in just conversation, they use Kool-Aid

I’m personally not convinced we do. I remember a previous thread on this, but no one ever produced any contemporary pictures to support that it was flavor-aid. Do you have pictures you can link to, or to that footage?

I think I’ve seen this “fact” posted on the Kool-aid web site, but they’re hardly unbiased.

At this late date, (25 years after the fact) is Kool-Aid really still worrried about guilt by association?

It seems to me that anyone old enough to remember the event is old enough to realize that Kool Aid wasn’t actually a corporate sponsor of the People’s Temple, right?

Is it just a matter of trying to not have ANY possible association with such a trainwreck?

Not currently, but these docs air with some regularity on the various “doc” channels (Nat Geo, Discovery, etc.). This footage is pretty much part and parcel of any doc relating to the Jonestown.

It’s also repeated on this site any time the subject comes up.

ETA: There are Jonestown docs on youtube. I’ll watch some and come back with a source.

I thought the beauty of Flavor-Aid (as a kid) was that it was a kool-aid type powder that you dipped that white stick into and licked off the crystals…
:confused:

Here’s the thread I mentioned. Worth reading.

Cardinal has some links in post 13 that discuss this.

I really do think they should be worried about phrases like “[getting someone] to drink the Kool-Aid.” It creates negative affect.

That would be Fun-Dip or Lik M Aid

Flavor Aid was to Kool Aid what Hydrox was Oreos.

I’d want to be sure that footage wasn’t reenactment footage someone filmed for dramatic effect. If the question of which was used wasn’t settled, they could have used both to avoid complaints from the two companies.

Here’s the oldest story on the suicidesI could find. The story says it was Kool-Aid. However, it was based on the eyewitness report of a survivor, who, I’m guessing, was not precise about the use of brand names.

I think we’ll need more definitive original source material.

Evidently Kool Aidconsidered a prime candidate for awhile :slight_smile:

Regardless of the actual facts, Kool-Aid will be forever associated with the Jonestown suicides.

Pass the Kool-Aid.

Of course Wiki has an article!: Drinking the Kool-Aid - Wikipedia

I did research on the massacre (for a debate) the year after it occurred and I don’t remember coming across any mention of Flavor Aid at that time. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t the brand used, since people often lump similar products under the brand name they are most familiar with. Pass the Kleenex.

It’s on top of the fridge. After I’m done xeroxing this, I need an aspirin, but then I’ll get it for you.

Yeesh. After that many brand-name jokes, I need something stronger than aspirin. Perhaps some nice heroin.

Aspirin is still a brand name in some places (like Canada). For those in places (like Canada), it’s a lost trademark in the USA.

Time’s reporters mention Flavor Aid:

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1859872_1799897,00.html

But, if someone can trace this documentary we could see if indeed **both **Kool-Aid and Flavor-Aid were present at the scene of the crime!

http://xrayspex.blogspot.com/2007/10/x-ray-spex-horror-movie-marathon_17.html

The site shows an image of an open case with both Kool-Aid and Flavor-aid boxes, reported to appear when Jim Jones gives the tour.

Never mind, I found the clip:

(First 20 seconds)
(Rest of the video suitable only for mature audiences)

Jim Jones himself opening the crate and inside, Flavor-Ade ( :dubious: ) **and **Kool-Aid.

He does mention the Kool-Aid, but I have some doubts about the Flavor-Aid, looks like it says Flavor-Aid, but can someone confirm if the boxes look like the wholesale packaging that Flavor-Aid used in the 80’s?