Roku !!!!!!!! - Oh wait, it doesn't work. :(

I just got a Roku for Christmas. Sweet!

Except, when I turn it on(plug it in), it says it will take 3 minutes to setup and I should press “OK” on the remote to begin.

Uh, nothing happens. My remote(or the sensor in the box) does not work, apparently.

Nothing happens when I press OK!!! :frowning:

Great.

:sigh:

No, I don’t have a smart phone I can turn into a remote. No, my universal Sony remote does not seem to interact with it.

:frowning:

I guess I’ll call them tomorrow.

Yes, the internet is plugged into it and the lights on the ethernet cable are blinking quickly. And the batteries are in correctly. And I tried new batteries of my own in addition to those provided. Nothing.

Is there an IR cable thingy in the box you can try? It’s a cable with an IR sensor on it that allows you to control a system that is hidden in a cabinet.

I don’t know what an IR cable is, but there wasn’t anything extra in the box.

Just wondering - does the instruction clarify whether it’s rock-you, row-coup, or raw-coo? (I say #2)

Considering it is supposed to be “six” in Japanese, you are right, more or less. Row-koo.

I assume there was no plastic strip in the remote which blocks the contacts on the batteries? You probably would’ve noticed it if you switched batteries.

You can verify that the remote is working or not by aiming it at a video camera. The camera will see the infrared flashes from the remote.

Nope.

How will this appear visually? How do I know if the remote is working or not?

Nevermind, I read it online.

Uh, the remote IS working. I saw a purplish(light blue) light flashing when I looked through a video camera screen at it. Can not get a reaction from my Roku box to save my life.

???

Get this.

Roku called me and told me to switch the batteries around…I mean put them on the wrong poles. I did this, waited one minute, and then slipped them back to the correct polarities.

It worked. For 1 minute.

I can now use my Roku for 1 minute, then it stops. I flip the batteries over, let them sit for a minute, then put them back correctly.

It works again for a minute.

Why is this?

They are sending me a new remote, by the way.

Apparently remote controls are easy to screw up in the factory. I had to have a (free) replacement sent when I bought my current tv because none of the buttons did what they were supposed to. Down went to channel 9, 3 prompted the set-up menu, and the volume buttons changed the channel. Sheesh.

after searching forever to fix problem & nothing working I took the batteries out of the remote and unplugged the box waited a few seconds then plugged in the box then I waited until the Roku bouncing letters flashed on the screen then reinserted the remote batteries now it is working fine . I tried many subjection I found online nothing work so hopefully this helps someone.

I guess this has been bumped.

Anyway, the deal is this. They sent me a replacement remote, but after about a week, the old one started working too. No idea what was the problem.

I do have a fix, though, for others. It requires getting yours up and running once, though.

Control your Roku from your computer here. It is a remote app that actually gives you the full advanced remote.

You can also go old school and telnet into a Roku box.

I solved this, tell you how.

When I reseted my roku 2 RS to its factory values, the remote stoped working.
The screen asked me to press OK but I couldnt!

After trying different thigns I found A SMALL VIOLET BUTTON that is only visible when you take off the battery compartiment. I pressed this for several seconds and voila, it started to work again!!

hope this helps

Yes, I got it to work 1 1/2 years ago, but thanks.

They sent me a new remote, anyway, and I can now use my Ipod Touch to control it as well.

It can’t find my Roku box, and it rejects what I think the address is. Is there a way to page Linksys to find out what is on the network?