The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 PM
Grrr! Grrr! is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,414
How common is climax during rape?

I was surprised to learn that this actually happens. Which I can only imagine, makes it THAT much more emotionally damaging to the victim.
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 01-14-2011, 09:51 PM
Rachellelogram Rachellelogram is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
A woman's orgasms are more mental than physiological. The incidence of female orgasm during voluntary penis-in-vagina intercourse is less than 30% according to Doctor Drew (no cite here, I'm at work and interesting sites are blocked). Most women do not have orgasms just from penetration, even when they want to be having sex. I don't have a statistic but I assume the incidence of female orgasm during penetrative rape is extremely low.

As far as the incidence of male orgasm while being raped by a female who puts his penis into her vagina, THAT might be higher since male orgasms are more physiological, and this type of rape is only possible when the penis is hard. And the penis can become hard from stroking, even if the male fervently does not want the sex to happen.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-14-2011, 09:56 PM
KellyCriterion KellyCriterion is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I got the impression from the OP that they were more interested in male climax when a man is raping a woman.

Could be wrong though.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Rachellelogram Rachellelogram is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Most incidences of male rape of females end with the male climaxing. Why would he be asking about the rarity of something that happens all the time?

Not to be rude, but climax is one of the main points of rape. A guy isn't going to start raping a woman, then stop without orgasming... what would be the point?

Last edited by Rachellelogram; 01-14-2011 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:09 PM
Grrr! Grrr! is online now
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 12,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCriterion View Post
I got the impression from the OP that they were more interested in male climax when a man is raping a woman.

Could be wrong though.
No I meant the woman.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Apollon Apollon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
Most incidences of male rape of females end with the male climaxing. Why would he be asking about the rarity of something that happens all the time?

Not to be rude, but climax is one of the main points of rape. A guy isn't going to start raping a woman, then stop without orgasming... what would be the point?
Actually, I always hear is that the exact opposite is the case, but I can't find any cite to support either the one nor the other.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-14-2011, 10:55 PM
Rachellelogram Rachellelogram is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollon View Post
Actually, I always hear is that the exact opposite is the case, but I can't find any cite to support either the one nor the other.
It's not a study that can be ethically set up. And a rapist is not going to be a reliable self-reporter. I don't have a citation either, so I'm willing to step back on my assertion. But it seems like common sense that male rapes of females would usually end with the rapist orgasming.

I do wonder why you (or anyone) would have the impression that a male would not typically orgasm while raping a woman?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 PM
ramel ramel is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
Most incidences of male rape of females end with the male climaxing. Why would he be asking about the rarity of something that happens all the time?

Not to be rude, but climax is one of the main points of rape. A guy isn't going to start raping a woman, then stop without orgasming... what would be the point?
I've heard that rape often isn't about sex, but about power. And that it's not that rare for the rapist to have trouble maintaining or getting an erection.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Crazyhorse Crazyhorse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
In those cases where it could be known that the victim climaxed, whatever the frequency, it would certainly be a revelation that came possibly even years later during therapy or somesuch and not as a part of the initial crime report if one was ever even filed. So it would probably be very difficult or impossible to even estimate a percentage. It is safe to say it is relatively low but does happen. It is also safe to say out of those who have been studied they did report that it increased their confusion, emotional damage, and sense of blaming themselves for the crime. (this was gleaned by Googling "study frequency of climax during rape" and navigating to a few book results which generally wound up leading to cites from the Kinsey Institute).

It is worth noting that both men and women can orgasm when receiving severe physical or emotional trauma completely unrelated to sexual activity (e.g. being decapitated or hung, car accidents, spinal injuries, etc have resulted in orgasm). Some rapes can be so violent and traumatic they could be likened to this level of intense physiological overload response.

Some minority of women also entertain rape fantasies. Some to the point they role play these fantasies with their consenting partners. If you assume a small minority of women have strong and frequently exercised rape fantasies and achieve orgasms with their consenting partners while role playing them, it isn't a huge stretch to speculate that if confronted with the actual act some of them might involuntarily orgasm. Even if they are terrified, hurt and completely disgusted by the reality of the situation vs. the fantasy, if those elements have been the basis of a deep-seated sexual fantasy it could happen. Obviously those who fantasize about rape generally fantasize about a much less violent, must less terrifying experience and with someone they are physically attracted to. Women who frequently fantasize also show higher rates of orgasm during masturbation and intercourse in general (Arndt, Foehl, & Good, 1985; Leitenberg & Henning, 1995). Many women report that sexual fantasies help them achieve orgasm and increase sexual arousal (Davidson & Hoffman, 1986; Hariton & Singer, 1974; Sue, 1979). Evidence also shows that some women are able to use fantasies to reach orgasm without any type of physical stimulation (Kinsey, Pomeroy, Martin & Gebhard, 1953; Mah & Binik, 2001; Whipple, Ogden, & Komisaruk, 1992). Recent studies have found the same physiological response during orgasm induced by self induced imagery (fantasies) and genital self stimulation (Stock & Geer, 1982; Whipple, et al., 1992).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-14-2011, 11:48 PM
Argent Towers Argent Towers is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramel View Post
I've heard that rape often isn't about sex, but about power.
I wish we had a sticky about this topic.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-15-2011, 12:02 AM
needscoffee needscoffee is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 6,476
nvm

Last edited by needscoffee; 01-15-2011 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-15-2011, 01:09 AM
TriPolar TriPolar is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
It matters as much as the reaction of the knee joint to the rubber hammer. Rape is not about physiologiical reactions, it is about the enduring emotional results.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Jonathan Chance Jonathan Chance is offline
Domo Arigato Mister Moderato
Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: On the run with Kilroy
Posts: 18,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
It's not a study that can be ethically set up. And a rapist is not going to be a reliable self-reporter. I don't have a citation either, so I'm willing to step back on my assertion. But it seems like common sense that male rapes of females would usually end with the rapist orgasming.

I do wonder why you (or anyone) would have the impression that a male would not typically orgasm while raping a woman?
No cite other than a criminal behavior class I took in college but one of the guest lecturers pointed out to us that she was amazed how often, during rape cases, they don't find any semen in the victim even though there were other signs of penetration.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 AM
HMS Irruncible HMS Irruncible is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
It's not a study that can be ethically set up. And a rapist is not going to be a reliable self-reporter..
Rape kits are taken. Victims can report what they experience. There are factual, measurable answers to these questions, so you can really feel free to stop acting as if there's nothing to go on but your common sense.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-15-2011, 09:09 AM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Relief View Post
Rape kits are taken. Victims can report what they experience. There are factual, measurable answers to these questions, so you can really feel free to stop acting as if there's nothing to go on but your common sense.
Rape kits can detect if the male ejaculated, some of the time. If he wore a condom, it won't. If he performed multiple penetrative rapes and there's some semen, you can't tell if he ejaculated every time. Since orgasm and ejaculation in men is correlated, not identical, you can't tell if he orgasmed or not for sure (although it's very likely that if there is semen, he probably orgasmed at least once.)

It can tell you nothing about whether a female orgasmed. And I strongly, very strongly, suspect that "Did you come?" isn't on the interrogation checklist. It's irrelevant to the investigation, and sharing the answer, if affirmative, can be considered very likely to make the woman's experience far more traumatic in the very early stages of the recovery process. Just hearing the question can be horrible, as it suggests that whole line of "she wanted it" blame the victim thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Bricker Bricker is online now
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 49,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
It's not a study that can be ethically set up. And a rapist is not going to be a reliable self-reporter. I don't have a citation either, so I'm willing to step back on my assertion. But it seems like common sense that male rapes of females would usually end with the rapist orgasming.

I do wonder why you (or anyone) would have the impression that a male would not typically orgasm while raping a woman?
Certainly it's a study that can ethically done.

In 1977, in fact, A. Nicholas Gorth, PhD, and Ann Wolbert Burgess, R.N., reported on the results of just such a study in the New England Journal of Medicine. (Oct 6. 1977 pp 764-766)

They broke out sexual dysfunction from rapists into three categories:

"Erective inadequacy," which they defined as the rapist's partial or complete failure or attain or maintain an erection. They noted that some cases were further defined as "conditional impotence," in which the rapist displayed initial erective incompetence but forced the victim to stimulate him orally or manually, or where the victim's struggles in response to the assault produced the erection.

"Premature ejactulation," where ejaculation occurs before or immediately upon penetration.

"Ejaculatory incompetence," in which extended intromission by the rapist did not result in ejaculation at all.

Thirty-four percent of the cases they studied contained some sexual dysfunction as defined above. Another twenty percent were reported as not applicable to determining whether sexual dysfunction existed, due to:
  • No attempt at penetration
  • Assault interrupted
  • Successful resistance by victim

Twenty-one percent of the cases did not provide sufficient data to draw a conclusion. Only twenty-five percent of the cases studied had no sexual dysfunction present.

Of the thirty-four percent mentioned above:
  • 16 percent showed erective inadequacy (impotence)
  • 3 percent showed premature ejaculation
  • 15 percent showed ejaculatory incompetence (no ejaculation)

As the authors go on to discuss, there was a substantial amount of ejaculatory dysfunction, especially ejaculatory incomptence, when considered in comparison to the general population. This is an infrequent complaint, affecting about 1 in 700 men, yet it was the second major cause of sexual dysfunction among rapists.

Analysis of hospital records and rape kits bear this conclusion out. Of 23 victims that encountered multiple rapists during their attack, fully half tested negative for sperm.

In short, if indeed "common sense" suggests that male rapes of females would usually end with the rapist orgasming, then "common sense," is wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-15-2011, 02:07 PM
HMS Irruncible HMS Irruncible is offline
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 5,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
Rape kits can detect if the male ejaculated, some of the time. If he wore a condom, it won't. If he performed multiple penetrative rapes and there's some semen, you can't tell if he ejaculated every time. Since orgasm and ejaculation in men is correlated, not identical, you can't tell if he orgasmed or not for sure (although it's very likely that if there is semen, he probably orgasmed at least once.)
I'm not saying rape kits represent a complete factual picture, only that the data is available, and it offers a more complete representation of reality than one person's common sense and heartfelt opinion. See Bricker's cite for details.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-15-2011, 05:16 PM
Mean Mr. Mustard Mean Mr. Mustard is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelellogram View Post
A woman's orgasms are more mental than physiological. The incidence of female orgasm during voluntary penis-in-vagina intercourse is less than 30%... <snip>
I think you missed the OP's intent by, oh, a million miles.


mmm
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Exapno Mapcase Exapno Mapcase is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 26,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes View Post
I was surprised to learn that this actually happens. Which I can only imagine, makes it THAT much more emotionally damaging to the victim.
Could you give us the cite where you heard this, so we can evaluate how real it is?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 AM
dracoi dracoi is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase View Post
Could you give us the cite where you heard this, so we can evaluate how real it is?
I cannot speak for the OP, but I recall reading a rape survivor's story in which it happened. It was a date rape by her boyfriend and there was fooling around going on willingly before he decided to go all the way by force. She said that having an orgasm during the rape made her feel like her body betrayed her and that it made emotional recovery more difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-16-2011, 09:59 AM
even sven even sven is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
The idea that women are not physically sexual creatures is warmed over Victorian BS. Yes, with enough training (which our society is often glad to offer) you can damper your sexual response. But friction is friction, and certain kinds of friction will lead to orgasm despite whatever your mind is thinking. Penis-vag friction may not be the "right kind" of friction for all women, but it certainly is for some.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
RickJay RickJay is offline
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 34,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I think you missed the OP's intent by, oh, a million miles.
The OP disagrees. See post 5.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Bricker Bricker is online now
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 49,354
There's a huge amount of commentary where people make the same basic assertions: that female orgasms happens during rape, and that it's not uncommon. None of them cite to any authority to support those statements.

Here is an account of a stranger rape in which the victim experiences orgasm during the act, and strikes me as a credible recounting.

Last edited by Bricker; 01-16-2011 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Jormungandr Jormungandr is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
If one is depending on a rapist's statements, he might confuse a woman's natural lubrication for an orgasm. I really want to say it was on "Slate," but I can't remember (which seems to be happening today a lot). There was an article last year mentioned that a woman's body would release more vaginal lubrication as a defensive measure to limit some of the physical damage than there would be with a "dry" vagina caused by the rape.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-16-2011, 05:41 PM
Bam Boo Gut Bam Boo Gut is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
She said that having an orgasm during the rape made her feel like her body betrayed her and that it made emotional recovery more difficult.
The body just reacts on its own.

Some rapists can't even get a hard on let alone ejaculate - that's all part of the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Bricker Bricker is online now
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 49,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jormungandr View Post
If one is depending on a rapist's statements, he might confuse a woman's natural lubrication for an orgasm. I really want to say it was on "Slate," but I can't remember (which seems to be happening today a lot). There was an article last year mentioned that a woman's body would release more vaginal lubrication as a defensive measure to limit some of the physical damage than there would be with a "dry" vagina caused by the rape.
Yes, which is why I provided a cite in which the VICTIM reported the orgasm.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-17-2011, 10:00 AM
kanicbird kanicbird is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
There was a thread a long time ago, maybe when the SD was on AOL, where it was mentioned that the woman climaxing was at one time a defense against rape, basically she wanted it and therefore no didn't mean no.

I've heard it happens, and it also has the tendency of having the woman of having feel their body betray them, adding to damage.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-17-2011, 10:23 AM
Bricker Bricker is online now
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 49,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I've heard it happens, and it also has the tendency of having the woman of having feel their body betray them, adding to damage.
This response suggests to me that you didn't read this thread, because it fails to acknowledge that this observation has been made multiple times:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
It is safe to say it is relatively low but does happen. It is also safe to say out of those who have been studied they did report that it increased their confusion, emotional damage, and sense of blaming themselves for the crime. (this was gleaned by Googling "study frequency of climax during rape" and navigating to a few book results which generally wound up leading to cites from the Kinsey Institute).
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
And I strongly, very strongly, suspect that "Did you come?" isn't on the interrogation checklist. It's irrelevant to the investigation, and sharing the answer, if affirmative, can be considered very likely to make the woman's experience far more traumatic in the very early stages of the recovery process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracoi View Post
I cannot speak for the OP, but I recall reading a rape survivor's story in which it happened. It was a date rape by her boyfriend and there was fooling around going on willingly before he decided to go all the way by force. She said that having an orgasm during the rape made her feel like her body betrayed her and that it made emotional recovery more difficult.
Did you in fact read any of those posts?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-17-2011, 11:20 AM
kanicbird kanicbird is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: May 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
This response suggests to me that you didn't read this thread, because it fails to acknowledge that this observation has been made multiple times:







Did you in fact read any of those posts?
I did read the thread and those replys to the OP including those 3 that you pointed out.

It does not negate my post in any way, nor negated what they have added and adds a potential search for anyone interested or perhaps someone will remember it better. Further I do not need to justify my posting in this thread to you so why did you make this post?

Why didn't you post such a reply to WhyNot and Dracoi because Crazyhorse posted something likewise Bricker?

Last edited by kanicbird; 01-17-2011 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Bricker Bricker is online now
And Full Contact Origami
SDSAB
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 49,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanicbird View Post
I did read the thread and those replys to the OP including those 3 that you pointed out.

It does not negate my post in any way, nor negated what they have added and adds a potential search for anyone interested or perhaps someone will remember it better. Further I do not need to justify my posting in this thread to you so why did you make this post?

Why didn't you post such a reply to WhyNot and Dracoi because Crazyhorse posted something likewise Bricker?
Nor did I claim it "negated" their posts. I said by posting what you did without the slightest indication that it was duplicative, it gave the impression you weren't aware of the earlier posts.

Your motive was "adding a potential search," eh?

]I can tell you that both WhyNot's and Dracoi's posts, while containing the same information yours did, also had something additional. Only yours was completely cumulative of previous information and completely failed to acknowledge that fact.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-27-2016, 04:22 PM
slimjimpencil slimjimpencil is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricker View Post
There's a huge amount of commentary where people make the same basic assertions: that female orgasms happens during rape, and that it's not uncommon. None of them cite to any authority to support those statements.

Here is an account of a stranger rape in which the victim experiences orgasm during the act, and strikes me as a credible recounting.
http://www.2blowhards.com/archives/2...ampus_r_2.html
Quote:
What were your physical sensations?

It seemed unreal, but I was very aware of being flat on my back on a cold cement floor, with this stranger fucking me. I didn't smell much of anything except a wet-earth garden smell.

It did hurt when he entered me. I don't think he noticed that I had my period. He certainly didn't notice that I had a tampon in me. Strangely, I had an orgasm.

Was that disorienting? I've read that women who orgasm during rape often feel guilt or shame.

Yeah, I felt shame. My body betrayed me by reacting when my mind was so against it. I remember hating myself because I had an orgasm.


I think it's extremely important for rape victims to know that orgasm during rape is not them consenting to the act. and in many cases, i'ts your body's natural response to stimulation. however, i do wonder if the physical sensations that lead to orgasm are ALWAYS a case of the body defending itself or is it just simply the body enjoying a sensation that was meant to be pleasurable. the clitoris can't tell if it's a woman's husband or attacker that is performing cunnilingus on her. likewise, the vagina walls can't tell if the thickness filling them up is the girth of her husband or an attacker. the body just responds to what feels good and in some cases (maybe even many) it's not necessarily 'defense' but simply an automatic response to stimuli meant to be pleasurable. if anyone is confused by the difference, defense as i refer to it, is the body guarding or protecting the vagina from damage by 'self-lubricating' versus physical 'enjoyment' where the vagina/clitoris "likes" the sensations they are feeling and lubricate even if the victim is resisting.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-27-2016, 07:14 PM
spamforbrains spamforbrains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
An actual factual answer to the question is impossible. How are you going to study it? We don't even know for sure how many rapes happen each year.

I suspect actual pleasure and orgasms during rape are far more common during attacks on young pubescent individuals than they are during date-rapes or other rapes on adults. The emotional fallout of a young teenager (boy or girl) who was coerced/forced into an act and then experiences pleasure despite not wanting to participate must be incredible.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 PM
Wesley Clark Wesley Clark is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...al-during-rape

Quote:
"I've assisted more young women than I can count with this very issue…There have been very few studies on orgasm during rape, but the research so far shows numbers from 10% to over 50% having this experience. In my experience as a therapist, it has been somewhat less than half of the girls/women I've worked with. (For the record, I have worked with very few boys/men who reported this.) In professional discussions, colleagues report similar numbers."
If true, a rate of 50% is higher than the rate of orgasm among women who have voluntary PIV sex with someone they are attracted to.

A hypothesis (please don't kill the messenger on this one) for this issue is that orgasm increases the odds of fertilization due to uterine contractions helping sperm move within the fallopian tubes. If a woman gets impregnated by a rapist, and he grows up to become a rapist (rather than someone who impregnates women via gaining resources or having good genetics) that creates an incentive to get pregnant via rape. Women who get pregnant via rape have kids who become rapists and get other women pregnant, and the genes spread.

Basically, we are evolved from a long line of rapists and rape victims.

Then again, a child needs a lot of material and psychological resources and a child of rape is not going to be wanted nearly as much as a child born of a voluntary pair bond. So you'd assume in human history a lot of children of rape were neglected, abused or killed by their mothers which means the genes wouldn't spread.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 03-27-2016 at 11:02 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-27-2016, 11:19 PM
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
If a woman gets impregnated by a rapist, and he grows up to become a rapist (rather than someone who impregnates women via gaining resources or having good genetics) that creates an incentive to get pregnant via rape.
What? I don't understand your logic here. Maybe I'm just tired..
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-28-2016, 09:38 AM
puddleglum puddleglum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...al-during-rape



If true, a rate of 50% is higher than the rate of orgasm among women who have voluntary PIV sex with someone they are attracted to.

A hypothesis (please don't kill the messenger on this one) for this issue is that orgasm increases the odds of fertilization due to uterine contractions helping sperm move within the fallopian tubes. If a woman gets impregnated by a rapist, and he grows up to become a rapist (rather than someone who impregnates women via gaining resources or having good genetics) that creates an incentive to get pregnant via rape. Women who get pregnant via rape have kids who become rapists and get other women pregnant, and the genes spread.

Basically, we are evolved from a long line of rapists and rape victims.

Then again, a child needs a lot of material and psychological resources and a child of rape is not going to be wanted nearly as much as a child born of a voluntary pair bond. So you'd assume in human history a lot of children of rape were neglected, abused or killed by their mothers which means the genes wouldn't spread.
In the article it says that 4 to 5% of rape victims report orgasm. The therapist you quote seems to be dealing with survivors of statutory rape which causes psychological damage but is not always traumatic in the moment.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-28-2016, 10:29 AM
md2000 md2000 is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Clark View Post
http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...al-during-rape



If true, a rate of 50% is higher than the rate of orgasm among women who have voluntary PIV sex with someone they are attracted to.

A hypothesis (please don't kill the messenger on this one) for this issue is that orgasm increases the odds of fertilization due to uterine contractions helping sperm move within the fallopian tubes. If a woman gets impregnated by a rapist, and he grows up to become a rapist (rather than someone who impregnates women via gaining resources or having good genetics) that creates an incentive to get pregnant via rape. Women who get pregnant via rape have kids who become rapists and get other women pregnant, and the genes spread.

Basically, we are evolved from a long line of rapists and rape victims.

Then again, a child needs a lot of material and psychological resources and a child of rape is not going to be wanted nearly as much as a child born of a voluntary pair bond. So you'd assume in human history a lot of children of rape were neglected, abused or killed by their mothers which means the genes wouldn't spread.
As you point out, this may be a short-term reproductive strategy... but:

-it often takes a lot of close encounters of the penetrative kind before a woman becomes pregnant. Random opportunistic forced intercourse probably has a much lower success rate than a regular couple's relationship.

-until the advent of agriculture, say 5,000 to 10,00 years ago, humans lived in small tribes. Certain behaviours are not compatible with living in small groups. Someone using rape as a reproductive strategy probably risked not only rejection of his children, but also risked life and limb (or other appendage) himself. Male jealously is a strongly ingrained trait, for specifically that reason.


* * *
I recall reading an article discussing women's rape fantasies. Usually, these revolved around desirable males forcing themselves on the woman. It was suggested that most societies, being male dominated, used social pressure to prevent women from exploring their sexuality. Imagining that they "had no choice" was a safe out for women's fantasies, it's not their fault so they are not violating social codes; just as a male fantasizes that women throw themselves at him, thereby bypassing the difficult task of persuasion or seduction, or violating social codes against acts like adultery. In neither case is it an indication that they want undesirable strangers to have their way, and is unlikely to mean they are excited during the act.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Yes, our bodies may very well "like" an aggressive mate who does not shy away from violence, as one reproductive strategy.

And/or a psychologist or psychiatrist is likely to see a self selected sample of victims, those who were most emotionally traumatized by their attacks...which could easily skew to those who feel their body betrayed them by orgasming.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-28-2016, 11:57 AM
spamforbrains spamforbrains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Quote:
Yes, our bodies may very well "like" an aggressive mate who does not shy away from violence, as one reproductive strategy.
Most women's bodies seem to feel nothing but pain during acts of rape, according to reports by the victims. Many women suffer significant vaginal tearing and physical damage.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-28-2016, 12:08 PM
spamforbrains spamforbrains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
As to the other question, do men climax during rape, apparently many rapists do indeed have performance problems:

J Sex Med. 2013 Jul;10(7):1744-54. doi: 10.1111/jsm.12188. Epub 2013 May 13.
The sexual functioning profile of a nonforensic sample of individuals reporting sexual aggression against women.
Carvalho J1, Quinta-Gomes A, Nobre PJ.
Author information
Abstract
INTRODUCTION:
Sexual offenders are believed to present marked sexual difficulties. However, most of the studies characterizing sex offenders' sexual functioning were conducted with samples of documented/incarcerated sexual aggressors. At the present state of the knowledge there is limited information on the sexual functioning profile of individuals reporting some form of sexual violence but who were not documented/apprehended by the judicial system.
AIM:
The aim of this preliminary study was to characterize a sample of community sexual aggressors (college students) according to their sexual functioning. Results were expected to add information about the relationship between sexual functioning and sexual violence, and to impact strategies aimed at preventing sexual aggression on college campus.
METHODS:
One hundred sixty-one male college students participated in a cross-sectional study. Students were recruited at a Portuguese university using nonrandom methods. Among these students, 35 reported sexual aggression against women. The measures were completed individually and anonymously.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:
Participants completed a modified version of the International Index of Erectile Function, the Sexual Inhibition and Sexual Excitation Scales, the Sexual Self-Consciousness Scale, the Questionnaire of Cognitive Schema Activation in Sexual Context, and the Sexual-Esteem Scale.
RESULTS:
Results indicated that students reporting sexual aggression against women presented significantly more erectile and orgasmic difficulties, and more sexual inhibition due to the threat of performance failure than the control peers. Additionally, students reporting sexual aggression presented more sexual embarrassment, and more schemas of undesirability and incompetence.
CONCLUSIONS:
Results pointed toward a possible relationship between sexual violence as reported by college students and sexual performance anxiety. These findings are expected to impact conceptual models on sexual aggression perpetrated by nonforensic individuals.
2013 International Society for Sexual Medicine.
KEYWORDS:
College Students; Rapists; Sexual Aggression; Sexual Functioning
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-28-2016, 01:16 PM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamforbrains View Post
Most women's bodies seem to feel nothing but pain during acts of rape, according to reports by the victims. Many women suffer significant vaginal tearing and physical damage.
See, anytime you start using words like "most," I'm going to start asking for numbers.

Some women experience tearing and physical trauma. Some don't. The very real problem with assuming "most" do (without evidence, numbers) is that leads us back down the path of doubting women whose rape exams reveal no damage.

Remember, most rape isn't sudden, violent rape by a stranger - only 10% of rapes fit that model. Most rape is done by someone the victim knows and trusts, and quite often it escalates, with enough time for her body to respond by producing vaginal lubrication.

It doesn't take long for my body to provide lubrication, whether I'm actually wanting sex or not. Unless someone performed a classic jump out of the bushes stranger rape, chances are good that I'm not going to tear. I didn't tear any of the multiple times I was raped (by someone I knew.) Still rape.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 03-28-2016, 07:30 PM
Wesley Clark Wesley Clark is online now
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
What? I don't understand your logic here. Maybe I'm just tired..
The hypothesis is basically that if a man is a prolific rapist who impregnates many women, then the women who get pregnant will have kids who are more likely to become rapists who procreate more than non-rapists, which means that the women who are more likely to get pregnant from rape (have an orgasm) have a survival advantage and therefore that trait persists in the species if rapists have more children than men who do not rape.

There are several flaws with this theory.

For one, a child of rape will have no paternal investment, and questionable maternal investment. That could counterbalance whatever benefits there are to this strategy.

Ducks are prolific rapists, but female ducks have evolved defenses against rape, not evolved to get impregnated by rape. So in at least one other species, rapist behavior by men results in the evolution of anti-rape physiology by females, not the evolution of physiology likely to increase fertilization. But I'm sure there are other species that have done the opposite.

There, in theory, should be a division between rapists. A male rapist who is weak and ineffective with 1-2 victims is not the same as one who is strong and has 100+ victims. Getting pregnant by the first wouldn't give much advantage, in theory the second could give advantages. But how are women supposed to know the difference?

A male rapist who has enough victims runs the risk of being killed by the friends and families of his victims. So this is not necessarily a good strategy for him.

The theory that orgasm increases fertilization is not clear cut, there is evidence for and against it.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 03-28-2016 at 07:30 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:00 PM
handsomeharry handsomeharry is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: oklahoma city
Posts: 7,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollon View Post
Actually, I always hear is that the exact opposite is the case, but I can't find any cite to support either the one nor the other.
I read the same thing in my sociology text in late 80s.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:16 PM
purplehearingaid purplehearingaid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
http://www.examiner.com/article/why-do-rapists-rape

Rape is not about sex , it's having control and power over the victim .
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:27 PM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehearingaid View Post
http://www.examiner.com/article/why-do-rapists-rape

Rape is not about sex , it's having control and power over the victim .
I'll take, "Things people say to keep sex sacred" for $200, Alex.

Some rape is about power. Some rape is about a horny person who doesn't give a shit if the other person wants to have sex or not. And some rape is about people who are raised to think that only repeated screams of "NO!" and attempts to claw one's eyes out really means no, and that any more muted response means their victim "wanted it" and the sex was consensual.

That article is clearly about the first, as it's about a serial rapist who raped strangers. For Reginald Williams and his ilk, rape is about control and power. That's not the only, or even the most common, kind of rapist.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:32 PM
Ambivalid Ambivalid is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
I'll take, "Things people say to keep sex sacred" for $200, Alex.

Some rape is about power. Some rape is about a horny person who doesn't give a shit if the other person wants to have sex or not. And some rape is about people who are raised to think that only repeated screams of "NO!" and attempts to claw one's eyes out really means no, and that any more muted response means their victim "wanted it" and the sex was consensual.

That article is clearly about the first, as it's about a serial rapist who raped strangers. For Reginald Williams and his ilk, rape is about control and power. That's not the only, or even the most common, kind of rapist.
Thank you for saying this.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 PM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambivalid View Post
Thank you for saying this.
You're welcome. It's one bit of repeated "wisdom" that really boils my noodle. I suppose it may provide some comfort to a certain subset of victims who don't want to call what happened to them "sex." But at the same time, it provides one more excuse for every rapist out there who really wanted to have sex and wouldn't take no for an answer. If their actions were about getting sex, but rape isn't about sex, then what they did couldn't have been rape, right? Wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:51 PM
spamforbrains spamforbrains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Quote:
Some rape is about power. Some rape is about a horny person who doesn't give a shit if the other person wants to have sex or not. And some rape is about people who are raised to think that only repeated screams of "NO!" and attempts to claw one's eyes out really means no, and that any more muted response means their victim "wanted it" and the sex was consensual.

That article is clearly about the first, as it's about a serial rapist who raped strangers. For Reginald Williams and his ilk, rape is about control and power. That's not the only, or even the most common, kind of rapist.
I agree with the first part. But how do you know that serial rapists of strangers are about power? I associate the "power" aspect with the men who rape women they know in order to "punish" them for a perceived transgression, which is, I believe, one of the most common types of rape.
I have heard that serial rapists often have sexual problems and they can only get aroused during violent acts, thus their rapes may be solely about sex.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 03-28-2016, 08:54 PM
spamforbrains spamforbrains is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Quote:
The hypothesis is basically that if a man is a prolific rapist who impregnates many women, then the women who get pregnant will have kids who are more likely to become rapists who procreate more than non-rapists, which means that the women who are more likely to get pregnant from rape (have an orgasm) have a survival advantage and therefore that trait persists in the species if rapists have more children than men who do not rape.
there's a big problem with your theory-women having or not having an orgasm has nothing to do with whether she gets pregnant or not.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 03-28-2016, 09:35 PM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamforbrains View Post
I agree with the first part. But how do you know that serial rapists of strangers are about power? I associate the "power" aspect with the men who rape women they know in order to "punish" them for a perceived transgression, which is, I believe, one of the most common types of rape.
I have heard that serial rapists often have sexual problems and they can only get aroused during violent acts, thus their rapes may be solely about sex.
Because the linked article is about interviews with a serial rapist, and how his motives were largely control and power. He even wrote a book about it. Similar motivations are often admitted to by serial rapists and stranger rapists, but I think it's a huge mistake to extrapolate that to all, or even most, rapists, even if it makes us feel better.

But mostly because quite a bit of actual research reveals that rape isn't about power, it's about sex, (Hamilton and Yee, 1990; Rapaport & Burkhart, 1984; Ellis, 1989; Koss & Leonard, 1984; Mosher & Anderson, 1986) and because the claim that rape is about power, not sex, was a theory put forth without evidence by feminists in the 1970s who had a vested interest in blaming everything wrong with society on the power imbalance between men and women, and has limited support in actual research. It's popular because it's often repeated by authorities, not because it's been proven correct.

And, last but not least, personal experience and listening to the experiences of both rapists and rape victims for many years. My rapist didn't desire power over me; he wanted sex, and didn't care or notice that I didn't. That's a very common theme in rape stories, especially the kind of acquaintance or partner rape that isn't often reported to authorities or investigated by scientists.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 03-28-2016, 09:40 PM
WhyNot WhyNot is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by spamforbrains View Post
there's a big problem with your theory-women having or not having an orgasm has nothing to do with whether she gets pregnant or not.
There are several proposed theories by which simultaneous orgasm may lead to greater pregnancy rates through greater retention of sperm. One is the "in-suck" phenomenon, where the rhythmic contractions of the pelvic floor cause the cervix to open a bit and dip down and create suction to slurp the sperm past the os. Another is reduced acidity in the cervical mucus created by the vaginal lubrication, allowing greater sperm survival. I've even read one theory that the post-coital exhaustion after a good orgasm keeps women lying down longer, allowing the sperm a longer time to pass through the vagina and os into the uterus before she stands and the semen drips out.

Studies have been mixed as to whether any of these have an actual impact on fertilization rates.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright 2015 Sun-Times Media, LLC.