How common is climax during rape?

I was surprised to learn that this actually happens. Which I can only imagine, makes it THAT much more emotionally damaging to the victim.

A woman’s orgasms are more mental than physiological. The incidence of female orgasm during voluntary penis-in-vagina intercourse is less than 30% according to Doctor Drew (no cite here, I’m at work and interesting sites are blocked). Most women do not have orgasms just from penetration, even when they want to be having sex. I don’t have a statistic but I assume the incidence of female orgasm during penetrative rape is extremely low.

As far as the incidence of male orgasm while being raped by a female who puts his penis into her vagina, THAT might be higher since male orgasms are more physiological, and this type of rape is only possible when the penis is hard. And the penis can become hard from stroking, even if the male fervently does not want the sex to happen.

I got the impression from the OP that they were more interested in male climax when a man is raping a woman.

Could be wrong though.

Most incidences of male rape of females end with the male climaxing. Why would he be asking about the rarity of something that happens all the time?

Not to be rude, but climax is one of the main points of rape. A guy isn’t going to start raping a woman, then stop without orgasming… what would be the point?

No I meant the woman.

Actually, I always hear is that the exact opposite is the case, but I can’t find any cite to support either the one nor the other.

It’s not a study that can be ethically set up. And a rapist is not going to be a reliable self-reporter. I don’t have a citation either, so I’m willing to step back on my assertion. But it seems like common sense that male rapes of females would usually end with the rapist orgasming.

I do wonder why you (or anyone) would have the impression that a male would not typically orgasm while raping a woman?

I’ve heard that rape often isn’t about sex, but about power. And that it’s not that rare for the rapist to have trouble maintaining or getting an erection.

In those cases where it could be known that the victim climaxed, whatever the frequency, it would certainly be a revelation that came possibly even years later during therapy or somesuch and not as a part of the initial crime report if one was ever even filed. So it would probably be very difficult or impossible to even estimate a percentage. It is safe to say it is relatively low but does happen. It is also safe to say out of those who have been studied they did report that it increased their confusion, emotional damage, and sense of blaming themselves for the crime. (this was gleaned by Googling “study frequency of climax during rape” and navigating to a few book results which generally wound up leading to cites from the Kinsey Institute).

It is worth noting that both men and women can orgasm when receiving severe physical or emotional trauma completely unrelated to sexual activity (e.g. being decapitated or hung, car accidents, spinal injuries, etc have resulted in orgasm). Some rapes can be so violent and traumatic they could be likened to this level of intense physiological overload response.

Some minority of women also entertain rape fantasies. Some to the point they role play these fantasies with their consenting partners. If you assume a small minority of women have strong and frequently exercised rape fantasies and achieve orgasms with their consenting partners while role playing them, it isn’t a huge stretch to speculate that if confronted with the actual act some of them might involuntarily orgasm. Even if they are terrified, hurt and completely disgusted by the reality of the situation vs. the fantasy, if those elements have been the basis of a deep-seated sexual fantasy it could happen. Obviously those who fantasize about rape generally fantasize about a much less violent, must less terrifying experience and with someone they are physically attracted to. Women who frequently fantasize also show higher rates of orgasm during masturbation and intercourse in general (Arndt, Foehl, & Good, 1985; Leitenberg & Henning, 1995). Many women report that sexual fantasies help them achieve orgasm and increase sexual arousal (Davidson & Hoffman, 1986; Hariton & Singer, 1974; Sue, 1979). Evidence also shows that some women are able to use fantasies to reach orgasm without any type of physical stimulation (Kinsey, Pomeroy, Martin & Gebhard, 1953; Mah & Binik, 2001; Whipple, Ogden, & Komisaruk, 1992). Recent studies have found the same physiological response during orgasm induced by self induced imagery (fantasies) and genital self stimulation (Stock & Geer, 1982; Whipple, et al., 1992).

I wish we had a sticky about this topic.

nvm

It matters as much as the reaction of the knee joint to the rubber hammer. Rape is not about physiologiical reactions, it is about the enduring emotional results.

No cite other than a criminal behavior class I took in college but one of the guest lecturers pointed out to us that she was amazed how often, during rape cases, they don’t find any semen in the victim even though there were other signs of penetration.

Rape kits are taken. Victims can report what they experience. There are factual, measurable answers to these questions, so you can really feel free to stop acting as if there’s nothing to go on but your common sense.

Rape kits can detect if the male ejaculated, some of the time. If he wore a condom, it won’t. If he performed multiple penetrative rapes and there’s some semen, you can’t tell if he ejaculated every time. Since orgasm and ejaculation in men is correlated, not identical, you can’t tell if he orgasmed or not for sure (although it’s very likely that if there is semen, he *probably *orgasmed at least once.)

It can tell you nothing about whether a female orgasmed. And I strongly, very strongly, suspect that “Did you come?” isn’t on the interrogation checklist. It’s irrelevant to the investigation, and sharing the answer, if affirmative, can be considered very likely to make the woman’s experience far more traumatic in the very early stages of the recovery process. Just *hearing *the question can be horrible, as it suggests that whole line of “she wanted it” blame the victim thinking.

Certainly it’s a study that can ethically done.

In 1977, in fact, A. Nicholas Gorth, PhD, and Ann Wolbert Burgess, R.N., reported on the results of just such a study in the New England Journal of Medicine. (Oct 6. 1977 pp 764-766)

They broke out sexual dysfunction from rapists into three categories:

“Erective inadequacy,” which they defined as the rapist’s partial or complete failure or attain or maintain an erection. They noted that some cases were further defined as “conditional impotence,” in which the rapist displayed initial erective incompetence but forced the victim to stimulate him orally or manually, or where the victim’s struggles in response to the assault produced the erection.

“Premature ejactulation,” where ejaculation occurs before or immediately upon penetration.

“Ejaculatory incompetence,” in which extended intromission by the rapist did not result in ejaculation at all.

Thirty-four percent of the cases they studied contained some sexual dysfunction as defined above. Another twenty percent were reported as not applicable to determining whether sexual dysfunction existed, due to:

[ul]
[li]No attempt at penetration[/li][li]Assault interrupted[/li][li]Successful resistance by victim[/li][/ul]

Twenty-one percent of the cases did not provide sufficient data to draw a conclusion. Only twenty-five percent of the cases studied had no sexual dysfunction present.

Of the thirty-four percent mentioned above:

[ul]
[li]16 percent showed erective inadequacy (impotence)[/li][li]3 percent showed premature ejaculation[/li][li]15 percent showed ejaculatory incompetence (no ejaculation)[/li][/ul]

As the authors go on to discuss, there was a substantial amount of ejaculatory dysfunction, especially ejaculatory incomptence, when considered in comparison to the general population. This is an infrequent complaint, affecting about 1 in 700 men, yet it was the second major cause of sexual dysfunction among rapists.

Analysis of hospital records and rape kits bear this conclusion out. Of 23 victims that encountered multiple rapists during their attack, fully half tested negative for sperm.

In short, if indeed “common sense” suggests that male rapes of females would usually end with the rapist orgasming, then “common sense,” is wrong.

I’m not saying rape kits represent a complete factual picture, only that the data is available, and it offers a more complete representation of reality than one person’s common sense and heartfelt opinion. See Bricker’s cite for details.

I think you missed the OP’s intent by, oh, a million miles.
mmm

Could you give us the cite where you heard this, so we can evaluate how real it is?

I cannot speak for the OP, but I recall reading a rape survivor’s story in which it happened. It was a date rape by her boyfriend and there was fooling around going on willingly before he decided to go all the way by force. She said that having an orgasm during the rape made her feel like her body betrayed her and that it made emotional recovery more difficult.