The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 01-17-2011, 01:42 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Disposable Razors-The Good, The Bad, and The Bloody

I'm looking for which disposable blades to use, and which to avoid. I picked up a 12 pack of twin-blade Old Spice razors, and the first shave was damnfinegood. Two days later I tried the same blade again, and the thing wasn't capable of cutting through wet rice paper. Now, I clean my blades and dry them thoroughly, and there wasn't any debris or rust on the razor for the second try...but it was totally useless. I tried out another in the pack, with the same result. 12 razors=12 shaves.
Advertisements  
Old 01-17-2011, 01:47 AM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Why cut your throat? Just cave in and get a Fusion razor. I get 2 weeks worth of full head shaves out of a cartridge, and if you but them in bulk from Amazon they aren't that pricey.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
Why cut your throat? Just cave in and get a Fusion razor. I get 2 weeks worth of full head shaves out of a cartridge, and if you but them in bulk from Amazon they aren't that pricey.
For this thread, I'd like to stick to the topic of disposable razors, please.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:26 AM

The only kind I've found to be any good were Gilette. Bic razors seem to slide right over the top of my leg hair, and for god's sake don't get Wilkinson Sword, you'll bleed to death.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChileanBlob View Post
The only kind I've found to be any good were Gilette. Bic razors seem to slide right over the top of my leg hair, and for god's sake don't get Wilkinson Sword, you'll bleed to death.
Are the Gillettes twin blades?
Old 01-17-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czarcasm View Post
Are the Gillettes twin blades?
Yes. Not only that, but they even have disposable versions of their 3- and 5-blade systems that silenus praises. There seems to little difference between their disposable and non-disposable options, other than the (in)ability to detach the blade from the handle.

Last edited by BigT; 01-17-2011 at 07:14 AM..
Old 01-17-2011, 07:19 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Yes. Not only that, but they even have disposable versions of their 3- and 5-blade systems that silenus praises. There seems to little difference between their disposable and non-disposable options, other than the (in)ability to detach the blade from the handle.
Are they easy to rinse clean? I am a stickler about making sure the blades are clean and dry after use-this is what befuddled me about the Old Spice blades. How could they possibly be that dull after only one use?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:24 AM

Are you married? I haven't used razor blades for a long time, but when mine went dull fast, the usual reason was someone else using them for unauthorized purposes.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:57 AM

In the past my disposable razor shopping consisted of grabbing whatever was on sale at the time. Thatís all stopped and I now exclusively buy the Schick Quattro Titanium.

It gives a thorough clean shave and lasts much longer than other brands. It might be a tad more expensive but like so much else in life, you get what you pay for.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Are you married? I haven't used razor blades for a long time, but when mine went dull fast, the usual reason was someone else using them for unauthorized purposes.
I'm married, but she uses her own brand.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 AM

I've yet to find a disposable razor that will last me more than a single shave. I'll second the Schick Quattro Titanium suggestion from minlokwat though I'm far too cheap to get them on a regular basis.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 PM

I'll have to pop in later with the actual name of the razor, but I'm pretty excited about a generic brand I get from WalMart. I shave my face and neck about twice a week, and I typically go for 2-3 months on one razor.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minlokwat View Post
In the past my disposable razor shopping consisted of grabbing whatever was on sale at the time. That’s all stopped and I now exclusively buy the Schick Quattro Titanium.

It gives a thorough clean shave and lasts much longer than other brands. It might be a tad more expensive but like so much else in life, you get what you pay for.
Yep. Quattro Titanium. I use a regular Mach3 normally, but Schick disposables were on sale recently, plus I had a coupon, so each of them came to something like 50 cents apiece. The Quattro is tolerable, the closest to a decent shave I've found. Don't use Bics unless you're actually destitute.

Also, I've taken to swabbing the blades with an Alcohol pad afterwards and storing it outside the bathroom. Really helps keep the corrosion and buildup of skin at bay.

ETA: I guess I'm "thirding" the Titaniums.

Last edited by lindsaybluth; 01-17-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Old 01-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Charter Member

I get good results from Gillette Mach 3 Turbo. I can get a full week out of one blade, but I'm not especially beard-y.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm married, but she uses her own brand.
What about Kid Czarcasm? If he's old enough to shave, he might just steal yours instead of getting his own.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:35 PM

I've had good success with Gillette CustomPlus 3. Very smooth, comfortable shave the first time, and still good after 4 to 5 shaves. (I have a pretty thick beard.) For me, it has turned out to be better than a Mach 3 in terms of getting the tricky parts like near the nostrils and the side of the lips.

Also available with two blades but I find I get a closer shave with the 3-blade version.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
For this thread, I'd like to stick to the topic of disposable razors, please.
Taking cost into account I would still consider the powered mach-3. I use them for 2 weeks at $1.70 per blade. To date, this is the only thing I've found that won't cut me and delivers a close shave. As they dull they still shave without cutting but it's a rougher shave (made better by shaving after I shower). I don't understand why the blades cost so damn much and their newer versions are even more. I think they should cost .50 cents but then again I'm willing to pay more because I can't do any better.

If you're on the road and need a small pack of disposables then I would get Gillette twin blades.

Blades aside there is a lot that affects how well ANY shave goes but that is a separate thread. I will note for discussion purposes I shave 2 twice with each use. Once down over my whole face and then down again on the neck and upper lip and then up for everywhere else. So I'm getting a month's worth of shaving out of the blade.

Last edited by Magiver; 01-17-2011 at 05:47 PM..
Old 01-17-2011, 08:17 PM

Just out of curiosity: why the preference for disposables over disposable blades? Seems a waste.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
Just out of curiosity: why the preference for disposables over disposable blades? Seems a waste.
If I'm on a trip and forget my razor, I'd rather pick up a cheap disposable than a whole new razor.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:06 PM

You are all bumming me out, I had a coupon for Bics and picked up 2 packages of men's Bic disposables, because they looked better than any of the women's ones....it was buy one get one free....am I looking at use once toss quality?
Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

One word: laser. With your hair colour and texture (IIRC from when I met you), you would be a perfect candidate for it. You wouldn't have to get a full removal, but a couple of treatments (probably $125-$150 total) would beat the hair down enough that you might be able to cut your shaving time and effort by 2/3 to 3/4, and you wouldn't have nearly the trouble with razors.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Gillette Good News Pivot Plus is the only razor anyone in my family will use. I don't know how they work for guys but I can use the same one for several weeks to shave my legs every day. After that they work but it's not as smooth. Just about every other razor feels like that from the beginning though.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
If I'm on a trip and forget my razor, I'd rather pick up a cheap disposable than a whole new razor.
You need a 12-pack on a trip?

ETA: For clarification, I'm getting the impression that disposables are being purchased in bulk for home use. What I'd like to try to understand is why that would be preferable to purchasing disposable blades.

Last edited by Brown Eyed Girl; 01-18-2011 at 11:40 AM..
Old 01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Eyed Girl View Post
You need a 12-pack on a trip?

ETA: For clarification, I'm getting the impression that disposables are being purchased in bulk for home use. What I'd like to try to understand is why that would be preferable to purchasing disposable blades.
For clarification, if you wish to debate the use of disposable blades vs. disposable razors you are invited to start a thread for that purpose. This thread is for discussing disposable razors.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:30 PM

Oh Grand Exalted Emperor of Sarcasm, please explain why you couldn't just buy some disposable razors if you forgot your razor on a trip.

Last edited by TriPolar; 01-18-2011 at 12:31 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Oh Grand Exalted Emperor of Sarcasm, please explain why you couldn't just buy some disposable razors if you forgot your razor on a trip.
That is what we are talking about-which disposable razors to buy, and which to avoid.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:39 PM

I don't particularly want to debate it. Just wanted to comprehend why disposables were preferred for home use. If you don't feel the need to explain, whatever. ::shrug::

FWIW, I use disposable blades (Mach some#) and I wasn't aware that disposable razors were inferior in practical use to disposable blades. It looks like the Titaniums that were recommended upthread are available in both disposable form and reusable handle/replacement blade. The blades do not appear to be different between the two types. Is this incorrect?

What I want to know specifically is this: Is there a practical difference between the blades of a disposable razor and reusable one that uses blade cartridges?

I think my posts must be coming across as judgey and I don't mean that. I'm really just curious from a practical standpoint.

Last edited by Brown Eyed Girl; 01-18-2011 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: gah punctuation
Old 01-18-2011, 12:57 PM

I haven't found a disposable that is heavy enough. The thin plastic head is so light it glides and skips over my face missing most of the beard. I need something with a bit of bulk and weight.

Last edited by aceplace57; 01-18-2011 at 12:59 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
That is what we are talking about-which disposable razors to buy, and which to avoid.
In this case you were explaining why you didn't use a razor with replaceable blades, my Liege.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:53 PM

I use the Gillette Good News disposable razors, the blue ones that come in a 12-pack. I only have to shave every other day, and one razor lasts two weeks. Actually, that's just the timetable I go by; I've used them for longer with no ill effects. I'm not sure if this makes a difference in their life, but I only buy the ones without that slime strip on them, which I can't stand.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:55 PM

Of the half dozen + or so non-electric razors I have tried none has worked better than (generic) BIC single blade sensitive skin disposables.

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-Single-Sha.../dp/B00070QF0C

I buy the generics rather than the BIC brand, a pack of 12 costs $1 at the dollar store. I always throw them out after one use, they only cost me $0.09 each.

I can't remember all the razors I have tried. Mach 3, quattro, fusion, tracer, single blade, double blade disposables, etc. None cut as cleanly with as few nics as the BIC sensitive skin single blade.

It even cuts well w/o a shower first. I used to have to wait to shave until after I had showered so the water would soften my facial hair (if I shaved w/o a shower beforehand I'd cut myself and rip hairs out of my face with other razors). With the generic BIC I can just use warm water on a washcloth.

Last edited by Wesley Clark; 01-18-2011 at 03:57 PM..
Old 01-18-2011, 04:11 PM

I've tried quite a few disposable razors and disposable razor cartridges and I have found that not a single one of them was worth the money. I'd get one shave out of the razor, two or three out of a cartridge. So I got a Merkur safety razor and I use double sided Derby Extra blades. I get about two weeks of good shaves out of a blade and they cost me less than 10 cents each.

So, to answer the question, avoid all of the disposables.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM

Bic single blades, You can really press on them and go over an area multiple times without cutting or damaging your skin.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:07 PM

I have tried various disposables, Gillette Mach 3, and Wilkinson Sword Quattro, and I am now convinced that for me, Bic single blade disposables give me the best combination of a decent shave and value for money. I tend to shave once every two days on average, and I get 3-4 shaves out of each Bic. I found the multi-bladed razors gave a few more shaves but nowhere near enough to justify their price.

Of course, everyone will have a different answer because everyone's skin and stubble are different - for example, I find electric razors do not work at all well for me.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:40 PM

I use the Gillette Custom Plus Pivot which is very similar to the Gillette Good News Pivot Plus but it just feels better to me. Could be all in my head though. They usually last me about a week and a half. I bought a 52 pack at Sam's for $23.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaybluth View Post
Yep. Quattro Titanium. I use a regular Mach3 normally, but Schick disposables were on sale recently, plus I had a coupon, so each of them came to something like 50 cents apiece. The Quattro is tolerable, the closest to a decent shave I've found.
Thought I'd bump with an update.

So I got those disposable Quattro Titaniums for traveling only and used the Mach 3 at home. We both HATE the Fusion; it somehow tugged and pulled at my hair and he didn't feel that it gave as close of a shave as the Mach3.

I ran out of the Quattros and needed a new bag of disposables. My little brother's girlfriend is half Mexican (so, just as hairy as little bro and I are) and she swears up and down for what Nars Glinley suggested: the Gillette Custom Plus Pivot. They rang up incorrectly at the grocery store so I got 'em for free. I wasn't expecting much at all.

I was stunned to discover that I prefer them over the Mach3. For legs & underarms they're absolutely great. He slightly prefers the Custom Plus Pivots on his face to the Mach 3. Can't beat the price, either. $7 for a pack of 10 around here, I think the Mach 3 blades run at least $2 a pop. They probably last 75% as long but are 1/3 the cost. We wipe the blade with an alcohol swab and store it outside the bathroom to make it last longer, just as we've always done this for the Mach 3.

He has a moderate preference for shaving his junk with the non-disposable Mach 3 and I a slight preference for shaving my bikini line with the Mach 3 as well. His reasoning was "the Mach 3 has the best pivoting head I've found in a region where I need it to fit to the contours".
Old 07-01-2011, 05:04 PM

I've always gone with whatever twin-blade looked like a good value at the time. 3+ blades always seemed like marketing overkill (can't wait for the Schick Dec-a-Shave) but I have recently decided to up the ante to triple blades after having some less than stellar twin-blade experiences. I still doubt I'll ever be brand loyal however.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsaybluth View Post
Thought I'd bump with an update.

So I got those disposable Quattro Titaniums for traveling only and used the Mach 3 at home. We both HATE the Fusion; it somehow tugged and pulled at my hair and he didn't feel that it gave as close of a shave as the Mach3.

I ran out of the Quattros and needed a new bag of disposables. My little brother's girlfriend is half Mexican (so, just as hairy as little bro and I are) and she swears up and down for what Nars Glinley suggested: the Gillette Custom Plus Pivot. They rang up incorrectly at the grocery store so I got 'em for free. I wasn't expecting much at all.

I was stunned to discover that I prefer them over the Mach3. For legs & underarms they're absolutely great. He slightly prefers the Custom Plus Pivots on his face to the Mach 3. Can't beat the price, either. $7 for a pack of 10 around here, I think the Mach 3 blades run at least $2 a pop. They probably last 75% as long but are 1/3 the cost. We wipe the blade with an alcohol swab and store it outside the bathroom to make it last longer, just as we've always done this for the Mach 3.

He has a moderate preference for shaving his junk with the non-disposable Mach 3 and I a slight preference for shaving my bikini line with the Mach 3 as well. His reasoning was "the Mach 3 has the best pivoting head I've found in a region where I need it to fit to the contours".
Are you talking about the powered Mach 3 and Fussion or manual versions? The powered ones are suppose to feel like they're tugging. I've only used the powered Mach 3 and prefer it because it doesn't cut me.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahia hombre View Post
I've always gone with whatever twin-blade looked like a good value at the time. 3+ blades always seemed like marketing overkill (can't wait for the Schick Dec-a-Shave) but I have recently decided to up the ante to triple blades after having some less than stellar twin-blade experiences. I still doubt I'll ever be brand loyal however.
I can't go back to twin blades. The 3 or 4 blades are so much softer, and they last forevah!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:39 PM

They last even longer if you strop them or whatever it's called. When it starts pulling at your skin, find some blue jeans and run the blade backwards over the jean a couple of times. It smooths out the edges of the blades and you get a bunch more shaves.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
Are you talking about the powered Mach 3 and Fussion or manual versions? The powered ones are suppose to feel like they're tugging. I've only used the powered Mach 3 and prefer it because it doesn't cut me.
Whoops, sorry I didn't make that clearer. I own both a powered Mach 3 and a powered Fusion. I've tried them both on manual and on the power settings - the power setting is a little bit closer of a shave than manually. Both are bested by the Custom Pivot Plus, both on his face and on my underarms and legs. He has a moderate and I a slight preference to the powered Mach 3 for "down there" shaving.

The Mach 3 used either way is better than the Fusion used either way, which (naturally) boggles the mind.

Of course, in trying the Custom Pivot Plus I expected nothing, what with one razor costing 1/3 to 1/2 of a Mach 3 blade and being a disposable. I was very surprised.

ETA: Inner Stickler, I've read mixed things on the blue jeans things, so I opted not to do it. It's good for people to look into, still.

Last edited by lindsaybluth; 07-01-2011 at 08:16 PM..
Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I recently picked up what I think is the best disposable I've ever had-the Bic Hybrid Advanced. It is unusual in that it comes with six cartridges, but is still disposable because you can't buy the cartridges separately from the razor. It has three blades and a nicely curved handle, it rinses off easy, and I am still on the same first blade out of the six after using it daily for the last three weeks. I paid $7 for it, and at this rate it'll last for 4 1/2 months or so.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:10 PM

Whether you are using disposable blades or the full disposable razors, you can increase their lifetime considerably by stropping them. There are a lot of techniques, but my favorite is this, simply because it is so convenient, but if you look at the suggested videos you will see a lot of alternatives. I do agree that most disposable razors suck and should be used only in an emergency.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:44 PM

I wanted to try the Bic Sensitive single blade because they had a lot of positive reviews but I can't bring myself to after the last Bic I used in high school. The Bic Solei - not a close shave and then hours later my legs were on FIRE. I always exfoliate (wash cloth rubbed gently in circles on my leg) before shaving but these somehow gave me horribly irritated skin and no less than 6 ingrown hairs on my legs when I'd never had an ingrown hair on my legs before or since.

These Bic Metal's have excellent ratings - anyone used them?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethelbert View Post
Whether you are using disposable blades or the full disposable razors, you can increase their lifetime considerably by stropping them. There are a lot of techniques, but my favorite is this, simply because it is so convenient, but if you look at the suggested videos you will see a lot of alternatives. I do agree that most disposable razors suck and should be used only in an emergency.
Bumping this thread to thank ethelbert for the link. I've been using the same Schick Hydro for 2 months now of daily use. Whenever it starts to pull, I just strop it against my arm and it's almost good as new. It will be interesting to see how long I can make it last.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:14 AM

Bic Sensitive single-blades for me.

If you shave daily, and actually know how to use them, they give the best shave out there from a disposable razor, bar none.

Problem is, there's a fair amount of know-how and technique required to use them properly.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bump View Post
Bic Sensitive single-blades for me.

If you shave daily, and actually know how to use them, they give the best shave out there from a disposable razor, bar none.

Problem is, there's a fair amount of know-how and technique required to use them properly.
Sharp side in, right?
Old 09-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

I use those pink ones with two blades that come in a plastic bag. They may be Bic, but I'm not sure. One lasts me quite a long time, but then I have a beard, so it's just neck and cheek shaving. I've tried other disposables, but they last maybe two shaves. Oh, and I only shave using hot water after a shower: no shaving cream.
Old 09-12-2011, 12:42 PM

There is no fundamental difference between disposables and cartridge razors.

Also - you mentioned you make sure your razors are dry? How? If you wipe them with anything, in any direction, you're dulling the blade. Just give them a good rinse and a good shake. Don't touch the blade to anything except your skin.

If you're worried about rust and whatnot, you can keep your used razor immersed in a cup of rubbing alcohol between uses.

Everyone's mileage will vary considerably when it comes to razors - the ph of your water, what you're using for soap/cream, the ph of your skin, the density of your hair will all affect a blade's longevity.

For most people it's just trial and error until you find what works for you. You're lucky you like disposables - they're cheap. And you don't necessarily get what you pay for. Just keep trying different brands until you find what works for you.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Sharp side in, right?
Among other things, yeah.

With the Bic sensitive disposables (the yellow handle/white head ones), there's a large component of blade/face angle that you don't or can't really mess with if you have a pivoting head razor. That's how you get a really, really close shave- you learn how to do it just right, so that it cuts really close, and doesn't scrape you.

That's also why so many people have bad results with those razors- they're used to the pivoting style that you just place against face & drag, with no real technique involved, other than knowing which way your hair grows, so you don't drag the wrong way.