Disposable Razors-The Good, The Bad, and The Bloody

I’m looking for which disposable blades to use, and which to avoid. I picked up a 12 pack of twin-blade Old Spice razors, and the first shave was damnfinegood. Two days later I tried the same blade again, and the thing wasn’t capable of cutting through wet rice paper. Now, I clean my blades and dry them thoroughly, and there wasn’t any debris or rust on the razor for the second try…but it was totally useless. I tried out another in the pack, with the same result. 12 razors=12 shaves.

Why cut your throat? Just cave in and get a Fusion razor. I get 2 weeks worth of full head shaves out of a cartridge, and if you but them in bulk from Amazon they aren’t that pricey.

For this thread, I’d like to stick to the topic of disposable razors, please.

The only kind I’ve found to be any good were Gilette. Bic razors seem to slide right over the top of my leg hair, and for god’s sake don’t get Wilkinson Sword, you’ll bleed to death.

Are the Gillettes twin blades?

Yes. Not only that, but they even have disposable versions of their 3- and 5-blade systems that silenus praises. There seems to little difference between their disposable and non-disposable options, other than the (in)ability to detach the blade from the handle.

Are they easy to rinse clean? I am a stickler about making sure the blades are clean and dry after use-this is what befuddled me about the Old Spice blades. How could they possibly be that dull after only one use?

Are you married? I haven’t used razor blades for a long time, but when mine went dull fast, the usual reason was someone else using them for unauthorized purposes.

In the past my disposable razor shopping consisted of grabbing whatever was on sale at the time. That’s all stopped and I now exclusively buy the Schick Quattro Titanium.

It gives a thorough clean shave and lasts much longer than other brands. It might be a tad more expensive but like so much else in life, you get what you pay for.

I’m married, but she uses her own brand.

I’ve yet to find a disposable razor that will last me more than a single shave. I’ll second the Schick Quattro Titanium suggestion from minlokwat though I’m far too cheap to get them on a regular basis.

I’ll have to pop in later with the actual name of the razor, but I’m pretty excited about a generic brand I get from WalMart. I shave my face and neck about twice a week, and I typically go for 2-3 months on one razor.

Yep. Quattro Titanium. I use a regular Mach3 normally, but Schick disposables were on sale recently, plus I had a coupon, so each of them came to something like 50 cents apiece. The Quattro is tolerable, the closest to a decent shave I’ve found. Don’t use Bics unless you’re actually destitute.

Also, I’ve taken to swabbing the blades with an Alcohol pad afterwards and storing it outside the bathroom. Really helps keep the corrosion and buildup of skin at bay.

ETA: I guess I’m “thirding” the Titaniums.

I get good results from Gillette Mach 3 Turbo. I can get a full week out of one blade, but I’m not especially beard-y.

What about Kid Czarcasm? If he’s old enough to shave, he might just steal yours instead of getting his own.:smiley:

I’ve had good success with Gillette CustomPlus 3. Very smooth, comfortable shave the first time, and still good after 4 to 5 shaves. (I have a pretty thick beard.) For me, it has turned out to be better than a Mach 3 in terms of getting the tricky parts like near the nostrils and the side of the lips.

Also available with two blades but I find I get a closer shave with the 3-blade version.

Taking cost into account I would still consider the powered mach-3. I use them for 2 weeks at $1.70 per blade. To date, this is the only thing I’ve found that won’t cut me and delivers a close shave. As they dull they still shave without cutting but it’s a rougher shave (made better by shaving after I shower). I don’t understand why the blades cost so damn much and their newer versions are even more. I think they should cost .50 cents but then again I’m willing to pay more because I can’t do any better.

If you’re on the road and need a small pack of disposables then I would get Gillette twin blades.

Blades aside there is a lot that affects how well ANY shave goes but that is a separate thread. I will note for discussion purposes I shave 2 twice with each use. Once down over my whole face and then down again on the neck and upper lip and then up for everywhere else. So I’m getting a month’s worth of shaving out of the blade.

Just out of curiosity: why the preference for disposables over disposable blades? Seems a waste.

If I’m on a trip and forget my razor, I’d rather pick up a cheap disposable than a whole new razor.

You are all bumming me out, I had a coupon for Bics and picked up 2 packages of men’s Bic disposables, because they looked better than any of the women’s ones…it was buy one get one free…am I looking at use once toss quality?